The RPS Bargain Bucket: Missing Out

By Lewie Procter on December 31st, 2011 at 10:04 am.

Time for the final bargain bucket of 2011, and appropriately it’s a rather good selection this week. Any predictions for how the market for discounted computer entertainment software might change in 2012? Has Bundle Fever already hit its peak? Will Origin ever discount games for all regions rather than hand picking a portion of their international customers? Will you have played all the games you’ve bought for cheap in 2011 by the end of 2012? I don’t know the answers to any of these questions, but what I do know is that you can rely on SavyGamer.co.uk to always be up to date with the best deals on games on any format, and the Bargain Bucket will continue to serve you the best PC download deals every weekend. Have a shifty at this lot:

Nuclear Dawn – £4.95/€5.93/$12.50
AKA that game where you get to shoot dudes in the face or instruct dudes how to shoot other in the face too. It’s a FPS and an RTS, but not both at the same time. I’m a little confused, so here’s wot Dan thinks of Nuclear Dawn:

If Savage and Natural Selection were your games of choice you’ll find a natural home in Nuclear Dawn. It still needs a lot of work, particularly on balancing issues, but we’ve waited five years; we can wait a couple more months.

Hmm, I never played Savage or Natural Selection. Maybe I should try this out though, it sounds cool. Any passionate players out there? How’s the post release support been?

X Superbox – £5.09/€6.79/$20
Registers on Steam.
Includes:
X: Tension
X2: The Threat
X3: The Reunion
X3: Terran Conflict
X3: Albion Prelude
Astounding value for all of that lot, I’m sure you’ll agree. I just picked this up myself, and I’m wondering which of the games contained within would be best to pop my X cherry with. Any suggestions? Shame about the expensive USA price, but since it registers on Steam, it should be pretty straightforward to get a continental companion to grab it for you at the cheaper rate.

Fallout: New Vegas – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99
Fallout: New Vegas DLC – £1.86/€2.49/$2.49 each
I guess this is the fourth in the series of post nuclear role playing games. That fella Quinns wasn’t too fond of New Vegas, but I’d say you’re missing out if you don’t pick this up for this poxy price. If you’ve played any of Bethesda’s big open ended RPGs, you’ll know roughly what to expect here, but I particularly liked New Vegas because it’s got some cracking quests and occasional bit of laugh out loud dialogue. If you’ve already got the base game, now’s a good time to grab some of the DLC too. Here’s Cobbet’s writeup of Old World Blues.

The Void – £1.25/€1.48. Stop me if I am wrong, but it looks like it is full price to me for USA folk, according to my proxy.
The Void is a bizarre little universe squeezed into game form where everything is about colour and nothing seems like what it is. Here’s that Quinns kid explaining why this got under his skin:

The Void is a game that has the fearlessness to mislead you, to obfuscate the rules of the world and make you rely on your own intuition and experience. In a year where mass-market games development is trying harder than ever to ensure even the most casual gamer is never confused or lost, I find Ice-Pick’s attitude here much appreciated.

More from Quinns here, and then John reviewed it too.

Deal of the week
Super Meat Boy – £2.99/€3.49/$3.74
Now say it properly: “Suuuuu-per MEAT BOY!”. Team Meat’s delightfully carnivorous platformer was my favourite game of 2010 by a fair old margin. It’s got bloody fantastic controls, superb level design, and it’s bursting with creativity at the seams. Some of the bosses are a bit shit, and from time to time you might get a glitch that ruins the attempt you’re on, but if you’ve got any love for proper 2D platformers, they don’t get much better than this.

Also of note:
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena – £3.74/€4.99/$4.99 (Warning: Uses TAGES DRM, and only allows three installs ever. Edit: Oh wait, they replenish activations after 30 days now. Don’t think it did that at launch).
Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack – £4.99/€9.99/$12.49
inMomentum – Pay What You Want
Bob Came In Pieces – Pay What You Want
The Oddboxx – £2.49/€3.74/$3.74
GOG sale ends soon
Steam Holiday Sale

Visit SavyGamer.co.uk for all the latest on what games are currently cheap.

__________________

« | »

1. Drake Sigar says:

Waiting for the New Vegas complete edition out in February.

