Tropico 4 With Space & Internet Filtering?

By Jim Rossignol on January 13th, 2012 at 4:38 pm.

Makes me want to break out Kerbal Space Program.
Yes, it seems to be real. Kalypso have sent word that the expansion for Tropico 4, which is called Modern Times, will features the possibility for enforced modernisation of your little republic, including a space programme. They explain: “El Presidente must modernise his island nation while battling sinister underground forces that threaten the future of Tropico itself in an extensive new single-player campaign.” That means fending off the collapse of capitalism, blocking your citizens’ access to the internet, and other signs of the times. Modern Times is due out in March, but at £19.99 it seems a little pricey! Trailer below.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Spliter says:

The timing on this is too perfect.

2. kataras says:

And in the game?

3. Bobtree says:

What an awful lot of awful screen shaking.

• DRoseDARs says:

@taohua the spambot’s programmer
      You. Nearest fire. Go die in it.

4. cafe says:

It’s cool to see your city in the background when the rocket is taking off!!!

5. crazydane says:

On the price point, really depends upon how much content there really is. TBH I’ll probably pick it up in some Steam Sale… summer sales maybe?

As a big fan of the series I am pleased that Tropico 4 seems so much better than 3. It’s good they’re building on what is already quite a good game.

6. Kent says:

Who built an internet cable system in my tropical island?

I don’t think I’ll pick up Tropico 4 anytime soon. It seems to be Tropico 3… except with some minor new features, and Tropico 3 was a very easy city builder if you consider the potential of the concept.

Also, Dungeons choked balls so it’ll be a while since I trust another game from Kalypso.

• akeso says:

Considering the full game was just a slight reskin of 3 with a few extra buildings?
      I wouldn’t expect a lot of bang for your buck.

• crazydane says:

I really didn’t get on with Tropico 3, I liked 4 much more. I didn’t play Tropico 3 much, but I’ve played 4 a lot more. Not really sure I can explain why though.

ALL OF THAT ASIDE, THERE ARE STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS TO APPEASE THE MIGHTY GABEN. no, but srsly it seemed like a better game, more like the awesomeness that was Tropico 1.

• Archonsod says:

4 has some major alterations to the game. Having to juggle imports and exports for a start, with the availability and prices dependent on international relations for example. As opposed to the Tropico 3 magic boat where you simply loaded bananas in the hold and they magically became money.

• wonderpookie says:

IMO, too many ppl falsely assume Tropico 4 is just Tropico 3 re-skinned. I too was one of them, which is why I waited until the xmas Steam sale to pick it up. Just as Archonsod said, there are subtle but major alterations which really do make a world of difference as far as gameplay is concerned, despite everything looking the same. But at £19.99, I think I’ll wait for another Steam sale first!

• Kent says:

Well then I gotta ask myself if I play so much Tropico that I would seriously consider buying an entirely expensive new game for a few gameplay upgrades that really should have been in a patch. No thanks, I’ll probably go for Anno 2070 instead.

• Thants says:

And Tropico 3 is basically just Tropico 1 with 3D graphics.

• Vinraith says:

@Thants

For the most part yes, but Trop 3 corrects some rather critical problems with the (otherwise brilliant) Tropico 1, namely the transportation issue. Cars and garages eliminate the construction time problem, the never-ending construction project glitch, and a lot of other aggravations. Honestly, the 3d engine and that single change were more than worth the price of admission, IMO.

• DocSeuss says:

Hey, Tropico 4 is a massive improvement on Tropico 3. It’s… there are a lot of very subtle changes that the demo doesn’t show, and the campaign is AWESOME in its humor, even if that humor is terrible, like Serious Sam’s. Well, no, it’s better than Sam’s.

• Kent says:

lol, yeah. I never picked up Tropico 1, so I got pretty much the same game with 3d graphics. Good for me!

