Ghost Recon Future Soldier On PC After All

By Alec Meer on January 10th, 2012 at 4:59 pm.

Oh good, I was worried we'd run out of games about soldiers

First it was happening and then it wasn’t cos of mad piracy paranoia and there was a bunch of shouting and it was horrible and now it is happening again! Sometimes having a moan really does work, though it is better to moan politely and with words that don’t mostly begin with ‘f’.

In May, the latest reboot of the venerable Ghost Recon series is due – but the bad news is that it’s only on Xbox and PS3 (which is a two-month delay for those guys) at that point. All we get in terms of PC info is “at a later date”, but while woolly and irritatingly in keeping with Ubi’s PC release schedule trend of late, it’s a big fat improvement from “never,” innit? No word on ohgoddoIhaveto DRM as yet, I’m afraid.

And don’t worry, I’m not having a senior moment here: this is in addition to the surprisingly meaty free-to-play multiplayer game, Ghost Recon Online. Look, here’s a man corroborating my wild claim:

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. sneetch says:

I presume when it does show up they’ll just throw it at us, say “here! Take the fucking thing!” and storm off.

I’ll keep an eye out for it, I’m still interested in it for some co-opy fun!

• D3kard says:

Im glad Ubisoft chose to port this one also. Im more interested in a singleplayer tactic campaign, then a semi-tactic online shooter.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

Yep and when it bombs they can blame piracy!

• Metaphorazine says:

And it will bomb, I’m sure. There can’t be many gamers (other than Khemm, obviously) who aren’t well and truly sick of Ubisoft’s continued insults in the form of broken game after broken game, riddled with DRM that stops just short of proctology, release dates that amount to “Whenever we could be bothered throwing our leavings to the peons”, and stating over and over again that they would treat us better, but we’re all pirates after all…

Personally, I’m just not interested in buying ANYTHING from Ubisoft anymore. They’ve shown they can’t be trusted to deliver a product that I would enjoy playing.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Well I don’t want it now anyway.

• Astalnar says:

They sure have shitty attitude toward us, calling us pirates and what-not.

• Suits says:

Does this guy really work for Ubi, he’s not complaining or talking in native pirate when he mentions PC.

• max pain says:

D3kard: Don’t expect too much tactics, it’ made primarily for consoletoys.

2. Syra says:

Are we not all done with ubisoft’s pc ports by now?

• Khemm says:

What do you mean? All Ubi PC ports are stellar and last year, they provided the best PC exclusive lineup of all publishers.
      But for some people, that’s not enough because they have nothing better to do than bitch bitch bitch and get “cool points” for hating on Ubi, because it’s TRENDY!

Edit:
      OK, not ALL, but most. It’s hard to find a publisher which doesn’t have at least one port which could be better…

• woodsey says:

I can’t tell if that reply is serious or not. I mean, the points made are ludicrous but you seem awfully serious.

@woodsey
      Prove me wrong with actual arguments instead of “your post is LOL-worthy”.

• Unaco says:

@Khemm…

From Dust: control/mouse issues I seem to recall, lack of resolutions in Windowed mode, capped frame rate, no AA. All evidence of a shoddy port. Also, misleading statements (lies) about DRM.

Stanislav Mettra and his comments about PC gamers last November.

Still using their always online DRM in PC titles… for example, Settlers 7.

Delaying the PC release of games with no explanation.

All in all, hardly stellar treatment of the PC audience/market/community.

• zeroskill says:

As usual I agree with Klemm, “From Dust” was a particularly strong and dedicated PC port. /facepalm

• yrro says:

@Khemm: the PC ports of GRAW and GRAW2 were far from stellar–they were utterly unplayable. If I’d paid full price for them at release I’d have insisted on a refund. Ubisoft’s more recent efforts have been better, however.

• Khemm says:

From Dust? THAT’S IT?!!! Perfectly playable game with a few issues due to a rushed release, I’ve seen many PC only games launching in a worse state, ffs. What about AC series, which I don’t recall anyone having any problems with? Was AC2 broken? Was Brotherhood broken? Was Revelations broken?
      Hell, Bethesda released a shoddy console port called Skyrim which didn’t have proper mouse support, had a console UI, lack of proper optimization, the list goes on. I don’t recall any of you frothing at your mouths. Oh I see, it wasn’t published by Ubi. All sins forgiven!

Settlers 7 being pretty much the only remaining game with always-online DRM left is hardly an example of “poor support”.

Delaying PC releases? How many publishers aren’t guilty of that sin, hmm? Ubi released a few PC exclusive games which other publishers couldn’t be arsed to do, but that of course you don’t care about. Typical for haters.

• Unaco says:

@Khemm

You said, and I’ll quote you here, you said…

All Ubi PC ports are stellar

“From Dust” being a shoddy PC port (which also had the Ubi-DRM, as well as Settlers 7) invalidates this statement. So yes, From Dust. That’s it. That is all. That’s one port that was not stellar.

• SipNico says:

@Khemm
      Riiiiiiiiight, there was absolutely no bitching about Skyrim’s interface…

@Unaco
      You’re now getting desperate. “You wrote this ONE word and we’ve proven you wrong,HAR HAR!!”

