Firaxis Re-Making XCOM: Enemy Unknown

By John Walker on January 5th, 2012 at 4:30 pm.

Can it really be?

Oh good heavens, it’s a good job Alec’s in his recovery tank today. He’d be running in circles until he was sick. Firaxis have just revealed they’re making a new version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

I presume they mean UFO: Enemy Unknown.

Some magazine or other has the news on their cover. Firaxis, they of Civilization of course, are “re-imagining” the classic game, at a time when its fans are spitting blood and teeth in fury at its FPS spin-off.

According to the magazine or whatever, this will be a proper strategy game. Steve Martin (no not that one) of Firaxis said,

“O pointy birds, o pointy pointy/ Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.”

Wait, no, he said,

“It’s been a dream of ours to recreate X-COM with our unique creative vision. We’re huge fans of the original game and it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to re-envision a game that is as beloved as X-COM. We were careful to keep XCOM: Enemy Unknown true to the elements that made X-COM such a revered game while delivering an entirely new story and gameplay experience for both die-hard X-COM fans and newcomers to the franchise.”

Whether Sid Meier is on the project is not yet known. Cheers, Eurogamer.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Sheng-ji says:

Hurrah!

2. koo slayer says:

is that abe from oddworld?

• Mavvvy says:

Oh gawd, as if the mind control was’nt bad enough!!!

• Jahkaivah says:

So the new alien enemies now consist of armed Sligs alongside mind controlling Mudoken slaves led by Glukkons. In order to fight them X-Com must now utilise Oddworldian technology and….

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

3. nimzy says:

Hallelujah!

Edit: Initial elation over. Then I noticed it was coming out on consoles. Disaster!

4. Icarus says:

YES. All the yes, ever.

5. rocketman71 says:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :) :) :)

6. bitkari says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

7. povu says:

Xenonauts, now this remake… A proper XCOM game doesn’t seem that unlikely anymore.

8. Stellar Duck says:

But it isn’t contemporary!

9. Telperion says:

Thumbs up. Loved the game, want spankin’ new rehash, please. This and Jagged Alliance: Back in Action are making me a very happy PC gamer right at the start of the year.

10. RaveTurned says:

Cautious optimism. Further judgement reserved pending more details.

11. Kieron Gillen says:

I’m disgusted by this remake of the FPS original.

KG

• RaveTurned says:

Actually this raises an interesting question: Will this new XCOM game be set in the universe of the classic games, or the FPS reboot? Will your squad members be FBI agents from the 60s? *shudder*

• Shooop says:

Where’s the gun covering 1/3 of the screen and lens flare the rest?!

• Itantor says:

@Shoop if you check the magazine cover there’s a bald, grizzled space marine hiding just out of shot in the header image. I wish I was joking.

• DocSeuss says:

@RaveTurned: Judging by the picture, it appears to be set in the near future (the car looks somewhat old, like mid-90s, but the soldier looks near future), so not quite as far ahead as the previous X-Com games, but far enough.

• Unaco says:

In the original, the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit (XCOM) was formed in 1998. Looks like they’re keeping with that timeframe, if this is a remake of the original. The soldier will look futuristic because he’s a member of XCom.

• Highstorm says:

@RaveTurned

To that end, it’s interesting to note that the title is “XCOM: Enemy Unknown”, lacking the dash as the FPS does. Usually trivial perhaps, except that the quoted man seems to make a point of referring to the original as “X-COM” in every instance.

But then the enemy wouldn’t really be unknown if they’d already dealt with them once in the 60s eh?

12. suibhne says:

Somehow I doubt that “the elements that made X-COM such a revered game” will include good TB combat.

Also worth noting that “X-Com: Enemy Unknown” was the name on Playstation, so…yeah.

But here’s hoping! Maybe Firaxis can do this one right. Breath not held, but I’ll wait for more details before fueling up the angrytank.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Article:”The huge feature in February’s Game Informer goes into all the gory details of XCOM’s destructible tactical environments, the interaction between the real-time strategic view and the turn-based combat

I was holding my breath until I read that. As to whether it will be good, who can say. But at least the studio has the pedigree for it.

