Star Trek Online Now Free To Former Subs

By Jim Rossignol on January 5th, 2012 at 10:02 am.

It’s a bit of a shame that we already did the “RPS Free To Read” joke, I feel like it would have been useful this morning. Anyway, the news is that Star Trek Online is nearing the freeness now shared by dozens of its MMO brethren. It’s currently a limited roll out, as producer Stephen D’Angelo explains: “anyone with a lapsed subscription to Star Trek Online will be able to log into the game and play as a Silver member. This means that any account that has in the past subscribed to the game, even if only for the initial month, can come back and play for free!” The details of these new subscription details, with the content and features offered by them, can be explored here.

Full freeness for everyone commences on the 17th of this month.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. lurkalisk says:

Can’t say it would be proper incentive to play anyway, unless it’s changed drastically since release.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

Pretty much this.

Last time I checked STO was terrible.

• Was Neurotic says:

While “terrible” is entirely subjective and a matter of opinion, “changed drastically” is a fairly accurately measurable definition. And if you haven’t played since launch, then yes, the game is significantly different now than what it was then.

• Choca says:

The game changed drastically since launch. It’s still pretty bad though.

• sephiroth says:

I was a launch sub and other than a free month of wow it was my first MMO kinda put me off ever paying for an MMO.

I will check it out again soon as I’m far to much of a sci fi nut / trekie for my own good and hope that I can get a nice klingon k’vort to mess up startfleets bubbly coyness and for it to actually be A fun B not feeling like me vs all the fedbears in a ball like it was at launch.

at launch everyday was a good to die in the empire as there really was little hope with such a fed based game. long live kahless and all that

• kevmscotland says:

Whats always really bothered me about STO was for the longest time it really lacked content, and for each new thing they added, it usually went straight to the C-Store rather than being a fundamental part of what you were paying your subscription fee for.

they basically nickel and dimed the subscribers ontop of their sub fee.

now its seems theyve found a way to nickel and dime it further by adopting a “F2P” model that has you buy pretty much everything anyway.

Ships that i used to get for leveling before, I now have to pay for if I’m a silver user.
      And last i checked, they still hadnt expanded the content all that much.

And before u say the STF’s, they are pretty poorly put together.

• Durkonkell says:

Note: I originally wrote a much longer post, but didn’t actually post it due to excessive lengthiness. If you’re on the fence and you want more detail, click on my name and its the top post (or here if you like).

Note Note: I’ve played from beta on and off, last playing in the F2P beta a couple of months ago. Some things may have changed, but I’m reasonably current.

STO has changed a lot over the past couple of years. It also has a couple of really neat unique features. The big one is the Foundry, the user generated content tools that allow players to put together their own missions, many of which are of really exceptional quality. I mean, they’re good enough that Cryptic are drawing from the top rated foundry authors for their own internal content team.

It also has the best character customisation of any MMO I’ve played, and allows you to recustomise your character and your entire bridge crew for energy credits (the in game currency – no RMT required).

Space combat is pretty good, too. Oh, it does still have it’s issues – some of them fairly significant – but that doesn’t mean it’s not a worthwhile game still. I play it for a bit, go away for a bit and then come back, and that suits me fine.

• neonordnance says:

I was a beta-tester and I eagerly pre-ordered the collector’s edition, only to cancel my sub in disgust a few months later.

I am happy to report that STO has improved drastically since its launch. It’s still not very loyal to canon (it butchers canon, to be honest), but as an MMO it is now a decent game. There is a large amount of interesting content, and quests are a step above your average MMO (although nothing approaching a traditional RPG like Fallout or Skyrim). The new officers sub-game, allowing you to recruit minor characters and send them on Mafia Wars-style missions for rewards is a lot of fun and very addictive, providing a nice little background risk-reward setup and a small rewards trickle for little to no effort. The space combat is as fun as ever (it beats the pants off EVE in this regard) and the number of items has increased enough to provide slightly more depth in customization (although it pales in comparison to the latter). Ground combat is still shaky but it has improved a bit.

