Pre-Order King Arthur II And Get A Prologue

By John Walker on January 4th, 2012 at 9:51 am.

I remember this bit from the legend. Just before Arthur rides the dinosaur to Disneyland.

Edit: I have been STRONGLY told off by Paradox, involving a firm slap to the back of my knees, informing me that Dead Legions is about 10 hours of game, and that there will be a demo out closer to release.

Original: You can now pre-order Paradox’s King Arthur II, which I understand is a likely action by rather a lot of our readers. And good work if you do, because not only will you be able to sit back, safe in the knowledge that you’ve saved valuable seconds on the day of release, but you’ll also get a chapter of the game to play upon this very day. Which is why I mention it.

The chapter is called Dead Legions, and acts as the prologue for the game. This is how Paradox describes it:

“King Arthur II: Dead Legions is a tale of revival, resurrection and revenge; the chronicle of how the greatest adversary of King Arthur came into power – and the terrible price he had to pay..
The fate of the Romans lies in the hands of a noble man Septimus Sulla while the Once and Future King lies wounded in the south. The time has come to unearth the secrets of Hadrian’s Wall while venturing into the mists of the underworld to find the fabled ghost legions of Rome.

Are you prepared to lift your blades and join Septimus Sulla on his road to glory and darkness? The fate of Britannia rests on your shoulders – pre-order King Arthur II – The Role-playing Wargame now – and witness the rise of the most frightening emperor to ever walk the lands.”

I’m really not entirely convinced by this idea of giving what is essentially a demo only to those who buy the game before they can even play it. That seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Isn’t the point of a demo to entice those who aren’t sure if they’re going to buy, rather than those that already have? Well, the whole game is out this month, and here’s a trailer for the prologue:

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Andy_Panthro says:

If it really is a demo, then you could be paying for early access?

If it’s not a demo, will it be released as DLC?

2. Dariune says:

It seems a bit off that your missing part of the game unless you pre order (Im assuming this prologue is exclusive?)

• bigdeadbug says:

“a chapter of the game” Seems to imply that it’s just a chapter from the full game that you get early access to. So it will be included in the game after realise, pre-orders just get to play that chapter earlier [or you can get it as DLC, that'll teach me not to read down the page].

3. Nitrium says:

I was willing to pre-order this to support the developers (since I heard that they took the criticisms from the first game and really improved the second one) but… no, not supporting this shady move. Going to wait for reviews.

4. Dukkha says:

As far as I understand the prologue isn’t exclusive to pre-orders, but pre-ordering allows you to start playing right now. Since I loved the first one I didn’t hesitate buying this, but I guess it would had been better business i n the long run to release at leas thalf the prolouge as a demo.

5. lurkalisk says:

I would certainly want to make things clear, were I in their shoes. After all, 10 hours (if accurate) sounds like a much better incentive than the demo-like thing originally assumed. People can be swayed far too easily without concrete evidence…

6. bob. says:

It will be a 10 € DLC once the game is released. <a http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-KA2DL/king-arthur-ii-dead-legions-dlc I played through it and I enjoyed it but.. well it really was just a Prologue. I finished it in 6.5 hours and levelling up units etc (what I like most about this game) wasn't necessary.
    Also, it seems to me that (maybe that is intentional?) auto-resolve is godlike. I autoresolved the last 10 or so battles and never took any losses. In the real-time battles I would have taken quite some losses every game. Seems a bit counterproductive to actually… well.. play the game then?

7. Milky1985 says:

“I have been STRONGLY told off by Paradox, involving a firm slap to the back of my knees”

Quintin sneaking back into castle shotgun to dish out the slappings then i take it :P

8. jrodman says:

Oh good, so if we don’t pre-order, paradox will cut ten hours of content out of the game. I feel so much better.

• Blackseraph says:

You just get early access to it.

It is rather good too, I think!

• jrodman says:

Oh, well, thats quite a bit better then.

Does that mean bob’s comment that it will be a 10 euro post-release DLC is inaccurate?

• bob. says:

I just did some old-school detective work.. DLC on gamersgate, release date 10th december, price € 9.99… name: Dead Legions DLC.. compare with name of pre-order bonus: Dead Legions.. could they have something in common?
      I don’t think it’s even remotely worth 10 euros. But I got nothing against some free pre-release DLC to make waiting for the awesome full game easier so I’ll just leave the complaining to you guys.

9. Chris D says:

Any thoughts on whether the battles have been improved from anyone who’s played it? Not that I hated the battles in the first one, just that I caught myself thinking “Total War does this better” quite a lot.

10. Strabo says:

After the disaster that was Sword of the Stars II I rather hold off pre-ordering any games from Paradox. I rather wait a few weeks for reports if it is really playable.

11. The Tupper says:

“…the Once and Future King lies wounded in the south.”

That’ll bring tears you your eyes, that will.

12. The Tupper says:

I’m a-Guinevere on the side of caution until the demo comes out.

13. Nameless1 says:

Will do, loved the first game.
    Also It’s sad It has been so poorly advertised.

14. paterah says:

I didn’t get to play the first game but this looks very ambitious. Besides I’m a big total war fan and excuse me if I’m wrong this looks quite similar.

• Abundant_Suede says:

They are similar, but with different focuses. I cant speak to KA2, but KA1 was like TW-lite on the real time battlefields, being superficially similar but shorter on tactical depth than the TW games. But in the campaign portion of the game, a bunch of really great RPG bits were added allowing you to level up your knight/generals abilities as you saw fit, and even engage in roleplaying Text adventures.

All in all, despite some odd difficulty scaling issues, I thought it was quite a bit more fun than any TW game I’ve played.

• Chris D says:

I’d agree with most of that.

I think TW does the battles better. My issues with King Arthur were: I don’t think the victory point mechanic worked particularly well, although maybe I’m just bitter about that time two out of three were on the far side of a river and I was up against an army composed almost entirely of welsh longbowmen. I thought the battlefields were probably too large compared to the number of troops involved so you’d end up with a number of smaller skirmishes. Having to fight everything to the death tended to bog things down a bit in my opinion. And in a game where you want to try to level up your troops it’s annoying that entire units can be wiped out near instantly with a single spell.

For the campaign the main problem was that if you worked through the story too rapidly you could find yourself in an impossible position but there was know way of knowing that beforehand.

Having said all that, it also did a lot of things really well. Most of the RPG and story elements were great. If they manage to fix most of the issues then KA2 could be something really special, and even if they don’t it’s probably still worth picking up. (As is the first one.)

I am a big Total War fan but I’m more than happy to see someone else having a go at the genre, especially in a fantasy setting.

15. Navagon says:

The first game was fantastic, despite the difficulty spikes. I’ll definitely be getting this one too. Not 100% sure about pre-ordering though. Hopefully a demo will be released just in time.

Comment on this story