Diablo III Free To Twelve Month WoW Subs

By John Walker on January 14th, 2012 at 11:34 am.

Well, that's easier than reading my words.

If you’re a registered World of Warcraft player, and are willing to commit to a 12 month contract to the game, you can get Diablo III for free. In one of the more confusing offers I’ve seen, Blizzard seem to be rewarding ongoing loyalty to WoW players, rather than actually trying to get new customers, as this is an offer open only to those who have a registered WoW account on or before the 18th October 2011. If that’s you, and you’re willing to add twelve months to your sub, then not only do you get Diablo III whenever it happens to release, but access to the beta for Mists Of Pandaria (still can’t believe that’s really a thing) and a new walkie/flying mount, Tyrael’s Charger.

The caveats, they are many. For instance, if you cancel your 12 month sub for any reason, whoosh, your copy of Diablo III will be gone. After the year you can cancel and keep. However, you don’t have to pay for the full year up-front – it’s done in monthly installments. And once that Panda-infested beta is open, you have guaranteed access.

If you want the Collector’s Edition of Diablo III, they’ve worked out a way you can add your code to your free version and get all the benefits added. But, um, why would you do that? And that mount, who can get up to 310% speed while flying, will be added to your account once patch 4.3 is released.

And yes, reactivated WoW accounts are eligible, but multiple accounts won’t gain you any more. To find out the rest of the details, head here.

Of course, what you’re actually getting here is Diablo III free if you spend $180/€156/£108 on WoW. So this is pretty much just an offer for those who were going to be playing WoW anyway, in a year when it’s facing some extreme competition from newer games. Clearly they want that up-front commitment to stop your wandering off and offering your monthly MMO tithe to another. If you were going to stick around anyway, awesome, free game, beta access, and a stupid pretend horsey.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. subedii says:

I still can’t decide whether this is really clever marketing, or a sad and massive overreaction to WoW having slowly decreasing player numbers

• Icarus says:

I’m pretty sure it’s both, actually.

• bfandreas says:

I admit I was actually tempted to take the offer.

But then again despite being bored with WoW it tok me a long time to kick the habit. Not going back there. In fact, I’d pay extra not to have a WoW account.

• ScubaMonster says:

I also think some of it is to lure people in with the promise of free Diablo 3 to counter act the release of TOR since they are essentially not having any new content until the next expansion now. And patch 4.3 isn’t exactly something to counter a brand new MMO launch. Especially one as hyped and well received as TOR.

• Trillby says:

I think Mists of Panderia is their method of trying to attract new players to the game (China and also girls everywhere looove their pandas – or so Blizzard seems to reckon), while this is quite an interesting stab at stopping their fanbase from dwindling even more. It does seems slightly short-sighted, as where are these people going to be in a year? On the other hand, I’m sure it will catch a number of people who would stop playing (and paying) until Mists comes out, so instead of leaving WoW to play Diablo, they are going to be coerced into doing both.

Don’t forget also, that the profits off of Diablo’s retail price will be negligible compared to the money Blizzard scoops off of every real money purchase in the game. Can’t hurt to give some copies away for increased loyalty.

2. Serge says:

I wanted my free GW2 copy when I unsubscibed from WoW not long after “Panda Phenomenon”.

One can always dream…

• jimjam says:

Guild Wars 1 And Guild Wars 2 are a much better bet than WoW and doubly so now that they stuck Pandas in the game.

3. BigJonno says:

I’d say it’s aimed at retaining players between now and the MoP release. Get people signed up to this and it doesn’t matter if they have a little dalliance with SWTOR on the side.

4. d3vilsadvocate says:

It’s a bad deal. I preordered my game months ago on amazo.co.uk for about 23 pounds.

Okok it’s more expensive now, I hope they don’t cancel my preorder like they did with SC2…

• TheDreamlord says:

I’ve preordered from amazon uk too at the price of just under £22 ages ago. Why would they cancel the preorder? Amazon have never done that to me and they also allow the price to go down but not up. You had different experiences?

• d3vilsadvocate says:

yeah my much cheaper SC2 preorder got cancelled when ActiBlizz decided to increase the prices of all their AAA games by about 10 dollars.

• d3vilsadvocate says:

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item:

“Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac/PC CD)”

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

This item has now been cancelled from your order #203-7883596-0835567 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We are no longer able to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

• Red_Avatar says:

Amazon pulled that stunt with me and my SW:TOR pre-order – they cancelled it TWICE – from £19 to £25 to £33 or so.

