Getting A Handle On Razer’s Project Fiona

By Alec Meer on January 11th, 2012 at 10:01 am.

Where's the mouse?

Razer have taken the lid off the simmering mystery that was ‘Project Fiona’, and everyone who said mouse/keyboard/gamepad or whatever was wrong. So wrong that they should run into the street, take off all their clothes and scream “I AM WRONG IN EVERY POSSIBLE SENSE.”

The truth about Fiona? It’s an Intel Core i7-powered gaming PC built to be a tablet, with a pair of gamepad-y handles affixed to the sides. Um. To be honest, it puts me in mind of one of those machines you used to find in bars that measure made-up signals from your hands to tell you how much of a sex bomb or how strong you were/weren’t.

Here’s a noisy trailer to start off with:

Here are the tech specs Graphics aren’t mentioned, which may mean it’s using the Intel Sandy Bridge integrated graphics. Which can cope with most games at lowest settings, but I wouldn’t say they’re up to the OMGGGGGGGGG levels the video suggests. Alternatively, maybe it’s using something from the upcoming NVIDIA 600 series and they’re not allowed to say what it is as NVIDIA haven’t taken the wraps off that yet. I’m guessing wildly, of course.

Intel® Core™ i7
10.1″ 1280×800 display
Full-screen user interface supporting multi-touch
3-axis gyro, magnetometer, accelerometer
Force feedback
Dolby® 7.1 surround sound
WiFi 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth® 3.0

There surely must be USB ports too. If this thing can’t be used with a standard keyboard if you want to, I despair.

Update – yep, USB support, so you can use it like a PC of sorts:

And here’s the official line on the controls:

“Adapted from a full featured PC gamepad, Project Fiona’s integrated dual controllers coupled with its advanced multi-touch screen are designed to make complex game navigation ergonomic and intuitive without compromising on the portability of the tablet. You’ll be able to carry out headshots and command troops in-game with ease.”

My thoughts? Well, it’s all jolly clever and I’d love to try one out, but it looks a bit silly and I’m not convinced I need one in my life instead of a laptop. I guess it’s more rivalrous to consoles (or specifically consoles in homes with only one TV and family members/housemates who don’t want to let you hog it) than a gaming PC or laptop. Interesting! Odd. And probably very expensive. And I worry it’d make my arms ache. Maybe it’s only aimed at very muscly PC gamers?

A few more details and piccies here. I’m also reminded of Razer’s last mad project. Where are they getting the money for these crazy things? Do they ever get released?

, .

1. Jacques says:

Sometimes I wonder if Razer actually get their target audience at all.

• Mike says:

i think there comes a point where you can no longer add more LEDs to a mouse, and you need to do something else. This is the result of that. I mean they’re doing their best.

• GoliathBro says:

Children with rich parents?

• Jacques says:

Goliath, that seems to be their most likely target market. In that case, the product should probably cost a few thousand $$$.

• Alexander Norris says:

They’re going to struggle to make this cost less than an iPad and it doesn’t have the Apple brand to sell, so I have no idea who they expect the market for this to be.

• Meat Circus says:

Razer will charge $1500 more than anyone is prepared to pay for such an abomination.

i.e., $1500.

The Sombrero Kid says:

They’re just embarrassing themselves, announcing this disgrace is worse than saying “you know what, we changed our minds that was a stupid idea”. If they’ve got spare R&D money I could literally come up with a better idea in 30 seconds.

AmateurScience says:

@The Sombrero Kid

Challenge accepted: GO!

• Vanderdecken says:

They call the device Fiona then open with a trailer that has a soundtrack one tiny notch down from Bodies. A little incongruent.

• HexagonalBolts says:

@AmateurScience

A working cheap wireless keyboard.

A cheap notebook that is surprisingly powerful for its price, in the same way that the Eee was a few years ago.

• The Tupper says:

@ AmateurScience

A wireless arse-scratcher. I could REALLY use one o’ them.

• Rhin says:

@Hex Razer is a company built around building gamer-oriented hardware. Why would they care about cheap wireless keyboards or EEEs?

• theleif says:

@AmateurScience
      How about a one handed gamepad you could use instead of the keyboard? There has been some attempts to do that, but so far the only ones i have found use a digital stick and not an analog, which makes it kinda pointless.
      I’d love to play with an analog game pad in my right hand and aim with my mouse. They could launch such a device at the same time as the (very theoretical) release of Demons Souls for PC, and i’m pretty sure it would be a winner.