• suibhne says:

Right on – I just noticed that too. Guess I should’ve read TFA. I’m so conditioned to those details not being mentioned until later, then finding out it’ll be a “triple-speed real-time” game or some such. :D

You know, I like this rollout of XCOM stuff (if I really, really must use the new name). I found the FPS “reimagining” disappointing at first blush, but I always hoped it would be the launch of a new (old) franchise with enough room for different types of games. I’m somewhat astounded that this seems to actually be happening.

• OpT1mUs says:

UFO: Enemy Unknown (later released under the title X-COM: UFO Defense in the United States and Japan, and also as X-Com: Enemy Unknown on the Sony Playstation).

So Enemy Unknown is the original name of the game.

13. sabasNL says:

I don’t like “and newcomers to the franchise.”

Sounds like Firaxis is gonna make the same failure it made with Civilization V. Please dont!

• Kieron Gillen says:

Or the success of Civ 4 which was just as entryist?

KG

• Nick says:

I do hope its the latter rather than the former thats for sure.

• Brun says:

There’s nothing wrong with being entryist as long as depth is not sacrificed for its sake.

• Nick says:

exactly, as Civ 4 proved. Quite easy to get into but still extremely deep.

• frenz0rz says:

I always preferred Civ 3 over all the other civs. Am I a bad man?

• Bhazor says:

The “failure” of Civ 5 was being released with naff AI, broken netcode and not quite finished mod tools. Glitches, not design.

The game itself took almost nothing away from the godlike Civ 4 and improved on it in many areas that Civ has sucked at for years.

• Abundant_Suede says:

The broken AI and glitches were on top of alienating design. Even if the AI could play its own game, it (civ v) still wasn’t a game I liked, and removed things I could do in previous versions.

Not that it didn’t do *good* things as well. But on balance, I didn’t like the tradeoffs, and found much of the appeal of the game had been “streamlined” out.

• Kent says:

Hey, I bought the old X-COM just a few days ago and I didn’t have all that much trouble playing it, being a newcomer and all. And it was extremely fun to play. It feels like they’re just dumbing the most recent games down as if every newcomer had as much braincells as Lemmings.

14. Unaco says:

Colour me interested.

Actually, what colour denotes interest? My complexion only really suits strong and/or quite dark colours… if it’s something pastel or similar, don’t bother.

15. ZIGS says:

I can’t help thinking this was made as damage control for the FPS spinoff but hey, it’s Firaxis so it’s likely to be good. Though I wish they did something else other than a sequel or a remake. Their last new IP was Alpha Centauri, in freaking 1999

• CMaster says:

At least they are beating Valve, who last released a game based on their own concept in 1998.

• sneetch says:

“I can’t help thinking this was made as damage control for the FPS spinoff”

Really? You think they’d create an actual, entire game as “damage control” because of a few hundred or thousand angry internet men? Hundreds of man years and millions of dollars spent because some people were angry? On the internet? Where the main pasttime is creating posts that basically say “OMG I disagree with this and hate it. Here are my (often poorly considered or expressed) reasons”? Consider me sceptical.

More likely that they realised that maybe, just maybe there is still a market for this kind of game and not just FPS reimaginings.

Personally, I’m delighted and if they make a game that’s even half the game the originals were I’ll be snapping it up straight away.

• ix says:

You don’t spend multiple million dollars on “damage control”.

edit: unless the damage you’re controlling is a nuclear reactor meltdown, or similar.

• ZIGS says:

Aww, how cute, you guys think this game cost multiple million dollars

• Okami says:

And even in this case, you let the taxpayers spend the money…

• sneetch says:

@ZIGS says:
      “Aww, how cute, you guys think this game cost multiple million dollars”

Well, you’re apparently naive enough to think that the hatred displayed by some forum and blog commentators is enough to spur them on to writing a game so I wouldn’t be so quick to patronise people if I were you.

• Kaira- says:

Okay ZIGS, time for a quick mathematical lesson.

