Squee: Spider Crossings On Quake Live

By Jim Rossignol on December 22nd, 2011 at 2:27 pm.

You might just recollect my rantings about my favourite Quake III map, Q3WCP9, back in the mists of time. I had sort of resigned myself to the idea that it would never appear on Quake Live. Until now! The Quake Live Christmas premium update has it! Depressingly this means that the maps were only available to free players for a week, a week which ends today. I am sad. It is, however, just enough to push me into taking out a premium account for the hols. Man, I hope I can get some decent CP9 games. I’ll report back.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Shortwave says:

I didn’t expect to see any Quake news anytime soon, ha. I’ve recently been playing Quakelive after a failed attempt at playing Quake III Tourny with friends. I was really happy to see all the extra graphics options.. Playing at 1080 with forced AA settings at 120fps is BEAUTIFUL. This game had my heart racing again like I was a kid.. Such a great time.. Though I don’t know if I can bring myself to pay just to play a map I played ten years ago, haha. : / Either way.. People should play again!

• Echo Black says:

I have Q3A + TA both boxed and on Steam, no way I’m paying for them AGAIN.

2. Hyoscine says:

I like that it kinda looks like a Christmas cracker.

3. sjjs says:

rant link is borked

4. squareking says:

This is the map upon which I first played instagib. Goodness, where has the time gone? :singletear:

• pepper says:

Instagib, where the man get seperated from the boys and then gruesomely murdered in a brightly coloured beam of goodness.

Hmm… Now I feel old.

• Shortwave says:

Instagib is the only thing I play now, haha. It’s as ruthless as ever!

• yhalothar says:

Instagib is much easier than normal gameplay. You only need to hit once.

5. rocketman71 says:

So use the old Q3 + TWCTF 1.7. It still works gloriously.

6. King Kong says:

Spider crossings is nice, but PQL/bunnyhopping movement is even better! Sadly it’s also premium and unranked, but it’s still really fun even if it’s not quite CPM

7. e4rache says:

Talk about a christmas present.
    Here, and you can pay for it too :-)
    Thank you Id software.

8. ResonanceCascade says:

Quake 3/Live is still, hands down, my favorite online shooter ever. Absolute perfection.

• grundus says:

I had Quake 3 when it first came out on Mac, how long ago was that? Now, here I am at the ripe old age of 24, and I just bought the Quake pack a couple of days ago. Quake 3 is, somewhat hilariously, the only game of the three that doesn’t quite work properly; I can’t set a resolution even close to my native without the game not working (Quake and Quake 2 don’t get close either, but on their highest resolutions they both still work) and the mouse won’t respond if I move it slowly, which I fixed by turning my mouse’s sensitivity all the way up to 5700DPI (it’s a G500) and the game’s sensitivity all the way down. Not the most scientific, but it works.

Anyway, that was all pointless, because it’s only now, playing a couple of offline bot matches (last time I played online in 2009 it was a complete and utter clusterfuck), that I realise just how good it was.

9. yhalothar says:

I still play Quake Live. The problem is, even though I have Premium, there’s hardly any games going on on premium maps. Usually everyone’s slogging through the “Free” assortment, because that’s where most players are. :<

• Snakejuice says:

Yeah I’ve got a pro subscription and it’s totally not worth it for the maps. But it’s nice to be able to spawn a private server so I can pwn my friends in peace to boost my confidence (and get them to hate the game).

10. kyrieee says:

They also added CPM physics \o/

11. dee says:

edit: I am an enormous fool who didn’t check his GPU configuration thinger.