Holy Sale: Warner Steam Bundle Is A Bit Good

By John Walker on December 20th, 2011 at 9:02 am.

The Joker loves a bargain.

Edit: We’re reading below that lots of regions outside the UK are being charged a really very much larger sum. Which sucks. Valve will always insist prices are decided by publishers, so yell at Warner. There’s also confusion over the inclusion of Arkham City and War In The North – to be absolutely clear, the Warner Complete Pack definitely currently includes those games, whether by design or mistake. It also seems that some regions can’t see the deal at all. The solution: move to the UK.

I’m never quite sure whether posting about the Steam sale is doing mindless promotion for the company, or alerting our readers to amazing prices for games. I’m going with the latter in this instance, because bloody hell, this one took me by surprise. Not boasted of on the front page of Steam’s decidedly confusing sales page (not including the names of the games on sale is perhaps an odd choice) is the Warner Complete Pack. Clearly one of many extraordinarily reduced bundles (19 THQ games for £50, 80 Sega games for £70 for instance), the Warner bundle brings 18 games for £40, and one of them is Batman: Arkham City. So that’s basically “buy Arkham City, get every other Warner game on Steam free.” And one of those is Bastion. And another is the brand new Lord Of The Rings: War In The North. And of course yet another is Batman: Arkham Asylum.

So here’s the complete list of what you get for the price of one game:

Bastion
Bastion’s soundtrack
Batman: Arkham City
Arkham City’s Nightwing and Robin bundles
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
F.E.A.R.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, plus Reborn DLC
F.E.A.R. 3
F.E.A.R.s Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate
LEGO Batman
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
Lord Of The Rings: War In The North
Watchmen: The End Is Nigh 1 and 2

Unreduced that lot would cost you £272.32 on Valve’s store. So, I’m going to venture that forty quid is a reasonably decent offer.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dzamir says:

It’s 75€ in Italy :'(

Fede says:

Yes, unfortunately.
      The Paradox sale for 75€ seems a better deal here (30+ games with what seems to be *all* expansions and DLC, for a total of 101 items).

PoulWrist says:

Yea, I was like “wow, I’m buying that” but then I log in and it’s 74,99€ and I go screw it. I already had several of the others, only not on steam, I cared about arkham city at a discount…

• f1x says:

Actually 75 euros in spain aswell
      I was hoping this holiday sale to get arkham city or AC:Revelations for a lesser price, but dosnt look like its gonna happen

Carra says:

I might have bought it at €50, even if I already own a few of those games.

Now it’s a no-no.

2. Innovacious says:

Apparently its $75 in Americaland. Makes me think there is some sort of mixup? neither Arkham City or War in the North are supposed to get price reductions (says so on the publisher catalogs page). Sure, this isn’t a direct price reduction of the titles, but it still seems fishy.

• scatterbrainless says:

yeah, $75 USD in Australia too, I’m guessing that’s what it should be in the rest of Europe and they just screwed up with the currency, given that 40 pounds should be roughly $75 USD

3. wyvaud says:

Actually there’s an asterisk – no War in the north or Arkham city included.

Edit – oh wait I see the confusion now – the publisher catalogue says neither of those, but the warner complete bundle does. Most odd.

Dbl edit – well, get it before they realise I guess. Can anyone confirm whether buying the pack actually gets you those games?

• andytt66 says:

Yeah, given the asterisk and the fact that the publisher sale specifically says it *doesn’t* include Arkham City and War in the North… .I think I’m going to wait for someone else to try this ‘un first.

Portal 2 for a fiver is a done deal, mind you.

Oh fuck it. *clicks*

Huh. Installing Arkham City as we speak. Cool.

• Innovacious says:

The publisher catalog says “-33% Most Warner Bros. games*”, excluding those 2. It doesn’t say they are not included in any packs. Still, seems odd that the rest of the world is seeing it as $75/€75.

4. Mechorpheus says:

Interestingly you say that this £40 is ‘buy Arkham City and get every other game free’. I managed to snap up that game for £24 on GetGames the week after it launched, so its not THAT expensive. Still an incredible deal though (unless, like me, you already own more than half the games in that pack, which is fast becoming the main reason I don’t get excited about Steam sales anymore).

