Operation Raccoon City Gameplay Footage

By Adam Smith on January 12th, 2012 at 8:19 pm.

Head like a head with a hole in it

This feels like an inundation of Resident Evil footage but the trailer that is but two days old didn’t contain any actual gameplay, and Capcom have decided to release a video today that is entirely made up of just such action, making it infinitely more interesting. Hectic monster-shooting, defending and escorting is on the cards. In fact, it looks far more hectic than just about anything else I’ve seen today, although, as always, I’ve been playing turn-based strategy games since I woke up so may not be the best gauge for hecticosity. Judge with your own eyes and mind.

So that’s a competitive killathon mode, a snagging and securing mode, a survival mode, and a Heroes mode with famous franchise characters to play and protect. I expected it to be arcadey and shooty but it looks even more arcadey and shooty than I’d expected. When I see multiplayer killfests like this, I’m often struck by the fear that I’ll never be able to survive for more than thirty seconds at a time and where’s the fun in that.

Official descriptions of game modes follow:

Team Deathmatch – Battle for the most kills in brutal triple threat chaos that leaves players never knowing what’s behind them, an element that could only exist in the twisted Resident Evil universe.

Biohazard mode – Make sure samples of the G-virus are returned safely to their base while fighting off all the competing forces at play in Raccoon City.

Survivors mode – Try to survive the horror just a little bit longer while waiting for rescue. There’s limited space on board a helicopter so fight off the opposition and survive the hordes of hungry zombies, risking infection if they get too close.

Heroes Mode – Previously announced, this mode allows fans to play as one of their favorite Resident Evil characters, including Leon S. Kennedy, Hunk or Jill Valentine.

It’s due March 23rd on consoles with a PC release to follow, though we know not when.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. jill says:

gosh remember those amazing real time renders they showed testing a while back. This looks so cheesy and lame. I really was looking forward to that “is it real?” feel. Yikes

• piwgfsya says:

I saw a Tablet PC! Feel very good! Recently, however, in line to see a lot of people think that Chinese products is not good! I plan to buy to try! Look at the situation! After winning Tablet PC! I will give you a report! http://zxc9.com/yKs101

E10 Upgrade Flytouch 3 Google Android 2.3 10.1 inch 1080P Video Resistive Screen Tablet PC Silver

• surv1vor says:

I think if anything, that’d put me off Chinese goods for life. Anyway, bloody spambots.

2. Walter Heisenberg says:

Looks like Valve’s taking some risks with this new Left 4 Dead exciting!

• WrongThinker says:

For what it’s worth, this isn’t really L4D. L4D was one team of players against another team of players who had AI helpers. This is true PvP in a hostile environment (PvPvE). I know comparisons are unavoidable, but I really think this is a unique beast.

If the execution is solid, this game will be incredible.

3. Spinoza says:

So.. which turn based strategy games You been playing?

4. Ic4ruz says:

Wait, the PC version won’t come out at the same time as console ?

When was this announced ?

5. Blackcompany says:

Where are all of these excellent turn based strategy games? I must know.

6. pbnjoe says:

“… an element that could only exist in the twisted Resident Evil universe.”

Then what’s Wanted mode in Assassin’s Creed multiplayer?

7. torchedEARTH says:

Yes it’s Resident Evil, but it’s not terribly impressive is it?

I feel they want to sell this on name alone, and it’s not enough for me.

8. ahmedaak88 says:

i was thinking it was a greate idea for a single player game but noo they must make every thing a multiplayer ….. sigh .

9. Bhazor says:

This Gamecube trailer looks pretty good but wheres that new game you mentioned?

10. Icyicy9999 says:

I’m willing to bet that if The Last of US is a survival game it’s going to outsell this crap three to one. At least.

I’m not sure why Crapcom thinks survival games are outdated and Generic Shootan: We Want Call of Duty’s Audience 5 is somehow going to succeed.

11. max pain says:

<– LEFT STICK –>

• skyturnedred says:

The whole video screamed “look, I’m playing with a gamepad!” But then again, so does every trailer for every game ever (PC exclusives not included).

12. deadly.by.design says:

I’m starting to wish that Gears of War had never been released, because its influence is screwing up a lot of other games.

13. Roshin says:

Console fodder.

14. Noc says:

Oh man, Brutal Triple Threat Chaos! I am very excited for this revolutionary new mechanic, obviously lightyears ahead of the last iteration’s rather Pedestrian Double Threat Chaos. If only other franchises were as Twisted and Edgy enough to provide this level of suspense.

Just everything about this makes me excited! In what other games do players not know what’s behind them? None I can think of, that’s for sure. This is clearly a love letter to old-school Resident Evil fans, who fondly remember not being able to see what’s in front of them by virtue of terrible camera angles.

15. Ringwraith says:

I find the idea that all the multiplayer modes are infested with random zombies fairly interesting, as it opens all sorts of fun tactics up, like using the hordes as weapons or defensive smokecreens, so it should be fairly interesting.

• Pajama says:

I agree. Its not regular CS:S with only soliders, its only zombies and people, and you could change zombies to Civilians and shit just got a lot more controversial. I’m looking forward to it on PC, it seems to be more of a fit on there.

16. PoulWrist says:

I was thinking “is it a mobile game?” when I saw it. But also no “Windows” logo at the end. Is this even a PC title?

17. Notsane says:

Oh look, peashooters on duty. Guns have no feeling at all. Combine that with third person camera and you’ll get a bad case of ‘what the hell is this crap’ out of it.

