Shank 2′s Latest Footage Is Boisterous

By Jim Rossignol on January 7th, 2012 at 10:23 am.

You know, the kind of boisterous where people’s corpses are blasted apart by shotgun blasts at point-blank range. The original side-scrolling cartoon violence ‘em up apparently did pretty well, and it’s going to return “early” this year with a bit more polish, and a lot more blood. They’re calling it Shank 2, which seems appropriate. You can see the latest game footage video below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ephaelon says:

Watching that made me daydream of a sidescrolling version of Batman’s combat mechanics.

2. Icarus says:

I’m still astounded by how slick the animation on Shank is. Looks like they added some more depth to the gameplay this time- I enjoyed the first one, but it did get a bit repetitive, so more variety in the move set is a good thing IMO. This looks like a fun time.

3. Shadrach says:

Absolutely loved the art and gamestyle of Shank, but it had some insane difficulty spikes at the end. I like a challenge and all but it was too much for me…

4. Tatourmi says:

Well, for the moment it looks pretty much exactly like the first one. The only new things are: The addition of a score system (Never a fan but hey, why not), the possibility to pounce fatties and the possibility to make a counter move. All the rest was still there.

Shank still stays in my opinion one of the most underrated games of all time, being criticized for repetition and simplicity of the gameplay which frankly wasn’t there. I played through all three campains (Easy, hard and coop) and I discovered new things in all of them. Once you get the hang of it the combo system is just amazingly good.

5. Spengbab says:

Sure, it LOOKS smooth, but does it PLAY smooth?

Having never played the first Shank I wonder how great/terrible the controls are and the ease/difficulty of performing the acrobatics in the above trailer

• Unaco says:

It PLAYS smooth. The original was pretty smooth, had good controls (better with a pad though, really) and didn’t require superhuman speed and coordination to pull off any of the acrobatics and other moves… it wasn’t “press x to do ludicrous things”, required some ‘skill’, but it wasn’t anything ridiculous.

Steam has a demo of the first game, you could check that out to see how smooth it played.

6. Unaco says:

I see they still haven’t taken my advice, made the main character blonde, got rid of his beard, secured the Venture Bros. licence, and called it “Samson! The Swedish Murder Machine”.

• Blackcompany says:

I would play this game. I seriously would.
      Consider this for Shank 3 please?

• Penicillin says:

Yeah, I was just thinking that this game should be called “Brock Samson: The Game”…Cartoon Network should seriously consider hiring these guys to do an official Venture Brothers tie-in :)

• Phantoon says:

That sounds awesome.

I’ve got nothing else to say about that, because it just sounds awesome. I want it.

• Ruffian says:

While indeed that would be the coolest thing ever, I have to say, having played the first game, it’s definitely darker than something out of Venture Bros. Story-wise the game is max payne-esque – though I guess I could see Brock going totally nutso for revenge, if the guild killed his girlfriend or something, or if someone finally took out the Ventures. It definitely wouldn’t be out of character for Brock to hunt them down. Definitely a sweet idea, Kudos Unaco.

7. Blackcompany says:

Going to check out the first Shank demo. If I enjoy it – looks like I will – probably going to buy it from the Humble Bundle, if its still around. Last I saw, Super Meat Boy and Shank were both a part of the bundle.
    Either way, this looks like a fun diversion and something worth checking out. Or at least adding to that ‘holiday backlog.’

8. qrter says:

Hated the first game. There was literally not a single aspect I liked, which is quite a feat of its own, I suppose.

9. Squire says:

I had real issues with the controls and the gameplay in the first one and it looks the same here, I felt it was too clunky and you had to wait for certain animations to play out before it would allow input again, the animation is superb tho and looks even better here, but in every video that I’ve ever seen of someone playing Shank, they always lose health during some clusterfuck moment while killing a large quantity of enemies, ie every screen. As 1st comment says would be so much better with some form of Arkham City’s fully dynamic animation interrupting combat system.

• Phantoon says:

It’s not a 3D game.

Some of us just want to play Golden Axe.

10. cafe says:

Looks exactly like Shank 1. Which is a good and a bad thing at the same time…

11. Orija says:

This is how I imagined Tintin would be in the Hollywood remake.

12. Wreckdum says:

Metal Slug 2012? I loved the first Shank. This looks even more like what I wanted it to be.

• fyro11 says:

Metal Slug over this. Having completed the first, the two things I didn’t like were the anims you were locked in to and the repetitiveness. But I guess that’s a given in a side-scrolling beat ‘em up.

13. InternetBatman says:

I thought Shank was a terrible port, so I’m not excited for this. For one thing, the default keyboard controls were terrible. You can’t just say “for optimal experience use a controller” at the start and then be absolved of horrible keybindings. An even larger issue though, was the fact that the tips didn’t show what keys the function was bound to. They just used icons, which was supremely unhelpful.

14. poisonborz says:

Virtually the same except for the flimsy motion blur? Virtually the same except for the flimsy motion blur.

I kinda hoped for vehicles when that car stopped, but seeing that it took damage from the hits too made me meh. I loved Shank, but it felt a bit too flat. I hope there is MUCH more than this in the sequel.