Bash Some Blocks For Free: Bashi Blocks

By Craig Pearson on January 12th, 2012 at 11:39 am.

A love that must never be spoken of
If there’s an episode of “Who Do You Think You Are?” focussing on games, you can expect to see a crying Peggle (in this scenario portrayed by actor James Ellis, if you can’t get your head around the concept of a game weeping on camera) wailing over black and white screenshots of Breakout, talking about how it never knew where it came from. There there, Peggle, we have just the thing to help you understand. Bashi Blocks is Breakout with a bit more oomph, and it’s now free.

The block breaking ball batting of the original would look at the robot fighting, themed levels of Bashi Blocks and probably not “get it”, but Peggle would appreciate the ridiculousness of the boss fights and the explosions. And if they’re distant cousins, then who knows what love might blossom? Er, anyway, Bashi Blocks is a moresome, very silly update of Breakout, and you can download it for free here.

, , , , .

1. Gozuu says:

See, this is where we move from copying games to improving games. Rather than take concept, remake them in a different universe, put some cliché humor on top of it and call it your own game, they actually improve the game, introduce you to new ways of playing it, new ideas and features that expands the longetivity and puts your interest on more than just replaying a title you found on kongregate years ago.

Where may I donate?

2. BoZo says:

DX Ball is still king!

Hodge says:

Man, that takes me back. And I suspect you’re right.

• Mctittles says:

I’ve played a lot of breakout games and there isn’t enough good ones out there. My favorite ones (in order) are:

Ball Attack
      Acky’s XP Breakout
      BreakQuest

It’s really a close one between Ball Attack and Acky’s. Acky’s brings so many new ideas to the table and adds in addictive elements like bars that fill when you do special things like bounce the ball so many times without hitting a paddle or so many times without hitting a wall. It’s fun, however the graphics are absolutely hideous. Ball Attack is probably the most “pure” Arkanoid type game I’ve played and has a nice difficulty as well. I’d love to see a high res remake of it :).

• Stormwatcher says:

DX-Ball forever.

• aerozol says:

Alphabounce is old, but still excellent.

Thirith says:

I used to love playing Arkanoid 2 on my C64. No other Breakout clone worked that well for me. No idea whether that’s because I was in my early teens when I played Arkanoid and have since play a much, much wider range of games.

4. mrwout says:

It pains me to see there are no other articles on RPS with the tag “sly suggestion of incest”…

5. Metonymy says:

The download page looks a little too whitewashed for a freebie, it seems fishy. I think I’ll let you lot try it out first.

6. phenom_x8 says:

Bashi, its make me remember bishi bashi special (fun, addictive multiplayer party game / mini game collection at my old PS one)

7. porschecm2 says:

Fun game, but I would have liked mouse support in the menus. Or, for that matter, even full keyboard support. Having to use the arrow keys to select letters for my name was almost physically painful.

• wanderer says:

this. plus the mouse doesnt respond properly, back to dx ball it is!

8. miopmiop says:

◢████████████◣
       ██████████████
       ██   ◥██◤   ██
     ◢███    ◥◤    ██◣
     ▊▎██◣        ◢█▊▊
     ▊▎██◤  2●0 1●2  ◥█▊▊
     ▊ ██          █▊▊   shopping for new year!!!
     ◥▇██ ▊      ▊ █▇◤