• Felix says:

They’re doing one? Good. I was hoping for one. It’s the only reason I’m holding off on the Steam sale this holiday. I’ll wait for a sale on the complete set with one price tag.

• Delusibeta says:

Do note that this sale makes buying Fallout New Vegas and all the DLC costs £12.28, and the Ultimate Edition is probably going to be launching at £29.99.

• Suits says:

Buying the game with DLC now is much cheaper

• johnpeat says:

What they said – the full edition is likely to be full-price and you gain nothing over what you can get now…

• the.celt says:

Assuming you’re not waiting for a physical copy, I’m not understanding the choice to wait for the Ultimate version so that you can pay a good bit more for the exact same thing. The Ultimate version is listed on Amazon now. You can see price and contents (read the cover of the box). It’s launching at $39.95 and Steam has it now for $16ish.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Yes, but a month or so after the Ultimate Ed launches, Im sure it will be on some daily Steam sale for the same price NV is now, all in one neat, tidy package. Buying the nickel and dime DLC puts it back out of bargain territory for me. But then, I’m only passingly interested in the game, and YMMV.

It’s hard to imagine anyone paying full retail price for games anymore. They drop in price so rapidly if one shops opportunistically, and that’s for original content, not a re-bundle. I’m pretty sure I remember Arkham City was on Steam for 50% off a month after it was released. I saved hundreds this year by simply waiting a few months to buy games, which translated into having many more great games, and the beer with which to enjoy them. Skyrim was the last full retail price game I see myself ever buying, and it definitely wasn’t worth it, considering where that game will be a year from now with fixes, mods, and dlc compared to where it is now.

• LionsPhil says:

I was waiting, then someone bought it for me. Which was nice.

• InternetBatman says:

Also, it’s less likely that the New Vegas complete edition will go on sale that quickly, because the current low price can entice people in and then get them to buy the DLC.

• migbasys says:

A8 Red, AGPS + Android 2.2 Version, 3.6 inch Touch Screen, Analog TV (SECAM/PAL/NTSC), Wifi Bluetooth FM function Mobile Phone, Slip-operation can change the menu (3 pages), Dual Sim cards Dual standby Dual Camerashttp://trimr.de/17l6

2. CaspianRoach says:

Notice: After activating the game for a third time TAGES will start a 30-day timer. After 30 days you will get that activation back up to 3 total activations.

So it’s not as grim as you paint it to be. Still pretty silly though.

• _PixelNinja says:

You beat me to it. They might want to edit that part since it’s not true that you only have 3 installs “ever”.

• mwoody says:

Fair enough, though the number of activations isn’t really the issue. The problem is that it has to call home and get permission. It’s never been about “I need to install it more than 3 times,” it’s that “when I try to install it ten years from now and it calls home, it won’t matter how many activations I have left because that server just flat out won’t be there.”

Which isn’t much different from Steam (I no longer trust their “we have a way to unlock the whole catalog” claim), mind you, and of course if the server’s gone you’ll certainly be able to download that game illegally with ease. But it’s still a short-sighted annoyance at best and a bold claim by a game developer that their game will NOT stand the test of time at worst.

• Lewie Procter says:

I think a lot of people would be more tolerant of drastic DRM if it came with a promise it would be patched out in X amount of time.

• alundra says:

Not grim?? check the steam forums, plenty of people unable to use the piece of nothingness they just “purchased” because of TAGES.

Besides, Win 7 by default refuses to install TAGES, I think that on itself speaks a lot about TAGES.

• mwoody says:

But my problem, Lewie: how do they patch it out? If the company goes under, or turns off the server, but releases a patch for download… how does that help me run the game from the disc? I like games that I can pull out of a closet, plug into an old computer in a corner with no Internet access, and play. I’ve done it countless times with old classics like MoM, X-Com, and even, ironically given their plans for Diablo 3, Blizzard’s entire pre-WoW catalog.

It may indeed be that the answer is simply, “that era has passed.” It certainly doesn’t help my argument, though, when I try yet again to convince my less morally inclined friends not to pirate games.

• Thermal Ions says:

I suspect Lewie’s talking more 6-12 months after release, not years / when the publisher’s folding. Admittedly even 6 months can be an issue at times when a publisher culls a dev team a month after release.

3. RiptoR says:

On the fence for the X-Super-Bundle. Not sure if I’ll like the gameplay.

