Choplifter HD Next Week, Steve & Duke

By Jim Rossignol on January 7th, 2012 at 12:19 pm.

IneXile’s Choplifter HD was supposed to have turned up in the Autumn of last year, but rather dropped off the radar. Now though they send word that the game will appear on 10th of January for digital download. They explain: “In Choplifter HD, players take control of a variety of helicopters armed with a number of offensive capabilities so they can swoop in and make daring rescues in hot zones. The game features more than 30 missions ranging from straight prisoner extraction to dropping off saboteurs that blow buildings sky high to saving survivors from viral outbreaks. Pilots must bank, hover, touchdown, and sometimes even shake loose pesky zombies hanging from their choppers.” You can also attempt to rescue characters like Duke Nukem and Steve from Minecraft, as you can see in the two bizarre “cameo” videos which I’ve posted below.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. iGark says:

Is there a good voice acting cameo?

2. Blackcompany says:

I don’t mean to be snarky…ok, yes, I do…but here’s an idea for IneXile (no, not a new logo with correct capitalization, though it would not hurt either.)
    How about…you fix your co-op on Hunted. You know, so as it to make, I don’t know…work, maybe? Continuing from checkpoints – as opposed to, you know, the beginning of a level – would make for a nice change. Making the locating of a LAN game something less than an episode of Mission: Impossible would also do nicely.
    Inexile has made it plain that they just don’t do support for existing games. Broken when you buy it? Better plan on it staying that way. Make your peace with the fact, cause waiting on support from these guys is a long wait for a train don’t come, to borrow a really apt line. Far as I am concerned games from this particular dev can stay Inexile until they prove they will support their existing titles.

• neolith says:

I hear you. Hunted’s MP is seriously twisted. I tried to play with a friend three days ago and it took us hours to get that shit running at all. Not fun. How come so many games fail at setting up multiplayer games when all it took for Quake2 ages ago was to punch in a simple IP address?

3. FionaSarah says:

Trying my hardest not to cringe but I don’t think I can hold it back any longer… Argh, there we go, cringe face in full force.

• LionsPhil says:

“Hey look, it’s character X from that thing Y that’s awesome!” is deep, deep into the horrors of fanboy splurging.

Also I love how the video shows Steve’s AI running about in an annoying and stupid fashion rather than getting in. Why work on core game mechanics when you can just drop references?

4. westyfield says:

“Hey look, it’s Steve from Minecraft, The award-winning multi-million copy selling game from independent developer team Mojang!”
    “Phew. For a moment there I thought we weren’t going to make some comment on the juxtaposing visual designs of our two games!”

• MondSemmel says:

From the second video, the game looks nothing like Minecraft. The only place in the game that looks like Minecraft is the Minecraft cameo island thingie. I don’t think the screenshot at the top of this article was particularly well-chosen …

• westyfield says:

I know – the first video shows them flying through a normal area, before suddenly arriving at Minecraft Island. Juxtaposing is taking two things that are very different and putting them together to get an interesting effect, in this case a normal-looking helicopter in a world of one-metre cubes. I was more commenting on the way the pilot spoke in the first video, the “from Minecraft” sounded so horribly unnatural.

5. SiHy_ says:

Is this the reason this game was delayed? Because, I hate to say it, but I don’t think it was worth it.

6. cafe says:

umm… looks fun… I guess

7. TheGameSquid says:

Isn’t a cameo supposed to be, like, slightly less obvious? More like an easter-egg of sorts?

• Superbest says:

I think it’s also supposed to be about a low-key homage rather than riding on the coattails of more popular things to generate easy publicity.

By the way, this is a non-issue for the original film environment of cameos, but I’m not sure if it’s still a cameo when the cameo-ing character does not know and possibly not agree to the cameo. This is more like someone editing in a famous actor without his knowledge.

Granted I did like the silliness. The second one could have actually been a pretty clever easter egg mission, what with subverting the “you must recover the target to win” paradigm, since douk won’t get in.

8. Zeewolf says:

The Minecraft one was kind of funny, I guess.

9. Tams80 says:

“Get to da Choppa!”.

Yet they both refuse/can’t.

I can’t believe no-one quoted that yet.

10. Strangeblades says:

I love this game and I haven’t even played it yet. *hugs*

11. Wooly Wugga Wugga says:

Does anyone remember the old ZX Spectrum game in which you needed to rescue people or drop supplies from your helicopter in an isometric 3D world. The one where there was a hurricane blowing your chopper around?

I miss the days developers didn’t think they needed violence to be entertaining

• Wulf says:

[Authoritative Nerd Glasses: On!]

You’re seemingly mixing up Choplifter with the Strike games (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, et cetera).

Choplifter was a much older affair and was actually 2D side-scrolling and not isometric in any way, also, the more complex scenarios you’re describing also sound like they’re from the Strike games, as the Choplifter that I played was solely about picking up tiny little men and dropping them off elsewhere, in increasingly more disastrous scenarios.

Choplifter
      Desert Strike

So it sounds like you’ve likely mixed up the names of the two games. Which leads one to note: If you’re expecting a remake of a Strike game, you’re going to be disappointed.

[Authoritative Nerd Glasses: Off.]

• David Shute says:

You’re thinking of Cyclone, by Vortex Software, who also made Tornado: Low Level. I think they had a fixation with spinning weather patterns.

12. apa says:

Ha, the Duke one was even better than the MC spoof :)

Scandalon says:

Besides wishing they would just swoop over and crush Duke, I “enjoyed” how the fire was completely not affected by the rotor wash…

MajorManiac says:

I love this kind of game. The risk/reward mechanic is usually very exciting. “Do I wait a little longer” etc…

However these two videos are painfully unflattering. I look forward to a review to see if its going to be ok.