Firefall Devs Dress People In Unlikely Armour

By Jim Rossignol on January 7th, 2012 at 1:02 pm.

Not content with the impressive CG versions of their main characters from multiplayer open-world shooter Firefall, Red 5 Studios have gone a bit overboard on the cosplay and brought in pros to play the parts of a couple of their armoured cartoon soldiers. I don’t think the jetpack actually works, so he won’t be making a Jingle All The Way entrance to PAX or anything. Yes, it’s more than faintly ludicrous, but I couldn’t help playing into the hands of this bizarre promotional strategy: seeing a grown man and woman enthuse about wearing plastic space armour is something we should all witness. As, you know, a warning.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I’d like to see a non bulky little hipster dressed in these rockets…

2. Crainey says:

Very professional, enjoyed these. Shame I can’t share the same enthusiasm any more for the game itself. I’ll still try it though for sure as I loved Global Agenda and Red 5 Studios seem like good guys :)

3. talon03 says:

I never asked for this.

4. buzzmong says:

It’s nice to see a studio going to these lengths, but I can’t help but look at the armour and think its design ruins any sort of disbelief I could have fostered because it has got massive unarmoured bits, like the arms.

• Napalm Sushi says:

So, like real body armour?

• buzzmong says:

@Napalm Sushi

Real body armour doesn’t consist of massively armoured legs and forearms alongside a chest piece.

It’s normally either just chest and head (modern soldier armour) or a full on armour fest (plate).

5. westyfield says:

Nice sculpted boob armour. Better hope you don’t fall over and break your sternum though. Also fingers crossed no-one tries to shoot you in the head, arms, or legs.

Probably relevant: http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

• Droopy The Dog says:

Eh, I always find gaps in armour no more impractical than expecting any kind of rudimentary body armour be effective protection in a sci-fi setting anyway.

Gaps or not, armour won’t really help your chances of survival against weapons that supposedly have the concussive/kinetic power to level buildings.

Not to nit-pick your nit-picking or anything.

• groghog says:

Not sure why you linked to that tumblr, since most of the examples have ‘sculpted boob armour’.
      Unless that was your point? Why do people complain about boobs anyway?

• Radiant says:

Guys; It’s not real.

• westyfield says:

@ Droopy The Dog:
      But the weapons in Firefall can’t level buildings, they’re that usual sci-fi thing of ‘ordinary guns but with screens on so you know it’s the future’, as seen in Aliens, Halo, BF2142 etc., or small handheld laser weapons that have essentially the same effect.

@ groghog:
      I don’t have a problem with boobs, but my issue with armour shaped around them is that a) it provides a neat guide for where to stick a sword/knife as it’ll slide down until it hits the middle and go through into your heart and/or spine (not an issue in Firefall, but it is in most medieval fantasy), and b) if you fall over forwards there’s a real danger of cracking your sternum or ribs because it’ll drive a relatively narrow point into your chest.
      Regarding the Tumblr: Yeah, it does have a lot of shaped armour. Hadn’t checked it in a while, I’m sure there was less of that around there a few months ago. Oh well.

@ Radiant:
      OH SHIIIIII-

• Ultra Superior says:

@Radiant

Hey Max, I played you on my cell phone !

• Schmitzkater says:

I think this link posted in the Sunday papers summed it up best.

• Eddy9000 says:

I don’t know anything about the game, but those suits were really fun. I loved how down to earth the gladiator guy is as well – “I’ve always acted a cartoon”. I’d like to buy him a pint and play some pool with him.

EDIT: wasn’t meant as a reply but I’m leavin it.

• Phantoon says:

I guess the complaint is that the female armor isn’t like Samus’ armor in Metroid, ala having one large armor piece cover that entire section of the torso, because it doesn’t really bend anyways.

And now that I think about it, put me down as complaining too. Armor should be like that, clearly.

• lurkalisk says:

What if, and bear with me here, its purpose isn’t to protect every single part of the user’s body from any harm they might otherwise endure? Or more importantly, what if it’s mostly just to supplement various systems related to jet-packing, and has little intended effect as armour?

There’s a reason modern soldiers don’t don a giant contiguous kevlar carapace and then wobble about a battlefield soaking up enemy fire.

Also, since when is something like this reasonable? – http://wiggers123.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=sith+lord#/d1vzk42
      (Yeah, that’s from the tumblr)

• Optimaximal says:

People shouldn’t complain about boobs… Women have breasts, they really, you know, need to be accommodated.

Complaints should be directed against inappropriate sideboob and gratuitously exposed flesh for sex’s sake.

• jrodman says:

The problem with boobarmor is not that women have boobs, but armor (that is doing its job) is not going to be designed specifically to look like boobs on the outside.

