TERA Accepting Closed Beta Applications

By Adam Smith on January 12th, 2012 at 12:13 pm.

A compensatory sword

TERA is an “action MMO” with a relatively complex political system, which allows players to gain control of resources through democracy or violent monster-bashing. It’s an accepted but little spoken truth that our own Nick Clegg only elevated himself to the position he fails to enjoy today by grinding rats for hours on end. Forget all that though and ask yourself one simple question: do you want the chance to join TERA’s upcoming closed beta? Applications are now open and anyone registering before 11:30 CET, 13th January will have a chance to be one of the first 1,000 entrants. That’s 10:30 in Blightlyland by my reckoning. More passes will be given out as the beta progresses. Europeans, sign up here. Americans here. Video below.

My favourite bit was when the camera panned around the party, or maybe the logo. It really is a rather pointless video unless you haven’t just been told about the beta signup, I guess. But you have, so sorry about that.

If you actually want to know more, we’ve written quite a bit on the game in the past.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Suits says:

I liked the PEGI part

2. Orija says:

I am beginning of tire of applying for all sorts of betas and never getting in.

3. Asskicker says:

That video was amazing.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Indeedy! A whole fifteen seconds of.. game footage, warmly embraced by big letters.

4. DevilSShadoW says:

I’ve been following this game since it was first announced for the western audience. That was in 2009? IIRC. This game will have no chance in hell of doing anything even remotely interesting in 2012. It was originally scheduled for 2011 (a year with barely any new MMO’s) and it had a chance back then. This year? The Secret World in April, SWTOR already out, Guild Wars 2 on the horizon. Yeah… you get the point. I played it during the first stages of alpha (the game was pretty much playable except for the obvious translation stuff) and it was great. But they took WAAAAAAY too much time /westernizing/ and now it is not looking good. Too bad as it wasn’t half bad.

• macr says:

I think the combat system is going to set Tera apart, It looks like its going to make for some really unique and exciting PvP. I got a bit tired of the Spells on Rails system in WoW and other MMO’s and not a lot of developers are moving away from this kind of system even in 2012. I have always hoped for something a bit more skill based, so I still have high hopes for Tera.

• Xerian says:

SWTOR bare brought anything new to the table. Only pewpew sounds, weird cartoony graphics (IN MY STARWARS!?) and… Lightsabers. Really just a reskin of many other games, albeit better than most games like it, it still doesnt bring much innovation to the table. Whereas TERA and GW2 are already showing alot of innovation. The Secret world however, hasnt shown much. Except for the no-classes-no-levels-no-nothing bit. (Still, I am still looking forward to all of three said games. Mostly GW2 though, as I have no interest in subscriptions nowadays. I spent too much money on WoW already, and I still regret it. All 5 years of it.)

• macr says:

I don’t regret my time on wow, I made some good friends playing the game. I regret playing it as long as I did, as it tainted my fond memories of Vanilla and TBC. Wrath and Cataclysm were awful though.

• DevilSShadoW says:

Xerian: I love how you completely ignore the fact that it’s fully voiced and story driven. And that it’s basically kotor 3 but with online features.
      And don’t dare tell me other mmo’s are story driven because you will make a fool of yourself.

• Blackcompany says:

Apples and Oranges, Devilsshadow. Xeran speaks of game play mechanics. And really….SWTOR brought nothing new to the table in terms of game play. The same stiff animations; the same hot key bar; the same…well, everything.
      And it does not stop there. The world is static. Everyone just repeats the same quest lines. Follows the same path. The world never changes, never evolves. Everyone just does the same thing as the rest of their class/race/ etc.
      I won’t insult anyone for liking the typical, WoW-alike MMO. If it pleases you to play those games, enjoy! However, don’t insult others by pretending that SWTOR is some radical, revolutionary, genre-altering experience.

• Bremze says:

Hahahaha “story-driven”? You got as much Stockholm syndrome going on as the twi’lek with the shock collar.

• phylum sinter says:

I too, even as a traditionally ‘against MMO-ness’ gamer have been intrigued by this game. I really hope they can do the action right, and can bring a functional alternative to the boring “countdown til anything happens” style that, for my tastes, is outdated and stagnant for any type of game – even one played across networks with the whole world.

• f1x says:

I’m up for playing anything with a different combat system, considering its not based on standing still casting, waiting for cooldowns

so i’ll give Tera a try, I tried Vindictus and the combat was not actually too bad (only everything else was awful), Im thinking its something similar to that but with a proper world, proper combat skills
      And I also like the “anime” stylized style, so lets see

5. Maxheadroom says:

Maybe it’s a sign that im getting old but I just dont jump on every beta opportunity like I used to in my yoof. Just dont have the spare time anymore :(

(That said, it still sucks i didnt get in on the guild wars 2 one though)

• Suits says:

FYI no one got in Guild Wars 2 “closed beta” not even jesus was allowed in.

• DevilSShadoW says:

aye, GW2 beta was friends and family only/GW1 veterans.

• Chris D says:

I heard Jesus did get in but he’s refusing to break the non-disclosure agreement.

• Blackcompany says:

Is there an agreement so powerful Jesus can’t break it?

6. mentor07825 says:

I wonder how the politics system plays in this game compared to Eve Online.

7. Chalky says:

Have they improved things since it performed so badly in Korea?

• DevilSShadoW says:

Part of the reason for the delay was to wait for the first major content patch before launching it in the west, I.E. the political system.

8. Blackcompany says:

Tera intrigues me because of the combat system. Political systems….well, I think its probably doomed to fail in an action MMO like this one. But I might be wrong. Time will tell.
    On the other hand the combat looks very promising. So tired of the “hotkey express” combat systems. Good to know this game is making progress.

9. the.celt says:

I think the game looks very promising. Combat, the thing you’re doing most of the time, looks like it could be innovative and fun. All of the other systems look typical at worst to quite interesting (the politics system).

I reached a point in previous MMO’s where it became like a lucid dream. I became (too) aware that I was clicking the same few buttons over and over, using almost no mental bandwidth. It struck me that this was a new pinnacle for time wasting. I love the genre of MMO’s, but future ones damn well better require *something* from me.

At any rate, Tera has my interest. I hope it’s not the newest incarnation of the devil.

10. Elmokki says:

I very much doubt TERA will be good. I bet it’ll have combat which can be either fun or unfun (but at the very least it’s different!) and most features just core mmo stuff. Still, it looks like it’d be a fun game to test at least and since I would buy SWTOR if it was like 20 euros for 30 days and game even though I bet it won’t interest me for more than a few weeks, I had to sign up.

I hope it’s good, but I bet it’s mediocre at best. With some luck it’ll be above average though.

11. pbnjoe says:

Wow, that trailer was extremely gripping. From the PEGI logo, to the standing still, followed in quick succession by the standing still, and of course, how can we forget the standing still. THAT was my favourite part.

But seriously, why have a trailer that shows almost nothing but the graphics? It didn’t make me want to play it at all. Ah well. By the way, why does RPS not have any indication that you’re logged in? I know it shows you that you can comment, but I’m used to sites having an indication, such as placing your name somewhere.

12. miopmiop says:

◢████████████◣
       ██████████████
       ██   ◥██◤   ██
     ◢███    ◥◤    ██◣
     ▊▎██◣        ◢█▊▊
     ▊▎██◤  2●0 1●2  ◥█▊▊
     ▊ ██          █▊▊   shopping for new year!!!
     ◥▇██ ▊      ▊ █▇◤