@SipNico
      “Riiiiiiiiight, there was absolutely no bitching about Skyrim’s interface…
      For the love of God Khemm, at least defend your fragile argument with real facts…”

Listen, Nico. I demand that all companies be treated equally.
      Whenever an article on Beth shows up, it’s hard to find the RPS staff and dozens of visitors posting stuff like “ugh… Betesda again and their shoddy ports”. Yet when it’s Ubi, even Alec HAD to make a stingy comment.
      Double standards much?

• diamondmx says:

It’s 18:12 people, I’m calling it.
      This man is a troll, and he’s marked DNR.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@Syra

I know, right. Almost every bloody release has problems and poor UI. I can’t remember the last time I played a Splinter Cell game that didn’t run like an poorly optimized piece of shit for the first few months after release (oh wait, yes I can, the very first game).

Assassin’s Creed 2 was a nightmare.

From Dust was a cock slap to the face.

Did anyone try Devil May Cry on PC?! Oh lord! It was worse than the Persia ports.

Ubisoft and poorly optimized pc ports go hand in hand.

Now when this game releases and then fails on PC, the company can blame piracy instead of the quality of the port and the fact that nobody gives a shit about Ghost Recon anymore. Poor Ghost Recon, you used to be cool!

@Khemm

I’ve never seen a PC gamer who is a fanboy for Ubisoft.

That’s awesome! I respect your uniqueness.

• Starchy says:

@Khemm: From Dust was hardly a “Perfectly playable game with a few issues”. Is that why Steam had to offer refunds shortly after release? Low frame rate cap, missing anti-aliasing options, limiting resolutions, bugs galore… Seems Ubi couldn’t decide which intrusive DRM to unleash on paying customers this time. GRAW & GRAW 2 were some of the most disgraceful PC ports to date, far from a stellar catalogue of releases. I have been a long time lover of the Splinter Cell series and early Ghost Recon titles so I’m not all death-to-Ubi but they sure make it hard for people like me..

• Unaco says:

Yes Khemm. I have given one example and proven you wrong.

You claim that all Ubi PC ports are stellar.
      Or… “All X are Y”. Where X = Ubi PC port, and Y = stellar.
      I then gave an example of one X that was not Y. This contradicts your claim.
      Therefore, the original statement by you, “All X are Y”, is invalidated, as there is one X which is not Y.
      It’s not desperate. It’s logic.

• SipNico says:

@Khemm
      Actually, what most people complain about in a Skyrim post is the fact that it’s suffered from consolization… there are compaints about the game itself, but in a much smaller scale, if you ask me… However, Bethesda itself doesn’t get as much heat because Skyrim is one game, with one specific problem.

Ubisoft, on the other hand, has been criticized because of the DRM which affects most of their games, not only one…

They are 2 complete different situations, if you ask me.

• Khemm says:

I love it when people still talk about games/ports from half a decade ago and try to argue using them as examples.
      Oh well, Valve is known for shoddy, broken games and equally shoddy infrastructure. I’ve learned my lesson buying HL2 back in 2004. NEVAR AGAIN.

Edit:
      Actually, play Valve’s “please don’t turn off your console” port Portal 2, which has a giagantic thread on Steam full of people who claim it’s one of the most broken games they’ve played.

@SipNico

Ubi’s latest games seem to have dropped the infamous DRM so can we please stop acting as if that’s still an issue? If GR Future Soldier uses it, then I promise I’ll start complaining with all of you.

• Brun says:

@Khemm:

Why so desperate to sway people to the Ubi camp?

@Brun
      It’s beyond moronic.

• SipNico says:

HoMMVI: Released less than 3 months ago… always on DRM. ‘Nuff said.

Not really :P, here is a quote from Wikipedia of the game’s reception:

“Initially, the game was plagued with numerous in-game crashes, lock-ups, errors, “bugs”, poor Artificial Intelligence, significant faction/hero/creature imbalance and abusive DRM. As of January 2012, the game has been updated with several patches, bringing the version to 1.2.1. Despite the updates, the list of outstanding defects remains extensive. As a result, there is a considerable and persistent backlash from the customers directed at Ubisoft and Black Hole Entertainment.

“Was Oblivion any different? Was Failout 3 any different? No, they weren’t. Same story as with Skyrim.”

Even though I disagree with the mention of Fallout 3, that’s only 3 games.

Now, let’s see:

From Dust (maybe it was fixed after launch, but using that logic, most of the games you mentioned were fixed too)
      Assassin’s Creed 2
      Driver: San Francisco
      MMH VI
      Silent Hunter 5
      The Settlers 7

I’m pretty sure that’s most AAA games released by Ubi during the last 2 years for PC (some exceptions being AssBro and AssRev, and Anno 2070).

• nem8 says:

Yes, Anno2070 does not have always online DRM, but its still plagued by issues.

Note this is not because of porting (to my knowledge it doesnt exist on consoles) but it still means that numerous users have problems running it. (I dont , fortunately)

• Brun says:

@Khemm:

I was really asking why you cared. People have different opinions on issues all the time.

