Oh My Gawd It’s Oh My Game

By Alec Meer on December 23rd, 2011 at 9:52 am.

OMG

I don’t have the foggiest how many game-making tools litter the internet these days so forgive me if it seems bewildering to highlight this one specifically. Oh My Game is a browser-based application aimed at people who can’t program but do want to make videogames, so it focuses on stuff like level design, importing art assets and using something called ‘logic blocks’ to achieve the effects of coding without the coding itself.

Being entirely ignorant on these sorts of matters, I can’t possibly comment on whether this looks like it could create decent games or if it’s going to be too limited to similar sorts of things. All the cloud-based asset storage stuff and collaboration tools sound like a neat idea for indie projects that involve devs working on opposite ends of the globe and getting by with instant messenger, though.

More details, a raft of video tutorials and a beta sign-up thinger here.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Matzerath says:

It looked like someone was using Cliffski’s explosion generator on there.

2. Farkeman says:

reminds me of Atmosphir , which isn’t that bad tbh.

3. wccrawford says:

It’s cute. I don’t doubt there will be some kids that manage to make some decent games with it. The visual programming language that reads like English is a particularly good idea.

“Real programmers” won’t use it, of course. They’d just go use Unity or some such. But this is great for those who have a game idea and just want to hack it out real quick, but don’t have any programming or game design experience.

I look forward to seeing things come of it. And if it encourages any kids to become programmers or artists, that’s awesome.

• Xercies says:

Well when I was a kid I used to create a lot of games just through Kick & Play(they weren’t any good but i was very satisfied with them at the time) this looks a lot better.

4. Eddy9000 says:

Does anyone remember the level creator that came with Abuse? That was amazing, wasted so much time on that as a kid.

• Hisui says:

I remember a lot of Abuse in my childhood, but what’s that about a level creator?

• Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Ah, Abuse was exceptional in every way. So advanced that the demo had to be split across two (two!) 3.5″ floppies on PC Gamer’s front cover.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Abuse was an awesome game. It’s open-source now btw, I’d love to learn Lisp at some point to maybe update and improve it a bit.

5. sinister agent says:

I will have to look at this when I can. Whenever I try to learn a programming language, I’m lucky if I can get past the first sentence before my brain completely fails to comprehend anything. It’s quite weird, because I’m pretty good with verbal languages (as opposed to programming ones), and frustrating, because if I could understand at least one or two languages, I might actually have a realistic chance of making a game instead of just jotting down ideas for them and sighing wistfully.

Although I might be using that as an excuse to not examine those ideas more thoroughly, in case I find out they’re unworkable crap. Hmm. Thank you RPS! This was a good session!

RobF says:

I had a quick look at it last night and took me a few minutes clicking to getting something on screen and moving around so that’s pretty much half the battle won right there.

Gonna fiddle a bit more over Xmas but so far, thumbs up.

7. squidlarkin says:

So many tools out there for non-programmers who want to make games. Which is great! But I can program just fine. Someone make me a tool for a non-artist who wants to make games.

• enobayram says:

Looks like you’d make a nice pair with the sinister agent above :)