The RPS Bargain Bucket: Down South

By RPS on January 14th, 2012 at 12:50 pm.

Lewie’s gone. He’s gone, and he’s left us behind. We’re the SavyGamer B Team of Will and Tony, and we cover for him whenever he’s off somewhere, too busy. Now, he’s too busy for his friends. He’s gone down south and left us behind, and we have to clear up his mess. Oh, sure, he’ll be back next week with his checked shirts and his Lambrini, having gone full native. But we’re still here. The last hope from outside the M25, the last voice of sense. You’d have thought his bargain bone would have kept him away from the higher cost of living. But no, he’s gone, and he’ll forget about us. All about us. Us back home.

Once he’s up and running again he’ll be behind the helm of SavyGamer.co.uk for all your multiplatform bargain needs. The traitor that he is.

REMINDER: Direct2Drive is officially folding into part of GameFly on January 17th. If you’ve previously bought anything from the Bargain Bucket on Direct2Drive, make a local backup of it as soon as you can – while GameFly are of course going to honour your back catalogue of purchases, it’s always a good idea to keep a local copy, and according to the official FAQ some titles might not appear back on your account for some time. It’s worth noting, too, that all extra content, like guides and so forth, will vanish – so if you want them, make them a priority. Now, to the deals!

Swift*Stitch – ~£4.57/$7/€5.52 / $77.77 (!!)

Some of you may remember Swift*Stitch from the end of last year, when Alec posted about the free Unity demo that’s available. That demo? Still available, and still incredible – give it a go. This week, though, the developer’s holding a weird and wonderful promotion. It’s not a pay what you want – it’s a pay when you want. Each day has a different mystery price – today’s is $77.77, almost disqualifying it from the Bucket, but luckily you can still grab it from Indievania for the regular price of $7. If I were you, though, I’d bookmark it and check back just after midnight, but don’t blame me if it shoots up. Again.

Nation Red – £2/$2.50/€2.25 or a four-pack for £5.99 (£1.50 each)

Zombies are a simple bunch – shuffling, direct and unable to hold interesting conversation. The reason they’re scary, aside from being dead and walking about I mean, is that they they lumber in number and never stop until you are overwhelmed – struck by the possibility that you may be delicious.

Similarly, Nation Red is very simple game – zombies pour into an arena and the players go about making them a higher degree of dead. The surprising bit is how fun it actually is, mostly thanks to the zombies acting like angry meat-piñatas, generously gifting you new guns, upgrades and XP to unlock perks. Which makes you seem murderously ungrateful. Sorry, zombies.

There’s a free weekend right now, too, so you can decide for yourself just how much you want to ruin these poor zombie’s unlives.

Batman: Arkham City – £16.29/$24.99 on Impulse

It’s the details. Grime covers every surface, insane and theatrical villains burn their image onto a corrupt, abandoned city and single flakes of snow melt into my billowing cape as I crouch, impossibly high on a gargoyle, ready to swoop thrillingly into danger… after I brood a bit more. Did I ever mention my parents?

I say ‘me’, I of course mean ‘The Batman’ but that’s where Rocksteady succeed with these games – the responsive controls, the satisfyingly crunchy combat and the unfurling options afforded by constant upgrades – this is a Batman simulator and I am the goshdarned Batman.

Less successful – less tight – is the writing. It’s a shame because the oddly beautiful and ugly industrial nightmare environment is so effective at storytelling that the clumsy writing – meandering in plot and problematic towards female characters – is all the more jarring. But as this is absolutely Batman from the tippy top of it’s pointy ears to the dirt-flecked soles of it’s steel-capped boots, I can forgive having to roll my eyes between the swooping, punching Bat-justice.

It’s worth noting that this is standalone GFWL, so much like the retail version, the Steam DLC is not compatible with this version of the game. Once again Games For Windows Live proves itself to be neither the service we deserve nor the service we need right now.

Dead Space 1 & 2 – £6.24/$9.99/€9.99
Have you played Dead Space yet? If you haven’t, it’s because you probably don’t want to get scared out of your wits in your entertainment time. Have I played Dead Space yet? Yeah, because I’m not completely a sissy. Have I finished Dead Space? Well, err. I’m still somewhat a sissy. Dead Space does a fantastic job of toeing that fine line between survival horror (where you’re afraid of everything) and action horror (where you make everything that’s scary afraid of you instead). Yeah, technically you’re an awesome neon space dude with a laser saw and a stompin’ boot, but that doesn’t mean that a silent, dark hallway with nothing in it won’t make you want to play from behind the chair.

If you only want to buy the first one and see if you like it before buying the second, you only spend an extra penny by buying them separately. Hehe, spend a penny.

Deal of the week

XIII – £2/$3.06/€2.42
XIII recently got a weird point-and-click hidden object game, as if the original FPS never even existed. Honestly, though, it’s almost as if it didn’t, and you’d not be to blamed if you didn’t know of it – the PC version doesn’t often pop up too often. It’s here for a couple of quid and it’s definitely worth a quick look – easily the best adaptation of the original comic book. We’ll pretend the TV film didn’t happen.

Also of note:
Deus Ex: Complete Edition – 97p in-store pickup on one of them DVD things
Mafia II – £4.99

Don’t forget that for up-to-date bargains as they happen,you can come on over to SavyGamer.co.uk. You can also drop us a line and tell us that no-one’s bought Lambrini since the eighties. Or something.

1. simoroth says:

Saw the XIII TV film over the holidays when I was in Belgium of all places(where the film is considered blasphemy). Its epically bad.

I’m tempted to just get the first deadspace.. I hear the second is a bit of a let down?

• Unrein says:

Where on earth did you hear that? Frankly, the second one is probably the best of the two games.

• simoroth says:

I was under the impression that the horror had been toned down and the game was much more of a bland action game. Perhaps I’m mistaken?

• siegarettes says:

Second one is definitely the better one. As seems to be the case for all games these days, the original puts forth the concept and the sequel tightens and fleshes out everything. So you can, ya know, shoot the flesh right off.

