Pre-Cardboard Children: Consolevania

By Alec Meer on January 9th, 2012 at 4:50 pm.

That's him on the right. Sorry about the Christmas tree.

Rab Florence isn’t just an increasingly renowned TV comedian/writer who also writes an amazing boardgame column for Rock, Paper, Shotgun, you know. From 2004 to 2009, he also used to co-present his own online telly show about videogames, Consolevania. It’s excellent, acerbic, weird and affectionately angry stuff (including to our own Kieron Gillen, aka Kevin Leddins), and it’s just been de-archived to arrive in its entirety on iTunes. For free, like. Obviously the iTunes application is THE DEVIL INCARNATE or at least THE WORST PIECE OF SOFTWARE EVER CREATED (I really do believe that), but if you can deal with that or want to bypass it by downloading directly to your EyeTelephone or EyePad, this is about the easiest way to get hold of the complete run and then save it for digital posterity.

Watch, laugh, wince, cry that Rab doesn’t still do games stuff regularly.

__________________

« | »

, , .

• Starky says:

Thanks for that Blip is clearly a better option that dealing with itunes and all it’s crap.

• Skabooga says:

After being gifted an Apple portable music player, I thought about giving it back when I realized I would be forced to install iTunes to put music onto it. As it stands, I installed it once and moved all the music I could in one fell swoop, and then promptly uninstalled it, but if I ever want to change out tracks . . . I don’t look forward to that day.

So in summary, I too thank you for these links, because they save me from a bit of annoyance.

• Unaco says:

@Skabooga

You don’t NEED iTunes to swap music off and on an iPlayer. Something like FooBar 2000 and the FooDop plugin will suffice.

• Bart Stewart says:

May I just add my own opinion that iTunes on the Personal Computer truly is Satan’s Toejam.

Apple hardware is usually pretty well engineered. But Apple software is and always has been pure essence of despotic evil. iTunes on the PC recapitulates everything that has ever been wrong with Apple.

iTunes insists on using its own interface rules instead of adhering to standard Windows interface behaviors, forcing you to fight with the program instead of using it to accomplish some simple task. Why? As it always has been, the design philosophy of Apple software remains, “Because we’re Apple and we know what’s best for you.”

Or let’s say you plug your iDevice into one of your PC’s USB ports, and Apple doesn’t think you should use that port. In this case, iTunes will inform you not that “That USB port doesn’t supply enough power to your iDevice — please try a different port,” but rather “Error — some file is corrupted. Aborting sync.” (Yes, I’m speaking from enraging personal experience here.) Why such an obscure, frightening, and even misleading message that should never occur in the first place? Because, as it always has been, Apple’s attitude remains, “You are a user and thus incapable of remembering to fill your lungs with air periodically unless reminded to do so. Certainly you are not expected to understand error messages (or use a mouse with more than one button). You might hurt yourself.”

Using iTunes on a PC is equivalent to accomplishing a bowel movement using a rusty razor blade. It can be done, but you may find yourself wondering why it is that Apple hates you so very, very much.

• Thants says:

I use iTunes all the time and I’ve never once had a problem with it.

• bill says:

@Skabooga

As far as i know, MediaMonkey works with i-devices too. Though they just released v4 of MediaMonkey and I haven’t tried it yet. Versions 2 and 3 were great though.

1. Meat Circus says:

This is relevant to my interests.

Which is to say, my plan to make Mr Florence permanently resident in my love-shrine to him.

2. Bobsy says:

Rab. Dump the pies. Rab.

3. AlwaysRight says:

Arsepiece.

I missed this first time around, didn’t meet the lovely mister Florence until ‘The independint charles show’ (still the bravest and best thing ive ever seen microsoft sign off). I formed a fully fledged man crush on him since and simply can’t get enough of his work.

Swadgers.

4. Leman says:

Lets us hold a brief silence for poor Videogaiden, sent out to die by BBC Scotland. Its still somewhat available on youtube.

;_; I saw Ryan on Limmy’s Show. That was a great day.

• Lambchops says:

Ah Videogaiden, best television show about gaming, though an honourable mention of course goes to the venerable Gamesmaster. Granted it didn’t have much competition (Bits is hardly worth mentioning really, even less so if the title was actually Bitz, which is the kind of thing they probably would have done) but it was still bloody excellent.

• President Weasel says:

Videogaiden was The Best Show.
      Their God Hand review is still the Best Review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqB5LUKh8A

5. BooleanBob says:

Cardboard embryos, surely?

6. diamondmx says:

Also worth a listen, and also dead is the podcast “Stage Clear”. Damn Rob Fahey for fecking off to Japan.

7. Dreamhacker says:

Itunes… aaaaaaaargh!

Apple’s ingenious design reshaped three whole industries, but for some reason, they COMPLETELY forgot about making Itunes user friendly! Madness!

8. Bhazor says:

Can’t you just download it from the website? Or does everything on an iWank need to be downloaded through iTunes?

Consolevania was never televised, the TV version was called Videogaiden. The last series of Videogaiden is also available from the BBC website. For me the Christmas special is probably their finest moment.

9. Nero says:

I really loved this show and I still have all the episodes saved. Some of my favorites reviews are for Oblivion and 7 Sins. Very funny stuff.

10. Trillby says:

By far, my favourite show, on any medium, ever. Although I totally understand and appreciate Rab’s reasons for not wanting to do it anymore, I weep a little every day – just before bedtime – that it’s no longer around.

11. Tom Walker says:

I’m more of a Ryan man, myself.

12. iviv says:

I do approve of the shirt he’s wearing there.
    Bang bang!

13. obvioustroll says:

Florence and the Machinima

14. Maxheadroom says:

I still miss this.
    The Sherlock Holmes review was among the best:

15. Kikimaru024 says:

Gotta say this:

TEAAAMM!!

16. Akirasfriend says:

Consolevania was a big part of my life for years. I love it when RPS remind people about it.
    Mr. Robert and Mr. Ryan are almost unique for me in that I actually believed and agreed with pretty much everything they had to say in their critiques. I really do hope that one day, they’ll put their heads together on something. I don’t care what it’s about. It doesn’t even have to be videogames.

PS: I wonder what Rydo’s up to these days?

17. michailnenkov says:

why the hate on itunes? it’s just a bad pc port, aren’t you pc-users used to that?

18. Lacobus says:

I’ve never really understood the iTunes hate either. It’s organisation of my music collection is sublime. It is fairly rigid, but once you acquiese to its foibles a truly brilliant UI shines through. Smart playlists, the column browser, every piece of info you could want about a song from play count to skip count, date added to bit rate.

I loves it.

19. cytokindness says:

If you copy the following link into any podcast reader, you can get a direct feed of the episodes for download.

If I were to start watching the series, which would be the best episode to watch as a sampler?

20. Andrew Dunn says:

Series 2 episode 1 should give you a pretty good idea of whether you’ll like the rest of the series, if you don’t want to start with the very first episode.

Comment on this story