Llewyn says:

@Red_Avatar: Are you sure you didn’t miss a mail from Amazon about that? I pre-ordered TOR at £25 before the official pre-order product was announced. When EA announced it Amazon cancelled orders for the old product and started taking them on the new product at £36, but they also sent me a coupon code for £11 off TOR, honouring the original order price.

5. Xocrates says:

Hum… you (well, jim) already posted about this back in October: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/21/diablo-iii-free-to-wow-pass-subscribers/

• leomr says:

Absolutely. I wonder how this story managed to slip through the cracks and get reposted today.

• mouton says:

Alcohol is still present in the blood in the morning.

6. rulez says:

This was announced 3 months ago at Blizzcon. Slow day at the office? :P

Carra says:

Yeah, I thought that I stepped in a time machine today.

• Phantoon says:

Can we take a time machine to “before Blizzard forum GMs always banned upon a report”?

It’s pretty much killing the community of my server.

• Machinations says:

WoW server’s don’t have communities anymore. You can freely faction and realm hop from PvE to PvP and back again, as long as you have the loot.

It’s just a meaningless collection of players that happen to sit in the same area while waiting for their instance queue. Gone is the ‘massive’, gone is the ‘community’ that made WoW great.

In it’s place we have a money making machine whose gameplay hovers somewhere between Bejeweled and Farmville – coincidentally, two of WoW’s biggest competitors.

7. tranchera says:

It seems a bit silly when you think about it, considering if you decide half way through the 12 month contract that you signed that you don’t want to play WoW anymore… you don’t get the stuff. Silly in the sense that Blizzard doesn’t really gain anything from making people sign up for 12 months, except maybe if people are silly enough to conk out near the end and THEN decide to buy Diablo III retail. But still, it’s just a normal WoW subscription being paid as per usual.

Good deal for us though. The people who are still playing WoW. Free game?

Also, this happened about three months ago. Not really news. You guys must’ve reported on it when it happened?

bglamb says:

Or you could just “rent” Diablo 3 for 1 month for £9 or whatever.

8. Loopy says:

This is has been available for some time. In fact as I was planning on playing for another year anyway (I’m having far too much fun with the friends in the guild I’m in to stop right now) signing up for the “Annual Pass” as they call it was pretty much a no-brainer, and as patch 4.3 has already been out for a while everyone who went for it already has the mount.

I have to admit I probably wouldn’t have bought Diablo 3 otherwise, as I never played the original or sequel, and I’m not exactly sure if it’s the sort of game that would appeal to me anyway. This gives me a nice way of finding out for free, for all intents and purposes.

9. Taidan says:

If anything, I’d guess this would be a good way to keep some subscriptions active in the face of competition from their own game.

Is there anybody out there that would let their WoW account lapse in order to play Diablo III for a few months? I have no idea.

Big Murray says:

A good deal is a good deal. Even if it is confusingly good.

11. Hoody says:

It seems once you have clicked on the agree button and signed up for this you can’t cancel the agreement either, had a look at my battlenet page last week and the cancel button was greyed out with it stating that the agreement had to end first before i could cancel my contract.

bglamb says:

Whilst you may not be able to cancel on BattleNet, you can just stop paying them. They can’t take money from your account if you don’t want to give it.

12. Eraysor says:

It is a good deal if you work out the numbers. I usually play WoW for about 7 months of the year. Following the slightly pricey trend of Blizzard games (£35 at least for SC2 in most places), and the fact that I’d usually pay my WoW sub in monthly instalments of £9, it actually works out a lot cheaper this way.

7 months x £9 = £63.
    12 x £7.69 (in 6-month instalments for this deal) – £35 (for Diablo 3 which I would have definitely bought anyway) = £57.28.

So I’m basically paying about £5 less to get Diablo 3 free and 5 extra months to play WoW.

• ExplosiveCoot says:

This is also true in AmericaBucks:

7 months x $14.99 = $104.93
      vs.
      12 months x $12.99 – $59.99 = $95.89

So for we dirty Americans it is roughly $9 less to buy Diablo 3 and 12 months of WoW than it is to just subscribe to 7 months of WoW without contract.

13. spcd says:

This looks like an advertisement… WTF RPS???

• Kaiji says:

I thought the same thing.

RPS seem overwhelmed with excitement about the embarrassing crapfest that is SWTOR too.

Interesting.

• QualityJeverage says:

@Kaiji

They’re covering a game I don’t like!