Personally I’m not the kind of person to boycott a company’s games outright. No matter who they are, if they make decent games that I want to play (and nobody else makes a suitable alternative), I’ll usually buy. Unfortunately for Ubi, they don’t really make any games that I want to play – the last series that I really liked from them was Assassin’s Creed and I lost interest in that when it became clear that they were going to turn it into a formulaic annual-release franchise.

Ubi’s branding of anyone who chooses to use The Superior Platform as criminals and pirates is demonstrative of an extreme level of arrogance and is the main reason that I won’t buy from them unless they really make something worth buying. It’s the same reason I don’t like Apple products – their treatment of their customers (“just hold your phone with your other hand!”) makes them seem arrogant. Fortunately for me, there exists a suitable alternative to Apple (Android) that I’m more than happy to support.

@SipNico
      HOMM VI DOES NOT HAVE ALWAYS ONLINE DRM, for the last time…

It does have a few bugs because such games are COMPLEX, but most issues have been fixed. Seriously, the beloved Civ IV and most strategy classics were a mess on release too, can we stop dwelling on the past and look at what PATCHED games offer?

• Eclipse says:

@Khemm stellar like From Dust?

@Eclipse
      WTF is everyone’s obsession with From Dust? Play Anno instead.

• DK says:

“What about AC series, which I don’t recall anyone having any problems with? Was AC2 broken? Was Brotherhood broken? Was Revelations broken?”

Yes, yes and yes. And that’s in addition to come out months too late, and with atrocious DRM.

• Springy says:

Hey guys, scary argument here, just wanted to drop in to point out that GRAW and GRAW2 PC weren’t ports, they were separately developed FPS games made by GRIN, whereas the console GRAWs were TPS games made by Ubisoft Paris.

• Kadayi says:

For once I’m kind of with Khemm tbh. Also Valve never offered refunds on From Dust initially. That was some disingenuous bullshit made up by a blogger (all he did was link to the Steam support page in reality) that John ‘issues’ Walker posted up without remotely fact checking (because he just takes whatever gets slammed up on Reddit as gospel it seems) and because RPS syndicates to Steam it went up on the From Dust news page and internet man babies everywhere instantly got all hot and bothered because they weren’t getting the refunds they were promised because ‘Ubisoft deliberately lied about DRM’ (since removed) that Ubisoft then gave Valve the go ahead to refund people butt hurt the most due to their bruised sensibilities, and righteous indignation that if their internet connections had gone down they might have been in trouble (not that they were, just that they might have been).

• diamondmx says:

Kadayi, those people deserved a refund because Ubisoft deliberately (or very very stupidly) misinformed people prior to purchase about a core fact of the game that would have changed many people’s opinion on the game. That’s before you consider the fact that the game was a very poor port to begin with.
      Simply, Ubisoft missold it, and a refund is a basic right in that circumstance.

Portraying legitimate upset customers asking for the same refund that would apply for anything except PC software as ‘butt hurt’ is disingenuous at best, and devalues your argument.

• slick_101 says:

Now Now children

• Kadayi says:

@diamondmx

It’s not an argument, it’s an account of how things went down in reality. Also call my cynical, but knowing how competent companies generally are I’m far less inclined to believe that Ubisoft deliberately ‘lied’ as if they were some single minded omniscient entity (because after all they’d have gotten away with it if it weren’t for those pesky internet kids) Vs a multi-national organisation with 1700 staff straddling several global offices and more inclined to believe it was a case of internal mis-communication over what DRM system they were going be using. As it was they patched out the DRM in fairly short notice. So yeah I think ‘butt hurt internet man babies’ is perfectly appropriate. To err is human, to forgive is divine.

• DrGonzo says:

Whether they lied or not doesn’t matter. They said the game was one thing, it was another. A refund is perfectly acceptable. Don’t see what the issue is there Kadayi.

• Kadayi says:

“They said the game was one thing, it was another.”

What it turned out to be an FPS instead of a god game you mean? IIRC it was marketed as a god game and turned out to be a god game, and is still in fact a god game.

• jjujubird says:

New user here, figured I’d throw my limited knowledge of Ubisoft into the pot. Somewhat wall of text-y but it concerns their butchery of one of my favorite series.

Ever since Ubi got the rights to the Heroes of Might and Magic series (one of my favorites) it’s been a rollercoaster of quality, although mostly crappiness. The most recent installment has a perma-online DRM feature and has no AA support (this is for a PC-only game, not a port, mind you!). If you’re playing a game and the “conflux” (the online DRM) disconnects for some reason, you lose whatever progress you had since the last save and get booted to the main menu with no chance to save. It shipped a few months ago and there is still no way to play user-made maps in multiplayer except through hotseat (lolol). The existing Heroes MP community is pretty small yet diverse (players from all over the world) yet they separated players onto different servers per country/region so there is no way for players from diff countries to play each other (no tcp/ip support), therefore MP is basically dead. Also there are reports of lots of crashing and the like during MP games. The sad thing is, the game itself is pretty good, just terribly, terribly optimized (it runs like shit), terribly supported, etc. etc.