• Alexander Norris says:

Yes, I’m not sure what kind of Bizarro world you live in. DS2 is better than DS1 in practically every way. They’re both excellent, but DS2 even more so.

• simoroth says:

Cool I’ll get both then!

• Flint says:

The second one IS more actiony, but not in a bland way. I think they’re both pretty on par with eachother, they differ in what they emphasise but they both do it really well.

• Henke says:

I liked the first one more, though I can’t really say why.

• Calneon says:

They are NOT horror games. The first one has some horror elements but if you’ve played an actual horror game (Amnesia for example), you’ll find them very tame. The second one realizes that horror is not their strong points and just improves the action elements. They are both very good games.

• Premium User Badge The Sombrero Kid says:

The first has a hub structure & the second one has a journey structure, this makes the second one worse to my mind, combined with the install limits makes it a no buy for me, the second one prolly has a better, more important story though.

• Phantoon says:

Naw. The first is definitively better, save for the zero-G sections. Some of the environments in the second one felt tacked on, and they all felt mostly the same. The first game is longer, has a better build up of weaponry without making you too strong or too weak, and the bosses are better (in the way I can remember the bosses).

Tiny spoiler: the beginning of Dead Space 2 was supposed to be OH NOOOOOO HORROR! Instead it was unintentionally hilarious because it was SO obvious what was going to happen.

Also, the plot twists weren’t as good in the second one- the ending in the second one wasn’t really that open ended, it just seemed dickish to those that played it.

And also some of the deaths and challenges are pointlessly violent. Dead Space 1 was a game of John Carpenter’s The Thing in space, and it held to that weird grossness pretty well without getting campy with its violence.

And furthermore, I think Isaac was better as a silent protagonist.

And the multiplayer felt tacked-on. It didn’t have the same feel as the normal single player game, when it should’ve been more like Left4Dead rather than this time-based death stuff.

And these are just my opinions, and you are free to disagree with them.

• Zenicetus says:

The first one required more tolerance for a checkpoint save system than I could manage, so I never finished it. Not a bad shooter otherwise.

• TheGameSquid says:

The way I see it, DS2 was worse. It was almost exactly the same as the first game, but with a much, much more annoying story (the first one was pretty tame as well, but it took place in the background most of the time). Talking Isaac isn’t all that likable. The art is more varied, but I thought it did fall short in some places.

If you played the first one, there’s not much point in getting the second IMO. Otherwise, I’d still pick the first just to avoid the annoying story in the second.

• qrter says:

The second game is less annoying mechanically, I felt, easier to play, but..

.. the first game wins for me because of the location – the Ishimura is beautifully realised, with every level tying into an overall design, but feeling distinctive from eachother. The ship’s architecture re-enforces that suffocating panicky feeling of being alone “millions of miles away from home”, which strongly reminded me of System Shock 2.

The second game is much less interesting in its locations, I think.

• Just Endless says:

“They are NOT horror games.”
      They are definitely horror games. The point of genres is to be inclusive; Dead Space tries to frighten, thus, it is a horror game.

• Kaira- says:

Dead Spaces are horror games like Resident Evil 4 and 5 – they suck at horror, but are rather satisfying action games.

• siegarettes says:

I definitely agree that the first is a much better horror game, but still not much of one. The whole series is a bit too scripted and on rails, its easy to see whats coming. The second is of course mechanically better, which actually works against the horror feeling.

I also second that bit about the opening of the second. I actually laughed out loud at it, I just couldn’t help myself. Also talking Isaac is a bundle of laughs, especially his constant outbursts of FUCK! MOTHERFUCKER! when you stomp corpses for loot.

• fitzroy_doll says:

Personally, I found Amnesia dull and not in the least frightening, while Dead Space was tense, gruesome and genuinely disturbing. DS2 is excellent as well, but lacks the claustrophobic horror of the first. Both are highly recommended. Play on the hardest setting from the outset to add to the tension.

A tip: the first time you play Dead Space 2, do not use the patch ( http://www.gamershell.com/news_112072.html ) and don’t buy it on Steam, which is automatically patched. The patch clumsily unlocks all the equipment pack DLCs, giving the player a very easy ride from the start. I was lucky enough to choose to buy it on media from Amazon, so didn’t have this problem, but many who bought it from Steam were not given the experience they should have had.

As noted below, the publishers made the wrong decision with the content dlc: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/26/dead-space-2-severed-not-coming-to-pc/ but not buying it for this reason only reinforces their decision.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Just to pitch in: I loved 1 and 2 immensely, in different ways – a good thing for a first and second entry in a series. no?
      Horror’s always subjective, like comedy (or anything else) but I think the gameplay and production values are strong enough to make up for it if they don’t scare you.

One recommendation, though: Play both on the highest difficulty settings possible. They are scarier that way, and the challenge was just right for me, although 2 was slightly easier in my opinion.

• Lemming says:

What madness is this about DS games not being horror? Is this some kind of made-up-on-the-spot horror snobbery? They are horror. THIS IS NOT ARGUABLE. Whether you believe it is good horror or not, is of course, your opinion.

• jjujubird says:

Horror games definitely have to be HARD to be scary so I agree with playing Dead Space on hardest setting. A good example is ravenwood (or whatever the name was.. been a while) in Half Life 2, those things that run really fast at you and scream wouldn’t be scary if they didn’t have the ability to fuck you up if you don’t dispose of them quickly.

2. rocketman71 says:

I’d buy DS2 if it wasn’t EA and they hadn’t snubbed (again) PC gamers by only releasing the DLC on consoles.

3. DrWatson says:

Now Lewie’s gone, will GMG start getting a look-in? Lewie hates Green Man Gaming for some reason.

Meanwhile, Worms Reloaded, Just Cause 2, Virtua Tennis 2 are 75% off, Both LEGO HP games are 60% off and Deus Ex: HR, DOW II and Space Marine are 50% off right now on GMG…

(I should clarify for the sake of fairness that I work at GMG, just trying to share the deals :) )

• bill says:

Don’t worry. I love you. You are lovely.