Loved the game though, certainly one the best games I’ve played this year, not being very interested in Skyrim (I really didn’t get on with Oblivion, or Fallout 3).

• Adventsparky says:

I have friends who hated both but love Skyrim. Give it a try.

• John Walker says:

I struggled to get on with Oblivion, and decidedly didn’t like FO3, but I am utterly ridiculously in love with Skyrim. Go for it.

• sneetch says:

I gave up on Oblivion and Fallout almost immediately, once I was booted out into the world. I think I personally need to be led by the hand until I find my feet in the world, so to speak, otherwise I just go “so… what now?” faff about a bit then give up and play another game but Skyrim was much better somehow. It could be that it gives you a few major directions you can go in before it sends you off into the world with dozens of other side-quests and little jobs. It’s lovely stuff and it’s inspired me to give Fallout another shot (once I get a chance that is, so probably never with sales like this).

Edit: also is it a terrible thing that I already own just about all those games, from previous sales mind you. Just have to clone myself in order to have time to play them… I’d turn off the requirement for sleep if I could at this stage.

Carra says:

Skyrim is fun but Fallout 3 is where my heart is. Fallout 3 was my game of the year, Skyrim will be on my top 5 games.

I like the humor in Fallout 3, the combat and the fact that the game isn’t taking itself 100% seriously.

• MiniMatt says:

I would just squeak from the corner to say Fallout New Vegas was, in my oh so humble opinion, infinitely superior to Fallout 3. On a technical level sure they’re both very similar, and both had some rather bad technical failings (as has Skyrim of course) but the storytelling, the atmosphere and the quest design in Vegas was much improved and certainly up there with Skyrim.

• Skabooga says:

Plus, playing Fallout 3 makes me depressed, but playing Fallout: NV leaves me cheery as can be. Probably all the bright sunshine in the latter.

LarsBR says:

They’re sure trying their hardest to train us to think that buying stuff at full price at release is for chumps.

• JFS says:

Well. It is. Except regarding Skyrim.

• johnpeat says:

Skyrim is included too – the best deal anyone seems to have landed ‘at launch’ was £29.99ish

It’s 19.99 from several places already – that’s 1/3 of it’s best price (and 1/2 RRP) inside a month.

I didn’t expect that tbh – Oblivion remained expensive until very recently – but there you go…

6. Avenger says:

Is this some kind of joke, or bad journalism? (apologetic withdrawal. It was Steams’ virtual oceans. See below)

The page SPECIFICALLY SAYS :
    Excludes: Batman: Arkham City and Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

If you are not into Lego games and you already played FEAR series, it is a pretty weak bundle…

• MaXimillion says:

Warner Bros. Complete Pack != Warner Bros. Publisher Catalog

Llewyn says:

There’s nothing wrong with the journalism, only your ability to read the bundle.

• John Walker says:

I do love it when people reach for the “journalism” button.

• andytt66 says:

video gamez r srs bizness

• Avenger says:

I don’t want to ruin your parade but THERE IS NO WARNER BROS PACK.

Only the publisher catalog. That’s it.

And your link goes to the steam homepage

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah, something’s a bit wonky. Not crying “bad journalism” or anything, I just suspect steam has since removed the bundle or something as I can’t seem to find it and the Warner complete pack is alot more expensive.

This seems to happen with steam sales, though. For a little while after the sale first went up today, Dead Island + it’s strategy guide was only like 10 dollars. Which was most definitely an error and corrected pretty quickly.

• cwoac says:

Looks like a UK only.
      I used the link above, saw the bundle, paid £40, now have arkham city in my steam list, so its definately working at the moment.

• andytt66 says:

Might be UK only. But this is how you find it.
      1) Go to steam main store page
      2) Scroll down to the “Pack Deals – available through Jan 2″ box
      3) Click on “see all featured pack deals”
      4) Scroll down to “Warner Brothers Complete Pack”
      5) Click on this, check that Arkham City is in there, and purchase. or not.