Always loved Freelancer and similar games for the combat, but the X-series aren’t really like that on gameplay level, or am I wrong?

• Felix says:

Not really. I haven’t played myself, but my friend has played the entire series recently and he says it’s more about an economy and business than combat. Personally, I’d buy it if I was in the UK. It costs less than when Steam had it on sale. That said, the GamersGate US cost is over twice that of the UK.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

So how is it while playing. a lot of roaming about on trading runs, like Dark Star One, with only a bit of fighting? that sounds like it would suit me fine, as i think the graphics look amazin.g

I also loved Freelancer but it really sometimes didn’t seem quite as… big. I mean there were big ships and space is always big, but you didn’t encounter anything bigger than a military carrier (which were quite small) on a regular basis.

• Archonsod says:

Kinda up to the player. It’s not just limited to trading runs though, you can end up wielding an economic empire if you want to go down that route.

• Ringwraith says:

It’s not like Freelancer’s action-y combat, it’s a proper space sim, there are no special advantages you get over your enemies, you can’t instantly replenish your shields and repairing hull damage costs a pretty penny (not to mention replacing any weapons and equipment that was destroyed).
      However it does make it all the more satisfying to destroy an entire pirate patrol with a single ship.

The game also has a robust economic model, so you can build factories and build up a trading empire to fund your fleet if you wish.
      Or just shoot dudes, it’s what I do, you’re not really forced into doing one particular thing. Heck, you can just get the autopilot to shoot foes for you if you really wanted.

• frymaster says:

about the only advantage the player has in combat is not being an AI pilot. also there isn’t the RPG-esque weapon progression of freelancer – there’s only really 3 kinds of fighter weapon – the low-damage, high-rate-of-fire, high-projectile-speed ones for flyswatting, the opposite for attacking the heaviest fighters/small capital ships, and ones in between. There are special weapons as well – area-of-effect, a chain-lightning-style shield-sapper, etc. – and a couple more capship-only options, but that’s it. You defeat larger groups of enemies either by switching to capital ships, ouflying them, or buying/capturing other fighters to act as wingmen..

Probably the biggest difference from the X games and freelancer and the elites is the owning-multiple-ships-and-stations thing.

• ThTa says:

As a fellow Freelancer fan, I just hate hate hate the X series.

Did you know X3 has an item (SETA) that gives you a button to multiply your game speed by 10?
      And believe me, it’s absolutely necessary. If you happen to lose it, or forgot to buy it for a particular ship, you’re in for a loooong wait.

(Oh, and Ringwraith, you don’t exactly have any advantages over your enemies in Freelancer, either. Beyond the earlier mentioned persistent progression, but enemies can acquire those weapons and ships, too, depending on the difficulty of your mission. Enemies can also use the instant hull and shield regeneration. And you can, in fact, lose weapons and other hull points in combat. Though I do agree, it’s not exactly expensive to repair it otherwise.)

That said, it is nice and expansive. There’s certainly not a lack of options when it comes to actually playing the game. It’s just that I didn’t like any of those options.

• Abundant_Suede says:

You know, most of what I’ve read here has served to remind me how great Freelancer was, and how this game is not Freelancer.

So I just bought a copy of Freelancer instead.

• RiptoR says:

Thx all for the comments. Decided not to buy this then. Seeing as I already don’t have enough time to properly play most of my games, buying this would only mean it would be gathering dust in my steam account.

• FriendlyFire says:

And now all of you go to ModDB and check out all the mods for Freelancer. If you thought the vanilla game was good, wait until you see what’s on offer there.

You can also learn more at The Starport (yes, I’m one of the admins there, as a disclaimer).

• Ringwraith says:

@ThTa Although by default in Freelancer NPCs can’t use nanobots or shield batteries, which is Freelancer’s specific player-only advantages. Modding it in does make it a bit different, although they still only tend to use them one at a time.

4. Crane says:

R.E. New Vegas DLC:
    In order of ‘worth buying’ the DLC goes:
    1: Lonesome Road
    2: Old World Blues
    3: Honest Hearts
    4: Dead Money

Actually, that’s the precise opposite of release order. Woo.

• CaspianRoach says:

Dead Money is great because it takes away all your equipment and makes the game challenging again which is not something all the other DLCs did, all the rest are too easy because of Anti-Materiel Rifle spamming.

