It’s: The Quite Important RPS Survey 2012!

By Jim Rossignol on January 13th, 2012 at 1:57 pm.

Surveyors! Do you see?
UPDATE: That’s enough responses, thanks! Survey finished.

Hello there. Once a year (although not last year, for some reason) we must ask you to help us with knowing stuff about who reads RPS. Hence, the quite important survey. This vital data is fed into the vast computer which controls the internet and the monster is thus soothed, stopping it from rising up in a frenzy of electronic tentacles and destroying the Earth for another year. Also, it helps with our hard-working gentleman being able to secure advertising and therefore keep operating the site! For both these incredible reasons it is quite important that you fill out the survey here, please. It’s so important that I am asking you do it immediately, no matter how important whatever else you might be doing on the internet actually is. Doing so will also secure our love. And that’s what’s really important about PC gaming, isn’t it?

I thought so.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Lukasz says:

COMPLETED! I don’t know any puns tough.

2. Meat Circus says:

I give RPS the worst score imaginable: an A-minus-minus!

3. TrouserDemon says:

How many hours do I spend gaming? Per what? Day?

4. coddan says:

“6. How many hours do you spend gaming?” Per day, week, month?

5. McDan says:

Always a pleasure to help in any way, and I’m proud to say I contribute to pun threads. Go RPS!

6. CMaster says:

“How many hours do you spend gaming?”

Well, I had to answer the maximum of 16+ seeing as I assumed this meant “per lifetime” effectively.

7. Skeletor68 says:

Was about to ask the same question about amount of time gaming. Will hold off until later to provide a factual response.

8. Alistair says:

‘Do you recommend games to friends’ should probably specify real-life or internet ‘friends’.

And the purchase time question (pre-order/on-sale etc) could perhaps allow multiple selections?

9. sinister agent says:

Fill out? Fill out?

FIE YOU DAMNABLE RPS.

10. Dumdeedum says:

[snipped due to redundancy]

11. ShadowBlade says:

I have obliged, Overlords.

12. Skeletor68 says:

Survey complete.

13. TheApologist says:

I thought we’d already secured your love. Now I feel all insecure.

14. DeathHamsterDude says:

Done and done.

Now gimme a biscuit. Shortbread if you have it.

15. Wichtel says:

I feel loved now

16. Screwie says:

Done!

PS: “20. How much do you spend a year on upgrading your PC?” has no option for less than £100.

• YourMessageHere says:

May I request an “as little as possible, but as much as literally necessary” option for this one? Partly because when I do spend money, it’s generally more than a year before I spend any more, and partly because I genuinely have no idea how much I’ve spent on PC bits in any given timeframe. I just know it was as little as I could get away with and it still stung like hell, but I was happy I’d done it in the end.

17. SophieH says:

No option for people who don’t spend money upgrading their PC?

I thought PCs were like consoles only you could play flash games on them. I just buy a new one when the new games don’t work on it anymore. :P

seriously though, there should be a 0-100 option there, I haven’t had a desktop in a while and upgrading laptops scares me since I’m not familiar with the innards. :3

• simoroth says:

I was confused a bit by that one. Since I upgrade with a new computer every few years, don’t particularly upgrade my rigs. I just averaged it.

• iainl says:

Indeed – I spend around £400 every five years or so.

• DickSocrates says:

I spent £70 on upgrading in 2011 and nothing the year before, and nothing the year before that, and nothing the year before that. Yet I am now officially logged as having spent at least £100. :-/

Only enthusiasts spend money every year on upgrades, and by enthusiast I don’t mean people who play games on their PCs a lot, I mean the tier of scary people above that who are always in a state of having just upgraded or looking at the next upgrade. And who don’t consider water cooling silly.

• The Colonel says:

I haven’t upgraded since they stopped upgrading the Xbox 360. Except to get some fancy non-gaming related audio equipment in the PC.

• Reapy says:

Same here, I basically wait until the games I am playing all have to have the resolution and graphics turned down to start playing. THEN a big new release comes out with uber graphics, will push me to that 1500 dollar new PC.

By then everything has usually changed enough that there is no point to upgrading incrementally, about the only thing that gets saved sometimes are hard drives and dvd player.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Me too. Of course, I have an iMac which aren’t easily upgradeable. I am thinking of purchasing a new computer, though. A beastie with a bit more ‘oomph’. No hurry, though.