PS/ Thanks for letting me trade in some games to get Bastion for free! Maybe I’ll have time to play it someday… feel sad now…

• DrWatson says:

We love you too Bill <3

• Premium User Badge yhancik says:

On a side note, GMG should make more obvious what is a daily deal and what isn’t. It’s only by checking the forum that I understood the deals featured on the top of the homepage are 24 hours offers, (especially since only the one on the top right corner displays a timer). The product page should mention that too, like Steam (considered it’s already an obvious inspiration ;) ).

• Premium User Badge Coren says:

I’m not quite clear on why Lewie avoids talking about GMG either, but that’s where I got some of the best deals during this year’s sales period. So I’d still recommend people check them out and make up their own minds.

Now I’m very tempted by the Lego Harry Potter games, but the fact that they don’t activate on Steam is holding me back for now. I don’t mind purchasing games from other services, but it’s awfully convenient to have all your games in one place.

• Tams80 says:

You could add a shortcut to them in Steam. You might have to have Capsule running at the same time, but meh.

Or use Evolv.

• Premium User Badge Coren says:

Oh, yes, I know I can add external games to Steam. But it’s not the same! No auto-updates, no extra game info, no re-downloading straight from the servers in case something goes wrong…
      It’s just that, with the ongoing switch from Direct2Drive to GameFly and the accompanying fear over lost games, I feel “safer” when I can activate games from different e-tailers over Steam.
      I’ve bought F.E.A.R.3, Space Marine and Hard Reset on GMG, and they all activate on Steam. Handy. And oh so reassuring.

(Of course, if Steam ever disappears, my world ends.)

• Simon Hawthorne says:

Could one of the RPS team please explain the exclusion of GMG? Even a search on Savygamer doesn’t bring up a post explaining their exclusion – there seems to be a few posts when there are especially terrific deals (free, 1p, etc), but none about good deals.

If there’s a reason they’re excluded, that would a) allow consumers to make their own decisions based on the facts and b) allow GMG to possibly correct whatever problem they may have caused.

• Phantoon says:

I think I remember Lewie having an issue with one of the companies in the past, it may have been GMG.

• DrWatson says:

Simon: I wouldn’t like to speculate on the reason, they are his own after all.
      I believe we have tried to reach out to Lewie before though, to no avail – but would still like to!

• invisiblejesus says:

No idea about Lewie’s feelings towards GMG, but I’d definitely start buying from you guys again if you could get ahold of the folks at Visa and get them to stop flagging you as a foreign gambling site. I haven’t been able to buy from you guys for a while now because Visa won’t process the transaction and I don’t want to mess around linking my Paypal account to my bank account.

• Megadyptes says:

I picked up Lego Batman for pretty cheap on GMG. Traded in some game I forgot that I bought ages ago on sale which knocked £1 off the price :toot:

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Couldn’t give two hoots what Lewie does on his own site (which is still a good game-offer resource, by the way). But for RPS itself to continuously accept such obvious personal embargoes (GMG or otherwise) within their own hallowed pages seems bloodycrazystupid.

Still, Their choice of course.

Regardless, viva la budget gamery!

• Dominic White says:

When Lewie mentioned GMG for the first (and last) time ever, he rambled a bit about how he hates the trade-in idea and I think he just ignored the site ever since.

• Jim Rossignol says:

“Could one of the RPS team please explain the exclusion of GMG?”

As I understand it GMG are not excluded in any way.

• BarneyL says:

Jim: Bargain Bucket February 19th 2011 FIrst page of Comments.

Lewie Procter says:
      02/19/2011 at 13:09

I guess I should probably address this point. Not linking to GMG in the bargain bucket and on SavyGamer is a specific choice I have made.

I would not encourage people to use them.

• Juan Carlo says:

Yo RPS, why you hate GMG so much?

What they ever do to you?

They just trying to sell games and bring love to the world for everyone (and also cuddles as well), yet you hate on them?

Why?

It make no sense to me why you would want to hate those who only want to bring love (and also cuddles) to the world.

Is it because you hate love? And also cuddling? And you wish to fight against love/cuddling in all their forms? Is that it?

In lieu of a response I shall assume that this is the case.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

The plot thickens! As I understood it, Lewie had little confidence in the business model and so was worried that people would lose games when GMG disappeared. If that was the case, then I’d say they’ve been around long enough to at least make that less likely and it was never a worry for the non-trade in games. I’ve certainly had no issue with them.

• Dominic White says:

Disabling vsync is only half of the solution to get Dead Space working properly. The other half is enabling it again.

The in-game Vsync is utterly broken and will reduce the game to under 30fps no matter what, plus several frames of actual delay before you can do anything. It makes the game control horribly. Disable that in-game.

Now, the game will run at too high a framerate and the mouse will be squirly and unpredictable. So you need to force Vsync back on in a way that isn’t broken. The solution is a little tool called D3DOverrider in the Rivatuner pack here:

Use that to force Vsync and triple-buffering on and the game will work like a dream now.

4. Monkeh says:

I’d buy Dead Space 2 if Dead Space 1 didn’t control like a turd on the PC, giving us slow and sluggish controls with the mouse is just lame.

• siegarettes says:

I thought that the controls of the first were fine. That said, I can see why many disliked it. The second one’s controls are a lot tighter. It feels much closer to a proper shooter.

• airtekh says:

If it’s any consolation, the devs must have realised this for the sequel.

The M+KB controls in Dead Space 2 work perfectly.

• Alexander Norris says:

If you had vsync on in DS1, there was a bug that screwed up mouse controls. With vsync off, the controls were a tad too sensitive, but were pretty playable.

The sensitivity issue is completely gone from DS2, which controls beautifully with a mouse and keyboard. I think the vsync bug might still be present because it’s more of an engine limitation, though.

• qizarate says:

the M+K controls in DS1 were totally fine for me after turning vsync off. I might also add that you can adjust the mouse sensitivity in the options menu.

• mwoody says:

Dead Space 1 had a bug where having VSync on screwed up the game interface completely, making it control like your character is drunk. The bug was so widespread that it’s really common to hear people talk about the terrible controls as a reason they wouldn’t play Dead Space 2. I believe it was originally fixed in a patch, however.