I’ve tested it, and it works from within the UK. Obv, with steam regional weirdness, it might be different elsewhere

• Avenger says:

Oooohh….

Nevermind. I got it.
      Actually… please MIND. John, would you be kind enough add an edit below to mention this deal is probably unavailable to many many countries, excluding of course, the civilized and modern lands such as the Queens Kingdom?

Now I check to see that Arkham City itself is removed, (REMOVED no less) from Steam. A little VPN switch proves that it is still available in UK.

I really don’t why would torture us like this…

• John Walker says:

I can promise you that from within the UK, that link goes to the complete bundle, and it’s very much still there.

Steam must be blocking access on a regional level, as is often the case with games released in one location, but not another.

Head here:

Then click through.

• Innovacious says:

No warner bros pack? works fine here http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13024/

EDIT: dear god. Like 6million posts between me refreshing the page, reading a comment and posting. I’m so slow. I also exaggerate.

• Mattressi says:

It’s definitely not UK only – I’m in Australia (notorious for having many games left out of sales on Steam and for having games cost twice as much in USD than in the US) and even I can see the Warner Complete pack. Very good value for us actually – same price as it is in the US, except that normally Arkham City costs $99.99 USD on Steam for us (yes, really) and the new LoTR costs $73.99 USD. So, for $74.99, we’re getting a discounted Arkham City, plus all the other games.

Still, I don’t think I’d like Batman games and RPS haven’t reviewed the new LoTR (to my knowledge…I really should check before posting but…you know…) so I don’t think I’ll get it. But it certainly seems like great value for any Aussies that want those games (or even just one of them).

• tenseiga says:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13024/?cc=uk is the link you want. Enjoy your lucky crumpet eating sods.

• Avenger says:

Now, THAT is journalism. I could never have found out about this elusive “cc=” variable. You have spared time to address the issues of the underlings of the world by providing a link that targets the problem directly.

I salute you sir John Walker.

However, my cheers and laughter of joy were suddenly silenced when the purchase operation hit the infamous wall commonly known as “There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.”

Oh Steam, why have you forsaken me?

Anybody had any similar problem? I am hopeful it is a general issue (Yes, I am hoping nobody is able to buy anything since I can’t)

• Kal says:

Well if you’re not actually /in/ the UK, using the cc= variable so you can view the UK’s version of the store still won’t actually let you buy anything. You’d need to use a VPN for that. Including the cc= bit is just so you can verify that this deal is really there and that John wasn’t a terrible, terrible journalist.

• MondSemmel says:

Well, if it’s a regional deal in the UK and you don’t _live_ in the UK, simply ask somebody in the RPS forums to help you with “Steam Smuggling”. (It’s not actually illegal – you just get somebody to gift you the UK version and pay them e.g. via paypal.)
      EDIT: It’s found here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?73-RPS-Data-Smuggling-Ring-2-Smugglier

• Avenger says:

It sounds neat, but a little shady for my taste. Besides, how can one easily trust a random stranger on a website? He might be a Nigerian prince. Who knows? Anyway, it sounds OK for a plan B.

Anybody successful with the VPN trick? My deal seems to go well until the moment the payment comes up. For some reason Steam blocks the purchase based on my ACCOUNT rather than my IP.

Any pointers?

gnodab says:

>Even if I were wrong, which of course I’m not, I’m hardly reporting from the war-torn trenches!

but, but John!
      What about the great bundle wars of 2011!
      How can you forget? Must probably be the shell shock…

• TensaiBoy says:

OK so i don’t know how widely spread this ‘knowledge’ is and i don’t want to sound overly dramatic, as it may perhaps not happen to you if you’re super lucky but DON’T BUY GAMES FROM OTHER REGIONS IN STEAM through a vpn, don’t do it (sounds you can’t anyways).

That is like the only thing you can do to get Valve to completely kill you account, and it’s super obvious. I know some people who are oblivious and still have their accounts, but not worth the risk imo. Just get people to trade it to you like mentioned above (i don’t know about the credibility of open register forums like RPS but if you’re on -say- GAF or smth there are ppl you can easily trust).

