Up! Air Buccaneers HD Preview Available

By Jim Rossignol on December 23rd, 2011 at 2:39 pm.

Up, up and awaarrrgh....
Ludocraft send word that what they are calling a “pre-alpha” build of their Air Buccaneers is now available. They explain: ” It is still work in progress, though, and all your feedback is highly valuable for us. There are still graphics, sounds, features and effects missing, but we hope that it quenches your thirst for buccaneering and plundering for now.” Servers are going up and the team request you point your feedback at the forums. I can’t wait to get back into the skies, frankly. Merry Christmas, you crazy sky-pirates!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Man Raised by Puffins says:

Space Jump, attach rope
    Left Control, detach rope

Thank Christ.

2. Greg Wild says:

To the skies!

3. InSaNe-O_o says:

WOO!
    I bet their servers will crash VERY soon :D

4. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Are they updating this to UE3?

Also, woohoo!

Edit: They’re using Unity.

5. BathroomCitizen says:

I feel the breeze under my wings! YES!

6. explodeydendron says:

It’s soo good! I’m hoping they’ll inject some of that eerie, alien, swamp vibe from the original.

7. fgfdgfdh says:

==== http://.surprisefirms.com/==== hello everyone if you like to order anything you like. More details, please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity; Service is our Lift. enjoy yourself. thank you!! ====http://.surprisefirms.com/ ====

8. HarrietTubgirl says:

Does this require UT2004? I looked all over their site and couldn’t find one mention, so I’m guessing it’s standalone now? Download is going very slow or I wouldn’t bother with the question :)

9. Davee says:

I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say “HECK YES”. Nice X-Mas present, LudoCraft!

10. Davie says:

Oh my, this is excellent. Vehicle combat with crew coordination is just my thing.

Also, I was suitably horrified the first time I survived a fall into no-man’s-land and was suddenly exploded by a giant mushroom. That is great.

11. NamelessPFG says:

I can’t wait to start playing this again! Only reason why I quit playing the UT 2004 mod version is that the community sort of died out. Couldn’t find anyone playing anymore.

Simply put, AirBuccaneers is one of those unique games that really rewards teamwork via crew coordination. It’s great when you’ve got a bunch of teammates giving orders and warnings with VoIP.

It’s also great when you can rope onto an enemy balloon, suddenly whack off the whole enemy crew, and take the balloon for your own, as I often did back in the day. It still keeps its original color, which helps a lot when trying to blend in with the enemy team…or screws you over when your teammates shoot you down without using their telescopes to actually check who’s on it.

However, I do hope that the swordfighting is much improved this time around. The UT 2003/2004 mod had rather simplistic animation, and it’s hard to get a good sense of your actual sword range. There was even a Good Bad Bug where if you had your sword fully charged and were killed, it would automatically swing. Since a fully-charged sword is an instant kill, this meant a LOT of Mutual Kill situations if you didn’t get in a sneak attack.

12. DarkFarmer says:

Game has some potential. I particularly like the mechanics of cannon usage, some feedback to make cannon hits more satisfying would be great, like maybe Counter Strike esque text that appears like “Cannon Hit: +10″. the snow map is terribad, the altitude cap on it needs to be raised, i think, we always get into this situation where we cant move the ships anymore and were just sitting in one place thrusting to nowhere… thats what she said.

13. doomocrat says:

I’m running a USA based server for this in Texas off of a pretty decent pipe. I loved this as a mod, and would love to see people pick up on it.

14. cekmagdurlari says:

So awesome that I just had to explain what Air Bucks was to my wife just so I could tell somebody!
    çek kanunu