• Jad says:

Agreed. I feel like the question having a floor of £100 annually feeds into the myth that you need to be constantly upgrading your computer to stay on top of things.

Last year I believe the only “upgrade” i performed on my PC was spending $40 on an XBox 360 controller (really good purchase, frankly), the prior year I spent around $100 on a new hard drive, which was as much for non-gaming reasons as gaming, the year before that I think I bought a nice widescreen monitor to watch movies on, and then it was the year before that when I spent $500-$600 upgrading my PC with a good videocard, processor, RAM, etc. That same PC plays all modern games at 1080p at mediumish settings with a decent framerate.

I thought last year would be the year when I would feel the need to finally upgrade, but everything still looks and runs fine for me. Yearly upgrade requirements are definitely a thing of the past, if they ever were true.

18. Drake Sigar says:

When it came to favourite genre, I ticked all of them, just because I could.

Also, no Turn-based strategy? Bah!

• Zoomon says:

Where was the option for Real Time Tactics versus Real Time Strategy. Or maybe even Grand Strategy so as not to be so Pedantic.

I also wasn’t aware that Indie Games were a genre.

• scoopsy says:

Yeah, no love for other forms of strategy, just RTS eh? What about an option for those of us who like strategy games without repetitive-stress injuries?

• Jorum says:

No wonder no-one thinks there’s a market for TBS if no-one ever asks.

• Smashbox says:

That thing this guy said!

• ObiDamnKenobi says:

Yes! RPS hates strategy! RTS is the only one you can be bothered to include? pah! I’d like to add that I enjoy:
      Turn based strategy
      Turn based tactics
      Turn based squad based tactics
      Grand strategy
      Empire management
      Turn based space strategy
      Space based tactics
      Tactical space based 4x squad empire management

etc..

• bglamb says:

This question was very frustrating. My favourite genre is Strategy, but I really hate RTS games.

I had to put RPG.

• diamondmx says:

Think yourselves lucky it wasn’t

* FPS (remake from RTS)
      * FPS (remake from RPG)
      * FPS (remake from driving)
      * FPS (remake from puzzle)
      * FPS (remake from adventure)
      * WoW (Freemium)
      * iPhone games

• RaveTurned says:

No option for thinly disguised spreadsheets either. Disappoint.

19. Bluerps says:

Wouldn’t Horace defend us against the monster? I always thought he liked eating humanity…

Anyway, did the survey. Hope that helps.

20. Zoomon says:

I have contributed and therefore have allowed the marketing side of RPS to better sell their ad space to potential advertisers!

21. Quinnbeast says:

“It’s so important that I am asking you do it immediately, no matter how important whatever else you might be doing on the internet actually is.”

It’s a shame that – at the time – I was driving Funnel’ through a Beta island with a full load of high end Corp minerals, and went right into a bunch of NPCs. You can’t blame me for that one, Jim.

• The Colonel says:

I was writing an essay on Agamben’s critique of human rights. Unfortunately it’s supposed to be 5000 words, due in on Monday and I’ve not done half the reading yet. Distract me some more RPS!

22. thegooseking says:

I have a problem with the wording of “15. When buying a game, has DRM (Digital Rights Management) ever influenced your buying decision?”

No, but it has when not buying a game.

As it is, it makes it sound like it’s prepared for the possibility that there are people out there who will only buy a game if it has DRM. Which would be weird.

• sneetch says:

I think the wording is fine, if the presence of DRM has prevented you buying a game then it has influenced your buying decision: the decision in that case being a “no”.

• thegooseking says:

But “if the presence of DRM has prevented you buying a game” then it is, by definition, not “when buying a game” as the question begins.

• Chris D says:

Wait, if we’re only including times when you actually bought the game then surely nothing can influence your buying decision because you’re always destined to buy it.

• RaveTurned says:

So to avoid pedantry it should start something like: “15. When considering buying a game…”. But you know what they mean you scallywags. :P

23. Buemba says:

Why was each question repeated twice?

Why was each question repeated twice?

24. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

theres no impulse anymore jim, only gamestop

25. afflictiv says:

I answered to the best of my ability, although these strange foreign symbols next to the income/spending questions baffle me greatly.

26. mrwout says:

I have now procured your love, yey.

27. Chibithor says:

I’ve no clue what’s my household income, might you consider adding an option for that sometime?