Old World Blues has a nice wacky story with crazy inventions and just a fun DLC overall.

Honest Hearts is just more of the Fallout 3 if you know what I mean, lots of pretty desolated lands with a small couple of simplistic quests. I did not like it at all.

Lonesome Road was the worst one for me, linear corridor gameplay, only one voiced character, boring new guns and just lack of fun stuff to do.

• Diziet Sma says:

Fixed, from my perspective:

2: Lonesome Road
      1: Old World Blues
      4: Honest Hearts
      3: Dead Money

@CaspianRoach totally agree with your views on Dead Money though, despite my DLC ordering. It made me think and plan and introduced some interesting mechanics and gameplay. If you want tactics in your dlc move dead money up. Old World Blues is just dumb fun so takes no.1 for me, plus some insane dialogue.

• Batolemaeus says:

I seem to be the only one who thought Lonesome Road was the least interesting of all DLC, for its railroading and for playing like a corridor shooter.

• FCA says:

If you get all DLC (including gun runners arsenal and couriers stash), you can also get the unofficial official mod by Josh Sawyer:

• Archonsod says:

Honest Hearts was pretty much the worst imho, and by worst I mean “not quite as interesting or fun as the rest, but still being pretty damn fun”. Haven’t quite finished Lonesome Road yet, but I’d say Dead Money is my best (albeit playing on hardcore mode, it’s probably far less interesting if that’s off) with Old World Blues just being inched out (it’s main flaw is the increased random spawn rate. Wouldn’t be a problem if the levelling system didn’t turn them into bullet sinks while the DLC was pretty short of bullets to replenish your ammo).
      Reasons I like Dead Money – it’s Mad Max meets Oceans 11 meets Dawn of the Dead, and there’s no part of that I don’t like. It constantly drains your hitpoints (to a minimum of 1) for the majority of the DLC so you actually have to put some thinking into using healing items (top up now, or let it drain out and wait till you think you’ll need it) as well as making the combat a lot more intense. Oh, and the NPCs you meet are actually pretty interesting, which made a nice change.

5. CaspianRoach says:

I have a question: If I buy a game from gamersgate (The Void), can I add it to Steam?

6. Batolemaeus says:

Fuuuuuu.
    I bought AP when it was released because I really, really love X3. Now it’s…okay, just 3 bucks cheaper. Ah well.

I’d recommend starting with X3:AP, although X3:TC is also okay. The former has two starts that dump you straight into the action, but more bugs and less plots than the latter.

• Ringwraith says:

However X3:AP lacks a tutorial, which both Reunion and Terran Conflict had. Although TC is probably better to start with as it has more shiny stuff, although on the flipside you play a faceless pilot, whereas in all the previous games had you play someone with an actual name and some significance to them.

• Somerled says:

Ringwraith has the right of it, on playing X3TC. But it’s hard to say which to play, though, since a proper playthrough of any is going to take ages.

All of the X3′s are pretty nice on empire building features, but they lopped off some of the more interesting space flight features from X2. Still, since they’re mostly the same all around, I’d go with X2 on a low end machine, X3AP for being the latest in the series, or X3TC for being a solid game.

7. Abundant_Suede says:

Crysis 2 is currently $ 9.99 for download on Amazon U.S.

Also, Dead Space 1&2, Mass Effect 2 downloads $ 4.99

A better price on Nuclear Dawn than D2D as well, if you’re interested in that at $ 6.25

[edit] Anyone happen to know what the DRM siutation is on Crysis 2 digital? Theres no mention of it needing Origin. I’m guessing Securom?

8. Diziet Sma says:

Super Meat Boy is the definition of Tight Controls. I only bought it yesterday though. A word of warning however… at the moment the game is unbelievably unstable; due in most part to what appears to be an epic fail in application security and mysql databases plus a bucket load of arrogance on the devs part.

In summary, yeah buy it now but don’t expect to actually enjoy playing it for a while ’till the devs have accepted their humble pie and patched the game or the skiddies attacking the mysql server have found something better to do. The steam competition achievement is largely a nono at this juncture too.