• riandrake says:

Just cause you’re an idiot, Arkham City and War in the North ARE included. How do I know? Because no matter what ‘the publisher said’, the pack INCLUDED them. And I BOUGHT it.

7. MaXimillion says:

And all riddled with GFWL no doubt? :(

8. nasenbluten says:

75 € & SecuROM + GFWL… Thanks, but no thanks.

9. Jimbo says:

It’s certainly no worse than all of the mindless promotion for those indie bundles.

• Rich says:

Oooh get you!

• John Walker says:

Yes, it’s so HIDEOUS of us to alert readers to great value deals on brilliant games. We are awful people.

• Mattressi says:

I’m intrigued – I can at least see how the hipster-like “you’re a sellout for covering mainstream games” comments can exist, but how can the same sentiment exist for indie games? I mean, RPS is a mainstream(ish) game site – every bloody post that it makes is bound to be some form of “promotion” for a game, since they’re obviously going to be talking about a specific game rather than an abstract concept which the evil mainstream corporations don’t own. Should RPS just stop posting about games altogether? Is it OK if they just review games (but only if they’ve bought the games rather than been given them by publishers and only if they hate them)?

• Jimbo says:

I was commenting on why you feel you should be all hand-wringy about covering this or any other Steam offer (‘mindless promotion’ were your words), but not, apparently, when covering every indie bundle that comes along. If you feel it’s a good deal for your readers then it’s a good deal for your readers; it shouldn’t matter whether it’s genuinely good games being sold on Steam or genuinely good charity being sold by indie developers.

AndrewC says:

They do. Stop.

• Jimbo says:

That makes no sense. Are you dictating a telegram?

• MiniMatt says:

They do get a bit hand-wringy about indie bundle deluge. Stop. They’re equal opportunity bundleers. Stop. First sentence of every article linked http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/bundle/ Stop.

Stop.

Bundleer is my new favourite word. Stop.

• Guvornator says:

“We are awful”

But we like you…

10. Balerion says:

Batman: Arkham City not even available on my Steam… I guess they still hate us for almost blocking the EFSF… oh well

11. Marar Patrunjica says:

I can’t find the Bundle anywhere on Steam and the links posted here (store.steampowered.com/sub/13024/) redirect me to the frontpage, I’m guessing it’s not available in Eastern Europe, pity.

Edit: Just noticed, Arkham City isn’t available either, what a sham.

12. Boggot says:

I found it on the main page, maybe its a UK only thing? just bought it up and included Arkham city.
    On my steam its called
    “Warner Bros. Complete Pack”

Christian says:

Damnit…I swore not to buy Arkham City because of GFWL…but this is tempting..seems they might be tricking me in to getting it after all.
    Damn you Steam, damn you I say!!

btw: In Germany it’s also the Complete Pack and costs € 75,- (minus F.E.A.R. though (2 and 3 are in it)).

14. pmanpman says:

In aus you get war in the north and then you get everything else for $1 buy before jan 2 peeps

15. superemmjay says:

I already own both Batmans and Bastion. Someone willing to trade those in and/or get them cheaper from me?

>> Apparently, you can’t even do that. -.- Sorry about asking.

• Rich says:

Indeed. No giving away portions of packs on Steam. It’s all or nothing.

Christian says:

Wait, what? So if I already own Batman AA and I buy this pack, I won’t be able to give it away (in the delightful RPS-forums for example)?

• andytt66 says:

Christian : Precisely. I already owned AA from a previous deal, and when you buy this pack it specifically says that you will not be able to give the surplus copy of AA to anyone.

Christian says:

Oh, ok. Thanks for pointing that out. That’s a deal-breaker for me (I’m feeling social today).

• mondomau says:

I already own AA (though steam didn’t seem to think so?) and Bastion, so both are effectively ‘wasted’ but this is still a fantastic deal. 8 games plus DLC for the RRP of Arkham City? Seems a bit silly to throw it out the window because you can’t fling spare copies about.