• Xerian says:

@Theleif
      … They’ve already made that. And its quite useful, I must admit. Especially for RTS & MMO’s. (Tried one of my mates, its rather awesome.)

• theleif says:

@Xerian
      Really? When I looked for such device the last time, the 2 devices I found had both digital, not analog sticks.
      Do you recall it’s name?

Cheers

• Fearzone says:

My first reaction to hearing about this was pretty negative. But now that I’ve slept on it, I’m glad Razer is trying stuff like this out. I don’t think PC gamers are going to go for this at all. But console gamers might, depending on the price of this, if they want a mobile console experience and can do without Halo and Gears of War, and also have to buy all their games a second time for the PC. Anyhoo, I don’t think this is the best idea ever, but I do think their might be interest among console users who want something a little better.

• Fearzone says:

@Amateur Science:

A keyboard/gaming-keypad/mouse(or trackball) combo that all sits comfortably on my lap for when I’m gaming on the TV in my living room.

• Ergates_Antius says:

@@AmateurScience

A gaming trackball

• Odeon says:

This has probably already been said in another comment somewhere in the four pages of them, but I didn’t bother looking through them all. I’m far too busy (pronounced “lazy”) to check for sure.

Captain Intense (as seen at Razer’s last mad project) says this thing will probably cost about a grand on Spike TV’s CES coverage show thingy – assuming there’s enough actual demand to warrant them producing such a thing.

I like how the dude playing with one on the right already looks like he has arm fatigue from holding it up. I’ve seen similar “lean back as far as possible to hold up something heavy” at a number of stein holding contests at Oktoberfest celebrations.

• islisis says:

@Theleif

I tried bringing up this subject when I used joystick plus mouse movement with Quake engine games. To this day not many biters, it seems

One overpowered way you could do this is with Razer’s own Hydra controller – two single handed analog sticks plus motion sensing… >.>

An underpowered option would be to use a nunchuck+Wiimote…

The Zeemote JS1 looks ideal but would require some mouse to joystick hacking to work on the PC

And back in the day I used QuickShot-style sticks planted on the desk.

The problem with all of these options is probably lack of buttons compared to a keyboard, for weapon switching etc

Possibly mitigated by these mods of the Belkin N52te and Razor Nostromo

2. N says:

” We here at Razer truly strive to push the boundaries of retardation ever farther.”

sonofsanta says:

Well that looks to be about the most ergonomically awkward form factor for a while. Not exactly conducive to 4 hour gaming sessions without a chiropractor on hand to sort your neck out afterwards, is it?

I suppose you could prevent the neck ache from staring at your crotch by holding it out in front of you like a steering wheel, assuming you have triceps knitted from iron and don’t mind looking like a twat. Although the target market for such a device pretty much consists only of “people who don’t mind looking like a twat”.

sonofsanta says:

Also: surround sound? Honestly? The onboard chip might be capable of it, but I think you’re pushing credulity a bit to claim that your tablet comes with surround sound.

• Optimaximal says:

What they basically mean is ‘we stuck 3 speakers on it and Realtek’s audio driver does the rest’.

• Voxel_Music_Man says:

Hello, I’m going to be an annoying internet person and say that to hold it out in front of you like that you’d need front delts of iron, not triceps of iron.

sonofsanta says:

@Voxel_Music_Man: given that years of computing, both professionally and pleasurably, has left me with a body more akin to cotton wool, iron-anything as a prerequisite is basically a problem.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I can’t wait to see someone with one of those on the tube.

• Skabooga says:

@ the surround sound issue: If someone were thinking of making heavy use of this feature, would it not be better for them to use that shipping container full of money to buy a nice desktop instead? Because, well, surround sound does not really mix with portability. But maybe they’re just referring to head phones (I know nothing about sound systems).

• mrwout says:

“Not exactly conducive to 4 hour gaming sessions”

That’s not really a problem, seeing that battery will probably only last 2 hours.

• Shuck says:

@sonofsanta: I think you’ve discovered what this really is, in disguise: an arm-strength building exercise device. That’s pretty much the only way it makes sense to me.

• Bart Stewart says:

This reminds me (and others here, it seems) of the notion of touch-screen monitors.

About which, there is the classic Jargon File entry on “gorilla arm”: http://catb.org/jargon/html/G/gorilla-arm.html — use one of these things long enough and you’d wind up with an arm like a great ape.

Maybe Razer is thinking of cross-promoting these as exercise equipment? They do come with gyro and accelerometer, after all….