** Instability probably only applies to the extra meat boy world levels, the main campaign has been fine**

• povu says:

The Steam objective is nearly impossible here anyway. These objectives are supposed to be somewhat easy achievements for people who just bought the games to get, but I’ve finished Super Meat Boy (the light levels), put over 20 hours in it in total, and even I can barely beat one of those christmas levels. And the achievement tells you to complete them all, without quitting the game in between.

There’s no way new players will be able to get them.

• Itantor says:

Where has it ever been mentioned that the objectives are meant to be easy for people who have just bought the game? A lot of them require luck, spent time and effort, or in SMB’s case, skill e.g. Binding of Isaac*, Revenge of the Titans, AAaaaa(snip), Atom Zombie Smasher, etc.

*Not made by Team Meat, before anyone decides to wrongly point that out.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I rapidly lost interest in the Steam sale meta game after 5 consecutive “lumps of coal”, and one worthless Valve discount.

• Carra says:

I just had 7 pieces of coal and got a free Assassins Creed: Brotherhood for them.

Call me happy.

• Kaira- says:

Lucky you, I got -50% off Killing Floor. Which I’ve had for two years, as well as pretty much all of my friends and everyone on the internet.

• johnpeat says:

41 acheivements have given me 5 free games or DLCs (through trading that results in RUSE, MoW:AS, You Monster, Risen and Munch’s Odysee) – so I’m not complaining.

AZS wasn’t hard – it just required a bit of luck in placement. The worst thing about it is that the ‘arcade’ mode they created isn’t really much fun and the controls suck.

TBOI and SMB (and Toki Tori, Edge and Rush) were always going to be hard – that’s the modus-operandi of their developers, really.

Flight Control was a SWINE to do because the achievement doesn’t always seems to register (and again relies on a bit of luck but then so does the whole game, really)

Titans was a surprise and NAILS NAILS hard but the music is so utterly and totally amazing (it’s called December by ‘Fourhands’ and is free on Soundcloud) that I stuck at it.

I actually posted an open letter on the Steam forums about levelling the difficulty of the achievements a bit – esp in relation to how much work was required just to get to the point you could get the achievement. I’m not asking for ‘easy’ – I’m just asking for a little more thought (esp with things like Psychonauts or Bastion, where existing players mostly had to restart to get it – or TT when a new player had to unlock almost the whole game!!)

• MuscleHorse says:

Or you could just use a steam achievement unlocker.
      Of course there’s the tiny chance you’ll get your inventory cleared or something by Valve but myself and a large number of people I’m aware of have used it this time around and for the last competition like this (was it the autumn sale?) and haven’t had any problems. I guess I wouldn’t recommend using it on Valve first party titles however.

@Cara, you lucky bugger. I’ve picked up two games from this achievement hunt; Deus Ex 1 and Dungeons. Of course I’ve had a copy of DE since 2001 or whenever it was released but have quite fancied Dungeons for a while, despite hearing it doesn’t even rub shoulders with the greatness of DK.

• Baines says:

I got 7 lumps of coal, a Valve coupon, and a free copy of Cogs (which was available in the Humble Indie Bundle). A friend got a Valve coupon and a bunch of coal, with no game at all.

As for the Achievements, they seem to vary. Some are fairly easy, even the random ones. With Spiral Knights, it was random whether you could get the snowball PvP stage, but it probably wouldn’t take you more than an hour. (Less if you quit out of them before their end, like a lot of people were doing.) But then you have stuff like Binding of Isaac, where it looks like you can put several hours into it without ever seeing Krampus or whatever. (And by gods I think the movement and projectile physics ruin that game, with Isaac continuing to slide and the programmer not being bothered to separate projectile velocity from player velocity.)

Dungeon Defenders was set on a suggested Level 30 stage, but I guess you could level up a bit and then join in a game with higher level players to complete that one.

And why did Valve make sure nearly every day had one “no purchase required” achievement, and then make one day where all six achievements required game purchases?

9. LionsPhil says:

No mention of DX:HR being 66% off beyond the generic “Steam sale”?

Seems quite a big cut after relatively little time for an high-rated ‘AAA’ title. Still holding out for a GOTY edition, though—by the time you’ve nickled-and-dimed the DLC, it’s back up out of budget prices.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I nabbed DX:HR from Amazon downloads when it was on sale for $ 9.99 (-76%) US last week, and have enjoyed it at that price. Amazon hasn’t had quite the same “across the board” savings of Steam XMAS, but they seem to beat them consistently on special price for significant recent titles.