Certainly the problems with boobarmor with say, Kevlar, or similar fiber materials are not as severe as with metal plate (where it fails to offer padding for blow absorption, a guide for blades to your heart, and a danger to breaking your chest if you fall over). However all the fiber/fabric armors we know about are moderately bulky and would not nicely contour to your boobs even if you wanted to show them off in battle.

Obviously there is room for future magic fabricarmor that could show off boobs in combat, but unless games make a half hearted attempt to present an alternate set of social mores around the boob armor (not necessarily to explain the boobarmor itself, but a very different set of mores which are not modern western social mores) then they’re gratuitously out of place and unexplained and weird and gratuitous.

Real boobs have to be accommodated by real women in real life all the time, but they wear bras and shirts where i strangely do not typically see every contour of their boobs. Funny that.

(edit: spelling)

6. Droopy The Dog says:

I like how in the first video where someone’s scuplting the assault costume the wallpaper on the PC in the background is just assault character’s face looking confused.

Even the fictional character it’s based on doesn’t know what to make of it.

7. deadly.by.design says:

Thumbs up if you know everyone skipped to the second video.

Oh, wait…

8. SuperNashwanPower says:

At least two people know how to act “enthusiasm”

9. Schmitzkater says:

In a very logical move the first part is blocked for copyrighted music in Germany, while the second is not.

10. Torgen says:

The header image needs the “male duck face” tag. Dear God…

11. Tams80 says:

Haters gonna hate. Sorry, it was too apt a saying.

I suppose of someone who likes cosplay and is interested in Firefall is almost certain to find those videos interesting anyway. Still, like them. How the armour was created was very interesting and the actors seemed to fit the roles well, even if the roles mainly just comprised looking the part.

You can keep your “the armour is unrealistic” and “sure, that was real enthusiasm” to yourselves.

12. Blackcompany says:

No wonder Lucas hates Commander Taylor. Absolutely no fashion sense. If that’s the armor he wore in Somalia, I can understand Lucas’s issues. Well, some of them, anyway.
    Seriously…the dude in the armor looks like a slightly younger Commander Taylor from Terra Nova. Just sayin.
    Edit: The first Dude, in the picture used for the article. Suddenly realized that ‘the dude in the armor’ in this context was a lot like walking into a law office on a Monday morning and asking for ‘the guy in the suit.’
    End of useless opinion.

13. BirdsUseStars says:

Seriously why is Dirk Manstrong here giving me duckfaces?

Is he in a gears of war themed gay bar?

14. Shuck says:

Oh dear, the armor is very well done and all, but I keep having these terrible Flagship flashbacks. Former Blizzard employees start a hugely ambitious game company that starts spending money on PR-related props like it grows on trees? Then, unsurprisingly, they run out of funds and start laying people off? Yes and yes. (See their wikipedia page: before they even started operation they sent their 100 “dream hires” “a package containing 5 nested art boxes, with an iPod Shuffle containing a personalized message in the center.” That didn’t seem to be very successful, which was just as well as within a couple years they laid off 30 employees as well as shut down an office before Chinese company The9 saved what was left of their bacon.)

• Blackcompany says:

Funny you mention it. This same concern crossed my mind. I hear about Red 5 from time to time. See articles containing the studio name, etc. Every time I hope to see more info about their game, as I am very much looking forward to a large, open world FPS/MMO hybrid.
      Unfortunately, 4 of every 5 times I hear about Red 5 it has to do with something like this. Over the top promos; appearances at conventions with some screens or more words about their game. Unfortunately, the 5th time I hear about them its usually someone talking about how much they would love to play the game. As I would.
      I love stuff like this, I do. Their enthusiasm for the game they are working on is heartening. Even more heartening, however, would be some idea that they are still working on it. As opposed to, you know, building stuff for conventions that pertains to a game that hasn’t come out yet.
      Not knocking the devs. Really I hope they can make Firefall happen. I will eagerly sign up and play when and if they do. But lately I find myself wondering if there is not more ‘if’ than ‘when’ in the wondering.

15. killmachine says:

it’s funny when you are actually in the beta and know what to think about statements made from the big gladiator man at the end of the movie.

16. Mr_Initials says:

When I saw that picture at the top I thought they got the guy from Avatar.

• Blackcompany says:

Stephen Lang. Also plays Taylor on Terra Nova. I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw the picture myself.

17. Jackablade says:

Too much time spent talking to the clothes horses. The art is what we want to see here – show us the what and the how and the why of the construction process.

18. Davie says:

Half a pants? Why half a pants? More ladies like this, please.

Although, from a technical standpoint, those suits are awesome, and I love to see this sort of thing realized no matter how silly it looks.

19. Morlock says:

This morning I have to send a couple of mails to former employers to ask for reference letters. I am ecstatic about this. Then I have to continue to work on a job application, and I can barely contain my enthusiasm. Then I have to call a doctor to have my testicles checked. They look super cool. I am super excited and I can’t wait.

Comment on this story