The RPS Bargain Bucket: Ludicrous Crowds

By Lewie Procter on December 24th, 2011 at 12:35 pm.

Is it Christmas Eve already? How did that happen. Whatever mysterious machinations of the Gregorian calendar have lead to this series of events, it’s time for all the download outlets to drop their prices in an attempt to get you give them more of your money. Just like Jesus would have wanted. Keep an eye on SavyGamer.co.uk, especially since many retailers have decided I shouldn’t get a day off and that January sales should start on Christmas day. Here’s this week’s extra Christmassy Bargain Bucket:

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy – £1.23/€2.49/$2.49
Also available is a 4-Pack, but depending on where you live, buying four copies individually might actually be cheaper, so be careful with that. Here’s Jim’s impressions:

It’s a shooter, but it’s linked together by missions, which are obtained by talking to characters in classic RPG fashion. There’s a stat system underlying your character, with a whole bunch of attributes to be levelled up. Which of course means a level system: you level up as you play and spend your points accordingly. Of course there’s also character creation preceding all of this, where you combine a number of different “genes” to come up with your character’s starting traits. Whatever you choose you’ll be able to engage in a bunch of different things that the characters can do, from flat out ranged combat (pistols, SMGs, shotguns, sniper rifles, heavy weapons) through using various types of armour, engaging in stealth, hacking, and a bunch of augmentations you can play with for further specialisation. There are even “several madnesses” and you must take care of your character’s mental health as things get more difficult.

From Dust – £3.49/$4.99
Ubisoft’s worst handled PC release in recent years? Perhaps. You may remember that they had said it wouldn’t use their hateful always online DRM, but despite those assertions pre-launch, they decided to include their always online DRM anyway. They have since removed this DRM, thankfully, although they’ve not fixed any of the complains about other aspects of the disappointing PC port. This mod should remove the seemingly arbitrary 30fps frame cap, but I’ve not tried it myself. It’s a shame to have to spend time talking about DRM bollocks and rubbish porting instead of how good the game might be.

Saints Row: The Third, Professor Genki’s Pre-Order Pack & DLC Season Pass – £14.99
Registers on Steam.
Here’s wot John thinks and then wot John thinks again:

crucially, unlike Just Cause 2 and other similar games, it doesn’t inevitably end in your death. Not only is it possible to take on these ludicrous crowds for a surprising amount of time, getting away is always possible. Stealing a car and driving like a lunatic to the nearest building you own will clear your notoriety with everyone who’s angry with you. And buildings you own are pretty frequent, if you’ve been going around buying them to up your control of a district. District control doesn’t really change the core game significantly, but it gives you a further incentive for doing all those extra bits the game has to offer.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – £8.99/$14.99
The most important question about DXHR is whether or not is a fitting follow up to the original. Gun to my head, forced to answer in a binary manner, I’d have to go for “yes”, but in reality it’s a bit more nuanced than that. Many elements felt totally right, I guess my lasting complaints (beyond the obvious boss fight/cut-scene problems) are that the original Deus Ex felt more like I was able to come up with solutions the designers never specifically intended, whereas DXHR didn’t really support that. It’s still a fun time, and the shooting feels way better than in the original game. RPS verdict here, and tonnes more RPS coverage here.

Batman: Arkham City – £11.98/€19.98/$19.98
Here’s comrade Adam sharing wot he thinks of Batman’s latest adventure:

The most exciting thing about Arkham City, beyond the sheer joy of actually playing, is that it’s not just more of the same. It’s more of everything else as well, which can be detrimental. But despite perhaps sounding overly critical of some aspects, I wouldn’t hesitate to say it’s one of the best games I’ve played this year. There is an enormous amount to do and now that I’m finished, I feel free to do it, no longer constrained by the fate of Gotham I can solve all those side stories. And even though I have a redwood-like backlog, I think that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Did they ever sort out the DX11 mode?