Which makes it all the more amazing that the exact same bug appeared AGAIN in Dead Space 2. It’s one of gaming’s great mind-boggling fuckups.

In both cases, the solution is simple: disable vsync. If, like me, you hate doing that, try turning it off and then test it to see how it’s supposed to control. Then try forcing it on with your video card drivers and see if that circumvents the problem while still controlling the way it’s meant to.

• bfandreas says:

I just checked Steam. They had Dead Space 1 for €2.50.
      I explained to my flat mate that his Star Wars MMO(dunno the name of that thing but he tried to recruit me for it…I am done with MMOs) session might become quite choppy.
      He said €2.50 yould very much mean that my game download would become quite choppy.
      That’s a steal!
      These past weeks Steam has been an amazing source of games I never played and now own for the price of half a packet of cigarettes.
      Although time seems to be quite short I think the money I spent on Bastion and Trine was the steal of the century.

A couple of days ago TB got asked if game prices wnet up. As a veteran of the 8bit erea I can tell you that that question was wrong unless you are quite insane. And as a PC gaming veteran I can tell you that buying directly on release borders on moronic.

• johnpeat says:

VSYNC only fixes the problem for some people and it doesn’t stop the controls in the menus being ‘awful’ anyway.

The problem is that DS1 was aimed at consoles (so no framelimiter) and they tied mouse speed into the framerate. On a decent gaming PC, DS1′s framerate will vary ENORMOUSLY (from 90s to 200s on a mate’s PC – from 60-120 on mine) which means the apparent speed of the mouse varies too (thus it feels like you’re going from zero-grav to treacle!).

VSYNC ties the framerate to 30/60/75 and thus makes the mouse feel consistent – if you then fiddle with the in-game acceleration and your mouse’s DPI (you do have a decent mouse – yes?), you can usually make it work ‘sort of’ – but it’s not a proper solution and it’s not always possible to make it feel like a proper PC game should (esp on older PCs and very new ones who are at the extremes of the FPS curve!)

Another problem is the fact that guy you’re controlling appears to be some sort of cripple who’s shat himself. This, allied with a controller, feels like someone in a heavy spacesuit (maybe :@) ) – but with the mouse/keyboard it’s like controlling a drunk even with the controls ‘working as well as possible’.

360 Controllers work with DS1 ofc – it even auto-switches the legends on the help when you plug-in/remove the controller (kudos for that) – maybe you just cave-in and use the controls the game was created for?

• Dominic White says:

Repeating this comment from above, because it’s relevant here, too:

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

I’m not sure about ATI cards, but you can force V-sync alongside Triple Buffering in NVIDIA Control Panel, which comes with video drivers by default. No need to download anything else.

• johnpeat says:

Interesting what Dominic says – my old PC only ran DS1 at 40-50fps anyway, so VSYNC capping at 30 wasn’t surprising – but my new one runs it at 75+ and it’s STILL capping at 30 (I suspect ‘VSYNC’ means ’30FPS’ to DS1)

*heads off to try to force it in other, less retarded, ways*

*is back!*

OK – you can force VSYNC in the ATI CC (always on option) – but it’s moody, esp in W7 64 – and doesn’t work with DS1 at all, as far as I can tell (there are a few other games which similarly can’t be forced in that way).

Rivatuner/D3DOverrider are popular solutions to this but the software is kinda old, unsupported and moody about running on W7 under UAC it seems (refuses to install unsigned drivers) so I’m not faffing about with it…

RadeonPro did the job tho – setup a profile for DS and it’s locking the FPS to 150 with odd drops to 75 – game looks better, moves better and the control is better.

5. Premium User Badge Llewyn says:

“And all the while, all the while, I still hear that call / To the land of gold and poison that beckons to us all”

Maybe the two of you should write Lewie a letter telling him how his cowardly flight from your struggle to southern riches has disappointed you. Or maybe not.

More relevantly, if buying from Impulse in the UK bear in mind that they will actually charge you $24.99 for AC regardless of what price is actually displayed, and that this is subject to a foreign currency transaction charge on many (all?) debit/credit cards. Still a decent deal, but not £16 good.

• Premium User Badge dog says:

+1 point for the New Model Army quote :)

• Bostec says:

I’m with the halifax and I get charged £1.50 (on top of what ever I buy) everytime I buy anything in dollers or any other currency for that matter. It really pisses me off. Is there some kind of other bank or card I could use that doesn’t incur this day light robbery?

• johnpeat says:

@Bostec It’s not just the bank you’re with but it’s often specific to the type of account you have with them.

My partner must have the same account as you – she gets the £1.50 per transaction fee too.

There are other accounts with Halifax which don’t charge it tho – ditto other banks have accounts with varying fees for foreign transactions.

The real solution is to use PayPal wherever possible – I know, they’re the devil, but they do all currency conversions before it hits your bank so there’s no ‘charges’ in that respect.

As a rule of thumb, the lower-end the card (Electron->Visa Debit->Visa etc.) – the more charges you’ll see for stuff like this – but the only proper solution is to go into the branch and ask them.

• Bostec says:

Cheers for that. I use Electron which is probably the lowest of the low in terms of bank accounts so yeah it figures I get charged with the fee. Time to do some research methinks.

6. limboing_leper says:

Oh wow, I never got a chance to finish the Gamecube version of XIII. I guess it would be too much to ask for the pc one to have online multiplayer?

• thegooseking says:

I never tried the online multiplayer, but it was through ubisoft’s online service. I don’t know if they’re still supporting it, but I doubt it :(

• ColOfNature says:

That said, it also supports LAN play so you could play using Hamachi (or whatever the cool kids are using for VPN these days).

7. Alexander Norris says:

Everyone buy the Dead Space bundle if you don’t already have them, as long as you’ve enjoyed RE4/5 at any point in your life (especially if you enjoyed RE4/5 despite the fact that you can’t move while shooting – you can move while shooting in Dead Space!).

Also, for shame, gents. There’s a few titles worth mentioning here: http://www.getgamesgo.com/category/cheap-as-chips

Alpha Protocol for £3.50, Medieval II Total War Gold (ergo with the expansion that lets you play all the mods) for £2.50 and Red Orchestra 1 for £2.50.

