Super: New Year IndieRoyale Bundle

By Jim Rossignol on January 6th, 2012 at 8:30 am.

The latest IndieRoyale bundle includes FPS/RTS hybrid Nuclear Dawn, side-scrolling platformer puzzler Max & The Magic Marker, beautiful puzzler Fractal, and also psychedelic shooter Super Crossfire, which is appearing on PC and Mac for the first time. Quite the selection! There’s also a chiptune bonus for paying more than the minimum. The bundle is available for the next four-and-a-bit days. As ever on IndieRoyale, it’s a PWYW, but there’s a minimum price which goes up as more people buy.

, , , , .

1. mongpong says:

After the Steam sale I swore I would stop buying games for a bit. Ooops! Was too good to miss. Those swines!

2. RiptoR says:

This is the first bundle I’m going to skip, seeing as I bought Nuclear Dawn already and I have no interest in the other games. Also, after buying all Humble Bundles and the first 4 Indie Royale Bundles, I’ve got enough games to keep me busy for quite a long while.

• cafe says:

Same here! I allready owned most of the games in the last few bundles I bought. The bundle makers don’t seem to care about this or they just want you to buy the same games over and over again. I wouldn’t mind at a price this low, I just wish they would finally allow us to gift all these double and quadruple games on steam..

• Somerled says:

@cafe

Can you not gift them from IndieRoyale? I thought this was the only bundle that gives individual Steam keys. You can activate the ones you want, and give away the ones you don’t. Or are there some shenanigans that prevent that?

barelyhomosapien says:

You can indeed gift games from the Royale Bundles! And I intend to do so with the Fractal key!

3. Dawngreeter says:

I’m looking for some tips about Nuclear Dawn. How’s the game? Are there any people playing it? Is it broken? Can it be fun for a group of four to play once in a while?

• shaydeeadi says:

It’s quite fun, the odd balancing issue but it is far from broken. If you were to roll as a squad of 4 you would probably dominate most infantry situations. I’d guess a few more are playing it now but you could find full/good servers when it had about 80 concurrent players, the free weekends and sales have boosted the community a bit. I just wish they would buff the medic SMGs a bit.

The maps are really good too imo, loads of multilevel stuff and flanking routes. But be warned that losing the game involves getting baseraped for 5-10minutes depending on how stubborn your commander is. But it is also an RTS (for one guy per team) so that is why.

• RiptoR says:

I’ve been playing the game for over a month now and I’m having a blast with it. On servers where people try to play as a team and when there’s a decent commander, then the game truly shines. The gameplay might look complex at first, but it doesn’t take long to figure out what to do on most maps.

If you’re planning on playing together as a squad, you’ll have plenty of fun. If you’re looking to play 2on2, then I suggest you look elsewhere (minumum is 3vs3 anyway or the round doesn’t start).

• Xan says:

Just keep in mind the game isn’t for everyone.

The only way to end a match is what Battlefield calls “baserape”, in Nuclear Dawn it’s the only way to destroy a base and it’s frustrating to play the last 2-3 min of the match as you’ll be stuck in a circle of spawning and dying in 2-3 seconds.

The rest of the game is entertaining but losing in this game just feels frustrating as it drags on for a while and esentialy prevents you playing the last few minutes.

Also melee combat is still broken and dosen’t register hits properly, so playing the melee stealth class is almost pointless compared to the sniper stealth class.

• RvLeshrac says:

Players move at a snail’s pace, the mouse tracking is horrible, and it uses Source, so you can’t do voice in the game unless you like having explosions covering up what people are saying, or being unable to hear the game because someone is spamming voice.

4. CaspianRoach says:

Awwww, and I thought the puzzler they were going to announce was Q.U.B.E. and not Max Marker or Fractal. :( Would buy the bundle if that was the case…

5. MattM says:

I played Max for a few hours, it didn’t impress. It wasn’t broken or buggy, but none of the puzzles felt that tough or interesting.

• qrter says:

Well, it is a kid’s game.. not saying that excuses uninteresting game design, but it could excuse toughness of puzzlement.

• MondSemmel says:

I got the game in one of the first Humble Bundles and liked it somewhat. But it crashed repeatedly at the same point multiple times, and the same thing happened to my little brother playing on a different computer. At that point, I just gave up on it – I was unable to advance, and game crashes that force you to repeat a level are about the worst thing that could happen. Did anyone manage to complete the game?

6. TomxJ says:

Supercrossfire looks fantastic!

7. Monkeh says:

Thanks for the heads-up RPS! Was thinking about buying Nuclear Dawn during the Steam Sale.. glad I didn’t!

Carra says:

Wow, a bundle where I don’t own any of the games.

That’s a novelty! *Off to by*.

9. Mac says:

My paypal isn’t playing nicely – I click on the buy option, input my email and then when it goes to paypal webby I see the order summary on the right, but no paypal log in details on the right …

oh well … not that fussed in any case!

10. SiHy_ says:

I wish they wouldn’t keep pushing the alpha bundle back. It’s the only one I’m interested in (even though I already own Project Zomboid and Survivors of Ragnarok).

11. Lewie Procter says:

Super Crossfire is rather wonderful.

G-Lord says:

Good to hear. Might try it out this weekend then.

Edit: Played it just before, fun game indeed.

barelyhomosapien says:

It is, and tough too!

It feels rather a novelty to play a (largely) sidescrolling shooter rather then a twinstick.

12. Reality says:

This is the first bundle where I’m not interested in any of the games really (The first one was the best, and also the only one I missed!) They seem to be getting less interesting to me the longer they go on – I hope this is just chance and not a symptom of an emptying barrel.

13. Navagon says:

The Indie Gala bundle ends today too. I was pretty impressed with that one.

I grabbed this one almost entirely for Nuclear Dawn.

14. InternetBatman says:

They probably should have waited another week after Steam sales.

15. coolz says:

Clarification, maybe? The price goes up the more people pay below average.

Of course with low incentive to contribute more and the “average user” approach, the min cost would grow with sales.

Price would be unchanged if everyone went a penny over.

16. deadly.by.design says:

I’m actually interested in a non-HIB bundle. Hmm.

The Bonus Chiptune website should come with a seizure warning, though.

17. zeroskill says:

Oh I’m picking that up, I don’t have any of those. Anybody knows if Max is good? I don’t know the game at all.

18. Stuk says:

Seeing as there are so many, I’ve made a little page to track all these bundles http://stuartk.com/bundle

• DOLBYdigital says:

Thanks Stu!!
      Good idea although is there anyway to hide the bundles that have expired? Or maybe make a view that shows them all and then a view that just shows currently running bundles?

Just some ideas however that is a great help :)

barelyhomosapien says:

It’s worth noting that I think you can download the chiptune album free from the artists website (see below) anyway, so paying extra to get the album alone is not worth it.

20. TheTedinator says:

Do they take American Express? I only see PayPal, MasterCard and Visa as options.

21. MastodonFarm says:

It isn’t really “pay what you want” if there’s a minimum price, is it? I mean, Skyrim has a “minimum price” of $59.99, but I’m sure Bethesda wouldn’t refuse if I wanted to give them more for it.