The game is coming out on three (3) different platforms, so we could reasonably assume that it’ll take a good chunk of time to work on, let’s say, 2 or 3 years, and say, 40 people in the team. According to this article here, I say we could safely assume that the salary per person is 66k $ a year. So, for 40 persons over 2 years that makes… a mere 5 millions and 300 000 dollars. That is, before we take to account that the actual costs to employer are usually 2,3 times the salary of the employee. So, we go over 12 million dollars just like that. With even 10 people (ridiculously small team for a multiplatform AAA-release) we’d still be on 3 million dollars.

• Abundant_Suede says:

@Zigs

Do you have any idea how much money games with contemporary graphics cost to make? Even a turn based 4x strategy game with low end graphics by a small studio can cost millions easily.

16. pilouuuu says:

Nooo! It should be an FPS! It’s the 21st century after all!

17. CMaster says:

EXCITED!
    (Although Civ V did leave me completely cold and unimpressed technically, compared to the near masterwok that was Civ 4)

Edit: Also, does this mean that 2K have changed their minds about Strategy games?

18. Nick says:

Happyhappyjoyjoyhappyhappyjoyjoy

19. Vinraith says:

Good lord, is it April 1st already?

Wait, you mean this is real?

Wow. My first thought is “that’s awesome” and my second thought is “those poor Xenonauts guys.” Not to say Firaxis couldn’t screw it up, of course, but as far as big budget houses go they’re just about the only one that makes any sense for this. Fingers crossed.

• Cooper says:

Yeah. Quite.

But you never know, this might spur the Xenonauts guys to plough headlong into actually getting the game done…

• Bhazor says:

Well I’m sure someone from the Paradox stable of developers could have a reasonable crack at it but no I don’t think I’d pick anyone over Firaxis for this. Now if they get Gollop and Sid on board…

• Vinraith says:

@Bhazor

I tend to think of Paradox and their associates as “medium budget,” AA developers rather than AAA. That’s no insult to them, mind, but they have neither the budget nor the restrictions and baggage that come with being owned by a colossal publisher like 2K.

20. Robin says:

Someone passed out reading this.

21. jackflash says:

Finally, a new X-Com game I can get behind! Eat it, 2k.

22. Maxheadroom says:

I would giggle like a schoolgirl if this made more money than the FPS version

• Abundant_Suede says:

It seems a dubious prospect. But I’m seriously considering buying ten copies of this game to do my part to make it happen.

Oh the comeuppance!

23. supernorn says:

But guys…strategy games are just not contemporary. I am still eagerly anticipating my ‘Ray Charles in the style of Kanye West’ X-COM.

In all seriousness this is great news.

24. Zyrusticae says:

“Alec will wee everywhere”

Indeed.

25. Khemm says:

I was excited. Then I found it out it’ll also be for consoles.
    My excitement is gone now and got replaced with CATIOUS optimism. I don’t want a shoddy console port with UI designed with gamepad in mind and watered down options replaced with cinematic camera angles and QTEs.

Btw, if that cover represents what the art direction is like, I can only say: this will be one ugly, generic looking game.

• Craig Stern says:

We’re talking about a turn-based tactics game here: consoles have been the primary recipients of this kind of game for years now. If they screw up the UI, it won’t be because it’s getting a console release.

• Khemm says:

@craig
      Consoles? I can understand handhelds with simple squad based TB games, but consoles? What have they gotten of late? One Valkyria Chronicles which is as deep as a puddle? Final Fantasy 13?

• koo slayer says:

im goin with blind raging optimism.. Fuck minecubestory, this is the best game ever made ( besides one of the gunmetal spacship things ocourse) and ill bite your face im so sure of the awesomeness

• Dolphan says:

I’m guessing the Nippon Ichi games: DIsgaea 1-3, Phantom Brave etc. Plus Valkyria, and there was a Fire Emblem game on the Wii. Probably some PSN/XBLA stuff as well?

• Craig Stern says:

Dolphan’s got it. Anyway, I sort of lump the handhelds in with consoles in my mind. They’re rather of-a-piece with the whole controller-using, proprietary-hardware-having paradigm.