4. sinister agent says:

I … don’t quite know who would be very interested in this. It’s hard to see how it’d really work without giving it a go in person.

They’d better have some bloody good marketing people behind this one. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, but something tells me it might struggle to find a strong reception.

• Nihil says:

“I’m not saying it’s a bad idea”

I am.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I’ll take a dozen! And I shall walk down the streets with them, shouting in peoples faces that PC gaming is not dead!

• Ignorant Texan says:

Um, this looks as if it was designed by the marketing people. With that in mind, perhaps the advertising campaign with be run by the engineers.

5. Dolar says:

So will this be overpriced like that laptop was? I am guessing so. I am betting this will be around $2k. 1500 more then most would even think of paying.

6. Kaira- says:

So… it’s an overpriced handheld console with touch screen which will be largely unused because you have the controllers. I don’t know who thought that this might be a good idea.

And since we are on the subject of tablets as controllers here, I think they might be very suitable for slow-paced RTS and turn-based games. I absolutely loved the video of RUSE played on touchscreen, it just seems to flow so naturally.

7. Wonko the Sane says:

Hardcore gaming mouse company decides that people would be better off playing on a PS3 controller cut in half with a tablet in the middle? FAIL.

Sorry: mouse, cold, dead fingers, FPS, all that. This is not a good control scheme for playing the games that I want to play, and I already have a computer.

8. Skusey says:

This is far more interesting than I expected it to be. If the controllers are detachable and the gpu is half decent it could be a really fun little tablet. And yes, it can be used with a keyboard, although I can’t tell what connector it’s using: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX6jy4U30Qw&feature=watch_response

• roryok says:

My guess is USB into some kind of proprietary dongle

• DrGonzo says:

@frightlever

But then you could play Android games. I have no interest in Android games.

If this was reasonably priced, £200 for example it would be fantastic. I would snap one up and use it on the train, and as a tablet around the house.

But it’s Razor so it will cost a grand and be entirely pointless.

Llewyn says:

Surely the handles should be angled around 25 degrees up from the screen rather than parallel to it. As it is it looks like a guaranteed short course to RSI.

Of course, this might be the least of its failings.

• Xerian says:

Ah, but you see, this is a prototype, barely a tech-demo really. They wont finish the design nor thing if people arent interested.

10. roryok says:

I watched a preview video on engadget with the CEO, he said he thought they could “build” it for $1000.

11. Joe Duck says:

Why do they want to change the format so bad? If they want to expand into other types of hardware, shouldn’t they be doing stuff that have a purpose, like monitors, TrackIRs, routers and such?
    This is very baffling.

Chaz says:

Yeah like a gaming monitor with touch screen stuff or something, and yes a competitor device to Track IR and Kinect would have been a good idea too.

Looks like what they’ve done there is taken the concepts of the handheld gaming device like a DS or PSP and tried to mate it with the tablet concept. However I’m not sure there’s really a market for that kind of thing. Surely if you want to do PC gaming on the go you get a gaming laptop and if you want something more compact you get a small handheld. It’d be no good for the UK’s overcrowded public transport, where often you barely have enough room to get a phone out of your pocket. Not that I’d be seen dead using that thing in public anyway.

• RF says:

Shit, Chaz, that monitor idea is actually pretty good. Of course, that means Razer will never do it but eh.

• Howl says:

I’d settle for an Onza-like wireless controller, in black with blue neon.. like the Mamba, with a convenient docking cradle/wireless receiver.. like the Mamba. Surely this would be simples for them to make and will have a huge target market.

12. shadowbadger says:

My guess – this is going to cost hundreds of pounds, the battery life will be shit, the graphics unimpressive and will only play games.

Alternatives with the option to do other things apart from play games:
    Travel – Tablet/Laptop
    Home – Laptop/Tablet/PC

Not sure where there is a market for it really…

• Stevostin says:

Alternative to play on a train (everything real time) :
      DS, IPad, IPhone, consoles. I think it’s funny how a lot of people miss the point there, probably because Razer keep speaking about “PC gaming” which really shall be translated here as “people playing iPad clone of COD instead of cute japanese pixelised stuff”. Now if you think about how iPad is more and more sold because it’s a gaming device, you can get how Razer think they have a big potential here. Basically you go to everyone playing on an iPad (check your suburb train : that’s a few people) and ask them : “do you want the same thing with fancier graphics, better controls and a better game library (and hell, it’s a PC, you can still use it to do everything PC as well, including a lot of free better apps that what’s on applestore) ?”