Now some of this may fall on the shoulders of the developer instead of Ubisoft (the publisher), but certainly the annoying DRM is Ubi at least. Somewhat fitting that the developer’s name is “Black Hole” since the game series is going into one.

edit: just now saw the reply a few posts above stating that the HOMM DRM isn’t perma. That is technically true, but you don’t get the benefits of the bonuses (which require the DRM to be on) if you turn it off. And MP is still a mess either way.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@Khemm

“I’m not desperate to convert anyone, I just can’t understand why people can’t acknowledge that Ubisoft did at least SOME things right. Anno 2070 is a brilliant game which some fanboys will never touch, because GASP IT’S PUBLISHED BY UBI /GASP.”

Wait, so if people dislike Ubi and their terrible track record for PC games they are fanboys? That doesn’t even make sense.

You, by definition, are a fanboy. You are incapable of acknowledging poor ports and bad games in Ubi’s lineup. You highlight it’s rare good games and ignore the terrible games. That’s being a fanboy! :)

• Ruffian says:

@Khemm
      This guy! I don’t see how you could even begin to compare skyrim to any of ubisoft’s games. Skyrim is probably 10x bigger in scale than all three of the latest AC games combined. And it allows you to do more than run and stab to boot! Also, it’s our right as gamers in free countries to complain our asses off at whomever we please. I’m sorry you’re sore that the majority of pc gamers are sore at ubisoft, but they obviously need to do a few things differently in regards to their pc audience, or else it wouldn’t be the general consensus that they’re doing us dirty. So yeah maybe there are alot of people jumping on the “I hate ubisoft” bandwagon, but the bandwagon’s there for a reason/reasons.

• Suits says:

Well participating in this dicussion seems the popular thing to do. Let me just say that Ubisoft owns a few franchises that i hold dear.
      Now, the first thing I was dissapointed in, was the lack of Rayman Origins on PC last year. Such a shame they decided to discontinue releasing the main series on there.
      I’d like to present you Splinter Cell: Double Agent as one of the most broken ports i have ever played. It included crashing when saving or loading on particular parts of the single player campaign (even auto-saves). Bonus gadgets weren’t useable. No sound on some missions. Selecting things in menu wouldn’t work most of the times. The inventory was horrendous. If I wasn’t a fan of the series, there was no way I would’ve stuck through it. All the other Splinter Cell games themselves had no issues for me on the other hand.
      As for AC2 and Conviction, yes the DRM. Why did they have to go and put it in there? =| Once it was made more flexible there was no problem at all. But by then the damage was done and in my country the two games have very low retail value now sadly. AC2 still worked great when they allowed you to actually play it and nicely ported.

• MasterDex says:

@Khemm: Not even most. You can’t have played many UBi PC games if you think they even verge on stellar. 995 of Ubi’s PC ports over the last few years have been just thrown out, being buggy and rarely see patching to an acceptable standard. You can say people are being bitches but I say you’re just blinding yourself to the reality.

• TheEggplant says:

No mention of Call of Juarez the Cartel or Forgotten Sands? I don’t see how quality and Ubisoft can be mentioned in the same sentence.

• ahoymatey says:

@Khemm
      How about the fact that Ubisoft refused to patch Silent Hunter 4 to 1.3 until they were bombarded with phone calls and emails? Even then, players had to use unofficial patches to improve stability, because Ubisoft abandoned the game after 1.4. Don’t even get me started on Silent Hunter 3 and 5.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover is also notable for being a bug-ridden mess. Frequent slowdowns, low fps even with powerful hardware, and no multicore support are just a few issues that people have encountered.

Just because they get it right once in a while doesn’t invalidate the numerous times they’ve gotten it wrong. For every Anno 2070 and Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, both of which are perfectly playable, there are dozens of other games made by Ubisoft that don’t hold up. Worse, they ignore their forums almost completely and their support department is hardly helpful. To add insult to injury, they blame PC gamers for poor sales and call them out for “bitching” when the fault lies primarily with Ubisoft. I don’t know how anyone can defend a company that is so transparently antagonistic towards PC. As much as I love some of their franchises, particularly Anno, I can’t support a company that gladly takes my money and, in return, offers me a subpar product and ignores me when I have a legitimate complaint.

Sometimes, I wonder if they even have a QA department; if they do, they suck at their job. Most of the bugs they missed would have been caught at my office early on. I don’t even bother to pirate their games. What’s the point? It probably runs like shit anyway, DRM or no DRM.

3. Khemm says:

Ubisoft hasn’t used the always-online DRM in their PC titles over a year now. Sure, you get access to Uplay achievements and some additional content if you decide to connect, but you can play offline.

• diamondmx says:

Remind me, when was From Dust again?

Oh right,

Microsoft Windows
      August 17, 2011

• Khemm says:

From Dust requires an internet connection for a second while launching the game. Dumb, but technically, it’s still playable offline after that. Get your facts straight.
      Or play other Ubi games.

• sneetch says:

Not wanting to be nit picky but technicalities aside if you have to be online in order to be able to play offline then it’s not really playable offline. :)

If your internet connection is down you can’t start your game, therefore you can’t play it offline.
      If their servers are down you can’t start your game, therefore you can’t play it offline.

It’s very similar to the problem some people have with Steam (although it’s worked for me, no problems): you have to be online before you can go offline.