26. Hendar23 says:

Ok, breath………….breath………………Must…..engage….cynic….mode………..horrible disappointment…awaits…..

Oh, wait….it’s for consoles? Oh there we go, it’s fucked. I mean it maaaay not be, but I’ll assume it is until it turns up otherwise. The burden of proof is on them.

Thanks Teh Goddess for Xenonaughts.

27. Museli says:

Interesting. I’ve already pre-ordered Xenonauts, but I have enough support left to throw some behind this too. I’ll be keeping an eager eye on this one.

28. Brosepholis says:

But will it be on Origin?? I’m boycotting Steam.

• koo slayer says:

are you fucking crazy? how hes gonna keep the weight on?
      HE may give away his competitors games for free but TRUFFLES COST MONEY YOU KNOW!

29. wodin says:

I also think Xenonuats developers will be praying it isn’t going to be similar to the old XCOM. Otherwise they really will be crying into their cornflakes though also pleased they asked for pre orders.

If this new game is like the old XCOM, I feel Xenonauts will be null and void, they will have to get a shift on and get it out before this new game to stand a chance of making some money.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I suspect the Firaxis game will still be a little too “streamlined” for hardcore/purists tastes, leaving Xenonauts with the same core audience appeal it always had.

30. wodin says:

Please remeber the old XCOMS came out on the PSOne. Infact I had it on the PSOne, they also have some great little turn based tactical games on handhelds etc so it is the sort of game that will work and sell on the console.

So the word console really means nothing when it comes to XCOM and isn’t a some kind of negative slur at all.

• Abundant_Suede says:

There have been plenty of good turn based tactics games on consoles. In the 90′s.

• Zyrusticae says:

Yup. Personally, I’m a big fan of the Disgaea series, though I’ll admit it is at least partially because I’m also a fan of that sort of art style. Turn-based strategy games have no problems existing on the consoles, really.

• Khemm says:

How is that an argument? Back in the day, even if X-Com, Broken Sword, C&C etc made it to the console(s), they were PORTS of their respective PC versions.
      This will be a multiplatform game from the beginning or the PC version will be a port of the leading console SKUs. Which means don’t expect anything as good as what could be if the game was PC only.

• Imbecile says:

But why? Why does developing for the pc first and porting to the console = good game, but developing simultaneously = bad game.

Its clearly nothing to do with hardware restrictions. I guess the argument normally comes down to the console demographic, though I was under the impression that the average console gamer was mid -30′s, and smoked a pipe. Certainly there are plenty of turn based games on the DS, and a decent number of good games released for the consoles. So I’m a little confused.

That said, the mouse tends to be far superior for most strategy games. And I lied about the pipes.

• Zyrusticae says:

Yeah, no, I don’t buy that simultaneous development automatically = a worse game.

Keep in mind that a lot of the design decisions developers make today are being driven by demographic and the desire for a larger audience, NOT by hardware limitations (though the graphics side of things is obviously one that is affected by that, but who really cares that much about that?). Also, because they want more moolah. Especially moolah.

The interface may see some compromises, but then, the original X-COM’s interface was… not great, so there’s room to improve there anyways. Control-wise, it’s not a micro-heavy RTS, and the combat’s even turn-based, so the gamepad controls aren’t going to horribly murder the game in its infancy, either.

The bigger question is whether or not they will perform compromises in the attempt to appeal to a larger demographic, but the fact that they’re even keeping turn-based combat says a lot. I remain optimistic.

• Khemm says:

@Imbecile
      Bacause gamepads. Because Crysis 2. Because Deus Ex 2. Because every FPS made with consoles in mind compared to what we had during Quake and Unreal Tourney days. Because Halo Wars compared to any semi-decent RTS.
      The list goes on, every time someone shows up saying “oh they won’t ruin it, oh it’ll be all right, oh there are no limitations to consider when developing for consoles” and they’re ALWAYS wrong. Sometimes the games turn out to be OK in their own right, but they always lose a lot compared to their PC-oriented predecessors/equivalents.

