Two Minutes Of Fuel: Eight Days In Convoke

By Adam Smith on January 10th, 2012 at 12:01 pm.

It's the sequel to Limbo and the narrative continuation makes perfect sense

I seem to have a thing for thrusting at the moment, which probably isn’t entirely healthy or appropriate. As long as I make sure not to go outside and mingle with the public until this troubling phase passes I’m sure no harm will come of it. Eight Days In Convoke pops you in the cockpit of a UFO, hovering about and abducting people. They just stand there, sedately awaiting a chance to contribute to alien science, but various sorts of missile defense system make plucking them off the ground rather difficult. I’ve only played the demo and while it’s not the smoothest craft I’ve piloted, it’s quite attractive and scratches a certain itch. My thrusting itch. The full thing, with 40 levels, is £2.99 on Desura. Thoughts on fuel follow.

You would think that aliens who have managed to travel all the way to our planet would have fuel tanks capable of keeping them above ground for more than a couple of minutes. Not true. After a few abductions they have to land and refuel. They do the refuelling in between all the science, which can lead to very messy situations if they mistake petrol nozzles for probes.

The lack of fuel means you’ll rely on drifting quite a lot, only hitting the thrust button when it’s absolutely necessary to redirect or avert a collision. For all its simplicity, it’s genuinely exciting and the levels I’ve played are well designed, leading to plenty of near-landings and desperate last ditch measures. There’s almost a puzzle element to some of the trickier areas, as planning a route that provides cover without sapping too much juice becomes quite a task.

, , , , , .

1. NomadKing says:

Perhaps your current thrust addiction could be cured with the aid of an office chair, 2 fire extinguishers and an empty supermarket car park. For a real challenge, just remove the ‘empty’ :)

2. HexagonalBolts says:

Steady!

3. torchedEARTH says:

They will use two types of fuel, surely. The main game will be based on engines that can work within Earth’s atmosphere, whereas intergalatic travel will be handled by a different set of hardware for faster than light travel.

• Adam Smith says:

They could have sixteen different types of fuel – fact remains, the one in my UFO is a crappy sort of fuel. It makes for a more entertaining abduction spree, sure, but there are serious health and safety concerns.

4. JackShandy says:

For a second I thought that thrusting link was going to lead to the Katawa Shoujo impressions piece.

Astatine says:

Has RPS reported on Desura the games distribution platform before? I’d never heard of it.

A quick google suggests a lack of evil. The Linux client is even going GPL.

I should try this, if I can rip myself away from Skyrim and TOR.

6. rustybroomhandle says:

Anyone remember Thrust, by Firebird? Damn annoying swinging pendulae of stupid.

Jackablade says:

“I seem to have a thing for thrusting at the moment”

This seems almost obligatory:

Hodge says:

Wait, so which of the UFO remakes is this one?

9. ColOfNature says:

Dropzone was the first game I played on my shiny new C64, many (many) moons ago.