Glumbrella: Operation Raccoon City

By Adam Smith on January 10th, 2012 at 10:13 am.

Who wants a hug? Do you want a hug? Oh yes you do!

The first thing I like to do on a Tuesday morning is expose my ignorance to as many people as possible. Here’s today’s effort – I didn’t know Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (ReOrc) involved people killing other people as well as people killing zombies and mutants. Perhaps you didn’t either. A new trailer shows that the mean nasties of the Umbrella Security Services will be using all kinds of fancy technowizardry to clean up the bio-contagion errors of their employers while a US Spec Ops team will be trying to expose the company’s nefarious doings. The results of those nefarious doings, running the gamut from zombies to tyrants, will be making everyone’s life miserable. Also, things explode a lot. Observe.

With the tyrant throwing cars down the street willy-nilly I suppose we’re still allowed to compare this to Left 4 Dead? Just a little? It’s hard to know how similar they’ll actually play at this point, although if the emphasis is often on the fight between the human teams as in this trailer, it should be very different indeed.

The trailer does a fairly good job of showing the various gadgets and weapons that each team will have at their disposal but when everyone started going all ninja, with incredible cloaking magic, it all felt a little too sci-fi. Resident Evil has always had that element but this looks more Metal Gear than Romero.

I’m intrigued to see how it turns out though and it will be out on consoleboxes in the latter half of March, then on PC at a later date. “Later” may be one of the most annoying release dates but this is a co-op multiplayer Resident Evil game so I’m still slightly surprised we’re getting ReOrc at all.

, , , .

1. NetsukeMonkey says:

I’m having tremendous difficulty getting over how white that zombie’s teeth are. Who is his dentist?

• simoroth says:

This is a terrifying revelation, that zombie appears to be Adam Sandler!

• Echo Black says:

He does kind of look like Adam Sandler if you squint a bit

• Squire says:

Nah, he looks like ME2 MascShep crossed with Matthew Fox.

• Adam Smith says:

Shephard, Shepard and Sandler, Zombie at Law.

• Squire says:

I suppose Sandler has the bankroll to build spaceships for them while Shepard can settle legal disputes between aliens.

“My name is Commander Shepard and this slum is the hottest bed of crime on the citadel”

2. Lewie Procter says:

Mikami wept.

• Hindenburg says:

I’d be amazed if he still had some tears left after seeing Shadows of the Damned crash and burn at retail.

• apocraphyn says:

…or after seeing what they’re doing with the reboot of Devil May Cry. Guh.

3. Roshin says:

Left 4 Raccoon City! :D

It looks nice, but yeah, I kept thinking of L4D the whole time. It will be interesting to see what it’s like in action. Also, I can’t believe that Capcom hasn’t even tried to rid themselves of the names “Umbrella” and “Raccoon City”, because they sound so bloody stupid.

4. pyjamarama says:

deleted wrong thread

5. sneetch says:

Hmmm…. nice, I’m looking forward to this, co-op is my main thing these days and the three sides could make this very entertaining/unpredictable.

Chaz says:

I thought originally you were supposed to be just playing the bad Umbrella guys, but this make it look like you might end up playing both sides. Two sperate campaigns perhaps?

• Ringwraith says:

They’ve always said you can playable multiple sides, at the very least you can do so in the competitive multiplayer modes anyway.

• sneetch says:

The website says that you play as the Umbrella guys trying to destroy any evidence of the infection and eliminating survivors but the US government has sent in a elite team of skinny women, spiky haired surfers and burly tattooed guys who will no doubt prove to be surprisingly gentle and caring troops, I’d imagine that in the multiplayer you can play as both. It could be interesting, one side trying to gather information before the other side destroys it.

• Ringwraith says:

There’s also a mode where someone on each team is playing a ‘hero’ of their side, so cameos of previous RE characters (which there seems to be a lot to choose from), who have special abilities and the objective is to kill the opposing hero while protecting your own.
      Which certainly sounds interesting.

7. skyturnedred says:

Interesting. Now, I would like some actual gameplay footage.

8. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I have no attachement to the Resident Evil franchise, but I like the concept. I do find the Standard Oneliners and the lack of military procedure from the military types a bit silly though. (Bare arms and no head protection while fighting zombies? Yeah nice hair girl but maybe put a helmet on and you might just keep your head.)

And of course this does not show what the actual game will be like.

• sneetch says:

Yeah, you know what? If I was being sent in to a zombie infested city I’d demand – at the very least – a leather jacket, gloves and a full face helmet (like most of the Umbrella guys, in fairness). Your average biker seems to be the fairly well prepared for a zombie apocalypse. Better prepared than those alledgedly elite soldiers.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

The military has procedures for fighting zombies? Man, those guys are prepared for everything!

9. Tadpol says:

Looks like Umbrella forgot to give Hunk cloaking, giant machine guns, and infinite explosives.

Besides, why have a team killing survivors and covering up evidence, if the government nukes the city anyways to help Umbrella cover up the incident?

Oh well, not like the Resident Evil story made much sense in the first place. Gotta punch them boulders yo

• Pajama says:

Hunk’s just a mercenary for Umbrella, not straight up a solider for them [you can say that STARS and the BSAA are soliders for their respective organizations] And I only saw one or two explosives thrown. In all essence, I don’t think it matters. And doesn’t the military nuke Raccoon City, not umbrella?

Anyways, my opinion on the video was that if its basically Left 4 Dead VS Left 4 Dead 2 with zombies as hazards while you shoot eachother, then it will be very neat.

Just some things I noticed, I think we can expect a mechanic to use a zombie as a bullet shield and to put a grenade in a zombies mouth and have it attack others, potentially killing your enemy or your friends. Certain classes use certain gadgets, ones obviously a medic, ones a thief like dude and then a heavy weapons and assault class, if there is even a class system. >__> A small little thing I picked up was that if your bleeding zombies will try to hunt you down like sharks, I guess no more sound or sight hunting, its those + blood hunting.

I have no clue if this will be a matchmaking affair or a MMO, don’t know why I think it would fit for a MMO, but it might.

Other then the outright coolness, I hope it does a 3rd person fluantly without the stop to shoot thing.

10. YanDaik says:

this
    looks
    awesome

11. elnalter says:

fun movie, but i want to see more gameplay. the last few videos have been bland

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

Does anyone know what kind of rig and software would be needed to generate this footage? Is it the kind of thing where you would have to leave the frames rendering overnight, unless you are using a supercomputer? I would be interested to know how far off this quality we are in real-time gaming. This looks better than The (Unreal Engine 3) Samaritan, and that took three GTX 590′s chugging away for real time, apparently.

13. Moonracer says:

If it’s team deathmatch with zombies as an environmental concern it might actually be good.

14. Synesthesia says:

i miss my resident evil. I really, really miss it. The 3ds one looks like its going to be great, lets cross fingers…

The trailer as a piece of animation is pretty good, though. The licker fight was amazing!

15. Navagon says:

Not exactly what most would expect, or want, from the RE franchise. But if it’s a good game it’s a good game. RE5 was a good game in spite of the fact that it had a lot of things fans hated. So I’m willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt.

16. Skusey says:

I’ve no idea what the game will be like, and I’ve never been interested in Resident Evil before, but that’s a really cool movie.