The ‘Complete’ A Smurf In Terraria

By John Walker on December 29th, 2011 at 9:59 am.

Such is the way of RPS, gaming, and my brain, that long-term diary projects might not necessarily reach an absolute conclusion. We like to call these, “ongoing”. So it is that I attempt to plug the awkward silence over the holidays with the “ongoing” A Smurf In Terraria series.

Part One offers pretty much the basics. It’s the edition where I describe my playing the earlier stages of the game, below which all the commenters tell me what happens later in the game in a manner that suggests I’m wrong about everything I’ve written, which I stop reading because I want half a surprise left.

Part Two was my attempt to them find all those things people were so determined to spoil for me, and the discovery that I couldn’t, because of the peculiar way in which Terraria is constructed – essentially a roll of Sellatape with no discoverable end. Each attempt to take a step forward was blocked by another thing that asks me to take a step forward that’s blocked by… Well, I explain in the piece.

Part Three reveals gross hypocrisy, as after a huge leap forward I then turn to the commenters for tips on getting even further. And my delight in the Blue Moon (not the yeasty beverage, in which I also delight).

And then it abruptly stops. Will I return, finish the thing? Oh, what’s the point in even making idle promises. As much as I want to, I’m sure the next all-consuming indie magic is just around the corner, and I’ll only let you down.

, , , .

1. Abundant_Suede says:

It would be very worthwhile to revisit Terraria again for a fourth installment, to see how far the game has come since then. There’s quite a lot new going on.

• Meat Circus says:

The divine progenitor of an endless bear is a finite resource.

Is it possible to play Terraria without needing to constantly drop out to wikis now? That was the only thing I didn’t love about it.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Depends on how much of the game you want spoiled, and how much you want to discover through exploration. The guide NPC is much more helpful now, and will tell you what an item can be made into without you having to check a list somewhere.

• Memph says:

Pretty much yes MC. Just read up on the NPCs and bosses i’d say. All crafting is handled by the Guide.
      Pretty much everything else can be found out with relative ease (such as combining items with the tinkerer’s workshop, what picks can mine what ores etc..) or just look up stuff as and when you really, really get stumped. Knowing everything you can get can knacker the fun of discovering it all somewhat.

Bytheby this was my game of the year, bar none, despite not really being interested in the premise at all prior to it being gifted to me. Pretty much soon as i’d started chopping wood i was hooked.

Great new things since 1.1 include the vastly superior lighting system (it really does look ace), stacks more items/weapons/building options (like wiring, switches, levers, triggers, coloured lighting), new bosses, hard mode, a new biome, 3 more tiers of ore and more brilliant chiptunish music.

• Abundant_Suede says:

And Unicorns!

[edit]er…but that involves spoilers. Like the chainsaws. Oops. Just forget I said anything.

• pertusaria says:

I found it really difficult, when starting about a week ago, to find out how to make side walls (and floor, and ceiling) rather than just backwall, and how to break down natural backwall. Both of these things are pretty important to learn early. Maybe if I’d been more attentive the Guide would have told me – I’m not sure.

Other than that, I think you can probably get by without the Wiki / other guides if you’re patient and not trying to beat any records.

Have fun exploring! :-)

• rayne117 says:

Abundant, he always did that.

• Abundant_Suede says:

@rayne

If you’re referring to the guide npc’s crafting input, no, he didn’t start doing that until 1.05, which didn’t come out until towards the end of when those diaries were posted. He used to be completely useless. The bulk of the original RPS chatter wave about Terraria was based on peoples experiences in 1.04 and 1.03

2. Meat Circus says:

Hats. That’s what Terraria needs more of.

Museli says:

Good thing they added more in patch 1.1 then – three hats for each armour set, each complementing a different weapon style. Terraria has its fingers on the pulse of the modern gamer :)

3. Scatterbrainpaul says:

I noticed it was about £2 in the Steam Sale at the moment, was thinking about picking it up and adding it to the 30 or so unplayed /not even installed games in my Steam Queue

• Meat Circus says:

Somewhere between the 40+ hours of Dark Souls I have left, or the 40+ hours of Skyrim I have left or the 40+ hours of Skyward Sword I have left or the 100+ hours of SWTOR I have left or the infinite number of Dungeons of Dredmor hours I have left, I might play Terraria again.

• Scatterbrainpaul says:

My Retirement is going to be amazing, by then i’ll have 10,000 unplayed games in my queue, but i should be able to work through them all one by one

• Abundant_Suede says:

The nice thing (or terrible thing) about Terraria, is that once you actually fire it up, it tends to render the existence of all those other games largely academic. You’re on that train, and have to just ride it out until the madness passes.

Terraria for $2.49 ( or-75%) is a steal. The amount of content that gets regularly added, for free, is crazy. The game has easily doubled in scope since the original Smurf in Terraria articles were written, if you factor in Hardmode.

And it’s ever so sparkly!

• DrGonzo says:

Playing those games for that long would surely result in suicide?

4. Derppy says:

Read the patch notes. Seriously, read them or I will find you and papercut your eyeball.

Those are the kind of patch notes you don’t see in games these days. If that doesn’t make you want to play a game, I don’t know what will.

Also, here’s the trailer for the patch.

• MadTinkerer says:

“Also, here’s the trailer for the patch.”

The fact that that sentence is something you can say about Terraria is more than enough reason for everyone reading this to buy it if they haven’t already. It’s only not my game of the year because of Portal 2′s content update, and even then Terraria would have beaten Portal 2 if Valve had taken much longer.

5. MadTinkerer says:

EDIT: On second thought, since I can’t delete this post myself, I’ll write something else here.

Minecraft is brilliant, and Terraria is equally brilliant. Like Mario and Sonic, the games are in the same genre and share many of the same mechanics but are also extremely different. It’s really nice to see someone take someone else’s idea and put their own unique spin on it while having it be quite a good game on it’s own merits.

Craft em ups are the new Doom clones.

• Mad Hamish says:

Terraria isn’t really just a craft em up. It’s more of a metroidvania style adventure game with building elements. I stopped playing Minecraft ages ago because their wasn’t enough content. Sure you can build and do that kind of stuff but that’s not what interests me in a game.

I have other creative outlets that I am much better served by putting my time into. If I want to create I’d rather draw or make a game. i play games to game and that’s where Terraria beats Minecraft I think. There’s just more game there. Minecraft’s a great game and I got my money’s worth out of it, but if you’re talking strictly gamey elements I think Terraria is where it’s at.

They are very different games and I think a disservice is done to them by comparing.

6. DOLBYdigital says:

I agree with many others, this game is just too sweet to pass up and is easily worth the regular price (let alone the crazy sale). The constant support from the developers and the mod support will only ensure that this becomes a very long life game. I also agree with not comparing this to Minecraft but I know its only natural. Either way, do yourself a favor and get this game…

• Derppy says:

This.

I don’t see why people rage about Minecraft comparisons. The game is clearly inspired by Minecraft and I wouldn’t be surprised if the original idea behind it was simply “2D Minecraft”.

However, it turns out creating content and mechanics in 2D is quite a bit easier, which allowed Terraria to get years ahead of Minecraft content-wise. At the moment, I think Terraria is simply a better game in every single aspect, except for immersion and building stuff (turns out 3D is quite useful for both)

Minecraft has the potential to be even more amazing, but it would take years to implement everything Terraria has in 3D. There’s also no way they could get stuff like liquid physics anywhere near as smooth as Terraria, because calculating that stuff in real-time kills any CPU.

Again, buy Terraria, it’s amazing. If there will ever be anything like Terraria in 3D, I’ll cry in joy.