• Arona Daal says:

Tried it two times, they do not accept Paypal for Red Orchestra,only Credit Cards.

8. BarneyL says:

I don’t see the Arkham CIty deal as a particularly good price, it’s been lower than that in several places (most notably Greenman Gaming) and I’m sure it will drop below that again.
    Not a deal yet but I believe there’s another Indie Gala bundle coming this week, I quite liked the games\music mix of the last one.

9. Persus-9 says:

Worth noting that version of XIII is not compatible with Vista or 7. I don’t know if there is a good patch to make it work available but if you have Vista or 7 and want it to work without fiddling then there is a Vista and 7 compatible version on GOG for $5.99. Personally I tried to get it working with little success a couple of years ago and then I rebought it in GOG’s latest Christmas sale.

10. Premium User Badge Colonel J says:

Beamdog has 75% off all the Men of War games, similar price to the Steam Christmas sale.
    MoW $3.75, Red Tide $6.25, Assualt Squad and Vietnam are $8.75, Vietnam Special Edition is $10.

Beamdog are not good at saying up-front what DRM their stuff has. I assume these will have SecurROM (the Gamersgate versions do) and may or may not also need the slightly crappy but inobtrusive Beamdog client to run them after download, you may want to check.

• Arona Daal says:

The first MOW is about 2 Coins at http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/men-of-war

btw: Try this site for Bargains http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Its Superduper!

• Premium User Badge Colonel J says:

Wow, that’s the best deal list site I’ve seen. I’m trying not looking at it again though, I’m attempting a ‘no new games’ buying moratorium of nothing new except Skyrim in at least the next 6 months.

Yeah the base MoW is and has been cheaper elsewhere. Many like me got Red TIde for free from GMG recently too. Decent prices on Assault Squad & Vietnam though, about the cheapest they’ve been if only by pennies.

11. asshibbitty says:

Rise of Flight having a sale, most planes $2.99. If you haven’t played the game yet this is the time to give it a try. Starter version is free. It has an excellent tutorial, the visuals are better than ever, the new career mode, the sky, the clouds.

• tentaclesex says:

I picked up a bunch of craft last night. That Fokker monoplane is awesome.

• Zenicetus says:

I have almost all the planes, so I’m going to fill in a few of the field mods. And the scarf… gotta have the scarf, and the handgun… although that package isn’t part of the sale.

Here’s a video — a bit on the romantic side, but still nicely done — that shows what the game looks like, if anyone here hasn’t seen in-game footage:

12. Dana says:

Dead Space 2 is free on Amazon if you got the 5$ discount coupon from the Winter Sale.

13. Tams80 says:

Is Just Cause worth getting. I have 2, but can’t play it at the moment as my laptop can’t run it.
    Also is Racers Islands: Crazy Racers any good?

• DrGonzo says:

Well I know someone who still insists that the first is better than the second due to the way the parachute controls.

But for some reason the first game runs like crap on my computer, where the second runs flawlessly maxed out. I have an intel quadcore running at 3.0ghz, 4 gigs of ram and an AMD6870 for comparison.

I really don’t think it should be running that badly for me, hopefully someone else on here can give an idea of how it ran for them.

• Premium User Badge yhancik says:

I only remember trying the Just Cause 1 demo back then, and the controls were in general terrible to the point of making the game frustrating to play. But maybe it was also due to the fact that it was a bit slow (although it doesn’t seem to have improved much ;) ).

14. Premium User Badge yhancik says:

“MASTERTRONIC Deus Ex: Complete Edition”

Oh, that feels weird. Most games I played on my CPC464 were Mastertronic games, a brand I haven’t heard of since then.
    (and so I can’t help but imagine the games coming on a cassette, with a 5-minutes loading screen displaying line by line <3)

• Premium User Badge jaheira says:

Did you play the cowboy game called “Kane”? Best Mastertronic ever!

• Premium User Badge yhancik says:

Never sadly, but I just looked at a video and it seems fun :D

I have great memories of Finders Keepers, Fly Spy, and the music of Hyperbowl by David Whittaker

• LionsPhil says:

“Complete Edition” is a pretty dang weird name, even before DX3 was announced; it’s not like either of the first two had paid expansion packs (what we used to call DLC back when it wasn’t crap).

Incidentally, 97p is probably actually worth it to try out Invisible War. The game mechanics are crap but the writing mostly survived.

• wu wei says:

I would love to see a modern Finders Keepers. I’d like to believe it would be a lot like Beyond Good & Evil.

15. Skabooga says:

I get the sneaking suspicion that the only stores I would be able to pick up Deus Ex at for its deal are across an ocean. What a shame.

16. Wulf says:

I’m totally okay with Dead Space. It doesn’t glorify the proceedings (you’re actually quite insane!) and the things you’re combating are mindless drones, controlled remotely by a hivemind elsewhere. (This is covered by the story. And I’ve gone so nerdy about the story, I watched the bloody film, the animated shorts, and I uncovered and decoded all the secret stuff in the first game. So I actually knew a lot of what 2 ‘revealed’ early on. Which was kind of funny, frankly.)

But it’s not just Dead Space (and 2) being inoffensive, but it’s… clever. Instead of just being Mr. Idiot-With-A-Gun, you actually have these tools which shoot shapes/planes of damage, as Tycho so eloquently put it. It’s peculiar and unusual. It’s like a thinking man’s zombie game. In fact, I daresay it’s almost exactly that. And yet more than that, I dig its aesthetics. Dead Space, and 2, have a really unique aesthetic that feels futuristic. That’s important.

I’m sorry, but a lot of Sci-Fi games just aren’t convincingly futuristic to me. Mass Effect only barely gets by but that’s because it’s near future, and they make a bunch of questionable jumps to pull that off. If Mass Effect had been any further into the future, it would have been cheesy. I think that it’s actually hard to get the feel of Sci-Fi right, in a way that is convincing, especially to a nerd. This is why I often prefer fantasy over Sci-Fi, because fantasy is easier to get right. Fantasy, so long as it’s internally inconsistent, can use any rules. Sci-Fi doesn’t have that luxury.