@Zyrusticae
      Wait till you get a UI obviously designed for gamepads, gigantic icons, huge fonts, cycling through dozens sub-screens to get to basic information, then you’ll see what I mean about console-oriented UIs.
      Unless Firaxis aren’t a bunch of idiots of course, then we’ll have a proper interface created solely with PC in mind.

• Trithne says:

Gamepads are good for playing games with though. Keyboards are not. I don’t see a problem, turn-based strategy hardly suffers for gamepad design. And you’ll get the option of using one or the other on PC. Isn’t that why we’re PC gamers? For choice?

Because if I were to base it on you, We’re PC gamers so we can fellate ourselves and feel superior. Large icons are helpful, good games design using effective symbols, not hundreds of little bits of text on the one screen.

• Khemm says:

Why won’t you play, say, Morrowind which had all the necessary info on one convenient screen and then play crap like Oblivion which was not only a dumb game, but required that you flip through several pages to get to the piece of information you need? Mutliplatform development in its glory.
      p.s.Keyboards are superior to gamepads in many genres.
      I’m sorry, but your arguments are so irrational it’s not even funny.

• Trithne says:

I have played Morrowind and Oblivion. Your point? There was nothing wrong with Oblivion’s interface, unless you wanted to hate on it for being different. Yes, they make things larger. In semi-decent design, you can scale it (Sure, it needed a mod in Oblivion, but still possible). Yes, they have sub-screens. Sub-screens are good. It keeps things organised. If you can neatly divide information on a single screen and have it easily understood then sure, but don’t hate on sub-screens. You’re just a standard-issue ‘Consoles are evil and ruining games!’ drone, parroting the same arguments. That sort of ‘Consolitis’ doesn’t even happen anymore. And again, it’s not inherently bad.

• Bhazor says:

The sexual tension between you two is palpable.

• Imbecile says:

@Khemm. Naming dissapointing games that have appeared on both platforms isnt really an argument, as it doesnt highlight *why* they were poor. I might as well respond with good games available on both platforms.

Which leaves your joypad comment, that has already been responded to. Arguably a mouse is better, but for classic x-com, and turn based games in general, the pad is fine. Either way, I guess we are all rooting for a good game.

As an aside, I’m sure there were three additional poor x-com games after Terror from the deep. I have no doubt that had they been released on the consoles simultaneously, the consoles would have got the blame.

31. RyuRanX says:

*crying rivers of joy*

Xenonauts, UFO II: Extraterrestrials and now a new X-COM: Enemy Unknown! Gotta buy them all!

32. Demiath says:

I want to marry this RPS post.

33. simonh says:

Amazing! Firaxis seem like the perfect people for this as well!

34. Christian O. says:

I’m mostly excited about this because it mean you’ll all stop bitching about it now.

35. Rinox says:

Sweet chocolate jesus yes.

36. frenz0rz says:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Righto, now that burst of elation is out of the way – I hope they get the atmosphere spot on, since my only concern for Xenonauts was that it was looking a little drab.

I want crazy, terrifying aliens, along with their wierd and creepy interior design choices. I want to unlock strange, wonderful future-tech like floating tanks with plasma cannons and laser rifles with infinite ammo. I want to see shadows flicking across a dark alleyway in a glorious 3D engine, my soldiers (and my mouse fingers) trembling at the trigger. Heck, I want to see hair-styles the likes of which we’ve not seen since the early 90s!

Actually, maybe skip that last one…

• jezcentral says:

I want a new Chryssalid, plus green-oozing zombie offspring….

The Chryssalid is the most fearsome enemy I’ve ever seen in a game. More then an army of Aliens, or an uber-ed Heavy Weapons Guy. I don’t just want to leave the tactical map, I want to leave the planet. (Until I get the Flying Suits, so I can just hover out of their reach.)

37. Cryptoshrimp says:

Eh, I’ll see if it’s good when it’s out. Untill that time there’s XcomUtil. You don’t need more, really.

38. vodka and cookies says:

Awesome just copy Valkyria Chronicles turn based combat mode and your all set, thats what one of the Gollop brothers said should happen.