16. Saarlaender39 says:

It`s ~ € 75,- here in Germany.
    And given the fact, I already own five out of the eleven games (+3DLCs and 1 OST), and from the rest of the bundle only Batman:AC (and maybe the Robin/Nightwing-DLCs) are of any real interest for me…(which would cost me ~ € 62,- if purchased alone) – this is no deal for me.

17. max pain says:

F.E.A.R! Best modern shooter to date!

• SiHy_ says:

Ha ha ha. Oh wait, you were serious. Let me laugh louder. HA HA HA HA HA!!

18. senile peasant says:

For Australians it’s cheaper to buy the entire bundle ($74.99 USD) as opposed to buying Batman: Arkham City ($99.95) as a single purchase…

19. markcocjin says:

Dear John Walker,

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO BYPASS STEAM REGIONAL PRICING & RESTRICTIONS:

1. Go to Steam Trading Forums here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1189

2. Make a new thread titled: [W] Warner Steam Bundle [H] Any game/pack worth 40 USD

3. Sweeten the deal and offer something for the effort like a ten percent more for the 40 dollar price.

Valve can’t go around advertising this workaround since it could upset publishers and governments so it’s up to you to figure out how to exploit this thing we call Steam Trading. Euro, Dollar, Pound.. it no longer matters. It all depends on how bad you want something, and what that other person needs badly as well.

I traded my two dota keys for Skyrim. Pretty sweet deal for a soon to be free to play game in exchange for a sixty dollar game don’t you say?

• Kal says:

Why would you bother doing that when a VPN is so easy to set up? Are there no decent free VPN providers with a UK endpoint? (For obvious reasons I’ve never had to VPN /in/ to the UK.)

• Milky1985 says:

Because if valve catch you using a VPN then they can ban your account, if you are using the steam trading thing, you are simply using steam as intended.

• MiniMatt says:

Actually on this one – can they? Do they? On a purely technical level the only method to “catch you” is an IP lookup against a Geo database. And an IP exiting from the end of a VPN looks no different to an IP coming out of any other part of the internet. There’s a darn good chance you’re reading this right now with bits of information travelling some of the hops across a VPN.

Now actually purchasing stuff from another country gets a bit vague as that could be seen to be bypassing local taxes, something governments tend to frown on and something that Valve in no way wants to be seen facilitating or condoning.

But as a straight “you’ll be banned from using a VPN” is from a technical standpoint bordering on the absurd. I vaguely recall one of those “everyone in the world has now preloaded this game, and paid for it (inc tax) properly in their local currency, it’ll start working on Tuesday in the US, but UK folks will have to sit watching their encrypted copy till Friday before it unlocks”; now it just so happens I had a business trip to the US on Tuesday and I took my laptop, and lo and behold my game unlocked, then I came back to the UK…. Or I popped out of a VPN tunnel.

• TensaiBoy says:

Yes they do.
      They have the information from where your account was set up, from where it’s accessed and where the payment actually comes from (your bank won’t vpn that for you^^). You’re not allowed to buy games from a different region period, even if you go on vacation or move, you have to tell Valve and ask them to flag your account for international purchases.

It’s a bit big brother but thank the publishers for that.

TL:DR, yes people got banned over that, no matter if you want to believe it or not, so just don’t do it. Not meaning to sound condescending.

(for the record unlocking games early through VPN is no problem, i got the FM demo that way too, you just mustn’t BUY anything through VPN)

20. autexre says:

Attention Arkham Idiots: Major stuttering in the cutscenes wing of the PC mansion! I hope our little Batmaaaan doesn’t find himself caught in one of those……. heheheheheheheheheheeh

(I’ve tried playing this game on PC over a month now and still can’t get passed the stutter, which also effects gameplay, X9 & 11)

21. Boozebeard says:

They’ve changed it now, there is a note under the deal stating that it doesn’t contain Arkham City or War in the north :C

Edit: Oh except when you click on it they are still listed, so did it always have that little note? Don’t want to buy it and find they aren’t included, own most the other games already ><

• mondomau says:

They do include it. I just bought it and they’re in my games list.

22. Sami H says:

Bought the “Warner Bros. Complete Pack” at 12:20pm GMT from the UK for £39.99. It still contains WitN and Arkham City, and both are installing now.

