Planeturret Defense Force: Commander

By Adam Smith on January 6th, 2012 at 3:14 pm.

Commander. Not the most inspiring title in the world, to be sure, but there’s a charming little game hiding behind it. A tower defence game without any towers, Commander plops you in the seat of a ship, zipping about from planet to planet and dropping various sorts of turret on the surface, ready to blast any incoming threat. Those turrets must be enormous and probably bring down property prices in the area, stretching out into space as they do, but they get the job done. The game’s still in alpha but there’s a demo available on Desura, as well as an option to pay £2.99 for this and future releases. See video below.

Blocky aliens and jolly little planets! Eye-embracing particle effects! There’s nothing gritty or grim about this end of the world, it’s like a firework display and a child’s memory of a planetarium having a fun day out at a fairground. It plays well too and I like the way the enemy paths loosely conform to the gravitational pull of the celestial bodies around them, which allows for clever use of a gravitational turret to slow the blighters down.

A level editor rounds out the package, allowing the construction of sizable and complex gauntlets. Do try the demo if you are so inclined.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Jim Rossignol says:

I wish it was called Planeturret.

2. Anthile says:

That looks an awful lot like Immortal Defense, one of the most underappreciated indie games there is.

• siegarettes says:

On the otherhand, Paul Eres, the creator of the game is a big poster on TIGSource, which is a decent sized indie community and drops a little plug for it every once in a while, so it gets some exposure.

• sacred_flame101 says:

Ah that’s the game i was thinking of thanks for that. I may have to re download the demo some time

3. richardeflanagan says:

Jodie (the dev of Commander) is a stand up guy. Having played, and really enjoying this gem of a game I can highly recommend it to fans of tower defense(ish) stuff. There are a few twists that keep this one fresh including: same screen co-op, dynamic paths, and some twin-stick elements.

Great stuff!

4. mattyice says:

This looks like Nyan Cat was made into a tower defense game.

Which is exciting.

5. Wahngrok says:

I’m completely late for the party but I just found out that this reminded me of a game I found out about a while ago and then forgot about it. Now it is on Steam: http://www.unstoppablegorg.com/