Brick-Force Is Also Made Of Cubes

By John Walker on January 17th, 2012 at 1:56 pm.

They're not made of cubes, admittedly.

I dare someone to make a game not out of cubes. Not taking me up on that dare is Infernum, who have just announced their online buildy-shooter Brick-Force is taking sign-ups for its closed beta. Just what in Horace’s shiny toenails is Brick-Force? A trailer below will reveal.

It’s going to be free, it’s going to be in browsers and on phones, and it’s going to be out in the Spring. But you can sign up for the beta now, and watch it moving around below.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. lurkalisk says:

Nothing about this seems at all… Special. And given the apparent nature of this game, that’s a notable weakness.

Granted, I should play it before any genuine reckoning might occur. Like with any title, I hope it exceeds my expectations.

2. Tams80 says:

It looks like a nicer looking Ace of Spades. I’m guessing it’s ‘build level’ then ‘play level’ rather than build and play at the same time. It also looks much smaller.

• Superbest says:

Looks like it has flashier graphics and “prettier” (=more polygons) models.

Notably, it’s not a voxel engine. It doesn’t have the charm of AoS. The first frame of the video made me not want to care, and the subsequent ones only contributed.

3. Chibithor says:

Kind of interesting, but the weapons are as bland as it gets. With such an art style I was hoping for something more exciting, but maybe that’s just me.

4. Craig Stern says:

Is it just me, or does the combat seem painfully slow? It’s like everyone is underwater.

• Eclipse says:

that’s what I was thinking, seems really slow paced… just like minecraft with guns :\ and weapons doesn’t seem to have a great feedback too

• mondomau says:

My sarcasm detector is a little frazzled today, so forgive me if you are joking.

@ Craig Stern – I think the videos are slowing down deliberately at times, CoD style. If you look around 0:24-26, it’s pretty fast.

@ Eclipse – Really? I mean, are you going to start complaining about a lack of bullet drop next? :P

As a more interesting example of the “minecraft clone with a twist” genre, looks like it could be worth a try at least.

5. Tsincaat says:

I wonder if this game will have any team vs team, base vs base action. That’s what I’m most excited for in competitive games with a construction aspect. I find a lot of appeal in trying to construct something that gives me an advantage over my opponents as opposed to building a general level we’re all going to run around in.

6. Jupiah says:

The trailer isn’t very clear on what exactly this is. My best guess is that it’s a team-based first person shooter where everyone works together to build the level from scratch and then they try to kill each other in it?

It sounds very chaotic. Are there rules to how you can place the blocks during the building phase? I’d imagine it might be fun building ambush spots and sniper perches while simultaneously trying to sabotage your opponent’s defenses when playing with friends, but I’d also imagine that trying to get a bunch of random people to work together and build anything useful would be frustrating.

I’m guessing there would also be a free-play mode and options to save maps and skip the build phases. I dunno, it doesn’t look that interesting but I just don’t have enough information to judge accurately.

P.S. Hopefully the aesthetics will change before the final release, currently it just looks like minecraft with lego people. Nothing really unique to stand out.

7. Machinations says:

Can a game that involves a cube style and building be made without someone comparing it to Minecraft? It looks nothing like Minecraft – it actually looks relatively good, unlike Minecraft.

If it is a Capture the Flag style, TF2 class based game, with a build phase (build bases) followed by a capture phase, that could be goddamn amazing.

• Shouldbeworking says:

The article doesn’t mention minecraft at all. If you are waiting for all comments to be devoid of minecraft comparisons, then that could be a long wait indeed.

8. vivlo says:

well, i daresay he said this because the game’s concept, the game’s title, the game’s video screams “Minecraft multiplayer” out loud. So he was referring as to the game itself comparing itself, in its sheer essence, to Minecraft. The “someone” he refers to would be this game.

Comment on this story