Also, GreenManGaming might be a good addition to the digital distribution question.

• Telzis says:

I checked “Other” on that question because a good deal of my “purchased” games this year came from the Humble Bundles, so that would have been a good option too, I think. (or bundles in general)

• bear912 says:

Yes, Green Man would be good to add. I didn’t notice that Green Man was missing from that list. Also Desura, as I mentioned further down.

• milkmansrevenge says:

Another vote for adding Green Man Gaming to the list of digital content thingies. Pretty sure I bought Magicka from there!

28. TormDK says:

And thus we appease the monster!

Now, where’s that complementary gnome for punting?

29. fr0y0 says:

Yea, cool, catch me right as I got laid off my job last month. Now I had to check “unemployed.” You… damned… British… people… things.

30. tenseiga says:

Done! now lets see some of that loving *dims lights*

31. Squire says:

“Now you can create your own surveys for FREE”

My life now has meaning.

32. Freud says:

I completed the survey and I think I won something:

“Now you can create your own surveys for FREE.”

In your face, my non-survey friends.

33. thegooseking says:

Reply fail.

• Lambchops says:

Given the number of daily reply fails it’s unlikely that they’ll get anything of statistical value out of this survey!

• diamondmx says:

Another question:
      Should we fix our somewhat crap reply system?
      Hell Yes [ ]

• thegooseking says:

I think the option to quote other posts, which automatically sticks that post in blockquote tags and sets the comment to reply to that thread would be good.

I’m sure the majority of my reply fails have been copying and pasting someone else’s post for quoting purposes, and forgetting that that’s not actually enough to make it register as a reply.

34. FreezerBag says:

For the question “Which Digital Distribution services do you use to buy games?” perhaps you should have included Amazon? Just a thought for next year.

• Llewyn says:

There’s a whole world outside the US*, and Amazon don’t supply digital downloads to it.

*Well, technically only about 97% of one, but…

35. Stellar Duck says:

Done and done.

I wonder, will you post some sort of summary of the results? Or perhaps some reflections on your readership?

36. engion3 says:

I did it but I didn’t like it.

37. aircool says:

Where the emplyment option for retired? :smugness:

38. Blackcompany says:

I never did ask: Is is the Paper, or the Rock, that beats Shotgun? Just wanted to clarify.

39. zeroskill says:

√ No Problem

40. Lambchops says:

While I was filling in your oh so important survey I neglected to press the button preventing the big nuclear reactor over there for going into meltdown. I can only conclude that the RPS hivemind are Bond style villains and that somewhere Alec is stroking a Persian cat whilst laughing manically.

41. bear912 says:

You might wish to add Desura to the list of digital distributors at some point. I haven’t purchased anything from them yet, but I could see it happening in the next year…

42. magnus says:

All done, now where’s my RPS biro then?

43. warthog2k says:

23. If you watch films at home, do you watch?
    Doesn’t include a “Broadcast VOD” option (like Virgin Media’s Filmflex / Movies On Demand)
    Presume “Download” technically includes Sky Push VOD / iPlayer / OTT Streaming?

• Lamb Chop says:

I counted ‘download’ for netflix, hulu, and every other streaming service that replaces a tv for those of us who only want to pay for one really big monitor.

44. Ross Angus says:

Is the monster who controls the internet Horace?

45. ADinVA says:

Sure we’re in the minority but is there no love for a Mac user running Windows in Bootcamp other than “Other” for what kind of PC do you own?

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Apparently so. But why you’d want to distinguish ‘mac users who use bootcamp’ and ‘mac users who don’t use bootcamp’ is beyond me.

46. ichbinspikeface says:

i done it!

47. Kong says:

The survey assumes that everyone buys digital already. I will, as soon as I can purchase steam coupons in real stores. itunes does it, a shame that itunes is total crap and I will never buy apple products.
    I refuse to put my account/credit card info in too many places of cyberspace. Maybe my bank offers paypal service…gotta check it out.

RPS all the best for 2012. Coffee, cigarette and RPS in the morning, that is how I like to start my day. Cheers folks and thank you for your fantastic work. Rock on.

48. ain says:

You forgot fighting games in the genre list.
    Stop killing esports!

49. HothMonster says:

I had to guess at the money stuff. I never weigh my money and have no idea how money pounds it is. I guess I should buy a little scale. How many grams of money should I spend on my scale do you think?

Comment on this story