23. Maxheadroom says:

hmm. well it’s not listed through the steam client and while i can find it on the webstie, trying to buy it gives an:
    “There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.” error

24. mondomau says:

Yeah, UK only. Just bagged it. Day 1 of steam sale and I’ve already folded to the tune of £40. What a bargain though.

EDIT: Minor (minor) grumble – I already own Bastion so didn’t get that again, fine. However, I don’t own the soundtrack and there is no indication that has been added to my account – can’t work out where to download it if it has.

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, apparently the MP3s are just dumped in to the game directory, which I haven’t downloaded on this PC.

25. Marar Patrunjica says:

I must say that the regional blocking for some of the Steam titles is starting to get really irritating, it’s bad enough that games such as Batman Arkham City and Fable 3 are not displayed in some regions (seriously, why block Eastern Europe? we don’t have any anti-violent multimedia laws) but some of the featured packs seem to hold on to the original pricing, so for instance the “Fable Franchise” bundle still costs 18,49€ even though you would only get the first Fable.

26. Ridnarhtim says:

I’m never too sure with these bundles … If I already own games, can I gift them instead?

• Ridnarhtim says:

Okay, some research tells me no. Shame I JUST bought Bastion and Arkham City.

27. deadly.by.design says:

For $74, I’ll pass.

28. Mehbah says:

75£ for the pack here in Sweden, too.

I have to admit, it’s pretty ballsy of them to put the Kid from Bastion on the deal’s banner when they have Batman. Not that Bastion doesn’t deserve it. I’d say it’s the best game of the year.

29. Reapy says:

I’m glad you guys put up the steam sales, it’s a fast way for me to see if there are any noteworthy games making the rounds. Sure it is promotion, but that is what basically every article on this site ends up being when you get down to it. It’s the filter and delivery of which material hits my eyes that keeps me coming back.

30. Starky says:

“Unreduced that lot would cost you £272.32″

No it wouldn’t – yes that is the number it says, but it is a lie – they are charging £26 for like 3 Fear DLCs that are actually included in the base game.

It’s still a good deal no doubt but that “would cost you” line is inflated.

You’re probably saving more like £60.

31. kud13 says:

In america:
    Arkham City: 49.99
    the 2wo DLCs: 6.99 each
    War in the North: 4.99

that’s 67.total, considering I already own the Fear Collection and Arkahm City GOTY, I’ll be byuing Bastion, the Lego games, and a few games i’ve never heard of (Watchmen and Terminator: Salvation) for $7

on the other hand, I could buy arkham City PC retail for the same price, sans Secure Rom…. does Steam Version include the Catwoman bits?

Llewyn says:

War in the North is only $5 there? Are you sure about that? It’s £30 here.

32. Crius says:

Seems the pack disappear…
    It’s the only package missing now. Check in Steam of my country (Italy) and UK .

Maybe a great fault of Steam that never intend to “gift” War of the North and Batman AC?

33. pointsman says:

Yeah it’s gone now even in the UK.

34. vexis58 says:

I’m having trouble adding up the things on that list to 18 games. Is the Bastion soundtrack counted as a separate game? The DLC and other additional content packs for other games? Each of the four Harry Potter years?

Thermal Ions says:

Seems they’ve pulled the pack, it no longer exists in AU, US or UK regions. I guess WB realised WitN and B:AC were accidentally included and concerned about eroding their “new release” revenue.

36. Moraven says:

Yep, they changed the deal. Was tempting, but think i have enough games on backlog to play.

37. ColonelClaw says:

Meh, this is what I get for being sociable. Last night I went out and had dinner with friends, ate great food, drunk great wine, exchanged xmas presents, much merryment etc etc.
    HOWEVER, had I stayed in like a miserable bastard I would probably have read RPS and not missed out on this awesome deal :(

38. johnpeat says:

Today’s Deal of the Day is Batman: AC for £19.99 – which makes up for the lost bundle a bit :)

39. kud13 says:

Well, Arkham City is 50% off today.

I wonder how long that’ll last?