But I genuinely feel that Dead Space (and 2) pulls off the Sci-Fi vibe beautifully, right down to the in-world and damned convincing holographic interfaces. That almost all of the UI is handled in-game is a triumph for the developers. There are some instances of bad design i can think of in Dead Space (and 2) where the designers dropped the ball a bit, but they’re not really a big deal. And at that price, I can honestly recommend both games if you haven’t played them.

They’re worth it even just for the aesthetics. But also worth it for the mind-bending, conspiracy laden storyline. If you like that sort of thing. I will warn you though, and this is something I should warn you of. Dead Space is an investment. If you get these two games, and you haven’t played them, then you should also get the animated shorts (which are free), and the film. Watch the shorts, then the film, then play Dead Space 1, then 2.

Also, when playing Dead Space 1, either make an effort to figure it all out, or check out some of the threads out there on Dead Space 1, just so that you’re in the loop. It’s worth it though. I’ve rarely seen a game pull off something like that, and it’s very involving. There are so many secrets in Dead Space. All of the secrets.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Amazingly, I totally agree with Mr. Wulf. Hooray. The point about the asthetic is a good one: the booming future gothic/industrial architectire is undoubtedly influenced by the first Alien movie, but it’s done with such apolmb that it feels totally unique here, and credible.

This is backed up nicely by the sound design too, which is astonishing in both games. Can’t recommend them enough.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

I’ve played 2 hours of Dead Space. So far it’s quite a spectacle of clichés and unrealised potential. The former goes to the whole introductory part of the game and major plot points, laughable attempts at being a horror game with all the tricks and methods that’s been done to death in cinema and previous games, and, well, aesthetics, no matter how coherent it all looks. The latter goes to the actual meat of the game, which is, of course, gameplay. As virtually always the case with games now, a great setting is in no way backed up by gameplay. Entrapped on a slowly dying ship infested with all kinds of monsters would’ve been absolutely great and terrifying if none of it was scripted. Have a set beginning and the end (or, better, a couple of endings), but let the player run free in the middle.

Why make the main character an engineer just for the sake of plot? Provide him with a variety of tools a future engineer deserves, and not just futuristic weapons disguised as soldering iron or whatever. Let the actual player solder doors, cut new ones, make jury-rigged weapons, ammunitions and traps, and so on. That’d play very well with non-scripted monster behaviour and constantly changing environments due to the ship’s going out of order.

Overall, at the heart it’s a terrible and banal ‘horror’ console action game, with all the good (not much) and bad that comes with it.

Loved the voice acting, though.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I’m always baffled when people dislike the Dead Space games so strongly, but it seems like loads do, so fair play.

Seems like horror games/films/books/etc. divide opinion more than practically any other genre. Interesting that.

Not sure what it has to do with consoles though.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

It’s an embarrassingly linear action game with bad controls that heavily relies on scripting to try and hide its mechanical dullness.

And it has kind of mediocre writing and cookie-cutter horror setpieces, if you want to defend it from the non-game criticism point of view.

These kinds of games thrive and are mostly cherished on consoles – platforms they’re primarily developed for – and then get ported to PC.

• Wulf says:

The “I can’t believe I agree with Wulf” thing is an RPS meme. You should be too intelligent for memes. Take things on a point for point basis. You’ll find that you agree/disagree with people on a variety of topics, and there’s rarely ever one person that you’ll disagree over everything over, and even then, that’s probably just being contrarian.

And if nothing else, I do readers the service of actually thinking my points out and putting some worth into them by showing that I’ve done just that. I don’t tend to say anything lightly, anything at all. Perhaps it’s because I have opinions and I don’t care for the populist opinion. I’m not running for Prime Minister or President, after all. And frankly, I think it’s more important to have your own opinion rather than the popular one. Otherwise, why do you exist?

If you speak the exact words of another, word for word, then you’re just a clone, a facsimile, and an expendable person. You’re no more sapient than a machine running a program that records and plays back. I have my own opinions, sometimes they’re going to be popular, sometimes they’re not, sometimes they’ll just be popular with one group and not another. But that’s because they are opinions, not just me trying to win some popularity contest.

• Wulf says:

@Doesn’tmeananything – First

It seems like you’re completely misunderstanding what Dead Space is. Dead Space was never really a horror film in the sense you’re making it out to be and it never tried to be. So you’re looking at it from an obviously wrong perspective which is going to colour your view of the game.

See, it’s supposed to be an action film with a sense of isolation. I don’t see Alien as being a ‘horror film’ so much, but that’s what Dead Space was going for. I really don’t get the horror vibe that other people seem to be getting. Sure, there are jumpy moments, but that doesn’t make for a horror film.

Unless you classify Alien as a horror film, but that would be bizarre. Alien is… surprise, surprise, a Sci-Fi action film with a sense of isolation.

And why not make the main character an engineer? Were you sore at it because he wasn’t a buff space marine? Because that would be a little sad. I mean, that would be like hating on Half-Life for Gordon Freeman being a nerd rather than an ex-navy seals or somesuch. And furthermore, his engineer role has gameplay potential – the weapons he uses are very unorthodox. They’re more tools than weapons in a lot of cases.

They thought this out.

Oh. And no, they weren’t modern weapons at all, as weapons they were clumsy and awkward, and no one would want to use them as a weapon. This is because… *pause for breath.* the main character is an engineer.

You’d expect futuristic weapons to be hitscan things with seeking bullets. I don’t know what game you were playing but what Isaac was using sure as hell didn’t feel like futuristic weapons.

I have my doubts that you even played Dead Space at this point. If you did, then don’t pull points out of thin air. It’s unbecoming.

Oh, and you DO jury-rig weapons. That’s what the work-bench is for.

…did you play Dead Space? Again, serious doubts.

Oh, and there’s a PC Master race sentiment to finish your post off on, because you just hate them console gamers and dere stoopid console games, don’cha? :|

@Doesn’tmeananything – Second

Why is linear bad? You need to actually make a case for that before you say somehting like that. That’s like saying to you that you’re embarrassingly alive. How so? Is Saints Row: The Third embarrassingly sandboxy? Some people like linearity.

