EA Working On Sequels, Game Reveals

By Adam Smith on January 12th, 2012 at 11:23 am.

mumblemumblemedalofhonourwhisperwhisperhotpursuitrhubarbrhubarbdarksoulsonpc

Shocking, isn’t it? Here’s how this earth-shattering story went down. Imagine your best friends have just told you that they are expecting a child but don’t want the news to spread because they were planning to tell their families in person. Then imagine that your Twitter account immediately shared any information you had learned, thus ruining everything. What I’m trying to say is, Game have just told everyone who was watching: “EA presentation was great. Had mentions of a new Medal of Honour and Need for Speed 13! EA have an exciting year ahead.” Only problem is, the presentation was confidential and the tweet is now gone. I guess if we return to the pregnant couple, their families wouldn’t care all that much in this case because they already have 714 children, following each birth with immediate conception.

, , , , .

1. rei says:

Can I have Mirror’s Edge 2 please?

2. The Tupper says:

To stop such horrible progeny, somebody needs their tubes tied.

3. Kaira- says:

Sequels? As in, following game in the series? What absolute nonsense, it will never take off. Just look at movies! Huff and puff, I say.

Gap Gen says:

Indeed, once you have completed a piece of art to your satisfaction, how can you break apart what you brought to completion so perfectly in your last oeuvre? I cannot see how this would work in anything but the most jaded and avaricious of minds.

Imagine if the Mona Lisa were to make a reprise, but with a wider range of emotions and set in a war-torn Normandy? Or if Romeo and Juliet were not in fact dead, but instead found a contrived reason for making a road trip across America, with Dane Cook as the also-resurrected Mercutio, whose catchphrase “a plague o’ both your houses!” is accompanied by recorded audience laughter. Or the Hay Wain, which is now in space?

Gap Gen says:

Oh, but alas for the protagonist of Need for Speed, whose Sisyphean task will never be complete and whose addiction to velocity may never yet be sated. To play this game, Electronic Arts seem to conclude, must truly be to live in Hades and to suffer eternally.

• Matt says:

I bite my thumb, sir.

4. terry says:

It’s a good thing I don’t have my monocle in or it would’ve popped right out at this announcement.

5. DanPryce says:

Why do these people think spoiling it is fine? I mean, I was really looking forward to being surprised and excited when they officially announced the 13th installment of a yearly-released profitable franchise, and this guy’s just taken that away from me.

6. DevilSShadoW says:

Need For Speed 13…

Remember when we used to joke about these sequel numbers? Remember that? Yeah neither do I…

• Hoaxfish says:

Either someone has a very high need, or they have a lot of speed, not sure which.

• The Tupper says:

Maybe this is the one that can eventually handle my RAGE. Oh hang on – that was Driver 72, wasn’t it. My bad.

• westyfield says:

I feel the desire. The desire… for higher (speed).

• The Tupper says:

Desire For Dispatch 1. That’s my new IP.

Llewyn says:

What surprises me more is that this is only 13. It certainly feels like there have been more than that.

lurkalisk says:

There are technically 18 entries in the NFS franchise, as it happens.

• Matt says:

Breaking news: NFS 13 is titled “The Need for Weed” and focuses on candy paint, spinning rims and driving slow.

7. TormDK says:

A new medal of honour sounds promising. I could live with a Battlefield -> MoH -> Battlefield cyclus.

bear912 says:

So basically you want EA to turn Battlefield into a yearly franchise like Call of Duty, but be slightly less blatant about it by alternating between two names?

I’m using hyperbole here, for the record, as I realize that Medal of Honor and Battlefield have different styles of multiplayer, but I can’t help but think they might begin to converge after a while if EA actually did this.

Actually, to be quite frank, I don’t really mind yearly franchises particularly. I just think it’s a bit silly for people to complain about Call of Duty getting yearly installments on the same engine while EA is seemingly planning to do the same thing with DICE’s Frostbite 2. CONSISTENCY, PEOPLE!

tl;dr: I whine a bit about attitudes that annoy me. Sorry, that rant might not even apply to you, TormDK.

• limboing_leper says:

If they really have to do that, I’d rather they didn’t tie up any DICE resources on the MoH side.

• TormDK says:

I wouldn’t mind a bi-yearly Battlefield game no. They could even do it like this : Battlefield 3 -> New MoH -> Battlefield 2143 -> MoH variant -> Battlefield – Bad Company 3 -> Battlefield 4 -> MoH etc.