Chances are a few hands raise in the wagon.

So if Razer doesn’t screw up with weight, autonomy and price, they may actually have a promising market here.

Also, if you look at someone playing on an iPad, there’s something happening that reminds me of the first walkman. Everybody thought it was doomed, but it happen to be just great because more than a feature list, walkman brought up a different, more intimate relation with music. I feel the same happen when you’re playing a FPS on an iPad, despite the awful controls. It’s more intimate. I feel a game like skyrim could be especially enjoyable on such a device.

Now the big questions : how much cash, how much battery ? I guess we’ll know at the same type we know the CG : when it’s not a prototype anymore. Right now as they say : “spec may vary”

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve owned many a touch screen device. They are no good for gaming. I really don’t understand how people do it. The 3DS doesn’t do anything for me either, nor the Vita.

If the price point was right and it was functional outside of gaming it would be great.

But as I’ve said before, I’m sure that won’t happen.

• Stevostin says:

I agree there is something wrong about hardcore gaming brand razer doing it. If that was sony announcing this, or even microsoft, the whole planet would be overexcited. But Razer ? Who will play with this, Fatal1ty ?

13. Jacques says:

Another thought, how’s the battery life on this thing? Or are you going to have to be plugged in to play?

• Parable says:

Apparently, according to a video/post done by the folks at Engadget + TechnoBuffalo, Min said that he expects to see the final product achieve 2-3 hours of playtime, I’m assuming this is with everything turned on because that battery life is.. Awful.

*edit* Also on pricing “SlashGear reports, however, that the device could “potentially” launch in Q4 2012, with a sub-$1000 price tag.”

• DrGonzo says:

Oh dear.

14. CaspianRoach says:

1) How are you supposed to press 1 2 3 4 buttons when you’re using the sticks?
    2) I will need a keyboard and a mouse for most of the PC games anyway, that makes it more clunkier than a notebook since I’ll need to carry a keyboard as well.
    3) If this has a nice videocard and a processor then it makes me wonder what’s the battery life on it? While playing, of course. Bet it’s “8 hours* (30-60 minutes while playing)”
    4) If it doesn’t have shoulder triggers or buttons on the backside then it’s WORSE than a gamepad and that says a lot.

Also here’s a little test for you all, try putting your arms in the air as if you’re holding that device and try to stay still for at least a minute. It’s really uncomfortable.

edit:
    > multi-touch screen
    Do I need to grow a third arm to use multitouch in addition to dualsticks? What if I hold it in my hands and I want to tap on the screen? It looks heavy and pretty wide and I doubt it’s comfortable holding it in one hand. I’ll also need to shift my other hand lower or I’ll accidentally press a button or move a stick because it will weigh my fingers onto em. This is just dumb, dumb, dumb.

• Milky1985 says:

How are you suppose to press the ABXY buttons on a 360 pad while using the sticks? While i think this thing looks a bit stupid using pressing buttons while using the sticks as somethign against it is a bit silly as its an issue all controllers have really. You use the sticks and triggers and move from stick to button to press in general.

Your probably dead on with the battery life tho :P Does look like its gonna be a plugged in thing as i7′s are a bit power hungry.

Also it does look like a shoulder trigger frmo the pics, but not watched/read much about it so far.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

How are you supposed to press 1 2 3 4 buttons when you’re using the sticks?

That was my first thought too. You’ll have to remove your thumb from the stick—just as you do on a gamepad, so no big deal there—but the buttons are not in a position your thumb will rotate to. So you’ll either have to bend your thumb really awkwardly or shift your entire hand to press the buttons. Incredible.

• SiHy_ says:

I suggest they look at current console gamepads a bit more. You know, the gamepads that have gone through decades of evolution and have had countless hours of R&D into ergonomics thrown into them.
      For instance there’s a reason current gamepads are angled inwards where you grip them.

• cafe says:

@Caspian Roach
      I’m sure the battery life is about 60 minutes… did anybody else notice the brightness of the screen change when that guy plugged in that cable in the second video. This device seems to have every feature of a laptop that I hate plus weird controllers on the sides and a lack of a keyboard and a mouse (the only input devices that are usable for pc’s, ever – I wonder when the devs will see that)

• Mana_Garmr says:

Actually, looking at the position of the connectors between the pads and the screen, I think pushing the buttons will be easier than using the thumb-sticks without damaging your wrists.

