1993 Redux

By Alec Meer on January 3rd, 2012 at 9:01 am.

Man - there were so many gags we weren't able to squeeze in. This actual logo only went up at the end of the day. Kieron was also frustrated that whoever had put Cannon Fodder's release date on Wikipedia got it wrong, so his in-progress Wot I Think drawing a line between the MGS4 controversy and CF had to be abandoned. Also, not enough time to actually do the Wasteland Retro piece.

RPS was all about the standard daily blogging back on April 1st 2010. Standard daily blogging as if it was April 1993. Journey back with us to the previews, Wot I Thinks, scandals and futurology of a golden age of PC gaming – and to the mindsets of our more youthful selves.

Meta-gag, massive self-indulgence or intriguing thought experiment? All of the above, but mostly taking the piss, really. Here’s what we came up with:

For this year’s April Fool’s, we’re going to… no, that would be telling.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. JackDandy says:

Hah hah! Never noticed these. Very nice.

• kigafdtys says:

Then I talked my Dad into replacing the first version of the IBM PC his job had supplied for home use, and I swiped the old one. Still just floppy drives, no hard drive, but there were *two* floppy drives! Eureka… no more disk swapping to load program and data. And it could run Flight Simulator in glorious CGA graphics. Good times. http://oua.be/av6

• Dozer says:

I’m breaking the rules by replying to a spammer, but the first reply to this post has a link to a spam website. The stuff about the second disk drive and Flight Simulator In Glorious CGA is copied from a real post further down the thread. Beware!

2. Billy_B says:

Ahh… there was i time…

3. atticus says:

Ahh… I just love me some good old PC-nostalgia, be it actual articles from the distant past or someone taking a piss.

I got my first computer back in ’92 and have a collection of PC Format magazines from ’96 and ’97. Features such as “Space Age PC’s! – They Are Here To Stay (66 mhz, 2mb ram, 200mb HD, 15″ screen and a glorious TV-card for a mere £2,500)” is amazing to read today.

Also have some editions of PC Gamer from the early 2000s laying about, with grim looking pictures of our heroes from RPS in the reviews-section. Mr. Walker and Mr. Rossignol…. why so serious?

jezcentral says:

Oh God, yes! The 14″ goldfish bowls we had as our monitors. Great days….

Obligatory brag of how bad my first PC was compared to today’s:

386SX (SX!) 16MHz, 4MB RAM, and a 40MB hard-drive that meant Windows 3.1 and Dos 6.2 took up most of it, and I could only fit one game on it at a time.

Feel free to better this. :)

ALSO: Autoexec.bat and config.sys editing. Boot-disks. HIMEM, etc etc.

stahlwerk says:

Hard-drive? You made of gold or what? ;-)

No, actually the first (real, ibm-compatible) pc i remember my dad owning was a 80286 “AT” (haha) chugging along at 8 MHz.
      It played alley cat just fine (i.e. slow enough to be able to react sensibly). I remember a lot of disk juggling, so I doubt it had an hd. And none of that fancy Hi-Mem stuff. 640k is enough for everyone.

Everyone.

• atticus says:

Ah, mine was an 486SX 20mhz (or 10mhz if you didn’t use the h4rdc0r3 Turbo-button on the case). There might have been 4mb of ram there as well, and a 80mb HDD which was dblspace’d to a gigantic 110mb. Graphics provided, I think, by a 512kb S3-Virge, though that may actually have been in my Pentium 133mhz from 1996. And of course, a 14″ screen from Chun.

I remember it costing approx. £1,300, which back then must have been a whole years salary… at least! Good thing for my father, the hopeful investor in my future, that I put it to good “educational” use ;) It came bundled with Stunts, 4D Sports Boxing and the 16colour version of The Secret of Monkey Island on some shady-looking floppys. Played them to death… Still remember the opening themes vividly, PC-speaker ofc :)

A friend of mine got a 486DX2 66mhz a few years after, with the holiest of holy: a proper soundcard. Playing Stunts was suddenly like driving a real car. The sound of the motor was incredible. A SoundBlaster-card was the first PC-upgrade I ever wished for.

James G says:

Came late to the game:
      100 MHz Pentium, 8Mb ram, 1.2Gb HD, SiS6205 Graphics card, Soundblaster Pro, 15” CRT monitor, Windows 95.

Gaming in general started with a C64, moved to a Specturm when the C64 died prematurely, then on to an Amiga 600 on my eighth birthday.

• BobsLawnService says:

I remember my first PC. An 8086 with a herculeas graphics adaptor and green monochrome monitor. We needed to run a CGA emulator to play a lot of the games.

Then we upgraded to VGA.

Next PC was one of the clone 386DXes to which I added an Adlib card and them MPC2 kit in about 93-95.

Then came the Cyrix 486DX 2/66.

Then the Celeron 300

Etc.

Good times.

• Axess Denyd says:

My first computer used audio cassettes. Check mate.