• Khemm says:

Valkyria is simplistic and tedious, I want to be able to control all of my units from a bird’s eye perspective.

• Drowning Rabbit says:

This is exactly what I was thinking. A new style tactical strategy will NEED to take a tip from Valkyria Chronicles.

It was a great re-imagining of the genre. Granted it has some issues, but the days of a top down tactical strategy game are dead unless you’re on a portable like the DS with Advance wars. If you’re waiting for an HD version of the original X-Com, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Jimbo says:

A lot of VC is ok, but it’s painfully slow to actually play.

• Khemm says:

@Jimbo
      Hush! It has third person perspective and you can shoot stuff, so it’s NEXT GENERASHUN, isometric is OUTDATED YO.

Actually, I feel like punching in the face all those who firmly believe in that nonsense. They should get back to their consoles and stay there.

• Drowning Rabbit says:

@Khemm
      The old ways are dying out, this is a game for consoles/PC’s, hoping for a purely isometric game is a fools errand.

I would love for an HD X-Com, but the current climate doesn’t appreciate nostalgia as much as the next person.

• NathanH says:

But isometric is easier to use and looks better (for a given level of graphics expenditure that isn’t too high)!

39. Craig Stern says:

This is excellent news. I’d been waiting for them to make the original available somewhere other than Steam, but if they’re going to do a faithful remake, perhaps I’ll just wait and see how they handle it.

• jezcentral says:

Do they make non-Steamworks games? All the recent Civs have been tied to Steam, haven’t they?

(Which I love, but I understand those that don’t.)

• Vinraith says:

The original is available DRM free via DIrect2Drive (act fast, before they go to their new client-based crap) or via Gamersgate. I don’t know why it’s not on GOG, but Steam is not your only option.

• Craig Stern says:

Oh, good! I just remember hearing a gagillion places that it was on Steam, and sort of naturally assumed that that was the extent of it, since those stories never seemed to mention any other distribution channels.

…holy crap! GamersGate is selling a pack of every single X-Com game ever released, and for less than $4! Um, purchased.

40. Lambchops says:

“Some magazine or other”

Bless your long memory John!

41. SiHy_ says:

About bloody time. I take it we’re getting a more faithful ‘reimagining’ of Syndicate as well?

42. apa says:

How did they get the license?

43. Caleb367 says:

YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS
    *runs around trashing stuff and throwing people out of random windows*
    *eats furniture*

44. Sidewinder says:

This is wonderful news! My joy is tempered only by the memories of the disappointing Civ 5 and the fact that I’ve clearly been asleep for 56 days.

45. SwiftRanger says:

“XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes out for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC this fall”

So yeah, I was almost excited. While turnbased combat is easier to transform to a control pad than real-time strategy I am not so confident the PC version won’t be limited by the multiplatform development. It’s still 2K Games acting as publisher and to be honest: empire-building turnbased strategy isn’t tactical squadbased strategy, Firaxis has no experience at all for this (except for the global conquest part). Expectations set to very low.

46. koo slayer says:

awesomely amazing heroic news… but arent turn based games boring and old?

47. jezcentral says:

I announce my happiness.

I’ll be buying this no matter what, day 1, but I hope they do a good job of capturing the sheer terror. It was much scarier when you saw a laser bolt or a bullet crawl across the screen, making you wait before showing you if it hit one of your men or not.

Even with DOSBox turned up to the max, today’s PCs run the game too quickly, everything happens between turns in a split-second and the danger has passed (or your man has been killed) before you even register that it is there.

The screenshot does look a little Abomination: The Nemesis Project, though.

Oh, and explosions that look like skulls, please.

48. Dariune says:

Well this is good news … hopefully.

Firaxis tarnished their rep, with me at least, with the release of Civ 5, which like many other a game, was a little TOO streamlined.

However i REALLY hope they can pull this off and make the same game but improved. Modern (ish) graphics, more research options, more base building options and more soldier options … and while we are asking for more, more global options as well please.

We shall see. Cautious optimism here.

49. twosai says:

Is this a strategy game???

50. AreChaos says:

Hopefully this game will be good.

Comment on this story