• Delusibeta says:

Also Driver: San Fran, which was released on 30th September. If their servers are down (which apparently is a fairly regular occurance recently) you can’t play.

• diamondmx says:

Yeah, that and it saves to a cloud, and only to a cloud, making it impossible to quit the game without an internet connection. I am quite familiar with the facts.

It was also promised to have a single-verification DRM prior to release (a lie), followed by post-release promises to remove the not-quite-always-on DRM they had implemented (also a lie).

If there’s anyone frothing here, it’s probably you, mate. I am quite happy with my choice to not purchase Ubisoft products, regardless of how interesting they might be (or what system they’re on). I am not under any great illusion that my individual choice will have any effect on the company, but I’ve noticed that there are a few more gamers similarly unhappy with Ubisoft’s attitude.

As for playing other Ubi games? I’ve got much better games to be playing, thanks.

@sneetch
      “If your internet connection is down you can’t start your game.
      If their servers are down you can’t start your game.”

Sounds like Steam, nice! That will prevent you from even installing your game in the first place.
      And before you say it – Steam’s offline mode is a joke.

• Bostec says:

Don’t worry about Khemm, hes a stone cold Ubisoft sucking, GFWL arsebanging Troll King. Ignore with extreme prejudice.

• sneetch says:

@Khemm

That’s what I said, mind you I added that in an edit so you might have not have seen it. Regardless it still doesn’t change the fact that you can’t start and play those Ubisoft games offline and that’s the point.

Mind you, Steam has always gone offline for me flawlessly.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Its actually extremely clever reverse psychology. Khemm is simply ACTING like a hysterical git in his support of Ubisoft, so that everyone thinks “everyone who likes Ubisoft is a hysterical git”. What a clever chap.

• SipNico says:

HoMMVI: Released less than 3 months ago… always on DRM. ‘Nuff said.

@Nico
      ‘Nuff said my fuzzy three letters.

• DrGonzo says:

Steam doesn’t allow you to install offline no. But you can play as much as you want offline and not use the cloud storage. It’s a ridiculous comparison. Yes, Steam has flaws but it has nothing to do with this argument or Ubisoft.

Defending one thing by saying something else does it is ridiculous too.

• Suits says:

@DrGonzo “Defending one thing by saying something else does it is ridiculous too.”
      Yup, in fact it’s considered a falacy, which is invalid as an argument.

• rayne117 says:

“NO, it doesn’t. You can play 100% offline, connecting gives you some bonuses to reward you. That’s it.
      ‘Nuff said my fuzzy three letters.”

Wow, thanks for deciding for me how Steam works for me! It’s like I really thought offline mode DID work, but not you’ve said it doesn’t work for me, I guess it doesn’t.

4. crawl says:

Source? Was this a press release? EDIT: didnt see the vid at first

5. coldvvvave says:

Anyone else first read it as “Ubisoft comedy”?

6. Dana says:

I dont want it anymore.

7. woodsey says:

Meh, no thanks.

8. drunkenrebel says:

The Ghost Recon series hasn’t been worth a crap since it left the PC the first time. Even GRAW was a mess on PC. The Tom Clancy name has lost all of its luster for me. It’s like I’m some super-conservative evangelical Christian and my son has moved away from home to become an atheist homosexual. While he was away, he did embarrassing things that shamed my family name and publicly criticized my way of life.

Now he wants to come back? And he thinks we’ll be happy to see him?

• Khemm says:

The only good Ghost Recon was the first one, agree. Same for Rainbow Six, Raven Shield was the last entry in the series worth being obsessed over.

• piratmonkey says:

Vegas was pretty fun. I like rappelling through windows.

• mondomau says:

Disagree, Vegas 2 was awesome.

• sneetch says:

Yeah, dunno why the lowered the number of players who could play co-op in Vegas 2 though… I assume it was due to a limitation in the engine after they boosted the graphics.

• lowprices says:

@drunkenrebel

Wait, I’m confused. So you’re saying that we should pity Ubisoft because you’re a bigot that clings to an outdated, intolerant ideology, unable to accept those that are different?

An interesting view, because I always assumed Ubisoft were supposed to be the bad guys in all this.

• piratmonkey says:

I thought co op was still 4 people across both? I only have console experience but we always played 4 on terrorist hunt, THE BEST MODE.

• Blackcompany says:

Just chiming in to say that this is perhaps the greatest – and funniest – metaphor for a dev leaving and then returning to PC that I have ever seen.
      Gods help Epic games when they come back, after the Gears series. I will be here for the matephorical comparison, to be sure.

• alseT says:

Ahahahahha you guys are the best.

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

@lowprices
      Err… he/she was joking; hope you were too?

• lowprices says:

Yes. Yes I was being deadly serious when responding to his jokey comment about a developer making a PC game after alienating PC gamers. As serious as I am being now. As serious as I always am.

Seriously? I just thought it was funny that his simile placed him in the ‘bad-guy’ role.

Also, I think I just used up my yearly allowance of the word ‘serious’.

9. skyturnedred says:

Good news, Future Soldier looked quite fun to me. Also, I have no problem with Ubisoft.