Also of note:
And Yet It Moves, Bit.Trip Runner, Cave Story+, Cogs, Crayon Physics Deluxe, Gratuitous Space Battles, Hammerfight, Jamestown, NightSky, Shank, Super Meat Boy & VVVVVV – $5.30 at time of writing.
Scoregasm – Pay What You Want, $1 minimum.
Sengoku – £8.48/€10.18/$10.18
Pathologic – £3.98/€4.98/$4.98
Precursors – £4.99/€7.49/$7.49
Civilization V [Goatee Edition] – £10.18/€13.58/$16.98. Registers on Steam.
Steam Holiday Sale.

For more cheaply priced electronic entertainment software, pop along to SavyGamer.co.uk.

1. mad monkey says:

EDIT: Non-UK folk can simply use this link http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-BMAC/batman-arkham-city and get the pound denoted price too!

cqdemal says:

Arkham City on Gamersgate: I’m getting a timeout on the download. Is it just me?

EDIT: Never mind. It’s working now. Amazing deal, this.

3. westyfield says:

Good grief, that’s a good SR3 deal. It includes everything, does it?

• Lewie Procter says:

Certainly everything that’s currently announced.

It even comes as three separate codes, in case anyone just wants the DLC pass, you could possibly split it with someone.

• westyfield says:

Oh, excellent. I’ll buy that after lunch, then. Cheers for the heads-up, Lewie!

• westyfield says:

Ok, done. Activated on Steam and downloading now.
      One thing to be aware of is that the THQ store automatically adds their ‘extended download service’, which is a £2 or £3 extra charge that allows you to re-download your games for up to two years, instead of the normal thirty days. It’s unnecessary if you’re going to activate on Steam or copy the installers on to a disc, so you might as well save a few quid and remove it from your order (click the little bin next to it).

• povu says:

It’s UK exclusive unfortunately. I’m from The Netherlands and that would have been a great deal…

• Mistabashi says:

It doesn’t actually include “everything”, the DLC season pass gets you the three planned DLC mission packs. There’s a few other packs that add weapons/cheats/outfits, but the pass should include all the major stuff.

• povu says:

Hmm actually if I say I live in the UK the Steam keys work just fine. I guess the THQ store doesn’t check whether the product I’m getting is a digital download or a retail copy. For the latter the restriction makes sense.

• Persona Jet Rev says:

[edit] Nevermind, they’re calling it ‘Great Britian’ nowadays

• paralipsis says:

Yep, that SR3 deal looks especially awesome compared to Australia. Still AUD$80 on the THQ site here, no discount or bonus DLC. And even with a 30% discount on Steam (shortly to expire) it’s over USD$60.

4. iniudan says:

The Saint Row 3 one is also available outside of the Europe, checked and was able to buy it in Canada. Which is about 25$ with current conversion rate. Better then any steam deal on it until now, especially since you get a DLC that normally was just pre-order only and an other that cost 20$.

• facd224 says:

Not available for mainland Europe, at least the Netherlands.

• iniudan says:

Sorry for you and thank for the info, updated it in my post on LP community forum I use.

• clorax says:

It worked for me from France though.

• povu says:

This THQ store deal is awesome for Euro people. I’m in The Netherlands and managed to buy Saints Row 3 from the UK store by simply entering a fake UK address. Since it’s a digital copy that activates on Steam it gives you the Steam key, which can be used on Steam just fine. No messing around with hiding your VPN or anything.

The current daily deal on Saints Row is 33.5 euros for the base game, and the season pass is 14 euros. The pre-order DLC isn’t available at all. From the THQ UK store now, I got SR3 + pre order DLC + Season pass all for just 18 euros.

• Veeskers says:

Do you need to register a proper account to get it?

• iniudan says:

No veesker don’t need a proper account, they will just set up an account linked to your email and password. (has you got to be able to “download” the file, through I got no idea why you would do that considering you can just enter the key into steam)

5. sabrage says:

I liked From Dust enough to beat it, though I plugged in my X360 controller before the tutorial even ended. Considering that I’ve finished maybe one in ten games I’ve bought this year, that’s high praise coming from me.

• Gnoupi says:

Same about the controller. The mouse control annoyed me in 30 seconds. It’s a kind of combination between a regular “panning when reaching the edges”, only with the “edges” being instead a quarter of your screen around the pointer, a smoothed mouse, and a pointer which obviously adapts to the direction you drag it.