I’m not sure one should feel overly compelled by the DLC for DX:HR. As far as I’m aware, it’s just a couple of unbalancing equipment packs ( one of which gives you a bunch of free money), and a separate mini-adventure that resets your abilities and that isn’t a part of the main campaign, which really could have used a few more hours of content.

Pick it up on sale, enjoy it for what it is, and pass on the DLC, I say.

• radaeron says:

And it’s even cheaper at Green man Gaming today anyway :P http://www.greenmangaming.co.uk/promo/deus-ex-and-dlc/

10. rustybroomhandle says:

Popping your X cherry: I suggest skipping them all and going straight for Albion Prelude. Catch up on the story by reading up on it. The story is not bad, but the game is no less fun without it.

Albion Prelude is mostly Terran Conflict in gameplay, so fixes a lot of the dodgy interface stuff from its predecessors, but including all the new added goodies.

• Spengbab says:

I’d say skip the Story mode altogether, unless you want German voice-actors speaking in English with some Japanse mixed in. So yea, take the latest of the games and enjoy, since the core remains the same in all the games – fucking money money money, so you can buy that M2, deck it out with the biggest and most brutal turrets you can find and go to town on the Paranid

Except X1, which I didnt much care for.

• vecordae says:

I actually disagree with rustybroomhandle here. Albion Prelude has the most features, but it was just released and needs a bit more work before it’s polished. I’d recommend Terran Conflict instead. There are more plot threads to get involved with (though none are spectactular) that will give you access to some pretty neat stuff, including a player headquarters capable of producing ships for you. Albion Prelude had an update to the AI that means they use missiles intelligently. This can be immensely frustrating for new players as your starting ships can be destroyed or heavily damaged by most of the missiles in the game. Since missiles explode when they are hit by gun fire, enemy fighters will often seem to explode suddenly and you won’t get credit for the kill. This is because they launched a missile while you were shooting at them and you blew it up in their faces. Even worse, sometimes you’ll manage to capture an enemy fighter only to have a missile launched five or six minutes ago (before you captured it) finally hit and blow it up with you in it. Do Terran Conflict first and, after you feel you’ve gotten the hang of it, move on to Albion Prelude.

11. rustybroomhandle says:

Is this not just the most awesome deal ever?

Link: amazon.com

• Abundant_Suede says:

Don’t scoff. Nickels are shiny, and can be pulled from behind one’s ear!

• mwoody says:

*sigh* I’ve really been wanting to see a deal on that one this Christmas, too. My co-op buddy got it, and co-op city building is sweet.

• Thermal Ions says:

Do you know what you can buy with a nickel?

No, me neither.

12. Rinox says:

Maybe not the best place to ask, but there seem to be a few people in this thread who’ve been going for the achievements too so: when you craft 7 lumps of coal together, are you GUARANTEED a game or DLC? Or do you have a chance of getting a worthless coupon too?

So far, after 23 achievements, I got 17 (!) lumps of coal and 7 coupons, all for games I already own or am not interested in. :-( If I knew for sure I’d finally get a game for crafting 7 of my lumps of coal I’d do it, if not I’ll just keep them for the grand raffle instead.

• Similar says:

No guarantee; I’ve crafted 14 coals and got coupons (and did 25 achievements and only got coal and coupons).

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I’ve heard from people who have crafted their coal only to get more useless coupons. I’m keeping mine, as even lottery tickets have more value than 33% off the Valve complete pack that is on sale for 81% and doesn’t stack (and I already own everything I want from).

• Mattressi says:

I’d recommend hopping onto the Steam Trading sub forum. If there’s a particular game you’re looking for, you’ll possibly be able to trade your coal for it. The lowest estimate (by people who aren’t price gouging) of coal that I’ve seen is $0.20 USD and it seems to be traded at around $0.40 to $0.50 USD. So, 17 coal won’t get you tonnes, but it could get you a cheapie <$8 game if you can be bothered to deal with the forums. Otherwise, I'd probably just craft them anyway – I'd rather have a moderate chance of getting a game or two from my coal than have a one in a million (or worse!) chance of winning every game on Steam. But that's just me.

