Biff: Streetfighter IV Getting 2012 Update(s)

By Jim Rossignol on January 14th, 2012 at 5:44 pm.

Capcom’s blog has mentioned that the PC version of Super Streetfighter IV Arcade Edition is getting multiple updates: “Our development team has been cracking the whip on this project, and are aiming to have the 2012 update ready for you all by the end of February. We will have additional updates in these upcoming weeks. so keep an eye on this space for more info.” The patch was a big rebalance of various characters, which were deemed out of whack, so to speak, on the console versions for a patch in December.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. siegarettes says:

Super Street Fighter IV is a good example of how one bad decision can remove all my desire to buy a game. I was pretty hyped about arcade edition coming to PC, but then they announced that terrible always online character limit. I know its not in the final product but that soured me enough to stop me from purchasing it.

• Khemm says:

That’s a bit bizzare reason to miss out on such a great game.
      Actually, I’ve noticed that quite a bit of RPS readers suffer from what I like to call a “primadonna syndrome”. ;)

• Vagrant says:

So even though they decided not to implement that garbage DRM solution, you still refuse to buy it? I decided to get it the minute they said they were no longer planning to do that.

I think that’s the way a boycott should work; refuse to buy UNTIL they make the changes.

• siegarettes says:

Well, there is also the fact that I’m a bit terrible at fighting games, and the online code isn’t ideal. That and I have Super Street Fighter IV Vanilla on my Xboxy.

• cw8 says:

They removed that character limitation when the community made alot of noise. It’s perfectly fine to play offline now with all the characters, I’ve been doing that all this while.

• bill says:

For me at lease, buying games is often an impulse thing (often driven by hype) and if something delays you from buying it at the time then you often end up losing your initial excitement.

If it was a must buy then it might go back to that, but if it was a “maybe buy” thing then it probably has missed it’s chance.

Malibu Stacey says:

That’s a bit bizzare reason to miss out on such a great game.

The irony is strong in this one.

2. Blackcompany says:

Its funny how they still use the roman numeral IV (4) as the designator for these games. I don’t know whether they are trying to disguise the ridiculous number of sequels, remakes, overhauls, revamps, versions and add-ons they have made. Or whether there simply is no Roman Numeral for 619.

• Wreckdum says:

I lol’d

• V. Profane says:

Didn’t work for Final Fantasy.

• iGark says:

DCXIX.

• Blackcompany says:

Profane – Very true.
      iGark – I gotta ask: was it Google, or did you just know that? One is +1 for taking the time. The other…I don’t know if the internet has that many +1 counters left. I think Wizards of the Coast borrowed them all.

• iGark says:

I couldn’t remember whether 500 was D or L, other than that, memory.

• Ringwraith says:

FFXXVI

Nah, doesn’t hide it.

• Baines says:

It can seem silly, but it does make sense.

Each number is a different game engine/design, roster, etc, and there are multiple revisions of almost every design. They just go “Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo” instead of Street Fighter 2.4.

No one would confuse Street Fighter 1 with any of the other games.

The changes in the different versions of Street Fighter 2 were incremental. Making the already present bosses playable wasn’t enough to justify a “3”, nor was adding a speed setting. Adding four new characters might have been, but it was still telling the same story and they’d already had some minor revisions.

And Street Fighter 2 set the pattern that would be followed in the future. It will take a new story, probably a new boss, and a new engine to see Street Fighter 5. Some of the SF4 characters won’t make the roster cut. Some of the game mechanics might not either, and there will be some new mechanic that wasn’t in SF4 as well.

And to be fair, how many revisions, patches, add-ons and the like did StarCraft have? Yet the game released two years ago was “StarCraft II’. And StarCraft II itself was to be sold in three separate units, two of which have still yet to see release.

• HilariousCow says:

In a weird way I actually find it heartening that each distinct version gets its own name, even if the naming convention is a mess.

It means that each version is treated as its own game, in a sense, rather than a variant. And in the strictest possible sense, even if you only nudge one timing value per character, that is enough to make it “different” (if not entirely different), and potentially to require a different playing style.

Names like “Version 1.63451c” put my expectations on a technical vector – fixes to get the game to its perfectly playable state – like a plumber coming in and fixing your washing machine. And perhaps, a this requires game play design fixes, if someone finds a game killing exploit.

And you don’t get this often anymore – not where there’s not demand. Patches that come out for the game-of-the-month are rarely fixes to gameplay, unless the gameplay actually breaks the point of the game.

The suffixes and prefixes like “hyper” or “AE 2012′ put me in the mind that I should try to treat this version on its own terms, rather than regard the changes as bug fixes.

But street fighter has, what? 12 years of work gone into the genre, and it’s still going. By now it’s a timeless paradigm – high speed rock paper scissors with strategies/risk v reward ratios changing over time, and some execution-reliant gameplay for the bonus that every correct guess affords. Err, yeah. I mean, this stuff really works. And because it’s such a known thing, its fundamentals carved in stone, it’s a hard thing to fuck up on the code side.

So when it does change stuff, it’s going to be for design reasons, on the whole. And that means I’m playing a different game. And I’m glad to be able to differentiate those with something other than a kind of anonymous number. But yes, “Super StreetFighter IV Arcade Edition 2012 PC” does not even acronymize well, but by now it’s a fun tradition, and you’d be whining harder out of nostalgia if they didn’t do this.

3. pkt-zer0 says:

It is really bloody stupid to have a rebalance be delayed this much. I can’t even think of a reason why this would require platform-specific changes in any halfway-reasonably designed engine.

• Khemm says:

Capcom Japan is busy with other projects. That’s what it ultimaly comes down to, the limited resources of the team in Japan.

• Blackcompany says:

Khemm has it right. There are at least three characters who don’t uniforms in pink, purple and beige yet. Gotta get that done.