It’s a game designed to be used with a controller, and they pasted the mouse control over it, simply.
      It is pleasant enough with a controller, though. Lacks a bit precision, but ok.

The disappointment is to think what it could have been, if it was developped for pc. It didn’t need that much, just a correct mouse control, and a full range zoom like Black and White.

• Duckee says:

It is a fun game, but it often feels like a fancy tech demo more than anything. There is not much challenge in this game. And most importantly, do not expect a Populous the Beginning game.

6. Veeskers says:

How is gamersgate in the drm department? Am i stuck with client/remote checkup shenanigans if i want to use it just this once?

• d32 says:

No, they’re great. They offer just the downloads, no strings attached (unless clearly stated otherwise on the game’s page).

• DrGonzo says:

Is Arkham City Steamworks? If so, it doesn’t matter if you get it on Gamersgate, you will be playing it through Steam. They simply give you a serial number and off you go.

EDIT – Looks like I’m wrong! Games for Windows Live?

• DickSocrates says:

Arkham City uses GFWL even if you get it on Steam, just like AA. If anyting, non-Steam version is better as it is the same game with one layer less of DRM, even if it is the least offensive DRM that’s missing.

• Avish says:

Bought Arkham city and was not surprised to see GWFL is still a horrible piece of crap.
      I had to run the game 3 times and update GFWL each of these time, before it allowed me to play with the ability to save the game. And that is after it never bothered to tell me, that I entered the wrong password and just got stuck in the “Downloading profile”message…

7. d32 says:

Deus Ex:HR:Standard is at amazon for $10:
    (of course, activates at steam)

• CowTsign says:

Amazon won’t sell DX:HR to Australian customers (says US only).

• alundra says:

Yeah, Amazon is being **very competive** on their prices and is having the very best deals this season on some of the best games, the ones I’ve got so far: DXHR, Renegade Ops, Just Cause 2, Dead Island.

Right now Dungeon Defenders (base) is going for 1.99usd

Never thought I’d say this but, what Steam has been offering up to this point just pales in comparison. This good, competition is always good for the costumer.

• Kostaja says:

Is there a trick to buy this outside US?

Scandalon says:

D32 – Thank you! I was given an Amazon gift card, and thanks to my patience and your info, I have DeusEx:HR for no monies (and very little gift monies) and I likely will get one or two more. (Dragon Age 1 or Mass effects?) It even throws in a $5 coupon for use later. (probably after the sales are done?)

Note that you have to turn on one-click ordering for their downloads, and I still had to enter CC info before proceeding.

Christian says:

Take care if you live in Germany and are eyeing that SR3-deal: The codes might not register on Steam without a VPN or Proxy, because the German version is heavily cut.
    Trading SR3 seems to be no problem, but registering non-German serials is said (in the Steam-forums) to not work.

But I’ll be happy if somebody could prove me wrong..

9. radaeron says:

Arkham City is gonna be about £9.50 on Boxing day from Green Man Gaming :) Lots of other vouchers too! Saints Row is cheaper than THQs deal currently, but doesnt include the DLC.

Llewyn says:

Thanks for that :-) This offer seemed tempting, but there’s at least one DVD-box-shaped present under the tree from Mrs Llewyn, and I can’t be 100% sure that it’s Skyrim rather than AC (and for that matter, there could be another similar shape hiding further down)

felisc says:

there’s 50% off on Origin games for europeans. just bought battlefield 3, yipee

11. Blackcompany says:

Saints Row the Third on Greenmangaming.com. Same price as Steam, roughly. But if you use their voucher (copy and paste it in) it lowers the price to $19.99 American. Tried and it works. Gives you a download link and key, and advises that you need a Steam account to play.
    This works in the US – confirmed (purchased.) Be aware, though: once you enter the voucher you have 15 minutes to buy the game before it expires. So make a decision (and a green man account) before choosing to buy. Also, make sure you are on a computer you trust.

12. suibhne says:

How’s Precursors looking these days? Been on my list for awhile, but I figured I’d wait for a bit of the roughness to be smoothed out (only a bit, mind).