• stupid_mcgee says:

As other have said, it’s almost the same as Tropico 3, but it’s not. The ministry adds a great new dynamic, firefighters are needed now, you have to manage imports, new factions means more problems, you have a “build now” option if you can spare the $$$, and best of all… the islands are bigger! The campaign editor also allows you to edit your island, including raising and lowering land and assigning mineral resources/land types. Also, it’s using a new engine, rather than Tropico 3’s, so there’s some subtle things they do with the visuals as well.

Overall, it just plays smoother and feels more engaging than Tropico 3 did. It really is a step up. How much of a step up, and whether that step is worth it, is up to you. If you don’t think it’s worth it, then wait for a sale. If you have the money and you’re a fan, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

At the very least, try out the demo.

7. DigitalSignalX says:

There’s a three booster rocket + shuttle motor launch going off a hundred feet from a road with traffic on it, half a block away from some sort of domed sports complex, and 2 blocks away from huge sky scraper.

Seems legit!

8. Cryptoshrimp says:

Bit expensive, I think I’ll pass. Also, I wish Kerbal Space Program had that kind of rockets.

9. Vinraith says:

Well, at least it’s some content that’s clearly different from Tropico 3 (finally). I’ll probably pick up the GotY down the line.

10. nimzy says:

I wonder if they’ll eventually allow you to grow your own nuclear program so we can re-enact Iran.

• Bostec says:

Only if you can grow your own nuclear scientists, they seem to blow up now and again.

• Cryptoshrimp says:

I’m fairly sure you already can.

• Archonsod says:

Yeah, nuclear program is already in the game. You can even reduce it’s upkeep to zero if you switch your nuclear power plant to enrichment rather than electricity generation.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yep. And enrichment really ticks off the USA. I had my gun making, uranium enriching, gay marriage liberal paradise invaded because my USA standing eventually deteriorated too much when I had a financial crisis. :(

11. Heliocentric says:

Have they not already announced plans for Tropico 5?

• stupid_mcgee says:

Asides from a few other under-the-hood tweaks, I wonder if the ability for DLC and expansion-packs was part of the new engine?

Carra says:

I really enjoy the series but €20 is too expensive. I’ll probably pick it up during a sale, I had a lot of fun with Tropico 3 & 4.

13. tkioz says:

Freaking awesome. love the game, and $20 isn’t too bad really, if it’s as long as the original campaign with some new buildings, policies and stuff.

Even if it didn’t have that stuff, I’d be tempted to buy it just so an awesome developer could keep making games, that aren’t the standard FPS.

We need to support people who make “niche” games in this day of the multimillion dollar FPS.

• Hordriss says:

Agreed – I bought Tropico 4 at release and have 150 hours /played so far – great value for money. If the expansion campaign is as good as Absolute Power was for Tropico 3, then it’ll be £20 well spent.

14. Tams80 says:

If I were a dictator I wouldn’t even allow my citizens access to the internet in the first place. It would empower them too much.

Rip up the cables!

• Grygus says:

Don’t rip out those cables; the answer is Intranet access! All IP addresses resolve to http://www.gloriousleader.net. Citizens can stream GLTV and the Radio IMGL. Also, GLmail, gooGLe (a search engine that always returns the home page for gloriousleader.net and reports what people are looking for,) and a special site that allows citizens to report suspicious behavior by tourists, for immediate investigation by the friendly local police force. All totally free of charge*.

*Not at all free of charge.

• solidsquid says:

Surely you mean tourists who look “out of place” for “help” by our local “tour guides”?

15. Navagon says:

Looks good. But naturally the value for money here has yet to be proven. I don’t think that the other DLC have exactly been bargains so far.

• tkioz says:

There ones for Tropico 4 so far have be so-so, very cheap at $2-3, but only one mission (though they are fairly long missions with interesting stories) and some new buildings and decorations.

16. Thants says:

I guess they had to start adding things that weren’t in the first Tropico game at some point.