• Teddy Leach says:

I’ve crafted all mine and got 5 coupons for awful games (including Red River) and one copy of Silent Hill: Homecoming, which I sent to someone for gratis.

• Mattressi says:

Ouch. I just got crap (to me) games like Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath and Mafia. I wonder what the chances of getting coupons are?

• Abundant_Suede says:

I just crafted 7 pieces of coal into another worthless -25% Valve coupon.

I laughed. Then I cried.

Mostly cried.

Still crying.

13. 0positivo says:

I got Nuclear Dawn from a friend gift, and I gotta say, I was really surprised with it. I’ve dumped in about two times as much gameplay time in it than I did with battlefield 3, and coming from a long Battlefield history, I didn’t foresee that happening at all.
    What can I say? I loved being the commander in 2142, even in those Titan maps where *noone* was commander. Being able to just drop in my first game of Nuclear Dawn after the tutorials, get hold of the command position (we were losing, and noone wanted the spot), and turning the battle around for the team with the lowly level 1 commander (us) was, how can I say, *extremely* stimulating

14. zapatapon says:

There is a decent sale at Get Games, in particular you can get Mafia 2 for 5 EUR (even cheaper than the 75% Steam rebate a few days back). Steam-activable, too. Don’t know if it is any good, though.

Edit: also probably noteworthy: R.U.S.E. for 10 EUR (-80%), Borderlands for 3 EUR, Frozen Synapse 5.74 EUR, From Dust 5 Eur (better deal than Steam sale from a few days)

15. snv says:

Can’t buy Fallout:NV from steam, because in germany you can only get a cut localized version.

Game’s translations usually suck.

• zapatapon says:

Tell me about it. I can grudgingly accept so-called ‘low violence’ versions with some gore removed, but not being able to get the original language is a true “Zumutung”.

• RegisteredUser says:

Get someone from the netherlands / holland to gift it to you and then send them a paypal / SEPA wire.
      Result: Uncensored and english.

16. alundra says:

Still no mention of Amazon, they offered **the most awesome deals on this season**, and while they slowed down and seemingly went on holiday vacation, the “daily” EA sale they put up a couple of days ago is still available, plenty of heavily discounted EA crap in there:

• mwoody says:

The really half-assed their sale this year. I’ve seen links going to the wrong place, things not advertised on the main games page, deals that were advertised to be replaced the next day lag on unchanged for nearly a week, and other oddities inexcusable from a major retailer. Which is a shame, because they even beat the daily Steam deals a few times, but no one noticed because they couldn’t get their shit together. Poor show, Amazon.

• alundra says:

I agree that Amazon can be very messy at times, with that said, if the concept of hunting for a bargain is to site and expect it to be served on your plate and then spoon fed to you in small sips, well, that will not take you very far in life.

Got dead island for 12usd off Amazon, and it is going for 25 today on steam.

For me, the steam sales bombed big time this year, and not only because of Amazon, gmg and get games played an important factor too.

17. Dozer says:

The X3 link is showing £15, not £5. I am sadface.

18. Thermal Ions says:

Predictions of change? No
    Bundle Fever peaked? Yes
    Origin discount across all regions? Never
    Played all cheap 2011 games by the end of 2012? Not a chance

19. Baines says:

Just to note, The Void indeed appears to not be on sale for US users of GamersGate. It, however, has been 50% off through Steam for pretty much the whole month of December.

And it feels kind of weird seeing Super Meat Boy touted as a deal of the week when it was just in Humble Indy Bundle 4, where you could have bought it and several other games for less than what Steam asks for an on-sale Super Meat Boy. Toss in another $1.75 or so, and you could have netted another 7 or 8 games.

20. cqdemal says:

L.A. Noire for $12.49 on Steam in the US – probably THE deal of the week if you ask me.

21. stevendick says:

Skyrim is showing a 33% off deal for me on Steam – gonna wait until later in the year for finding the time for that one.

22. RegisteredUser says:

In case people have not yet tried / played SPAZ (Space Pirates Against Zombies) yet, DO SO NOW.
    There is a free steam demo.

Last day of 50% off via the steam sale. It is a time eating machine, well made and although grindy, good fun with a “just one more tech upgrade plz” twist.

And its not even a fiver.

Not enough people are playing and discussing this made-with-love game.