• Moonracer says:

I played Precursors last spring and enjoyed it quite a bit. There is a good fan patch out there. The big problem is that the story ends abruptly with a cliffhanger which makes it feel like half a game. But at the current price there is plenty of game to not feel cheated.

It is one of those games that tries to do everything and manages to pull off a surprising amount.

• Vinraith says:

Be aware that it still has full-blown Starforce DRM. That’s what’s kept me away, otherwise it looks outstanding.

13. Perkelnik says:

Beware of the Civ 5 GOTY deal on GG!!!
    I activated the key and got the regular game only on Steam. Still waiting for the response from the GG support.

• iniudan says:

Could just be them that were given a wrong CD-key by the publisher. But hope for you that you get an answer fact.

• mzlapq says:

Did you check what DLC you have?
      Since the GOTY of Civ V does not include all DLC, the game should appear on steam as Civ V + some DLC, so you can buy the rest of the DLC.
      If not, does someone know if it is possible to add the DLC that is not included to the GOTY?

14. Vinraith says:

That Arkham City deal on Gamersgate is exactly what I was hoping for. $5 cheaper than Steam’s daily from a couple of days ago, and no additional DRM layered on top of the already annoying-enough GfWL and SecuROM from the developers. Merry Xmas to me!

• suibhne says:

Since I already made the mistake of jumping on the Steam deal, the fairest thing would be to split the difference with me. Like, say, you wire me $2.50 USD and we’ll call it even.

• Vinraith says:

Yup, I’ll get right on that.

15. Larkington says:

The THQ deal works with US information. Registers on Steam no problems, either. Thanks for the link, Lewie!

16. Lobotomist says:

Humble indie bundle, nuff said. Merry christmas
    (hope they put Skyrim in Steam offer today)

17. gunner1905 says:

Anybody here willing to help me buy the SR3 THQ deal?
    I’m from the US but I’m not in the US right now so I just can’t get the transaction to go through
    I’m willing to trade for $25 paypal or games from steam
    I’m not trying to scam anybody just check my steam account (gunner1905) to see that I have a lot games at stake if I try to scam anybody
    edit: never mind

• gunner1905 says:

anybody?

• Persona Jet Rev says:

You can probably just set your billing address to one in the UK

• gunner1905 says:

I tried that and it didn’t work.
      But fortunately I was able to get it by using TOR and getting a new identity again and again until I got an IP in the UK and when I tried using my US address it thankfully worked.

• Randomer says:

For future reference, you can also go to “http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us”. That ought to take you to the US version of the site and allow you make your purchase. It also gives you access to US prices, which tend to be better than prices in, for example, euro. A Steam representative told me to use that site when I was abroad during the Summer Camp sale.

• johnpeat says:

SR3 without the DLC is cheaper at GreenMan gaming and I think they’re multi-nation-friendlier?

18. Jim9137 says:

God damn I clicked the Civilization 5 goatee edition and expected GOATEES.

I am so going to write to the editors over this hapless fooling of blindly believing customers!

19. destroy.all.monsters says:

Still no love for the DotEmu sale? Crazy. Gog.com’s sale is still going on too.

20. kickme22 says:

SOME *VERY* BIG SALES YOU MISSED: Amazon.com: Dead Island $13, Deus Ex: Human Revolution $10, Tropico 4 $5

Just thought I would let you know. (don’t know if these sales exist outside the USA)

• johnpeat says:

They don’t – hence Lewie tends not to see them (Amazon Downloads is US only, enforced by credit-card and shipping address checks).

21. mzlapq says:

The Indie Royale (added some games), the Indie Gala (added some music) and the Little Big Bunch are still going for a few more days.
    GamersGate still have wrong prices on Insecticide ($0.19), Legendary ($0.75) and X-Com complete ($1.27) and also The Missing Link for $5.09 and Commandos Complete for $3.75 (individuals for $1.24).

22. JayTee says:

The Arkham City DX11 issues seemed to get solved a few weeks ago. My game went from entirely unplayable in DX11 mode with a framerate rapidly approaching single figures, to breathtakingly playable and smooth.

Still can’t quite see what the DX11 mode is giving me, but it gives me warm fuzzies knowing it is switched on so I guess that’s good.