And how is the writing mediocre? How is it cookie-cutter? I mean, trying to trap something in a stasis field via hacking doesn’t seem cookie-cutter to me. I think you’re just buzz-wordin’ it up, yo.

Oh, and it’s finished with the standard PC Master Race sentiment. Lovely. Really, what’s wrong with console games? All this console hating is just putting massive dents in your credibility.

To be honest, I think your username is incredibly apt, here. You’re just hating a game that it doesn’t even sound like you’ve played.

And you’re doing it just to look cool.

PRO-TIP: You’re not looking cool.

- Conclusion.

I have no problem with people hating on a game, but do it for valid reasons. Don’t do it with buzzwords, and don’t make it look like you’ve never played the game by making up points that are actually outright lies when compared against the game (such as the thing about not being able to jury-rig weapons).

Really, be better than this. You obviously have some deep-seated motivation and need to hate on Dead Space, but tell me the REAL reason, rather than all of this smoke and mirrors nonsense. I can handle your real opinion. Just tell me the honest reason as to why you didn’t like it, I’d find it much more honest and believable, I’m sure.

But don’t mind me. Continue being hip and tell it like it is, mang.

• johnpeat says:

On the topic of the story – it’s just Event Horizon with more zombies – and a lot of the ‘writing’ is utterly superfluous (in fact almost all of it is).

End of the day, none of it is steering your path – you have a preset list of tasks to do and you’ll probably spend most of the game whacking ‘B’ to get Breadcrumbs to see where to go next.

One thing I would highlight is DS is the sound design tho – it’s utterly amazing – infact I think it creates FAR more horror than the ‘lookalike’ enemies and locations ever could. It really is worth playing with a decent sound setup and bathing in what’s obviously been a labour of love for someone (if the gameplay were in the same league it would be the best game ever, in fact).

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

@Wulf

Okay, let’s see here.

From what you’re saying it seems that the game is confused by which genre it should belong to. Sure, the parallels with action films are obvious, but there are plenty of horror tropes as well. The characters are confined in a relatively small space, darkness is prevalent, there’s a sense of impending danger (which the game ineffectively tries to make the player feel), the monsters have the standard repulsive, nightmarish design, there are dead babies and every time an enemy is on screen, it’s accompanied by annoyingly loud and shrill sounds. If it’s an action game, why have these ‘jumpy moments’ at every single step? No, this game wants to be a proper horror game and not just one with a sense of isolation.

Then you follow with a ridiculous interpretation of what I said about the main guy being an engineer. Sure, when I said I wanted more gameplay consequences of having to play this quite an unusual and interesting role, I was hoping to play a space marine! Got me there, ‘mang’. Jesus Christ. And unorthodox weapons being what, exactly? Plasma Cutter which is a fancy model for a standard handgun? Oh, is it a flamethrower? No, must be that assault rifle. In any case these so-called tools server one purpose – to kill.

As to the remark about clumsy weapons, it’s done, as johnpeat duly noted, solely to increase difficulty and possibly tension during fights, further shifting towards horror genre. Absolutely the same way it’s done in RE4/5.

Moving on, how can you even call jury-rigging this upgrade system? You have one resource to increase stats of literally any equipment you have. It’s sloppy and boring. Not like you can take a hunk of metal, sharpen it into a bayonet and solder it onto the flamethrower or anything like that.

And, hey, I got my ‘buzz-words’. you have your own shameful internet slang, so it’s seems pretty fair. But if I’m not to use them, I’ll say that everything I saw plot-wise – from the premise to a bit of a mid-development – didn’t stand out and was definitely done elsewhere. Same story with the set pieces, which again was already mentioned here, from the ‘guy gets his head blown up on the other side of the window’ to ‘a dead body falls from the ceiling’. And each is bound to have that annoying shrill sound effect.

Now that it’s over with tangential stuff, let’s discuss what makes game a game. The gameplay. The unique thing about this medium is interactivity. A game is primarily a system or set of rules that allow for emergent gameplay, player agency and ludonarrative. And linear games such as this one exclude everything that is special about the medium, so players end up with a set story that everyone will play through mostly the same way and this predictable reflex-oriented shooter.

Oh, and way to latch onto something that isn’t there with your PC master race wank. I’ve clearly said ‘these types of games’ meaning linear action games of little substance. Recent examples – RE5 and WH40K Space Marine. While not many console game interest me, I do not think that PC is the only worthy gaming platform.

As an added bonus, I won’t end my post with a hilariously clueless personality analysis.

• Kaira- says:

@ Wulf

If you think Dead Space has good sound design, you should play Silent Hills. Dead Space is nothing compared to those.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Dear Wulf: Thanks for the lecture. I think the reason people find themselves surprised when they agree with you is that most of the time your posts are patronising and conceited, and you appear to think it’s okay to hijack a comment thread with an overlong essay about how great you are and how everyone else is an opinionless robot.

It’s not a meme, it’s just a lot of people fed up with you. Sorry for going off-topic.

17. DickSocrates says:

I did play Dead Space and thought it was pants. Got about 3 hours in.

The kind of game you play for a bit, think ‘hmm, not sure’ and then you forget to ever boot up again. I think if I forget a game I played the night before exists, there’s a problem. Resident Evil clone without any of the charm.

• johnpeat says:

I’m not a huge DS1 fan – for me it was a series of relatively obvious “puzzles” (not really worthy of the title) connected with some lookalike mazes and the ever-present possibility of monsters smashing in from anywhere at any time.

You could approach that with the suspense and tension the developers hoped you would – or you could approach it with the common-sense attitude of “shit is going to happen, lets just get around this place as quickly as possible and deal with whatever goes down”.

When you stop walking around like a scared mouse afraid to move forward and simply attack the levels with gusto, the game’s horror disappears and it turns into a combat game – abeit one with relatively shit controls.