• Khemm says:

Common sense on RPS? Where people fap to Newell, Steam DRM and hate everything else? How dare you!

• mondomau says:

Khemm, calm down mate.

• SipNico says:

So…
      Not buying a game from a company which won’t let you play it whenever/wherever you want, and that has constantly proved their contempt for the PC market is having a lack of common sense?

Well then, I’m happy being a lunatic :)

skyturnedred: That’s not to say I have a problem with someone who looks forward to the game ;)

• Khemm says:

“Not buying a game from a company which won’t let you play it whenever/wherever you want,”

Which company? I can play Anno 1404/2070 and HoMMVI whenever/wherever I want, so it can’t be Ubisoft.
      You mean Valve? Because I sure as hell couldn’t play, pardon, even INSTALL my retail Shogun 2 copy a while ago.

“and that has constantly proved their contempt for the PC market”

“is having a lack of common sense?
      Well then, I’m happy being a lunatic :)”

You’ll eventually grow up, don’t worry.

• Goomich says:

No, Khemm, by persuading every one that we are thiefs.
      I might even belive them, now where’s that torrent?

• SipNico says:

HoMMVI? Really? OK, turn your router/modem off and tell me how it goes ;)

“By releasing PC versions and even PC exclusives last year? I love it when companies show us contempt like that, more please.”

I don’t care how many exclusives they released, they all shared the same problem: I couldn’t play them because of the area I live in (Argentina, in case you wonder) and my shoddy Internet connection.
      I would rather if they decided to release a multi-platform title and the PC version didn’t include that ridiculous DRM, and was a decent port.

“You’ll eventually grow up, don’t worry.”
      Just turned 16, but I decided to be Peter Pan, so I’m really sad my last birthday was 5 days ago :/

@Nico
      Wait, since when do Anno 2070 or HoMMVI require always online connection? They’re not “be online the moment you click the exe”, they’re “activate once, go offline after that and don’t worry”.
      Are we talking about the same games here?

Btw, the aformentioned games are region restricted? Really?

• SipNico says:

@Khemm
      I was referring to MMH VI which, if I remember correctly, was only playable offline by adding a command line, and even then the game would be harder because you wouldn’t get some items…

And BTW, that is only one of the six games I mentioned to you.

“Btw, the aformentioned games are region restricted? Really?”

Nope, but they were impossible to play without a stable Internet, which I lack. But you already know that, don’t you? You’re just missing the point on purpose.

10. GrandmaFunk says:

Nope, never again Ubisoft. You told us to fuck off, so we did, along with our money.

Who’s WE?

• GrandmaFunk says:

PC gamers fed up with UB’s attitudes towards us

• piratmonkey says:

Er…PC gamers seem to want Ubisoft titles.

• 1R0N_W00K13 says:

Does Khemm work for Ubisoft or something?

• Unaco says:

That’s cool Khemm. Just so you know, we’re playing some pretty cool games on Steam, chatting in the Steam RPS Group Chat room, sharing screenshots in the Steam community functions, and trading with our Steam inventories. Instead of bitching, that is.

Can I (on behalf of most of the RPS community) ask you, on the next article about Steam, or a game on Steam, to keep playing your Ubi games, and not bother to come in and bitch about Steam in the article comments?

@Unaco
      Thank you for your display of Valve-cocksuckery, typical for so many Gabe fanboys.

• Unaco says:

Really Khemm, do you have to start using profanity and insults? Keep it civil, please.

I was merely trying to show that, just as you consider Ubi a benefit and positive part of the PC community and see a lot of ‘bitching’ here about them… many of us consider Steam and Valve a positive part of PC gaming, and see you repeatedly ‘bitching’ about them. You see ‘bitching’ about Ubi as unjustified, but see ‘bitching’ about Steam as perfectly justified. There seems to be a disconnect there.

@Unaco
      Wasn’t trying to be mean and no, I don’t consider either Valve or Ubi some kind of saviours of PC gaming, I’m just fed up with people who haven’t even played some of the latest Ubi offerings jumping on the “hate hate hate” bandwagon. They’re making themselves look uninformed, almost downright stupid.

• GrandmaFunk says:

“Khemm says:
      01/10/2012 at 18:05

No, I’m just playing some great games published by Ubi instead of bitching on forums.”

that would be more believable if you didn’t have 20+ posts in this thread.

• ffordesoon says:

If calling people “cocksuckers” for not bowing down to your (utterly bizarre and ridiculous, FYI) opinion is you not trying to be mean, Khemm, I’d hate to see you actually try.

@ffordesoon
      I’m fed up with Steam fanboyism, as if that service didn’t have any glaring flaws. You should really start visiting other forums, especially non-English ones.

• Brun says:

What the hell is the point of visiting a non-English forum if you only speak English and Ancient Latin?

• vecordae says:

To appease Khemm. This is an important duty that we all share.

• spleendamage says:

I’ve skipped several Ubi games I wanted to play, notably Anno 2070 and Settlers 7, due to a customer service dispute I had with them over the number of reinstalls I had of my copy of Rainbow 6 Vegas.

That was quite some time ago, but : fool me once.