One thing I was extremely impressed by was the amount of content available for free. Although Cryptic continues to annoy players with their in-game C-Store microtransaction thing (asking me to pay for substantial amounts of content on top of the price of the boxed game and the sub was one of the reasons for my leaving), the vast majority of content is available to free players, including all of the solid “episodes” quest lines, all items, and pretty much everything else. The stuff behind the subscription paywall really does feel like a bonus rather than a major portion of the game.

Finally, although the C-Store still irks me, Cryptic has taken the awesome and highly unusual move of allowing the purchase of C-Store points with in-game resources. Sure, the exchange rate is pretty high, but not unattainable. I’m sure this is especially useful to high-level players who are looking to extend their playing experience or show off their wealth without reaching for their wallet. I applaud Cryptic for this move!

2. Dawngreeter says:

It’s totally free, but only if you paid for it!

I know, I know. That’s not it at all. But it’s too good to miss poking fun at it.

3. Theoban says:

My problem with ST:O was that I did everything I wanted to do. I got an escort class ship, whizzed about a bit and went to see DS9. Game done!

4. cairbre says:

I think I will give it a go I did try the original but I am anti monthly sub feels to much like a mini mortgage or rent so no thanks but I will try it again

5. Nighthood says:

SWTOR will be seeing the same story soon, no doubt.

• TotalBiscuit says:

You’d have to be unbelievably foolish to believe that

• Kent says:

What makes you say that? What is it really with SWTOR that everybody is so gung ho about? It just looks like KotOR (which is kinda overrated) and it is supposed to be WoW but the gameplay feels a lot like Champions Online with everybody owning a pet. It is simply yet another MMO that follows the same basic formula as everybody else.

• Kuroko says:

SWTOR will never be F2P because Bioware would rather see it die than give anything for free.

• zaphod42 says:

Do you realize that currently the servers have WAIT QUEUES? They can’t handle the number of people that want to play The Old Republic. They launched with more servers than WoW did.

I know its easy to criticize the traditional MMO business model, and so many who have attempted it lately have failed hard (Hellgate, APB, STO, etc. etc.) while others that are or go free2play thrive.

But The Old Republic is a game changer like WoW was a game changer to Everquest.
      Its not for everybody, some of the hardcore WoW fans don’t like it (and I would remind them that WoW wasn’t half the game it is now at launch)

But as Yahtzee said, “Fish swim, birds fly, and Bioware writes good. ” Its just a fact.
      The story is SO good. It sells everything else. I simply don’t care its an MMO, I don’t care I’m being charged monthly, I don’t care there are some bugs and some things that need to be polished,
      ITS JUST SO DAMN FUN.
      I went into beta saying “This is so much like wow, meh” and I almost completely ignored it because I was having so much fun in Skyrim. But then I put some time in, and… Damn if they didn’t COMPLETELY convert me.

People that say it will never be F2P are wrong, if it did lose enough subs then they’d probably go that way.
      But people saying it will be F2P in a month or a year are totally wrong, and have no idea how many people are just going bonkers over this game. Already over 350K concurrent subscribers, that is more than the ENTIRE PLAYERBASE of Eve Online. And general metrics say that concurrent is equal to 30% of your total base or so. If that is true, then they’re at about a million subs, which is more than they said they needed to run the game very, very profitably.

• Kent says:

That’s a really good answer zaphod42, I admit.

But I would like to point to Guild Wars as a game that didn’t follow the basic MMO formula at all, but still won a pretty good popularity. Don’t say it were just because of it’s lack on monthly costs, it were a quality game!

• Oasx says:

SWTOR feels like Bioware spent the last five years recording audio and nobody on the team has played an MMO since then, everything about the gameplay is just so stale and boring, it is completely generic in every way.

The story is really good, but i dont think it is good when you are dreading having to walk through another long dungeon knowing that the same two enemies will be standing around in large packs every few meters, i just found the game to be a chore.

SWTOR is as much a game changer as putting new frosting on an old moldy cake.

• aircool says:

There’s a lot of people who enjoy the ‘standard’ mmo model. To be fair, they’re mostly older gamers who spend a lot of time socialising in game.

There’s no reason for SWTOR to go F2P anytime soon.

6. Real Horrorshow says:

I don’t care what anyone says, I’m super excited for STO going free.

DS9 > *