Monaco Is Multiplayer

By Jim Rossignol on December 21st, 2011 at 6:38 pm.

Monaco, which is the indie heist game you will be going crazy for in 2012, has a video out! It shows the online multiplayer in action: you are going to be able to play peer-to-peer co-op with teams of burglars doing their business across the exquisitely-crafted lo-fi levels. Oh, you are going to enjoy this game.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. daphne says:

That was stylish as hell, but I kinda felt it told little about the actual gameplay.

2. CMaster says:

I really hope that this heist game pans out, as so many of the others have fallen by the wayside.

• FuzzieBoy says:

You mean PAYDAY don’t you? I just brought it, I’d heard it’s meant to be good, and I got some friends with it, so I hope it’s fun!

• Unaco says:

I thought he was alluding to Subversion.

• CMaster says:

Payday, which by all accounts is a solid, if not amazing game – but a near-mindless shooter, rather than what most would consider a heist game.

Subversion Which despite all the simulation element in, the developers apparently suffered a failure to design well and has been canned.

• jeffcapeshop says:

i was going to say Gunpoint but it’s not really a heist i suppose.

and also hasn’t failed and looks like it should be pretty good.

i’ll give up now.

• nubbuka says:

@FuzzieBoy Did you have to pay extra for the Friends expansion? I need some of those =|

3. airtekh says:

I’m really looking forward to this. It seems to be taking bloody ages though.

4. pilouuuu says:

The music reminds me of World of Goo… It looks good, but I simply cannot undertand how this game is played…

5. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Sooo… whose been playing the forum error game?

My one went like this:

503 – Service Unavailable
    An Interactive Fiction by Horace The Endless Server Technician
    Release 1 / Serial number 110707 / Inform 7 build 6E72 (I6/v6.31 lib 6/12N)

HTTP Error
    You are standing at the entrance to Castle Shotgun. The gates are securely locked, with an unappealing sign on the front. The sign reads “Whoops! RPS is having a bit of a wobbly. Don’t worry, we’ll be back soon!”

To the left of the gates is a large opening in the wall, which Jim is leaning into. John is perched on a small rock nearby, while Alec and Tim are standing on the other side of the gates. A pile of magazines is scattered in a corner.

You can see Jim, John, Tim, Alec and a Refresh Button here.

>Refresh
    That’s not a verb I recognise.

>Go north
    You can’t go that way.

>Kill Jim
    Violence isn’t the answer to this one.

>Use Jim
    That’s not a verb I recognise.

>Fuck you
    Hey! Language! Especially when we’re around John, he’s had a bad enough example set for him as it is.

>Sorry
    Oh, don’t apologise.

>Fuck John
    I only understood you as far as wanting to fuck.

• Hodge says:

That game is great, I’ve played it a couple of times when the site’s been down.

I was rubbish at it though, I vaguely remember getting Kieron to appear and that’s it. I don’t know if there’s any way to finish it.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Hmmm.

>read magazines
      You grab a magazine at random. It’s the latest issue of Your Cat magazine! You’ve read this issue at least four times though, so you put it back.
      You notice an old copy of Amiga Power in the pile.

>Read Amiga Power
      An old copy of some obscure, arcane tome. The glyphs on the front are mysterious, and appealing.

>Take Amiga Power
      You reach for the magazine, but as you touch it it disintegrates in front of your eyes. In its place are the feet of a man. That man is Kieron Gillen. He smiles down at you.

>Take Kieron Gillen
      I only understood you as far as wanting to take Kieron.

Stuck. :(

Edit: Sorry for the derailment. I’ll go now.

• Lambchops says:

I did all these things.Oh and Ratyan, you can talk to Kieron you know. He says something soothing!

Jim doesn’t leat you press the button because he is a meanie.

You can also “quit.” I don’t know if this is winning.

PS: Who wrote this? Consider themselves heartily slapped on the back!

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

@Lambchops: Thanks! I finished (quit) the game! Yay!

“There is no victory. Only levels of defeat.”

Also, when Jim wouldn’t let me push that button…

>push Refresh Button
      Jim looks up from his work. “Don’t even think about it.”

>push Jim
      That would be less than courteous.

• Voon says:

Yep. Played that when I was bored and went to see whether the forums are fixed. And surprisingly, they made a text adventure game while it’s still under maintainence!

God, I gotta love RPS

• max pain says:

I played it but was rubbish at it, so I downloaded it and decompiled it and I am yet to read trough all the text.

6. Hodge says:

I had no idea this was still alive, but I’m happy that it is.

7. Lobotomist says:

This game is in development for ages now. And seems to be really popular by game media.
    Yet I am not sure why, because i doubt anyone really got to play it ?

But than. I really hope it will be as good as the hype that surrounds it.

• Milos says:

I seem to remember the whole rps crew playing some kind of preview build and then talking about it in a mobile electrical program posted on the internet.

8. Monkey says:

This and Nidhogg, my money is waiting…….

• jonfitt says:

Don’t forget Spy Party.

• JB says:

I’m waiting on those three and Card Hunter. Mmmm, indie.

• Monkey says:

I did, although Monaco and Nidhogg have looked kind of done for a while now.

It seems alot of indie devs have trouble letting go, am i wrong? Without a publisher cracking the whip i suppose it can be very difficult to stop

• Hodge says:

I thought Nidhogg wasn’t getting a proper release? It was deemed as “only suitable for exhibition” or similar.

(Which is a bit rich. Even At A Distance got a downloadable release, and it’s a game that makes fuck-all sense outside the context of an expo.)

• Vandalbarg says:

Please stop saying such things, Hodges. I want to duel with people already and I won’t let a little thing like reality get in my way.

9. Eraysor says:

Peer to peer? No dedicated servers? The horror!

/callofdutymode

I am looking forward to this game so much. The aesthetic alone is great, and the gameplay looks awesome :D I wish Frozen Synapse had those cones of vision…

10. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Looks pretty cool! Will check it out… next year.

11. Vagrant says:

Played this at PAX and had a good time, although at the time I had a little concern over the overall flow of a mission. There was a general sense of dissatisfaction from completing it. It’s difficult to break down exactly why, but I’ll try.

There wasn’t much incentive for co-op, and only a little to use class abilities. It was easy enough to just rush for the next exit with no penalty, with little strategy needed. Large parts of the map could just be ignored, and often was by your friends as they rush the exit while you try and explore. While there are coins and treasures to be found, they didn’t really feel rewarding to acquire.

TLDR: Level design needs more strategy, game design needs more depth. I still want it.

12. fgjh says:

Top sex films, top sex sevice,topSex tool for sell that you will like them ,welcome to http://bit.ly/bwW0Bk

13. VeteranGunner says:

anyone want to trade a piece of coal for a 50% off Uplink coupon?

14. GreatUncleBaal says:

I know it’s not quite the same game, but this gives me a vibe of an improved version of Microprose’s Covert Action’s break-in parts, but also with multiplayer. I used to love that game.
    By itself, though, Monaco looks to me like it’s going to be something special. Can’t wait.

Comment on this story