In essence, as long as each games style is preserved, then I do not see myself as feeling “full” on that shooter experience. The titles evolve, of course, but they still preserve some close ties with their “parent”.

That way the Medal of Honour franchise could be moved closer to Call of Duty in terms of style and play, where Battlefield could be tweaked some, and remain a mostly team based game. (Which we could argue that it isn’t currently – I as an owner of all battlefield games for the PC at least feel that they have gone a bit too far in trying to mimic Call of Duty.)

yhancik says:

Someone should make nice infographics about games sequels. A timeline of birth (and death) of franchists, a graph of the publishers with the most cumulatives sequels, etc.

• Hoaxfish says:

Maybe some form of calculation of time-per-game. e.g. Deus Ex has 3 games, but released very far apart. CoD has more, but over less time.

Not really sure what that’d tell us, given some companies like dredging up their back-catelogs to slap names on new, and often FPS, games.

There’s also an issue with franchises which have changed hands at some point.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Quick, someone call David McCandless

9. Merus says:

The Ballad of John Riccitello seems appropriate here.

From the sorely missed Idle Thumbs.

10. Tim Ward says:

Picture Makes The Story++

11. sneetch says:

/swoon

Oh sorry, I fainted, it must have been the shock that EA are apparently going to be mirroring the COD MWX then COD Other Y pattern with annual releases of Battlefield X then MOH Y!

12. adonf says:

“they already have 714 children, following each birth with immediate conception”

It’s more like they start conception before the next child is even born, which is gross. And sexy too.

• IDtenT says:

Oh you. Wanna cyber? I can be a pregnant ten foot monstrosaurus if you want. ;)

bear912 says:

Alternatively, if they do wait for the entire nine-month human gestation period, they would need to have an average of approximately thirteen children per birth for the entirety of a fairly generous 40-year span of female fertility. Otherwise, the wife would need to give birth every 20 days or so, and would still have approximately thirteen fetuses in various states of development in her womb at any one time.

If we ignore the statement that the family is a couple, then the feat becomes a slightly less impossible. Assuming that the family is polygynous (i.e. the male partner has multiple wives), the husband can cycle through wives, getting one pregnant every twenty days or so. The husband would need at least thirteen wives to make this possible, all of whom must be fertile for at least 40 years.

Which method can we assume EA is using?

• IDtenT says:

The father is EA, the mother is a development house and the children are games? This analogy is so whack.

bear912 says:

The alarming part is how accurate it is…

Thermal Ions says:

Yes, and just consider what they do to the “mother” when they stop producing.

13. Mad B says:

EA is Pro SOPA..

they don’t get anymore of my money..

FU EA!!

• Shooop says:

Going off the public list doesn’t necessarily mean they’ve stopped supporting it Kadayi. More than likely means they know it’s bad publicity and support it off the record instead.

• Kadayi says:

So basically they’re guilty by not saying it? Hmm….

• Unaco says:

EA is NOT Pro SOPA. EA have made no comment, except a comment along the lines of they aren’t making any comment. They are NOT actively supporting the Bill, but haven’t specifically stated if they are opposed to it.

Kind of like Switzerland. And everytime I see a Swiss Bank I spit.

• Mad B says:

They Did support it.. Now they say they don’t because they know it’s bad publicity..

Look at godaddy for instance.. ya we support it.. oh public backlash.. oh we changed our minds SOPA bad.

To think they don’t secretly still support it.. is like believing everything you read or that your government doesn’t lie to you..

But being gullible is nice Kadayi.. makes the day go by easier..

14. ninjapirate says:

Brilliant analogy, Adam! :)

15. Shooop says:

A major publisher who is trying to destroy gaming like Activision working on sequels to crappy games?

Hold the presses!

jezcentral says:

Only according to a games retailer whose share price has tanked in the last few days, and needs to drum up some excitement about upcoming games.

I mean, it might not even be true….

• Shooop says:

There’s little reason to doubt it it is true because that’s exactly what EA does. Really, it’s like announcing the sun gives off light.

16. brulleks says:

So much complexity of contradiction in just three simple sentences.

17. Don Andy says:

I wouldn’t mind Dead Space 3 myself.

18. 3dog says:

I just want Road Rash back please.

19. HardcoreGamer12 says:

*Medal of Honour and Need for Speed 13*

as if we didn’t know that already specially for the need for speed part