Thy Fractals Shine So Brightly: Polynomial

By Adam Smith on December 23rd, 2011 at 4:01 pm.

My Christmas tree is rubbish in comparison. Not just to this one. To every other tree.

I have no complaints when developers add a couple of snowmen, a Father Christmas costume or a giant rolling snowball to their games at this time of year, but it’s rare for a seasonal update to impress as much as the level added in Polynomial’s latest update. I’ll admit, I’ve only ever played the demo of the “musical space shooter” but you’d have to be a fool to argue that its dancing fractals aren’t a wonderful sight to behold. Are you a fool? I hope not, because then you might not be overjoyed by the abstract made merry in the video below. Perhaps try the demo (Windows, Linux, Mac)? The full game is currently on sale for £1.49 over on Steam.

Ain’t that lovely?

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DOLBYdigital says:

Woah! I should get a bunch of videos like this and play them in a loop during my christmas party… Certainly an eye catcher :)

I should also try the demo just to see what the ‘game’ is like but that would make a sweet screensaver.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

I would highly recommend the Milkdrop visualisation which comes with Winamp for that. It’s certainly my favourite source of transfixing eye candy.

• vivlo says:

or just try the electric sheep screensaver, doubtlessly the most wonderful thing of that kind you’ll see on your computer.

• iasygyas says:

I liked the look of the game but didn’t quite get to buying it. Got it in the sale and I fucking love it! Recommend for anyone who loves music.

It almost beats Audiosurf as my ‘go too’ casual game http://yep.it/9487

2. Gurrah says:

I have to point out that this exact same level was added for last years Steam christmas thing, sans the snowflakes. Doens’t change the fact that I fire up The Polynomial every other week or so to be soothed by it’s sheer beauty.

• Dmytry says:

There’s some new crazy stuff in the ‘Experimental’ level on this Christmas. I did not have time to polish that stuff for the Christmas though, hence it’s just in the experimental level.

• Gurrah says:

So what you’re saying is you’re the brain behind Polynomial? If so, let me tell you that’s one beautiful piece of software you made there, I wouldn’t really call it a game but don’t take that as a bad thing, it’s brilliant as it is – kudos!

• Dmytry says:

Glad you like it! Ya, it’s me, just been checking referrals and thought i’d let you know about experimental level.

3. Harley Turan says:

Easily one of the best-looking games out there.

4. frenz0rz says:

I love me some Polynomial. I wouldnt really consider it a ‘game’ though, at least not in the sense that the main objective is to shoot the enemies and score points. In fact, I normally turn all the enemies off altogether and just float around whilst watching the various maps pulse and swirl to my music library. I find it quite relaxing, especially after a few beers.

5. Frantics says:

I love this game one of the best, very relaxing. Best enjoyed stoned. :)

• DickSocrates says:

Problem with that approach is it can be applied to anything. I don’t take drugs, but I have been on a bus during the day while drunk and it is more fun than being on a bus during the day while sober.

This ‘game’ makes me think of early 90s. I don’t like that at all.

• El_Emmental says:

@DickSocrates “… it can be applied to anything” => probably, but the key question is what you’re looking for when under the effect of a psychoactive substance (be it coffee, alcohol, antidepressants or “drugs”). You can’t spend your entire life under the effect of psychoactive substances without deteriorating yourself, so you have to choose (yes or no, which substances, when, why, where, with who, etc).

Polynomial is indeed a good choice in my opinion, its visual and audio stimulations are a good material for letting your mind wander into abstract immersion and imagination. Many other reasons can come into account, I know that Trackmania has a stoners fanbase ; perhaps it’s the speed and vertical-horizontal gameplay, I don’t know.

It’s still better than taking the bus (imo). Or not. In fact it heavily depends on the situation: alone or with friends ? the bus is a common public transport bus, or a private customized bus with crazy decorations and music ? Does that moment in the bus had a particular emotional charge ? etc.

Polynomial looks like a good starting material for a relaxing, colorful and impressive experience.

And it’s made of maths. I’m sold :D

6. Ice-Fyre says:

Had this a few weeks now and its ace!

7. johnpeat says:

I’ve always been a sucker for digital eyecandy (not that kind – well not as much!!) – why don’t I own this yet?

8. Bobby Oxygen says:

No Polybius pun? I am disappoint.

9. Casimir Effect says:

It’s like Frosty the Snowman is having a seizure

10. Gassalasca says:

I read it as “Thy Facials Shine So Brightly”.

11. Ross Angus says:

My God. It’s full of stars.

12. Ricc says:

I just won Polynomial in the Steam Lottery. :3 Looks sweet.

13. OJSlaughter says:

It almost beats Audiosurf as my ‘go too’ casual game

14. thegooseking says:

I recommend choosing Mogwai’s Happy Songs For Happy People as your soundtrack. It combines with the game wonderfully.

15. fgfdgfdh says:

==== http://.surprisefirms.com/==== hello everyone if you like to order anything you like. More details, please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity; Service is our Lift. enjoy yourself. thank you!! ====http://.surprisefirms.com/ ====

16. D3xter says:

This got to be one of the worst “games” I ever bought on the pretense of “it looks like it might be fun” after other games like Audiosurf, Beat Hazard or Chime were, it’s one of those little black marks in my Steam game library I’d rather not have there at all xD

• Eukatheude says:

Yeah, the gameplay is not fun at all, though sure it’s pretty.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Agreed, this game sucks. I guess you might want to buy it for the visuals, but I wasn’t very impressed by that beyond the first minute.

• jiminitaur says:

I’ve bought some crappy games on steam over the years, but Polynomial takes the cake.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for recommending this crap to your readers.

17. SiHy_ says:

18. bS says:

I think this is the closest thing to Enter The Void: The Game.

• Eukatheude says:

Nah, not at all IMO. I remember ETV as more “overloading”, but maybe that’s because the opening credits (aren’t they awesome?) are the part i remember most.