15. Gunrun says:

The lack of a GPU means it’s going to run most games currently out really poorly, and any future games even worse. Why even bother.

Shar_ds says:

It’s not often that I read a story and actually say out load “What the F@*k is that?!”

Erm.. it’s a PS Vita crossed with an iPad??

17. Eclipse says:

ok Razer, sell it for $200 and I’ll take one

kregg says:

Razer replied:

PFFFFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…

…Oh… you were being serious? I’m sorry, but you’ll need several thousand dollars more to purchase it.

• SiHy_ says:

Actually I don’t think they were being serious. $200 is far too much. /snark
      Seriously though, I wish Razer all the luck in the world. If they carry on this way they’re going to need it.

AmateurScience says:

This looks like a one way ticket to physiotherapy. They’re basically suggesting I should play supporting what is effectively most of a laptop between my hands a foot apart. Nein danke.

Also are the gamepad bits detachable? Because if not then it’s going to be pretty untransportable.

19. Jorum says:

The control sticks are level with the top of screen – have Razer not noticed that since, um, forever, controllers have always set or held below the screen and maybe there’s a good reason for that.

• ulix says:

You mean like on a PS Vita, PSP or DS? Or the original GBA (not SP), or the Gameboy Micro, the Sega Game Gear (yeah I know some of them only had digital pads, but still)?

20. mr.ioes says:

Looks cool actually.
    But does it come with a predefined lifetime like their mice too?

• Jacques says:

Couple of months?

• Dana says:

My Diamondback is 2 years old now, and still working ok.

• Apples says:

Their mice are actually good – at least my DeathAdder is, and whatever the material is on the top is much nicer than the rubbish cheap plastic most mice have. They might be overpriced, but it’s hard to find anywhere else that has a mouse with high DPI that doesn’t look awful. Their keyboards, on the other hand, are flimsy crap.

• Jacques says:

Their mice are pretty good. I was hugely pissed off that I couldn’t buy any replacement Teflon feet for my Lachesis though.

In hindsight, after using a Cyborg Rat 7 for a few months, there’s a lot that Razer could improve on.

• jon_hill987 says:

My Habu is at least 5 years old now.

• iniudan says:

Actually for their keyboard the Blackwidow is good, the normal edition is one of the cheapest mechanical keyboard you can find in the world, while the ultimate edition is one of the few mechanical keyboard which is backlit.

I admit it don’t have the best build of all mechanical keyboard, but the key themselves will most likely outlast anything from Logitech, anyway if you want the best of best for a keyboard you go Topre.

21. Lord Byte says:

Come on razer, just sell the little touch-screen button thingy separately from the Switchblade!

22. mondomau says:

I can only wonder how much money Razer make from the sale of their gaming peripherals that they can afford to piss (tens of) thousands away on such ridiculous and impractical products.

• Jacques says:

Or on hiring idiots that think this shit will sell.

• Ultra Superior says:

Delusional ideas like this come always from the people who are hiring.

” Hey, I have iPad. I love iPad. My kids love iPad. My wife Fiona plays Angry Birds on iPad. PC is so dead. You know what I hate about my iPad? It has no fucking handles! Lets make iPad with handles! its gonna be BIG.”

I believe your average Razer employee is slightly ashamed of Fiona.

23. Dana says:

I predict an epic failure.

24. Vanderdecken says:

You’re early for April, Razer.

25. Hoaxfish says:

“It hurts to live”

26. Toberoth says:

What is the point of this?

27. noproblem says:

No razor… Just no…

28. Synchrony says:

Any one come up with any reason at all to get this over a ps vita or even an android tablet with an onlive controller, considering you can probably buy both of these and still have paid much less than razer will charge for this

29. Quizboy says:

No mention of the WiiU controller, which this… well, I was going to say ‘resembles’, but honestly it’s more like ‘is’.

• sneetch says:

I was wondering how far down the first WiiU comparison would be, that’s just what I was thinking.

30. thestage says:

problem 1: how the hell are you supposed to hit those buttons

problem 2: this is a Wii U, only probably five times more expensive

31. povu says:

Thank you Razer, obviously this thing is going to save PC Gaming from certain death.

• Ultra Superior says:

It’s not magical.

It’s not practical.

It’s just bad.

Ass.

32. SiHy_ says:

Did anyone else notice the rather sub-par FPS on the very first in-game shot of Assassins Creed? And also later when he’s doing a bit of stabby stabby?
    I don’t mean to pick on a product that hasn’t even been released (as ridiculous as it is) but why on earth would you show that in your trailer?