18. notjasonlee says:

woah, SURVIVAL HORROR!

19. foda500orama says:

Capcom -> GFWL -> No sale.

20. ZIGS says:

• skyturnedred says:

And even then it was mostly because of the poor controls.

• Synesthesia says:

i honestly think the clunky controls have become a genre thing, and they are good and neccesary. It paces everything, it makes you nervous, and you dont want to meet a licker ever again, not somersault over it and shoot a ballistic knife over ist rectum while leaving luminous trails of awesome behind you.

What the fuck has happened to the genre? Honest question. It has been erased from the map. Amnesia was good, but i want my z-movie, clunky control, 3rd person, story-centered survival horrors back.

21. Nick says:

huh, not what I was expecting at all. Shame.

22. buzzmong says:

I was going to follow the mantra of “If you’ve not got anything nice to say don’t say anything at all” but I can’t.

From the video, it looks rather insipid.

I also loathe “Killing an enemy +75″ xp systems.

• Ringwraith says:

Guessing not an RPG fan then.

• skyturnedred says:

The problem is, somewhere along the way, developers thought multiplayer shooters needed “RPG” elements in their games. Which they do not. I for one was fine with simple deathmatch since Quake. Still am.

• Ringwraith says:

Well, it’s hardly quite that much of a new thing for Resident Evil, seeing as starting from 4 you collected money to buy and upgrade weapons…
      It’s probably just an extension of that, as having people running around collecting money off of dead zombies during multiplayer matches would be kinda silly (much more silly than raiding people’s places for valuables at least).

23. Ringwraith says:

There is a single-player story, or at least a story mode (it’s probably co-op as well), and you’re being awfully quick to discount the game on grounds of the amount of content when we’ve only had trailers…

24. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I thought the trailer from a couple days back showed conceptual promise, but this just looks stupid. Definitely not on my “waiting for” list.

25. Timthos says:

I was watching the trailer, thinking, “Well, this could be alright if it had some interesting modes,” but then I looked at the game modes. This game will probably be very boring.

26. baker781 says:

Hmm it looks okay. But I doubt it will end up being that great. Just like Amy.

27. RvLeshrac says:

Is Capcom still a member of the ESA? Is the ESA still supporting SOPA? Then fuck ‘em.

• SiplNico says:

The truth is that if your plan is not to buy any product from companies affiliated with the ESA, you’d be missing out on several AAA games.

Not saying it’s a bad thing, considering the quality of recent AAA games when compared to indies.

• RvLeshrac says:

I’m trying to think of a AAA title I purchased in the past several years that was worth it, and can’t come up with any.

28. TwwIX says:

This looks very generic and therefore terrible. Looks like most of their budget went into those pre-rendered trailers.

29. Kaira- says:

This isn’t new Outbreak File. Where’s new Outbreak File? Please, Capcom?

30. ShadowBlade says:

Just played RE5. Oh god the controls were awful. The horror is trying to kill things while fighting with your controls. The guns had no feeling either.

And man, fuck quick-time events!

31. Diogo Ribeiro says:

“Guys, remember when Resident Evil was a survival horror? Good times, good times…”

Yeah, with the Magnums, and FlameThrowers and Rocket Launchers, and bosses and endgame bosses. So much suspense and terror, right.

32. Syra says:

what’s this? A resident evil game where you don’t need to click to raise your weapon?

33. Khemm says:

Maybe it’s just me, but it looks like a fun shooter. I don’t get the hate, L4D looks much worse than this.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

It might be fun, it might not be. Can’t help you there! Otherwise, the hate is kind of a self-fulfilling slowburn. With RE4, but most obviously with RE5, fans of survival horror, and RE in particular, realized how quaint and unnecessary it was to hold the series as tense and expound its survival-like qualities based on its contrivances – like key fetching, odious backtracking, etc. “Puzzles” aren’t necessary for survival horror, but every “fan” so very much want everyone to believe these are somehow “cerebral” and “staples”.

• Nick says:

I’d rather key finding than all the fucking quicktime events.

Although neither would be better.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

QTEs at least have the decency to be over with in a matter of seconds, and are generally tied to the “here and now” flow of things. There’s something horribly wrong with a genre, and its defenders, when they promote a game (Resident Evil Zero) wherein its lead characters are about to die in a train accident (“narrative”), but the only way to stop it is to hunt for levers spread out across the train (“actual gameplay”) as particularly adequate to represent said genre, but dismiss a game (Resident Evil 5) as a bad example because surviving (“narrative”) is somehow not tied with shooting freakzombies (“gameplay”, aka, what you do to survive).

Survival horror should be about tense situations. RE0 is not tense when you have all the time in the world to hunt for keys to stop a train whose colision course is DEADLY SERIOUS THING BRO (how do characters rationalize these things, even? “guys, the train’s gonna crash, i’ll be in the cocktail bar”); nor when a freakzombie is running towards you (just about any RE, but talking about RE4 now) and you can open the inventory screen, thereby halting the action, and select your “how very survival horroresque grenade launcher”, unpause and kill it dead.

People have greatly confused RE5 as nothing more than an “action game” when all it did was keep the same flow of action, without the gall to pad it out with events where you had to open doors like the goddamn McGuyver. Which is not to say RE5 is perfect (it does break down in moments, like thinking “if one Licker is scary, maybe 12 of them will be 12x times scary?”) or the best the genre has to offer. But still, perspective people. You do not play survival horror for the tedium of it.

Comment on this story