A Brief Survey Of RPS Community Stuff

By Jim Rossignol on January 6th, 2012 at 4:09 pm.

The Community parlor, for smoking and petting of hounds.
Right then, there’s quite a bit of multiplayer gaming go on around the RPS community, and there should be something there for most folks who want to get involved in such activities. Your first port of all should be the forums, where you can see things like a Neptune’s Pride being organised. There are a few big sub-communities on there, such as the Unofficial Minecraft server, which is VERY good, and also the Blood Bowl league, which I believe is one of the biggest, if not the biggest community Blood Bowl league. Notice Arma 2 has its own sub-forum? That’s because they’ve got a big old Mumble server they use for all kinds of games, and are organising regular Arma 2 missions on their server. It’s a splendid community that we are really proud of. Especially since it’s almost entirely down to you guys. Hell, there’s even real life stuff in them there forums, too, such as the London social club. A regular outing!

Then, of course, there’s the rest of the internet, including our Steam group, which occasionally helps us organise games. You can follow all the RPS writers on Twitter, here, here, here, and here. Are you running a community or event for RPS readers? Speak up now!

__________________

« | »

1. mrwout says:

Very creepy, I was just browsing the forums looking for some community stuff that might interest me…..and then I refresh the front page and see this….scary

2. Jockie says:

We half-arsedly tried to put together an RPS SW: TOR guild. There were 2 of us, which is not actually big enough to register the guild in- game. I ran away and joined the guild for Jaunty RPS tribute blog PC Gamer instead.

3. Kefren says:

I couldn’t find a Frozen Synapse thread in the forum (apart from tournaments) – I thought there might be one with a list of FS players’ names so we could challenge each other. However maybe my spectacles are in need of Dr Watson’s De-fogging Exactitude Wipe.

4. Carr0t says:

Does RPS have an IRC channel anywhere, or am I old and out of date to ask after one of those? I had a quick skim of the forums as i’m sure I found a thread about one once before, but a) I can’t find it now and b) If I had found one presumably it was old/out of date info, otherwise i’d be idling in the channel now.

5. Shooop says:

There are next to no Serious Sam 3 threads. Something is wrong with all of you.

6. HexagonalBolts says:

I run a small super-friendly fantasy-building-themed minecraft server for RPS readers (i.e. castles, medieval towns, evil towers, no 45 foot tall Super Mario statues…), we’ve just started a new map and we’re fairly empty at the moment so now would be a great time for new people to join:

Also we have a page for Starcraft II players wanting to practice or play team games:
    Which is admittedly a bit quiet because Starcraft II is predominantly such a solitary game, but there are still a great deal of us playing team games, I play team SC2 every day so add me if you fancy some.

7. Hanban says:

There’s an RPS community in EVE in the Community section of the forum. If anyone is looking to become a terrible person you’re welcome to look us up!

8. Unaco says:

The Steam Group chat room is constantly populated (gets quiet in the early hours of European mornings), and a good place to try and drum up people for, and to organise Coop and Multiplayer gaming. There is a lot of ArmA talk there, but it’s not exclusive to that… In fact, as I type this, a group are about to jump into some EYE Coop, and there’s been Dead Island and F3AR Coop games arranged the last day or so.

9. HexagonalBolts says:

Also, would anyone fancy a bit of Terraria?

10. Raziel_Alex says:

No more Bad Company 2, huh? Yes, I’m late to the party.

• MajorManiac says:

I’d love an RPS game of Bad Company 2. Anyone still up for a game?

• MrWeed says:

In fact, a game of Bad Company 2 Vietnam was organised yesterday. There were only 2 of us, though. You might want to go to the Steam chat and ask around.

• Raziel_Alex says:

Yup, a game would be nice. And the some more. Anyway, I’m Raziel Lysander in the game, add me there. Sadly, I have the game on beautiful Origin so no Steam hugs but I’ll also check the Steam chat for news. And please post here again if you’ve got more matches coming. Cheers.

