The Darkness II Demo To Drop This Month

By Craig Pearson on January 12th, 2012 at 12:29 pm.

Two weapons good; four weapons betterWhat are you doing on Jan the 24th? Apart from celebrating the ten day anniversary of my 33rd birthday, I mean? I will be playing The Darkness II demo on Steam, weeping at how it’s only 11 and a bit months until I’m 34.

It’s unusual for the PC to get a pre-release demo, so for the novel value alone of legitimately playing a game before its release (ahem) then this is A Thing. It’s also a sequel to a game that didn’t even get a PC release, to pile on the strangeness. In it, you’re the head of a crime organisation, possessed by demons that give you immense power, extra sentient arms, and a killer dress sense. From what I’ve seen, there are many, many, many grim death animations tied to the additional arms, Grabby and Slashy. Adam will be taking a closer look at it next week, and if you hold off reading that preview until the demo is out then you can have a little The Darkness II party.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. bear912 says:

Or should we call it a pre-release dimo?

2. Ed123 says:

Early birthday wishes, grandpa.

• Hodge says:

Seconded – happy birthday you young whippersnapper.

• jimjam says:

Happy birthday. Don’t weep till your over 40 and realise you’re halfway through your life. Also ignore the younglings as the only way they are going to avoid old age is to die young :P

3. Velvetmeds says:

Played the original on PS3, was actually kinda cool. Nothing special but interesting enough. Curious about this sequel…

• N'Al says:

I disagree. The gunplay wasn’t anything special, true, but the way the story was told and the emotions it was able to create was pretty exceptional, actually (especially for an FPS game). Imho, of course.

4. thekeats1999 says:

There were some nice touches in the original. My favourite was just sitting down with the girlfriend and watching a movie. Makes later events in the game more moving.

Plus what is going on in the world. Two PC demos out and before release. 2012 must definately be the end of the world.

5. Navagon says:

There seems to be a resurgence in faith that the humble demo can boost sales. Either that or they forgot that a bad demo (or a demo of a bad game) can harm sales.

Either way I’m glad they’re back as that’s another one on the list to try.

6. kud13 says:

now, can we also get the original ported on the PC before you release this?

I heard good things, but I do not own a playbox… or a TV.

7. wazups2x says:

The PC version should be good. Digital Extremes knows how to do PC games.

Probably why we got a PC demo.

8. Spaztazcular says:

Been looking forward to this game for a bit. I just hope the PC version is good.

9. miopmiop says:

◢████████████◣
       ██████████████
       ██   ◥██◤   ██
     ◢███    ◥◤    ██◣
     ▊▎██◣        ◢█▊▊
     ▊▎██◤  2●0 1●2  ◥█▊▊
     ▊ ██          █▊▊   shopping for new year!!!
     ◥▇██ ▊      ▊ █▇◤