My dad pimped out the followup PCjr bigtime though…the clock speed was nearly doubled (from 4.77mhz to 9mhz), he hard-wired switches to change the boot drive (3.5″ or 5.25″), and there was even another switch that would change it from PC to PCjr. I think this is where my tweaking tendencies may come from.

• Risingson says:

My first computer was a zx spectrum 48. When it was broken, a spectrum +2a (a spanish exclusive one?). Then a 386 sx with 25 mh, later a 486dx 66, pentium 90, k7 900, and this dual-core I’m writing with.

• Zenicetus says:

My first PC was a Sanyo MBC-550, the first cheap almost-sorta-IBM PC clone. It had some incompatibilities so I couldn’t run a lot of things on it, but that forced me to learn BASIC and fool around with making pretty graphic swirls on the monochrome screen. I think I was able to run a few text adventure games on it, that was about it.

Thermal Ions says:

Gee, most of you are all obviously spring chickens. First proper IBM PC compatible I owned was an XT that ran at 4.77MHz (with a turbo button) connected to an EGA monitor, but only with a CGA graphics card as I couldn’t afford an EGA card after including flash extras like a 20MB hard drive and 14.4 Kb modem.

Of course that’s excluding the Amstrad PCW with it’s CP/M OS and 3″ floppies, and Commodore 64 with 120 down / 75 up baud modem for connecting to Viatel (similar to the British Prestel system). I recall wasting many days/weeks/months and dollars “online” chatting, gaming, etc – especially when they had their ridiculous 1 cent per minute weekend specials.

4. Davie says:

As a fetus having spent six months since cellular division, I doubtless would have greatly appreciated these.

5. BobsLawnService says:

1993 – A return to form for RPS.

6. Alliance says:

how do you guys have the time to write all these gag posts?

7. McDan says:

Was a slow year for pc gaming… But RPS has the vest April fools thing in my opinion. Great stuff. Especially loving all these compilations.

8. InternetBatman says:

The leading publishers will be Interplay, Microprose and Gremlin.

That line just made me sad.

9. Risingson says:

Long post will follow.

Back in 1993 I had a 386 sx 25mhz. With a large noisy 13” monitor. I had this computer for work, mainly, filled with the needful applications we all had: Wordperfect 5.1. (whose keyboard combos were even better than the Street Fighter 2 ones), Pc Tools 3.1 (the one you called with PCT) , Norton Commander (back when it was useful) and some games, some games I found interesting: Prince of Persia, Another World, Larry 1, and that funny Monkey Island game that, when I firstly played, I thought “oh, well, this is like one of those text adventures but just easier”.

Those were the days when we didn’t realize how well designed some games were, and how horribly designed other were too. Magazines praising “Rise of the Robots”, and reviewing with condescendence X-Com or Dune 2. Heh, those days back when french videogame designers ruled the world (Titus, Silmarils, Cryo, Infogrames, Delphine, Loriciel, Coktel…), when the discussions of “which is better, Sierra or Lucasarts” just meant that both had great games, and when you played Dark Heart of Uukrul or Eye Of The Beholder 2 with ease, again, not realizing the masterpieces they are. Days when I visited neighbours to change some games and talked hours and hours of the games we liked, tricks and such. Days when we met at the school and talked about our advancement in some adventure games, or even better, we spent all the recess time talking about our heroic tales in Their Finest Hour:Battle of Britain, F-19 or F-29 Retaliator.

Days where I spent weeks enjoying the new capabilities of a sound card I purchased, because I played the same games over to see how they sounded. Days when I met a friend to play Lakers vs Celtics, Kings of the Beach, Lamborghini American Challenge or Lotus III. When Civilization deprived me from my sleep. When I spent a whole day, 16 hours, to finish Flashback, just the first day I got it.

Days, of course, when sex didn’t exist and was something piling up in my fragile subconscious.

10. Torgen says:

First computer: Apple ][+. 16KILObytes of RAM, 7″ mono monitor. Dad brought it home for work when it was replaced. We immediately went to Radio Shack and bought an RF modulator to hook it to a spare TV. We later got an Apple IIe, with double 5.25″ floppy drives.

First PC was many, many years later on my own (1991), a 286/16mhz with 640K RAM and 20MB hard drive.

11. sephiroth says:

Wow guys so good I FINALLY registered rather than just lurk (perv) on these comments are topics. my vote for your right to be defacto kings of the interent is in the post

12. kud13 says:

the prediction that we’ll finally get a decent UFO: Enemy Unknown sequel by 2010 has made me sad.

Thermal Ions says:

So this has got me thinking that the Hivemind obviously needs to have a series / debate on the pre-IBM compatible, PC gaming “best decade” out of the neglected 1873 – 1993 period that RPS has been around. Admittedly some of those years were rather lean, both in game releases and RPS articles, but that’s no reason to neglect them.

14. Phydaux says:

Wot they looked like:
    Alec
    Jim
    John
    Kieron

I did post these last year in the old forum, but if the guys can recycle blog posts then I can recycle my comments.

If you’re wondering, the pictures are from their time at PC Gamer 10-13 years ago. Not quite 1993, but close enough. :)