Racing Towards Release: rFactor 2 Hits Beta

By Richard Cobbett on January 16th, 2012 at 12:38 pm.

Vroooooooooooom! Wheeeeeeee! Crash! Arse.

Any drivers willing to put their hands in their pockets as well as pedals to the metal can now get hold of the rFactor 2 beta. It’s been out for a few days, so you can check the forums to see how series fans think it’s shaking out and if it’s worth taking an early punt on.

But how advanced a simulation can you expect? Sexy rubber-on-road action follows…

RPS Tips Corner: Drive faster than that if you want to win any races.

There’s still no release date for the finished version, though it’s going to be quite a while off, but this beta does include support for modding and plenty of players have already dived in and started working with it. The basic concept of paying for a beta still seems somewhat odd (though hardly the worst thing that’s happened to the concept since Google held it down and started hitting it with brambles a few years ago) but at least this way you’ll be helping out the developers regardless of whether or not you ever get around to reporting a single bug.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Koozer says:

Faster? Man, is that where I’ve been going wrong all these years?
    An RPS weekly Tips Corner would be amazing.

2. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Like with Microsoft Flight Sim, playing rFactor involved throwing out most of the packaged content (not necesarilly the tracks, but certainly the cars) and using the user generated stuff – how the default cars handle might not be hugely relevant. Better force feedback for mods is still #1 on my list.

3. Chris Evans says:

Certainly looks fun, I think the next year or so is going to be really good for simulation racers on the PC with this and Project CARS

4. applecado says:

I’m in the beta, and I love it. It’s got handfuls of bugs and a pretty crappy framerate, but what’s underneath is a fantastic engine just waiting to be exploited by the mod-groups.

Brill =)

• Bonedwarf says:

You running an ATI/AMD card by any chance? Game has major issues with them it seems.

I did a lot of tinkering. Best way to boost the framerate is turn reflections (both types) off in the game. I almost tripled my framerate doing that on my 6870.

Also suggestions seem to be set your AA, AF etc… In the CC util rather than using the in-game one. And make sure all sliders are over to Performance.

I did that, cranked the game to full in everything and it runs like a dream now.

5. RogB says:

christ, MUTE!

(on topic: impressive tyre deformation!)

6. yhancik says:

They should have slowed down the song to match the video

(also I’m sad the bennyhillifier doesn’t speed up videos anymore)

7. Linfosoma says:

I have the beta and I have to say Im a little disappointed, I know that graphics aren’t everything but rF2 is hilariously behind the curve up to the point of looking cartoonish. And yes, I know it’s made by a team of like 10 people but they are also asking for a price point of about $80 for a lifetime account so you would expect something better.

The cars also drive unrealistically IMO. I know that hardcore simming is all about difficulty, but changing the physics so that cars are undriveable up to the point of being unrealistic really doesn’t do it for me. A real race car with tons of downforce and race tires does not drive like this, simple as that.

Lukily, it seems like this will be a great year for sim racing, pCARS is getting better on each build and we all know that Asseto Corsa is going to kick ass considering how good NKPro was (GTR3 also looks great, but they haven’t released much info yet).

• Pirate says:

Please tell me you played with a steering wheel rather than gamepad (or, god forbid, keyboard).
      As far as I know, no hardcore simulator can be played without a steering wheel. You can sometimes turn on zillion driving assists, but that pretty much makes the car drive itself and defeats the whole point.

• Linfosoma says:

@ Pirate:

Of course I play with a wheel. To be fair, the 60s grand prix car is pretty good, physics on high speed feel pretty good and the FFB is great, I like that you can feel the car going out of control and avoid it if you are quick enough.
      But the Formula Renault? Ugh…If F1 cars really drove like that everybody on those races would be dead by now.

And yes, I know that modding will add lots of great contect and fix most of the complaints, but for once I wish the default content in rFactor was decent too.
      All Im saying is, considering how good the competition is getting, ISI needs to step it up.

• Pirate says:

I knew RPS folks are reasonable :) I wish I had a steering wheel once again.

I wish that we could argue more about how cars should handle in racing simulators, but it’s kind of pointless. Unless you’re a real-life racing driver, neither of us has any solid arguments. My closest experience is a go-kart. You pretty much can’t say: “Game X had better physics then Y” because you don’t know how close to the real thing any of them was.

If you do have some real-life comparison I really envy you.

• Mctittles says:

Have you ever seen that Top Gear episode where Richard Hammond has to drive that F1 car? It looks fairly difficult to me, and that guy has driven other cars fast before…

• Bonedwarf says:

I’m sorry, what? The graphics look fantastic. Cartoonish?

You’re insane.

8. BattleMoose87 says:

How much is it for the non-lifetime licence?

9. tricky2050 says:

The detail in this is amazing. This video convinced me to buy it, Monaco looks stunning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGy7lDtm5G8

• Zeewolf says:

Nice!

This probably won’t be for me (I loved F1 2011, so I’m probably not hardcore enough), but that did look very good. And of course I held my breath from 1:15 to 1:20 (as I do every time I do that bit in F1 2011).

• tricky2050 says:

Hah the close calls end up being the best moments.

These kind of racers are a bit intimidating but if you can stick with it they end up being far more rewarding, at least for me anyway. Just make sure you have a steering wheel.

• Bonedwarf says:

I have wound up in the harbor so many times so far. Monaco is just incredible. I got into simming seriously (as in got a wheel) during my GPL days and RF2 has scratched that itch. Old, dangerous cars around incredibly dangerous tracks.

• tricky2050 says:

Whoops wrong reply

10. alilsneaky says:

What’s the song in the video called?

I like the singing, it’s like Serj Tankian and evanescence had a baby.

11. cassus says:

The old skool F1 cars look so unbelievably cool. And if they’re anything like Grand Prix Legends, they’ll feel spectacular to drive as well. Something about sliding through corners with those things that makes my tummy tingle :)

Comment on this story