Vohaul Astral: Space Quest Remake & Sequel

By Adam Smith on January 6th, 2012 at 11:09 am.

Glorious VGA!

Any Space Quest fans out there? A remake and a sequel would like to make your acquaintance. The remake is of Space Quest II and the sequel takes place after Space Quest VI. They were made by different teams but Indiegames.com just made me aware of them both, and the antagonist is the same chap in both. Reason enough to bundle them into one post, I reckon. There’s no voice acting in Vohaul Strikes Back, the sequel, but the team are planning to add it at a later date. Both are free, which may convince me to take a crack at Space Quest II after all these years. Trailers follow.

I am quite taken with those graphics, I must say.

Less so with those, but I am but one horse on my course.

I wish John was here. He’d be able to tell you more about all of this but I think he’s roaming the wilds of the internet, protecting the denizens out there with his mighty pen (actually a keyboard). Here’s what I know about Space Quest – Roger Wilco is a janitor who ends up saving his own skin and possibly the world in a hapless fashion, over and over again. Is that right? I only played the first one and when I reached the desert planet (or was it just a desert on a regular planet that had various biomes?) I swiftly gave up on the trial and error nature of not dehydrating and went elsewhere for my kicks.

Mr Walker reckons the fourth in the series is quite the thing and the amount of unique gags written for useless interactions makes it sound a bit like Ben There, Dan That. No bad thing. Maybe that’s the one I should try.

Right. Free adventure games. Enjoy! There’s a Mac version of the remake incoming and I’m informed it works well through Wine.

, , , , , .

1. lordcooper says:

Worst post!

• sqparadox says:

It might be the worst post for you, but you don’t speak for everyone. Space Quest taught me to read!

I owe it more than any other game series in history. I’ve been watching Infamous Adventures SQ2 remake since it was announced, wonderful to know they’ve finally finished it. And Vohaul Strikes Back? I thought that project was dead years ago, I stopped checking it before even the unofficial SQ7 was killed by Vivendi Universal just before their merger with Activision.

Thank you RPS, you’ve made my day.

• fenriz says:

hah worst post. The post i’ve been waiting for years is the worst post. Thank you.

• lordcooper says:

I was referring to my own post :(

• SiHy_ says:

I see what you did there.

2. Kill_The_Drive says:

Woohoo, this is great. SQ2 is one of my favorite games ever, learned English playing that (and LSL1).

• Tony M says:

I would love to have had a conversation with you in the early days. ME: “Hey Kill_The_Drive, what are you up to?” KTD: “Put head in blender” ME: “What?” KTD: “Eat Pants” ME: “What?”

• Meusli says:

Use mouthwash.

phlebas says:

Key Space Quest fact: Roger Wilco dies a LOT, in many amusing manners, and you should save often.

4. MadTinkerer says:

Now if they’d just make more Quest For Glory games and also put the originals on GoG, then I’d be really happy.

• sqparadox says:

Well there is AGDI’s Quest For Glory 2 VGA remake, but yes, I too find the absence of any modern game resembling Quest For Glory odd. Despite the ongoing effort to keep adventure games “alive” the things that made Quest For Glory unique seem to have been forgotten. Out of all of Sierra’s series, it is this one that I always expected to get ripped off. Yet sadly, no one ever has (at least to my knowledge), and as far as I know all fan projects remain dead.

I also find the lack of QFG on GoG saddening. I find it odd considering all of Sierra’s other major adventure series have made it to GoG and elsewhere. I suspect it may have something to do with the rights to the games as the Quest For Glory series conspicuously absent from boxed re-release that preceded GoG and the other digital re-releases and was the first to package the games with Dosbox. But I fear the only thing we can do is add votes to the games on GoG’s wishlist, as I have.

Andy_Panthro says:

The folks behind the QFG2 remake (and three KQ ones too) are releasing commercial games now, including one that might be similar in some ways to QFG, but I’m not sure how much yet.

5. adonf says:

The SQ2 remake is in the same VGA style as the remake of SQ1 that was done by Sierra in the 1990s. Neat idea!

• sqparadox says:

The idea comes from AGDI (Anonymous Games Developers interactive, formerly Tierra) who remade King’s Quest 1, 2, and 3 as well as Quest For Glory 2 in this style.

The guys at IA and AGDI are well aware of each other (even if they both made remakes of King’s Quest 3), as the community is rather small. AGDI worked on a similar remake of Space Quest 2 years and years ago, long before IA’s remake but they abandoned the project… I still have the demo buried on my hard drives somewhere.

Jackablade says:

One does have to question the sense in advertising ones fancy new graphical overhaul in black and white.

As for the Space Quest, for my money the third game was the pinnacle of the series with the fourth coming a close second. That may just be because I got stuck in SQ4 for the better part of a year without the benefit of the internet and its access to Gamefaqs, which may not have even existed back then. Stupid space slug.

• LionsPhil says:

That trailer taught me three things:
      1) They still think putting everything in faux-early-20th century artifacted showreels is funny, so their senses of humour are broken
      2) They think showing off new graphics in this fashion is useful, so their brains are broken
      3) Their voice acting is atrocious

I’ll stick with my double-wide pixels, EGA pallette, and PCjr four-channel beeps (ScummVM FTW!), ta.

• Blackthorne519 says:

@LionsPhil

That trailer taught me three things:

1. Ha! It’s not faux-early 20th century artifacted showreels – it’s faux-MID twentieth century showreels. The late 1950′s, to be exact. Please do more research into historical eras vis-a-vie parpdy and/or sense of humor!

2. We’re not “showing off” graphics in this way, they’re merely being displayed! My brain isn’t broken, the last seven CT scans I had show otherwise, but I do appreciate your sense of concern for our senses of humor and our brains. It’s good to know there’s people out there who really care.

3. Sorry about our atrocious voice acting. We only had Oreos in the (non-existent) budget for the game, so we had to pay ourselves with cookies in order to do them.

I’ll gladly refund the money you spent on our obviously horrible title! I’ll also send you my old 12mhz XT – it has an 10mb hard-drive and a copy of Scorched Earth, as well as an awesome Packard Bell CGA monitor!

@ Fenriz – rest assured, Roger has diagonal walk-views in our game too. We love ‘em, we need ‘em. They’re in all of our games. We even made new ones that didn’t exist for King Graham in our upcoming title Kingdom of Sorrow!

7. TheBigBookOfTerror says:

It took me nearly 15 years to complete Space Quest 3, purely because it never occured to me to go back and pick up the engine core AGAIN after Roger gets mugged by a giant rat. Once I found that out I went and completed it without any further hints in one night. Why the hell I didn’t look it up on a BBS or “THE INTERNET” once it was invented, I have no idea? It’s what I usually did WITH THE SEQUELS AND EVERY OTHER GAME I GET STUCK ON.

8. fenriz says:

i love the remake except they didn’t show Roger walking diagonally, which is traditionally the best sets of animations. If they showed those i’d be totally sold.

Then there’s the quality of the rooms and finally copying the quality of puzzles, with their penalties or bonus and multiple solutions, but i hope those are done well.