Cities In Motion Moves To New York!

By Jim Rossignol on January 5th, 2012 at 1:34 pm.

And also to San Francisco! The urban transport management game is getting a US-focused expansion on the 17th of January, and transport within New York and ‘Frisco are the subjects of its desires. Needless to say there will be American landmarks and buildings in there, as context for your hot commuter-related management action. Quintin remained fairly unmoved by the game back when it was about to be released, but perhaps men of other, more transport-oriented talents will make more of it, and this new expansion. Previously the game was expanded with German cities.

There’s a video of the expansion in action, if you want to see some public transportation in a videogame, below.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Rinox says:

I got the game and the DLC and I really, really try to like it but it’s just…hard to get into. Even simple things like laying down your lines are a real pain in the ass.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

Same here. I load the game up once a week and every time I quit after 15 minutes. The entire experience just feels so tedious; however, I love the idea of the game and I fully support its uniqueness, so at least I don’t feel as though I wasted money.

2. scorcher24 says:

I have the game too and it is quite enjoyable.
    But the lack of schedules for your buses and trains ruin it in the same time to be honest.
    Normally I don’t ask for more microcontrol, but here it is the salt in the soup.

beekay says:

Yeah, when the only way to ensure regular arrivals at your stops is to flood the line with way more vehicles than you need, I can’t help but feel a little irritated.

• Cryptoshrimp says:

This a thousand times. How could they make a game about public transport and forget schedules?!

3. Bhazor says:

But more importantly, are the Houses in Motion?

Hodge says:

Yeah, I had the same experience. It looks wonderful in trailers but once I actually played it it left me cold. I certainly love the idea of the game but they seem to have focused on the pedantic aspects of that idea rather than the fun ones.

EDIT: That was supposed to be a reply to Rinox. No doubt the first of many reply fails this year.

5. Was Neurotic says:

Yep, Steam sale, this Christmas, game and DLC. Fiddly at first and ultimately annoying, with fun bits in-between.

6. Kollega says:

It features the American landmarks… but far more importantly, does it feature American models of buses, el-trains, and such? That’s more important in this kind of game than landmarks, i would wager.

7. Billzor says:

As an urban planning student I think the game is pretty fun. The transportation planning folks in my program got excited about the idea of such a game and seem to be enjoying it.

8. SolCommand says:

Well, I always wanted to go to New York so I guess this is my chance :D

9. MadTinkerer says:

Frisco? FRISCO?!? His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor of These Here United States and Protector of Mexico will have your head!

(I apologize for a running gag more than a century old, but it’s the first thing that came to mind.)