THEY MUST BE GETTING PAID!

Come off it.

• Phantoon says:

I’ve written a couple rants about how bad SWTOR is (it’s not terrible, just INCREDIBLY mediocre in every aspect) and they’ve not been deleted.

And one of them was right under the article!

• Kaiji says:

@QualityJeverage

I’m not saying that at all. Nice strawman though.

I’m saying it’s funny that this “12 month WoW = Free Diablo” deal pops up here when everyone already knows about it and it’s funny that RPS seems genuinely excited about SWTOR after release when they seemed genuinely unimpressed by it before release (which was quite reasonable considering how crap it is).

• Machinations says:

If you think TOR is crap, what does that say about WoW?

WoW was great when it came out. It has since jumped the shark.

TOR is superior to the current WoW in every respect.

14. squareking says:

Oh, Blizzard.

15. soulboulder says:

i knew about this months ago, why are you posting this as if it new

16. speedwaystar says:

you mean patch 4.3, who (sic) was released late November last? shoddy update RTS, shoddy update.

17. QualityJeverage says:

Not to be “That guy,” but this information is several months old. It was announced at Blizzcon in October of last year.

“And that mount, who can get up to 310% speed while flying, will be added to your account once patch 4.3 is released.”

Patch 4.3 was released in November.

None of the information in this article is new at all.

18. Moraven says:

The purpose of this is so Diablo 3 will not cannibalize WoW subscribers. They know lots of WoW players will play Diablo 3. So why not keep them playing both?

Also, when you add the Collector’s Edition to your account, they pay you back for 4 months of WoW time, ~$60, basically paying the $40 premium that the collector’s is anyway. Kinda of a odd post with missing details that people have known about for months.

19. MythArcana says:

Because Diablo 3 is basically a Mini-WoW and they’ve been over-charging for years and feel guilty.

That’s my version and I’m stickin’ to it.

20. Azradesh says:

Just a little behind on this one John. :P

21. shagen454 says:

I’m glad RPS folks can see through the shit that is SWTOR. I really wish I hadn’t wasted $60 on that piece of shit. I’d rather boot up any other Bioware game that came before it or even go back to playing WoW (which I haven’t played in a long long time now). SWTOR is the biggest *yawn* (I’d rather stare out the fucking window than play this shit) I’ve picked up in a decade.

WoW bores the shit out of me as well, but WoW was better than this shit on release – and get THIS – it wasn’t even voice acted!

• QualityJeverage says:

This is an attitude I don’t get.

You don’t like the game, and that’s fine. But then you say things like “I’m glad RPS folks can see through the shit that is SWTOR.” As though everyone who does enjoy it is just lying to themselves, and you’re the only one smart enough to see that it’s bad.

Is it not enough to just not like it while others do? How far up your own ass do you need to be to think like that?

• shagen454 says:

Obviously, you’re trolling. In this thread I have seen many people who aren’t fans of SWTOR. I’m not far up my ass I just wish I had $60.00 back, is that too difficult for you? Has nothing to do with intelligence.

bglamb says:

You can’t say “obviously you’re trolling” and then respond to the point like he meant it.

That’s having your cake and eating it.

• Machinations says:

Yeah, WoW was a better game on release, but TOR is a better game than the casual hippy friend-fest that is the current WoW, by an inestimable margin.

WoW’s biggest competitors these days are Bejeweled and Farmville. Says a lot about the playerbase.

22. jimjam says:

SOD off BOT!

23. jimjam says:

I am very uneasy about Diablo3.
    Sure it looks like a neat reboot of D2 but as a rental game (which is what it and WoW are) I am just not going to part cash for it.
    Esp with GW2 coming some time soon with a MUCH cheaper purchase model (and better artwork imho).

24. Burning Man says:

I’m going to go with accidental repost. Yesh. Especially with the “will be added to your account once patch 4.3 is released.”

Um.

I heard the next patch is called Hour of Twilight. Don’t ask how I know, it’s very hush-hush.

25. johnpeat says:

I think it’s actually WOW which is caught in a time machine…

Since Jan 1 I’ve been sent 3 emails telling me that it’s “my last chance to play Rage of the Firelands for free for 7 days”

In all 3 cases, the offer ‘expired’ 2 days before the email was sent – it’s a mix of desperation and incompetence which tastes almost like truffles :)

• Machinations says:

That sound is The Kotick’s head exploding when his golden goose finally dies.