Driftmoon Gets A New Trailer, Other News

By Jim Rossignol on January 14th, 2012 at 1:05 pm.

It’s been a long time since we’ve heard anything from charming-looking top-down Indie RPG Driftmoon (made by the Notrium team), but now there’s stuff happening. The gang send word that they’ve blogged about what’s going on with their latest bit of development, and have released a trailer, which you can see below. There’s going to be a demo soon, they report, and you can of course already get access to the game with a pre-order. And I wouldn’t be surprised if quite a few people don’t do that, at least if they had some of the brain written over by a certain era of 16-bit home computing, anyway. Go take a look!

, .

Llewyn says:

I could never afford the 16-bit era – I existed in a gaming black hole between my venerable C64 dying and discovering Civ and SimCity at uni. But I’ve always had a hankering for it, and after looking at the screenies on the game site it’s getting very difficult to fight the urge to blindly buy…

Please remind us of this when the demo hits, as I’m sure I’m not the only RPSer with the memory of a goldfish.

2. Khemm says:

It looks really cool! There seem to be some extensive dialogue trees too, so it’s a huge plus.
    Shame the combat isn’t turn based, but still – I’m interested!

• FalseMyrmidon says:

Notrium was pretty great.

• noom says:

Yeah, this looks really quite anjoyable. I have slight reservations about the top-down, rather-zoomed-in view though; think it’d make me feel a little queasy after a while.

lhzr says:

i liked notrium too, but never got too far in it, for some reason.

not a fan of top-down angles, but it looks ok and it reminds me of rage of mages 2 a bit, which is a good thing. anyway, it looks better than the spiderweb games, for example, the looks of which i can’t really stomach (although those also look better than a valley without wind, ugh) /rant

3. InternetBatman says:

Haven’t played this (obviously) but I did enjoy Notrium.

4. ExplosiveCoot says:

“I wouldn’t be surprised if quite a few people don’t do that”

So I take it you would be surprised if quite a few people do do that?

Really though, this game looks interesting.

Riaktion says:

Glowing Footprints!?

6. Kaira- says:

Ah, Notrium. How many hours did I spend with you? Too many, that’s how many.

7. derella says:

But is there an awesome button?

Bugamn says:

The other ideas of this team were pretty interesting, although I’ve never finished Notrium.
    I think I’ll keep an eye open for this.

• Kaira- says:

I don’t know if it was the same team, but at least Mönkkönen himself made some fisticuffs-combat RPG based on trininity of monks, and the player controlled three monks. It was pretty interesting and worked rather nice if I remember correctly, though it was pretty darn hard every now and then.

9. Wulf says:

Blargh. Tiny text is tiny. I don’t know what it is with some developers and how they seem intent on offending their potential visually disabled audience. I seriously doubt that it will ever have an option to enlarge the fonts, either, just like with all the other games I’ve complained about.

Oh well, this one’s going on the mental crap pile.

And no, you can’t have a go at me for this. I can’t help being disabled and it would be indecent at best and sociopathic at worst to pick on a guy for a disability that he’s unable to do anything about.

I just wish more developers would give a shit about accessibility. I do everything I can to raise awareness, but it seems to fall on deaf ears. And really, they’re losing sales with people who don’t want to make their eyes bleed when reading tiny text. Every person they turn off by having text that you need to be some kind of bionic eagle to read is a lost sale.

I will take a look at it if they include the ability (even if in some ini somewhere) to control font sizes, but otherwise, no. Even Magicka had font size control (if you knew how), so there’s really no excuse.

I’d love to see RPS run an article on accessibility too. It would certainly help to paint the PC as a platform for that sort of thing. As opposed to the stigma of it being for the PC Master Race (and if you’re not capable, then GTFO!).

lhzr says:

couldn’t you lower the resolution a bit? from the looks of it, the visuals wouldn’t seem to suffer too much from choosing something lower than your native monitor resolution. my mom does this and she’s fine with it.

of course, this would only make sense for a game that doesn’t look very sharp to begin with, bigger-budgeted games for which a big part of the appeal are the graphics are a different story..

• Ville Mönkkönen says:

Thanks for all the comment, everyone! It’s really nice to get some feedback on Driftmoon after all the hard work, sweat and love we’ve put into developing it. :)

@Wulf: Sorry about the tiny fonts, Wulf! You’re right, the text in our trailer really is tiny. Like Ihzr said, much of it is due to the fact that we were using a really high resolution when filming the trailer. In Driftmoon the resolution makes a pretty big difference in the appearance of the text, because the size of the text doesn’t vary when the resolution changes (=thus, the text appears noticeably bigger in a smaller resolution).

That said, I can’t be sure about it, but I really do hope that the text will be ok for you, when changed to a lower resolution. If you want, you’ll be able to test this quite easily when the demo comes out! :)

Ville (one of the two developers of Driftmoon)

• pertusaria says:

Just wanted to say, the developers have now fixed this by coding in a text size changing feature, according to their latest blog post. I haven’t actually tried the feature yet, and I’m not visually impaired, so your mileage may vary and all that.

This is a game I’m watching avidly at this stage, so I’m glad they got round to dealing with this problem. I don’t know who’s going to check a months-old thread, but in case someone does…

10. Fumarole says:

That looks lovely.

11. pakoito says:

This is a roguelike but with animations. Bad animations.

12. Jim9137 says:

I don’t know what this game is about but it shall have my only slightly soiled panties for the name.

Drift… moon.

yhancik says:

Imagine the dialogue that appear in that trailer being brought out during a date.

“Look at me and despair”

“I like this place,the biggest litter box I’ve ever seen”

“I was such a speedy kid that my momma always said I was a real Flashlight”

14. thebigJ_A says:

I’d wondered where I’d get my fix of glowing footsteps this year.