The difficultly level really does come from the appalling lag between you trying to do anything and the game doing it – once your character is doing one animation (reloading or swiping at something) he’s utterly unable to do anything else until it’s over. This is particularly laughable in some cases where you’re standing on a health pack but cannot pick it up because you’re slightly moving or whatever.

The RPG elements are thin-as-paper really and the little scenes they use to ‘add horror’ (people trapped behind glass being murdered, usually) start to become annoying and crass once you’ve accepted that weird monsters can appear from anywhere at any time anyway.

People have compared it to System Shock or Amnesia — people need to go to Specsavers I think. There are vastly better horror games – Project Zero has more scary in it’s first 10 mins and it NEVER resorts to obvious tropes like stuff behind doors/leaping-in windows etc.

It is pretty tho…

• Juan Carlo says:

I don’t know what “pants” means, but I will say that I fucking hated “Dead Space.”

FUCKING.

HATED.

DEAD SPACE.

The gameplay is repetitive, slow, and terrible-it’s just the same monsters jumping out and saying “boo” over and over and over.

It’s exhibit one in my case for the idea that video game critics will like any game (no matter how shitty) as long as there is some rudimentary psuedo-RPG system by which you can upgrade your armor/weapons. For some reason video games critics have come to associate the idea of upgrading things with “depth”—so you could have the shittiest gameplay ever (where, you trudge slowly and endlessly through similar tunnels killing the exact same monsters over and over and over–as is the case with “Dead Space”), but as long as you stick a kiosk in the game where the player can upgrade their shitty weapons/armor to slightly less shitty weapons/armor, then critics will rave about how awesome your game is.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Perhaps they just liked a game that you didn’t. Which is more plausible?

• johnpeat says:

When I see a shop/workbench/upgrade system which allows to me choose whether to increase my firepower/armor/skills as I see fit, what I think is…

“Ah – if I can upgrade anything in any order then the game must be completable whatever I choose to do – or indeed – even if I do nothing”.

Once you realise that, it really is just like asking you if you’d like to change your hairdo of the colour of your gun – it’s pointless because it doesn’t affect your ability to complete the game in any way – it’s window-dressing at best.

In an open-world scenario (Fallout 3) it’s less prescriptive perhaps, because your choices simply shape where you go and when – but in a resolutely linear game like DS1, it’s obvious to anyone with half-an-ounce of sense that the upgrade system is unnecessary and you can do what you like because it doesn’t really matter (they’d not let you paint yourself into a corner, after all).

• johnpeat says:

It’s actually worth noting that I think I got more fun AND fear out of Dead Space Extraction on the Wii

The WII! A rail shooter on the WII!!! :)

• suibhne says:

@johnpeat: I’m not following your logic re. the workbench at all. As in, not one bit.

Yes, it could be as you described. But it could also be the case that the game offers a wide variety of possible approaches to combat (because many of the different guns really are quite different from one another – even more so in DS2), and you can’t possibly optimize more than about 3 of them in a single playthrough even if you’re a rabid completionist, so the game allows you to choose which style suits you and then optimize that. How is this approach somehow destroying your power of choice? It seems to me rather the opposite – even tho, yes, you can finish the game with pretty much any set of guns.

I’m not saying you have to personally find that type of choice interesting. For example, I can’t account for the fact that I found that type of choice totally dull in Bioshock yet reasonably satisfying in DS1 and 2 (tho I’d guess it has something to do with the fact that I never found Bioshock’s weapons nearly as interesting as DS’s, and then throwing plasmids into the mix meant you always had way too many options and a seriously clunky interface to fight when choosing from among them – plus there’s the fact that DS actually imposed a lot more constraints on you in terms of ammo, how many weapons you could carry, the performance delta between the base weapon and its fully improved version, etc.). But to suggest that all possible choices of weapon optimization are somehow the same is just poppycock.

Btw, the PS3 version of Extraction is better. ;)

• johnpeat says:

I didn’t say it “destroyed your power of choice” – it’s just obvious that if you can choose to upgrade either defense or offense or a mix of both (or neither!!), that the game must allow for you doing that.

That DS1 allows use of Nodes for purposes other than upgrades – and allows purchasing of nodes instead of weapons and supplies – makes this even more obvious.

End of the day, it’s clearly not necessary to change guns, or power up your existing gun, or get a better suit – they all probably help in their own way but none of them can be mandatory because players would end up stuck.

This is the problem when you give people open choices like this – you can’t let people “choose” to make the game impossible to complete and so what you end-up with is nothing less than a different shaped gun or a different coloured suit – and maybe some bits will be a bit easier and other bits a bit harder but the game is probably just tested to be completable with NO upgrades at all – it’s easier :)

p.s. I have to say that if you want to make a game into a miserably boring experience, have different guns with different types of ammo – because that really bores me to death (I’m talking to you too, Bioshock).

18. MythArcana says:

Dominions III is on sale for $47.95 until January 23. Let’s try not to jam up the site with orders in the first hour.

• Doesn'tmeananything says:

Your cynicism about the game’s popularity is spot on, but still, what a great game, that.

• johnpeat says:

“Entertaining you since 1999″ – with the same website, by the looks of it…

You have to worry about someone who’s “Praise” section starts with an article from 2006…

19. Atrak says:

Not sure if somones posted already but – Swift*Stich’s price today is $1

20. jamesgecko says:

Also of note is the Quadtastic Launch Collection for $10 (Normally $22, apparently). http://radiangames.com/?page_id=623

These are the fellows who had Super Crossfire in the last Indie Royale. It looks like it has this stuff in it:
    Slydris (Odd puzzle thing)
    Inferno+ (Gauntlet done up like Geometry Wars)
    Fireball (Geometry Wars: Pacifism)
    Ballistic (Geometry Wars: Geometry Wars)

Interno+ looks like the best thing in there.

• johnpeat says:

Ballistic is a super-polished twin-stick highscore shooter which attracted some hardcore highscorer on XBLIG

Fireball is a nice, simplified take on Every Extend Extra which also has quite a bit of ‘just one more go’ factor.

Inferno is twinstick Gauntlet – what could go wrong there eh?

Slydris is obviously completely new and who knows – my order is in tho, because Luke’s games are always polished and great fun…