More AssCreedRev Multiplayer In A Fortnight

By John Walker on January 10th, 2012 at 12:53 pm.

This is nobody's business but the Turks.

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations‘ multiplayer is soon to get a bit bigger. The Mediterranean Traveller Map Pack comes out as DLC on the 24th, and rather pleasingly the PC has it at the same time as the consoles (thus far). This is that almost forgotten breed of DLC, the stuff you pay for. To get the extra six multiplayer maps, featuring Jerusalem, imperial district of Constantinople, and a mercantile district of Dyers, you’ll need to fork out £8. You can see some screenshots from the new content below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. rb2610 says:

Pretty sure the map at the top is just a reskin of the carnival one from AC:B :/

2. glix says:

Oh, they put Siena in. That one wasn’t nearly as fun as the others, too small with no taller buildings so it was crowded, especially for a full game of 8 players.

Also, how does the MP for Revs stack up against Brohood? I adored Brohood’s, but haven’t had a chance to get Revs to check out the online play.

3. lowprices says:

AssRev just isn’t as funny a contraction as AssBro. Hopefully Ubisoft will do better next time.

4. Heliocentric says:

Way to split the playerbase ubi!
    *Cheers and whoops*
    I’ll stick to BroAss until gotee, ultimate version shows up I guess.

• TODD says:

Anytime a developer releases an expansion, they “split the playerbase.” AssRev’s multiplayer is absolutely wonderful, and in my opinion six extra maps are worth the price of admission.

• Dominic White says:

“Anytime a developer releases an expansion, they “split the playerbase.” ”

No, they don’t – a good few developers have got things worked out so that people who don’t own expansion content can play with those who do – they just can’t host games or get certain shiny bonuses. Some major releases spring to mind – LittleBigPlanet (both 1 & 2) on the PS3 has a mountain of DLC, but non-owners can still play content made using it for free – it doesn’t split the community at all, and everyone wins.

So, why don’t more studios do this?

• Heliocentric says:

What do the maps really add? More visual flair and style, but mechanically, just a different set of warrens and rooftops to walk around.

@Dominic White Tell that to’ Magicka’ developers , or ‘Company of Heroes’ and ‘Dawn of War’ developers Relic, while we are at it what about Blizzard promises to not split Multi player of Starcraft 2?

5. DeathHamsterDude says:

John! Hey John! You made a They Might Be Giants reference! Have a biscuit and some tea on me.

6. Blackcompany says:

AssSeries’ multiplayer intrigues me. Seems it might be a nice change of pace from the ‘run by face-shootings’ I tend to receive so many of in multiplayer games. (I suck at them, in case no one got that point before.) Seems like the multiplayer here rewards patience and planning – and some improvisation – as opposed to just running around spamming firing triggers.
    Correct me if I am wrong, of course. Thanks.

• Mr Chug says:

From my experience you’re right, although that doesn’t stop some people from simply running around at top speed and trying to rack up a high kill count. The important thing is that it doesn’t matter if they do, since they’ll get minimal points per kill (I finished a game earlier with 4 kills and still finished ahead of a guy with 12). Plus Revs introduced contested kills, which gives some compensation points if you knew exactly who your killer was but couldn’t stun him in time, and leaves them dazed and vulnerable for a few seconds.

7. Iskariot says:

I was disappointed by Revelations, to say the least. Constantinople felt somewhat smaller again than Rome. And Rome already felt a lot smaller than Ac2′s and AC1′s multiple cities. There were fewer, to no puzzles, there was less story telling, with no thieves storyline, no mercanary story line, etc. Sidemissions were much fewer, no horses etc. All in all Revelations felt like an unworthy, diminished, rushed ending to the Ezio story.
    I own all the AC games now and do not regret buying this last iteration, but I do feel I get less for my money every time. For me AC2 was the best.

• Heliocentric says:

No horses? WTF Brotherhoods “Epona grade” whistle for horse was a killer app in Brotherhood.

• Iskariot says:

Indeed, it took me by surprise too. But considering the more compact lay-out ( no large open spaces) of Constantinople it is an understandable decision. I wish, for compensation, they would at least have allowed the player to visit the surrounding countryside and some little villages and use horses there. But you are completely confined to the city (except for a very limited sidemission and some short and limited Altair memories). Compared to the first two AC games they have taken a lot of freedom away from the player. For that I am quite disappointed. This really is a lesser game.

8. rocketman71 says:

Still UbiDRM. Still no LAN.

Comment on this story