A Farewell To Eve: The Complete 5 Year Spree

By RPS on December 29th, 2011 at 7:09 pm.

Today, a rummage in the RPS archives brings up Jim’s fond farewell to Eve Online from late 2009, documenting his dramatic half-decade as a leading member of a successful corp. He’s seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Oasa. He watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenerifis Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to repost.

Part 1: Nova – the founding of StateCorp and the path to power.

Part 2: Rise and Fall – The days of trolling solo players, and the slow death of a coalition.

Part 3: Fountain – It was the best of times, it was the best of times. Finding purpose, defending the innocent and achieving infamy.

Part 4: The End – All good things… Why Eve was and is “profoundly significant in the landscape of gaming,” why Jim had to stop playing, plus videos of space mega-war.

For other brave pilots, the saga does of course continue. Whatever will the future hold for CCP’s game of ships?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. greenbananas says:

On second thought, I’d rather not sully someone’s hard work (geddit, har har) with such an overused joke.

Here, buy some discount t-shirts or something.

htpt://sparksandmincer.com/naiki

2. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Jim, Sir, you’re a master at spinning narratives. And EVE is an excellent weaving machine.

3. CMaster says:

This one was a good one. Not Gameboys in Hell good, but still one of the better series on RPS.

4. Dreamhacker says:

Love the Blade Runner references :)

Ditto on the series being good. For a moment there, I was sersiously considering getting into Eve.

5. Bagpuss says:

Slow story day then I guess, having to regurgitate old articles.

6. Inglourious Badger says:

Oh how I thought I would love Eve from reading about it. A shame my actual experience wasn’t quite the same as Jim’s magnificent rise to power, wealth and lasers.

7. StevieW says:

I too gave up Eve, it’s been around 3 years since I played with any seriousness. I was there from day 1 and it’s truly a game that I’ll never really quit – I’ll always resub at least twice a year if for no other reason than to say hi to old friends.

8. dontnormally says:

Hello to WoD?

9. mpk says:

Ah, memories.

Good times.

10. CaLe says:

If only I could pause real life and play, play away.

11. Timberfox says:

fly safely brave space captain

12. felisc says:

that was such a great read. more ! space ! politics ! conflict ! english people in ships !
    The only thing is I’ve never been an eve player, and after reading this i jumped on youtube, hoping for some exciting videos and … well, i guess text does a better job at conveying the magic of that game.

13. djbriandamage says:

I’ve been enjoying reading old RPS articles in bed lately. I wish you guys had a random article button.

14. brooklyn67 says:

I had to look up “ludic”. This is a unique site and always rewards me for reading about games I don’t and may never own.

15. McDan says:

Another excellent series of words. Very useful that you’ve put them all together now but you’re meant to be having time off! You must love your jobs so to keep going. Well done chaps.

16. Morte66 says:

So, Jim, have you been back at all? Or felt the urge?

• Torgen says:

Actually, he’s looking for volunteers to squad up with him in “Eve on the ground” Perpetuum Online (sp). Check the RPS forum!

17. spelvin spugg says:

Eve is just amazingly good. In fact I think it’s the best game ever made, in many respects.

In recent years the devs have dropped the ball in a number of ways. The content gets old (could have been fixed with procedural content generation…) and now with the number of players there, space is just feeling too crowded.

I got tired of it shortly before the whole “real money for imaginary clothing” flap. That was just the last nail in the coffin of my opinion of CCP, who reportedly refer to Eve as their “cash cow.”

The optimal time to jump into a game like that is about six months after beta. I wish I’d played more in 2004.

To those who still play but are getting tired of it: I suggest that you try the role of the scammer. It’s truly brutal, and the most lucrative path possible in the game.

18. darmwand says:

Great articles! Being rather newish to EVE, I never experienced the “good old days”. I only know 0.0 as “there be supercap blobs” space and I lead a quiet little life in low-sec which, coincidentally, is where I would recommend new(er) EVE players to move to for solo / small gang PvP.

Anyway, nice to read stories from back then, feel free to re-post other classics from the RPS archives!

19. SolCommand says:

If I could just remember my account details for EVE Online. I loved that game while I played it a few years ago but I’d hate to start all over again from zero.

20. spelvin spugg says:

Severe graphics errors and crashes on Perpetuum. Since it’s out of beta and they expect money for a crash prone project, I won’t be spending my time there…

Comment on this story