33. Avish says:

The technical specs is missing a few minor stuff like GPU, memory and hard-drive capacity.
    I know those things are irrelevant for PC gaming, but it would be nice to know. For fun.

felisc says:

Force feedback on a uberexpensive tablet isnt very reassuring, is it ? First explosion in bf3 and zaAAaam there goes your fancy toy flying across the room.

35. mollemannen says:

remember people this is just a prototype! i can see some games like fighters and hack and slasher being more friendly on this platform than shooters and rtses. i kinda like the price of 1k though if it means that theres actually hardware in there for that money. knowing razer though… :/

36. BigJonno says:

You know that time you were having that discussion about gaming on a tablet? When someone said that they absolutely, positively wouldn’t play any kind of game on a touch screen? (Which happens in every discussion about gaming on tablets.) Someone was listening.

37. Ephaelon says:

If this becomes a roaring success, I imagine a generation of children with massive upper-body strength.

• aircool says:

I think certain internet sites have had that one covered for a good ten years now ¬_¬

• sneetch says:

Yes, children who can hold a fully grown man in a headlock and then crush their skulls using their thumbs! Heed the warning people!

38. sicbanana says:

I found it quite hilarious that they showed Terraria in the last few seconds of the trailer.
    I mean, seriously… they are just mocking themselves there. How the hell is that supposed to work? xD

Well, I guess they will be losing a looot of money with this “thing”…

Gap Gen says:

People may laugh, but Nintendo are basically trying the same thing with their next console, only theirs looks even more stupid. Except they have a bigger marketing department and a large audience already.

• SiHy_ says:

But that large audience is the key. Like Apple, Nintendo have a legion of fans who would buy a brick-in-a-box™ if they said it was the next big thing. They’d also buy next year’s model brick-in-a-box lite™ containing a slightly smaller brick.
      I don’t think Razer has anywhere near that sort of consumer devotion.

Mo says:

Not really. The Wii U’s tablet controller is a “dumb client”, so it just has a touchscreen, battery, speaker, and wireless card in it. The CPU, GPU, RAM, etc are the in the Wii U console itself. This means the tablet is light, and will reasonable battery life.

This …. thing is basically a computer in a tablet. It’ll weigh *at least* two pounds! There’s a touchscreen, so presumably Razer expects customers to hold it with one hand as well? Did anyone at Razer think this through? Oh, and the battery life will be awful.

Nintendo are successful because they put out good products, plain and simple.

• mickygor says:

Let’s not forget that the Wii U is also well targeted to the Japanese market, where they rarely have more than one TV in a house.

40. cafe says:

Damn I was hoping for that chinese guy from the last video…

41. Ultra Superior says:

Don’t be so negative. Try to think of a situation, where you could really benefit from such device. Hmm, having both hands on handles nailed to a glossy and heavy screen inbetween…

I can’t think of any.

42. Grubblik says:

I had a girlfriend called Fiona. She had a flat face and handles too, didn’t play with that much, can’t see this changing anything

43. sneetch says:

You know if the controls were built in to the tablet (like they are in the WiiU tablet, PSP, Vivo (edit: Vita, not Vivo), various DS varieties and just about every handheld ever) rather than stuck to the edges like they are I’d think this was pretty cool. As it is they seem a bit… awkward and so the whole thing looks stupid.

In fact a better design would be to have the removable/swappable controls so you can clip them in and remove them but they would be a neat extension and not look like someone put handles on a tablet like this. That way on one side you could have a stick and some buttons on the other side you could have multiple buttons like a hotbar so it could be used for different game types.

No word on RAM, storage or graphics cards makes me think this is a looooooooooooooooooong way off (if it ever appears).

44. karmatentacle says:

pessimism is fun aint it, although i doubt i would be an early adopter it aint all that bad considering it’s a *concept* !
    if that split in half gamepad was detachable and telescopic so it folds away alright, you’re talking about a tablet with windows on. and all the hackery that comes with it, linux dualboot? plus having a touchscreen peripheral for your normal pc wouldn’t be bad, especially if it came with a stylus and decent drivers for using it as an art tablet.

As long as the gamepad is detachable and they get inventive with addon hardware or features for linking it in with a desktop… and the price is low enough, I’d consider it! : /

45. Sauceror says:

The frame is sure to break really fast. Look at it, it’s so clunky.

46. Network Crayon says:

“I wonder what this tea tray would like with a screen in it?”