• ffordesoon says:

@Khemm:

Oh, I see. So it’s okay and not mean or offensive or vaguely homophobic to call people “cocksuckers” if they happen to like anything you don’t approve of. Excuse me.

11. Milky1985 says:

You mean the ohgoddoihaveto DRM that was down for part of hte weekend, making games unplayable?

12. netizensmith says:

I always manage to break Ubisoft games in about 5 minutes. I don’t play the game the way they want me to and it breaks so I’ll give this a miss. Good news for those that want it though.

13. magnus says:

‘F’ words? Ferule, Fortisimo, Frangipane, Foetoscope, Farraginous ? They didn’t help.

OMG, you don’t mean that one my Mother tells me never to say?! :O

14. mondomau says:

Cautiously looking forward to this.

15. SecCom says:

Why would you even want this thing on the PC? When Ubisoft does PC horrible, horrible things happen.

16. nothingfaced says:

Right.. Brilliant… There’s nae a hope in my dirty uncle Rons sock drawer that I’ll be buying this. I’ve been done by Ubisoft too many times now…

17. Walter Heisenberg says:

All I want is Rayman Origins is that too much to ask Ubi?

18. Paul says:

Actually, this is new – nice guy announcing PC version of their game – now I hope it will be good version and without always on DRM – if that happens, maybe someone with sense finally got in charge?

It would be officially fantastically great if Ubisoft became GREAT company again.

19. Dakia says:

Ubisoft . . . . .

I don’t believe anything they say anymore until it actually happens.

20. Mordja says:

Happy to hear this news, never had issue with Ubi’s DRM, few issues with slap dash ports but all their top titles do have care and attention put into the PC ports.

21. PoulWrist says:

Yay :)

22. akeso says:

Man, too bad they already called me a career criminal by default and alienated me from their entire product line by doing carbon copy games year in and year out.

This game would have to be the second coming of raptor jesus for me to care at this point.

23. Brun says:

Ubisoft? No thanks.

• Khemm says:

FACEPALM… It’s comments like these that make the WHOLE PC community look like a bunch of assholes.

• Brun says:

Exactly how does MY personal opinion and MY personal preferences reflect upon the entire PC gaming community?

• akeso says:

It doesn’t. Khemm is just for all practical purposes the RPS village idiot.

He basically just runs around the comments threads spewing nonsense while everyone else eats some popcorn while snickering at him.

• Kadayi says:

Why exactly Brun? You haven’t actually given a reason.

• Brun says:

I’ve given reasons in other parts of this thread, but it boils down to their treatment of their PC customers – mostly the generalizations they’ve made about PC gamers and piracy. Their short-sightedness and arrogance is enough to put me off of any of their current games despite the fact that I may have some mild interest (Anno 2070 for example).

• Kadayi says:

@Brun

What all of them?

24. lowprices says:

There’s something strangely entertaining about watching one man fight an entire comments page singlehanded.

It’s called democracy.
      The majority can be wrong more often than not.

• mondomau says:

Jesus christ.

• lowprices says:

And what exactly does you being determined to shout down everyone who dislikes Ubisoft got to do with democracy? Surely democracy would be accepting the fact that other people have opinions that are not the same as yours.

• akeso says:

Wait, wouldn’t democracy mean you’re wrong?

I think the word you’re looking for is trolling.

• vecordae says:

Isn’t democracy that thing where each person gets one vote and the total is tallied, run through esoteric maths, and then the “winner” gets to be enacted as policy? I’m pretty sure it is. I don’t think it applies to forums, though.

• Kadayi says:

He’s not alone. I don’t agree with Khemm about his Steam stance, but I do think he has a valid point about Ubisoft and the way they are negatively presented by certain sites. Sure there have been a couple of instances with the Always on DRM over the years, but by on large a lot of their titles haven’t shipped with it. It would be nice to come into an Ubi thread and not just see the usual ‘Ubisoft – no thanks’ comments (like that in itself somehow constitutes an opinion worth sharing), and instead ones that actually centered around the game.

• vecordae says:

It’s difficult to comment with any degree of authority on a game that hasn’t been released yet. That said, Ubisoft does produce games that people enjoy playing. It also has a tendency to not handle its PC ports of said games very well and seems to have, as a corporation, a kind of schizophrenic relationship with PC gamers. I honestly believe that many of the negative comments are the direct result of genuine customer dissatisfaction, rather than everyone jumping on the “Screw Ubisoft” bandwagon simply because it’s fashionable to do so.

Unfortunately, Khemm seems to be set on telling us that we shouldn’t have been dissatisfied in the first place or that we’re idiots for preferring another service which he believes is even worse. Even if those aren’t the exact words being used, it’s what his/her words and attitude seems to be driving at. There’s no examples of how Ubisoft has listened to its customers and tried to do new things. He doesn’t mention how Ubisoft has tried to find ways of meeting its consumers half way after a game has been released. It really does come across as though we, the customers, are the real problem here. Makes it hard to take seriously.

• Suits says:

You being soft now? Nah that about sums it up.

• Pointless Puppies says:

@Kadayi:

I’m pretty sure it’s Ubisoft’s statements and actions that present them in a bad light, not entire communities and website somehow “out to get them” for no good reason.

