A Wild Fortune Summoners Demo Appears

By Alec Meer on January 5th, 2012 at 7:11 pm.

Notimeforanewscreenshotsorrysorrysorry

Just a quick one, as I’m supposed to be in the middle of cooking a curry and if my girlfriend catches me posting instead of chopping onions she’ll… WhatwasthatohgodI’mgonnadie.

Okay. Okay. It was only a passing seagull. Got to be speedy here. Side-scrolling RPG Fortune Summoners, the next translated Japanese indie game from Carpe Fulgur, now has an English-language demo. That’s here, at a svelte cost of 66MB. And its release date and price are newly confirmed as January 17th, 2012 and 25 USD/20 EUR/£16. Right, I need to slice some mushrooms before I get sliced up myself. Have fun!

« »

, , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ZIGS says:

I applaud the pricing scheme, might even buy it just because of that

2. Teronfel says:

I’m interested in this but 25$ is a lot.

• ZCAvian says:

According to Spacedrake on twitter, the price was set by their foreign partners.(I think it’s Lizsoft, this time?)

I’d like to second that I’m really interested in this and I want to support the company, but 25$ is a lot of money for something like this. At least there’s a demo, so we’re not jumping in blind.

• Kaira- says:

If the game is good and has enough length, 25$ is a bargain. However, it raises the barrier for “oh what the hell, I’ll just buy and try”. Luckily there’s demo.

• Guest_84592 says:

It’s the Japanese mindset, I guess. They extremely emphasise the “What costs little, can’t be good” mindset.
      Single anime episodes(!) on DVD/BD are around $50, visual novels can beat $100, music albums are about $40, singles are hardly or rather never below $15. The train of though is “low price” => “doesn’t sell” => “isn’t fun” => “I won’t buy it”.
      Doujin games follow that suit. They are rarely sold cheaply, even when purely digital. perhaps they want to prevent people from opting for the overseas version, even though the phase for making money with this game should be over at this point in Japan.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

I don’t think it is a lot to ask, considering the quality of their previous releases.

3. DK says:

They should be careful with the pricing or they’re gonna get sued for not ripping people off – like GoG was.

4. bowl of snakes says:

Recettar was pretty great but these other 2 games they’ve translated just haven’t interested me at all. Wonder if it’s because they don’t really realize why Recettar was a success or they just can’t get the deals done to bring more interesting games over.

• wu wei says:

Or maybe you’re not their only customer and they don’t exist to satisfy your sole whim?

5. diamondmx says:

Quick, what’s his girlfriend’s email address?

6. Doddler says:

I remember playing this back when it first came out a few years back. It’s definitely good fun, and none too short either.

7. playworker says:

Mushrooms, in curry? You should be ashamed of yourself…

• koo slayer says:

magik mushrooms n curry on the other hand…..

• tetracycloide says:

Fine I’ll ask: why should he be ashamed?

• Skabooga says:

Indian cuisine does not normally utilize mushrooms, from what I gather. And I gather a lot of mushrooms. And all the Indian restaurants are like “No thanks.”

• Tams80 says:

I think they just don’t trust mushroom identification skill(s).

8. Dominic White says:

Blame the developers for the high price. The game is 3-4 years old, but the Japanese version still sells for 3700 yen – $50. The US version is half the price… which is still too high. Lizsoft seem to be one of those dyed-in-the-wool Japanese indie studios that haven’t quite gotten their heads around this whole ‘digital distribution’ thing.

CF said they tried to convince them to go lower, but that was the minimum that Lizsoft would allow.

• Guest_84592 says:

Doujin game makers don’t think big. They never think about creating a smash hit beyond Japan, or even their subculture. When making a game, they try to cater to their rather small audience, that likes to throw money around for games featuring cute girls doing cute and non-so-cute things. Thus they can price their games higher than what is sane.
      You should have seen the outblow when EasyGameStation (Recettear, Chantelise) suddenly showed up on the Top100 game producer in the world list a while back. That was quite a shock.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah. Lizsoft are pricing the game at what they think a few hundred – maybe a couple thousand at a stretch – otaku will be willing to pay for their game, because they don’t understand that there’s literally a market of hundreds of thousands (Recettear has sold 170k+ units) that are just untapped.

• Matzerath says:

Don’t they know you can’t full price something in a culture that’s busily discounting itself into economic oblivion?

• Dominic White says:

Question: Do you sell at $25 and sell 10,000 copies, or $10 and sell 100,000? It’s pretty easy math.

Hands up, anyone – ANYONE – who’d pay the going price of $47 for the Japanese version?

• datom says:

Without wanting to be snarky, an equally apt maths problem is ‘Would you rather sell 10000 copies at $25 or 10000 copies at $10′, or even more appropriate, ‘Would you rather sell 10000 copies at $25 +90000 copies at $10, or 100000 copies at $10′.

9. Captchist says:

Mushrooms in curry is a scandal.
    That is all.

10. Wulf says:

I’ve been looking forward to giving this one a try.

Yoink!

11. PleasingFungus says:

Downloaded the demo (a few minutes before the article was posted, actually). First impressions:

The game seems pretty enough. The combat system feels nice (reminds me of modern Castlevania games), and seems to have some depth to it. The plot/characters aren’t compelling, but they aren’t actually annoying, which is better than I expected. In general, it feels… pretty okay.

Offered without comment: in the first 12 minutes, in the course of running errands, listening to exposition, and looting innocent villagers’ houses, I plundered no fewer than two pairs of underwear. (Male and female! Remarkable.) No one in-game seemed to care. So… okay.

• Bremze says:

One of the first npc’s I talked to, said that its ok for heroes to plunder everything they see and I got the looks of a hero… good enough for me!

12. mr_zen256 says:

Just played a bit of the demo and it gave me nostalgic flashbacks to Zeliard!

Are there any more games like this one (or Zeliard) that are available on PC?

13. mechabuddha says:

I really wanted to like this, but the combat was too clumsy for me. I think my problem is that I keep wanting the combat to be like a Tales game but it isn’t.

• Zorak says:

The issue is that you’re not playing it right then! The controls handle akin to Castlevania, with the key distinction that your types of slashes (e.g. “moves”) vary based on the directional input used when slashing.

There are also various maneuvering moves available such as rolls and combat rolls in there. It’s pretty intricate, really.

• Noc says:

It’s also worth noting that you unlock new moves as you level up. I beat the demo at level 3, by which point I’d unlocked a sword plant and an additional combo strike, both of which helped immensely; I’d imagine that in the full game you’ll slowly acquire a much more fluid and mobile arsenal of moves.

14. bluebogle says:

Spent a few hours with the (beefy) demo, and this looks very promising. Looking forward to it. As always, thanks RPS for sharing!

15. The Magic says:

I do hope RPS continue this trend of tagging every game Carpe Fulgur ever translate. In 10 years it’ll be longer than the comments section

16. Zorak says:

I rather enjoyed the combat mechanics in this. It really does feel like a Castlevania-y, Zelda II-y potpourri. The dialog still have that Carpe Fulgur shine, though it feels like they have a bit less to work with here than in the EGS games.

All in all, I’m looking forward to the full release.

DOWN STAB DOWN STAB DOWN STAB