• Stellar Duck says:

Speaking as the second man in the BC2 game I’d say that it was good fun and more people should play. So, yea, ask around. If I’m around and have the time I’m always up for a bit of BC2 or Vietnam.

I’m still rather impressed we managed to win that round of Rush, MrWeed. You know which one, I think. :D

11. westyfield says:

No Kindness Club or Data Smuggling Ring mentions? I’ll rectify that, then.

12. Coccyx says:

Jim Rossignol, linking to a post I’ve made. My life is complete. Putting that aside for the moment, we’ve still got spaces in a second Neptune’s pride game – anyone reading this is welcome to join, so long as you’re not ultra good at it. Seriously, the less experience you have the better.

13. Unaco says:

For more ArmA related stuff… We also have an ArmA dedicated RPS Steam group, which can be found/joined here… http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPS-ARMA

Also, we have the Herosquad site, produced and maintained by Nullkigan… http://www.herosquad.org/

Lots of information there, about ArmA mostly, but also the Mumble server details, which is not used exclusively for ArmA… there are rooms on the server for many Mutliplayer/Coop games, and it can be used for them, or for any games you’d like to play. If you come to the RPS Steam Group Chat room, someone there can help with that. But the Mumble server is for pretty much any (unofficial) RPS gaming goings on.

14. thegooseking says:

I’m theoretically running Rock, Paper, Scotland for Scottish readers but it’s a somewhat ramshackle affair at the moment and I don’t think we’ve successfully organised ourselves to do anything yet. We have a Steam group but given our focus is not on any particular game, I’m not sure what that’s for. There was some talk of getting together to play some board games.

There is a forum thread here if anyone not already involved wants to join and/or suggest any events.

15. Kadayi says:

If anyone is suffering from excessive game back loggery we have a thread all about that : -

As well as Steam public group based around surviving until the Christmas 2012 Steam sale: –

Join and add a comment/pledge about your intentions ‘ No new games until..’ or ‘No new games aside from X …’ Set your own terms. No real commitment necessary, just the knowledge that there are others like you suffering from too many unfinished and un-played titles on real & digital game shelves. Take a year out to if not clear them all, at least reduce them down in number some.

16. The Tupper says:

Without wanting to be too arse-licky, the communty around this site is so good in large part because of the work that the writers/owners put into it. And I’m not just talking about the copy, but the formidable behind the scenes work that I imagine goes into keeping reader contributions from getting mega-spammed and (worse) infected by blatant idiocy.

I reckon all websites should adopt a Guliani-style ‘broken windows’ policy (as RPS appear to), whereby any twat that posts ‘First!’ or somesuch gets removed entirely from the record of the page. They’ll find other places to gather, I’m sure, and it elevates the general tone of the discussion here to a league of its own.

It’s appreciated, chaps.

PS: Thankfully, this policy doesn’t extend to blocking downright lethally-bad puns or else you’d rarely hear from me.

17. Gap Gen says:

There’s a small but active Scourge of War: Gettysburg group going: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSSOW (we normally play evenings towards the end of the week, UK time), as advertised by Tim in one of the recent Flare Paths. If you like set-piece battles with tens of thousands of dudes on the field at once, check it out.

18. mickygor says:

We’ve got a channel in League of Legends EUW server, “The RPS Tea Room.” It’s quite active, we get games going every day, and we also have a 100 slot mumble server that you’re free to make use of (avid-gaming.com, port 64738, unpassworded).

19. rocketman71 says:

Your first port of all should be the forums, where you can [...]

Shouldn’t that be “port of call”?

20. HughTower says:

Don’t suppose there’s a Solium Infernum thread…?

Just read the archived stuff over Christmas and I’m feeling all Machiavellian…

• 0over0 says:

Solium Infernum is what originally brought me here. There are several of us (at the very least, who play–it’s just had a new expansion). There used to be a thread here, but you can always check in the Steam room or check the official SI forums.
      Nothing like SI to chase away those overly cheeful holiday spirits–or drive you to chase your own spirits in despair.

Comment on this story