Think long and hard about why there are people out there who say “Ubisoft? No thanks”. Here’s a hint: people don’t just randomly get up in the morning and say “I’m going to irrationally avoid games from this specific publisher for absolutely no reason”. Usually, when people get to the point where they avoid a game based on the name of the publisher behind it, usually the publisher has done something to offend him/her. To say that this is due to “certain sites” having launched on some “crusade” against them instead of seeing what it is that the publisher did to wrong people is incredibly idiotic.

• Goomich says:

“It really does come across as though we, the customers, are the real problem here.”

Fortunately for them, I’ve removed myself from their customer pool.
      1 less problem for Ubisoft.

25. jill says:

is it me or are there mostly steam emplyees on RPS? Some guy says he doesnt like steam so all of a sudden its a gangbang?

Dont you guys have a very large man to feed?

• vecordae says:

While I’m not a valve employee, my friends who work there assure me that Mister Newall is largely self-sustaining.

• lowprices says:

A gangbang? That is precisely what it is not. If it were one of those, there would have been a greater chance of everyone involved walking away happy.

26. SirKicksalot says:

I played Driver San Francisco just fine this weekend while Uplay was down using the offline mode.
    I hope people bitching about From Dust’s PC controls also bitch about critical and RPS darling Defense Grid, which has identical mouse controls.

27. Rao Dao Zao says:

Shouldn’t the title of this article have been “Ghost Retcon: …” ?

28. Garibaldi says:

I thought the bottom of the video said “Ubisoft Comedy”. Its getting to be that way, for pc gamers anyway. How anyone could defend that shitty company and their garbage drm laden ports is beyond me.

29. qplazm says:

S-s-stupid PC gamers! I-it’s not like we want you to buy our games or anything! We j-just thought it would be easy to do a port.

30. RyuRanX says:

A cinematic bro shooter and a mediocre free to play online shooter. Don’t care and don’t care. Ghost Recon is dead.

31. jimjam says:

@ KeHemm & Kadayi

I agree about the double standards a large number of posters have regards ubisoft online and valves online, which are both attempting the same thing as is ORIGIN & GFWL.

Just because ubisofts online platform is way behind valves does not mean their games are shite.

And as for ‘ports’ being crap that is a universal problem (look at Rages launch on pc). Also as one poster pointed out GRAW & GRAW2 were not even ports (GRIN did it)

BUT (and its a big BUT) Ubisofts PR, and infantile use of DRM is keeping me away, as is EA’s incomplete ORIGIN & GFWL

Put simply I can not be arsed to have 4 fricking online DRM platforms, and shant be ‘signing up’ for anymore of them!

(I didnt WANT steam but got it rammed up my arse, already)

32. ffordesoon says:

Ubisoft is like Mr. Sheldrake from The Apartment, and PC gamers are Ms. Kubelik.

I know literally nobody will get that, but trust me, the analogy is apt.

33. hardnipples says:

Pfft, I’d take GFWL over Ubisoft’s shitty DRM any day. Atleast GFWL works most of the time whereas Ubisofts DRM requires you to be online at all times and their servers are down atleast once a week.

• Khemm says:

Ubi hasn’t been forcing PC gamers to use always online DRM for over a year. HEEELLLOOO???!!! People, at least get yourselves informed instead of talking bullshit.

• Xerian says:

Actually they have. Stop being misinformed, moronic troll.
      And even if they hadnt, WOOOOW… A WHOLE YEAR! Wow. They’re truely saviors of the PC (even though they seem to despise everyone on the PC… Ugh.)

34. derbefrier says:

god the internet is stupid instead of turning this into some big morality drama how bout just either play the game cause it looks fun or dont. nobody really gives a shit about your stance on UBI i know i dont. I could care less about why you scorn one giant corporation but suck the nuts of another when its painfully obvious they both have issues but both make good games from time to time.
    all i know is that if a game looks fun i’ll play it regardless of who published it or who made it, i will give it a shot. Khem makes alot of valid points that most people seem to hang onto a few mistakes by a company and scream from the rooftops they are forever damned in the eyes of a community with no chance of retribution, while another company just as guilty as fucking shit up from time to time seems to be able to do no wrong. The hypocrisy of the internet and its ability to blow thing out of proportion is really quite something to behold.

35. Metalhead9806 says:

I hate UBI and their DRM.
    Solid games but they really make it hard for paying customers to enjoy their products.
    Worry less about the thieves guys and more about paying customer satisfaction.

36. jimjam says:

Well I searched youtube for clips of the game (instead of a bald man talking PR speak) and the GR FS game looks like its going to be pimping Kinect as a way to control the game and this explains the delay.
    Overall I reckon its going to be a good ….Xbox360 game, but its clear from footage its not been conceived for the PC.
    So ill skip this, based on the game itself regardless of drm issues.

37. Shooop says:

The things like the stealth suit were nice-looking, but I’m not fond of 3rd person shooters in general.

Not even going to bring up Ubisoft’s history of really bad PC design decisions because at this point I’d be pissing on a Jupiter-sized planet of piss.

38. jimjam says:

Go back to 2006 and Ubisoft were a great source of good pc games.

Move to 2012 and even iD have left us behind :(