• Khemm says:

@black
      You might laugh, but I read Capcom forums from time to time and essentialy that’s what it comes down to.

• cosmicolor says:

I think it’s worth noting that someone (Yeb) hacked in various 2012 edition changes into the PC version of SSF4 himself, with the following link to prove it: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/ae-pc-mod-with-2012-changes-ready-for-training-mode-online-play.149352/

It’s not complete yet and probably will never be, but it just goes to show how relatively easy it would be for Capcom to do, if they weren’t going full steam ahead on Street Fighter X Tekken.

• Vagrant says:

Except that they would have to spend 1-2 days reconfiguring their build for Windows, then a few days testing and rebuilding. After that, a few weeks to send to Microsoft for GFWL cert, fix the broken stuff, then recert and release the patch.

It’s not hard, but it’s still not something that can be quickly done when you’ve got resources that have to focus on multiple projects.

4. zackhoagie says:

You heard the man, only a month and a half left to just ruin everybody’s day with Yun and Fei Long.

• pakoito says:

One month and a half to ruin their lives with Juri and Seth :)

5. Metonymy says:

Obviously people are complaining about the console vs pc timing, but really, the idea of ‘balancing’ a street fighter game is complete nonsense to me. It ships how it ships, and as a player, you either get better, or you get destroyed. Tinkering with the character balance destroys the manner in which the players identify with the character itself. The vicious hate you feel towards ‘cheesers’ is one of the most important parts of the entire experience.

It’s not like an MMO where you’re stuck with your character. In a fighter, you can just pick whoever is supposedly strongest. I don’t care how overpowered a character is, it’s only a matter of time before its made tolerable or irrelevant by player adaptation. I maintain that dev tinkering also destroys the player role, reducing the metagame to ‘whine to the developers.’ This happened in WoW and the pvp eventually became unplayable tedium. No player got any better. The game just became a lukewarm flowchart.

While I’m soapboxing, the ease of execution has turned me sour on street fighter. Tick into 720, st normal into super, links into links, these used to be things that separated good from great. Now I can do any competitively significant combo with just a few minutes of practice. What’s the point? The game tests reflexes, why make the endgame more accessible? Only the simple things should be made more accessible.

• zackhoagie says:

So which one of the twins were you playing that got you all riled up?

• Sami H says:

Execution is a small part of what separates a good player from a great one. Knowing when to do what (and why) is how top-level games are decided. The fact that less dexterous players can pull off the combos makes no real difference if they do it at the wrong moment and get punished.

As for tweaking games, next you’ll be argueing that no balance tweaks should ever be made to a game once it ships. Thankfully, developers actually realise that people enjoy a balanced game. SF in general is pretty well balanced, with the identification and “bonding” with the characters coming from how the character looks and their fighting style, not whether they will roflstomp the enemy with ease. As it should be.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Its meant to be a strategic fighting game, not a rote memorisation exercise – the ideal battle would be where each player if fully conversant with all the moves. Like chess.

• cosmicolor says:

I think hard execution has its place. It gives an indicator of progression in a genre without RPG-esque progression, nailing a hard combo can give a feeling of satisfaction that other games just don’t give. Fighting games need that sort of interaction, in some form, otherwise they’ll just get boring. Hard execution can in itself create strategy, making long, damaging combos a calculated risk. I don’t think it’s necessarily moot at the top level because even then you might get screw-ups.

edit: might be worth mentioning that SF4 itself can be pretty damn strict on execution… and easy almost at the same time. It’s a weird game when it comes to that.

• Reapy says:

One problem I always had with fighting games is the execution methods and timing windows are too small such that they exclude a large majority of people from experiencing what they have to offer. I long for the day of a fighting game that is easier to execute with less 1/60th of a second links. It still should require reflexes, but just not as intense.

Might not be a classic fighting game but its a style of game I’d enjoy.

• cosmicolor says:

I would like to say that SF4 would be the best fighter for you, but sadly, once it’s done giving you easy basic combos and special move motions, it throws 1-frame links and various character-specific option selects at you afterwards.

6. Radiant says:

What online only char limit?
    The one they backed down from?
    It’s fine to play on or offline.
    Obviously to play online you have to actually be online.

Bloody end of Feb. Come on Capcom I want my nude mod Ken er… buffs.

• Radiant says:

Speaking of mods there’s TONS of them for the pc version.

Although by far my favorite is the Game of Death Fei Long complete with Kareem Abdul Jabbar’s foot print on his chest:

• subedii says:

Are those compatible with AE?

Robert Garcia for Dan works for all the right reasons.

EDIT: Haha, there’s a Ghandi mod, good grief.

7. Shortwave says:

I always really wanna’ buy this when I see it on sale but I don’t know a single person who has it.. >.<
    I'll wait for the next PC release and hope it's more popular.

8. arrjayjee says:

This game convinced me never to buy another GFWL product ever again.

9. kikito says:

We are closer to fulfilling the prophecy now. A Street Fighter game name with all the possible addons.

Super Streetfighter IV Arcade Edition Alpha Zero Mega Turbo Extra Special Bananas of the dead.

10. zeroskill says:

How much for the update Capcom?

• Burning Man says:

Capcom is the only dev I know that takes DLC one step further and converts into an MMO-esque “subscribe to receive your tiny content update” model.

11. eightbitrobot says:

It’s a shame Capcom haven’t released 3rd Strike Online Edition on Steam.. trying to find someone with a decent ping in my area isn’t easy on PS3, at least on PC i could just have a window open in the background with the game running constantly, GGPO style.

12. iucounu says:

Capcom’s mealy-mouthed stance on SOPA annoyed me so much I doubt I’ll be going near anything of theirs for a long time.