Unlock Your Inner Brony In Skyrim

By Craig Pearson on January 19th, 2012 at 5:05 pm.

I'll get my coat. And several other changes of clothes.
Every game has at least one mod that will push their fans to the brink of uninstallling and having a shower. This is Skyrim’s, I fear. We should have known it was out there, we should have protected ourselves. But it’s too late. I’m sorry.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Beelzebud says:

Tonight I’m going to listen to Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Louis CK, and Eddie Pepitone, and remind myself what real comedy is.

2. Danorz says:

mods for every elder scrolls game that usually involve putting dicks on things, and dicks on the dicks and then making the thing with the dick on its dick also have HH boobs with 10″ long nipples and also be some sort of fox that is 11 years old, and THIS, THIS is what you balk at, harden the fuck up

3. The Magic says:

So i just want to ask people… If this was a transformers mod made by a grown woman would it garner the same hatred as a my little pony mod made by (I’m totally assuming for the sake of this argument) a grown man?

I know full well that plenty of women LOVE transformers, but it’s a show aimed at little boys to sell them toys. Surely that is truly perverse… right?

• faelnor says:

The problem is not with custom content based on a fetish or a cartoon show.

The problem is the troubling communitarianism and emulation of back-patting, seemingly immature men, and their growing overabundance in the popular youth-on-the-internet-centric media we use to share. “Bronies” have managed to form a consistent blob of viral and utterly confounding fanboyism, choosing openly to throw in everyone’s faces their belonging to a fictional cartoon caste the likes of which are usually reserved to little girls.

As much as fratty communitarianism is annoying with 4channers, it is annoying with fans of MLP, but beyond that, their limitless naivety and almost uniform open lack of tact, restraint and, dare I say, self-confidence is what makes them, to many, disgusting.

• The Magic says:

Firstly it’s a fallacy to equate bronies with 4channers since atleast half of them dont go to that site but other than that, I dont see how this is any different to other fanboyistic groups.
      Skyrim itself has an absurdly immature back-patting fanbase of viral intent that make an alarming amount of content based on the game or memes extrapolated from the game. How many arrows to the knee have been loosed since Skyrim was released, with nary a care as to what website it hits. Surely that would be considered “throwing it in people’s faces” and if so is the Elder Scrolls community disgusting?

I also dont see how posting pictures or videos on youtube show a lack of self-confidence. Perhaps some show a lack or respect or tact by deliberately going to a part of the internet that has clearly rejected any pony related media and essentially trolling people with it, but to paint all bronies as such is using rather gargantuan brush strokes.

As for naivete, I’m pretty sure “bronies” are well aware that people get all het up about it, but simply don’t care that people like you find them “disgusting.”

Now I’m sure there are bronies who have done some “disgusting” things posting ponies where it’s innapropriate, but the vast majority (pretty much all) of pony related media that i’ve seen is in people’s avatars, or in forum threads specifically made for ponies, or on DeviantArt and Youtube. Perhaps some people will make a quick little one liner reference on this website, but that is incredibly rare and i would hardly call a single harmless in-joke “disgusting”.

EDIT: Oh you edited your post noting that posting ponies are calling oneself as a brony would be to throw it in another person’s face. I guess it all matters in the fashion that it is done. I mean if you told someone that you played PC games and were a big fan of RockPaperShotgun, would that be throwing it in their face?
      You also made a rather odd addition about the show being aimed at little girls and having an expectant audience of the show being little girls. Surely my original post addresses that. Why is My Little Pony singled out for this single demographic ghettoism or “communautarism” as you put it? If we apply that to My Little Pony then why dont we apply that to everything?

• faelnor says:

I’m not equating bronies with 4channers. I’d take a “disgusting” fetishist with good intentions any day over a mindless drone spewing shit.

Most of it is, yes. Tiring, mindless, naive.

As for the rest of your post, and besides you picking on the subjective part (“lack of self-confidence”) which I shouldn’t have used anyway, I can only talk about what I’ve seen and felt, ie. too many ponies brandished like an icon… for what?

ffordesoon says:

Well, I mean, the pony meme started on 4chan, as did the whole brony subculture, so it’s hardly surprising that bronies behave like 4chan people.

But, I mean, I kind of hate all the memes and brony obnoxiousness too, and I quite like the show. Not ironically, and not to be cool. I just like it. You actually do have a point about the internet creating a culture that coddles juvenile behavior, but that’s hardly unique to MLP.

• The Magic says:

I can certainly see why it would be tiresome seeing it all over the internet if you dont watch or enjoy the show, and as long as you dole out negative opinions equally over all fandom then I see no problem in the opinion being said.

I disagree with your opinion but then that’s opinion for you.

• faelnor says:

I watched the first two episodes, and it wasn’t bad. Well-paced, nicely animated, likeable characters, good message. I would definitely love to see my kids watching that show and I could see myself watching over their shoulder (well – if I had kids).

It’s really the whole memetic attitude* coupled to soapy naivety that gets to me.

* which can be said of many things as ffordesoon said. Still, I don’t personally go to 4chan or other sites with high emulation or memetic content, so those usually get past me. In this case though, three of the forums where I regularly post had a “brony affair”. What touched me most was that posters I thought I knew started to come in a completely different light after changing their avatars and posting image macros of ponies whenever they could.

• Dhatz says:

have you seen the image that says multiple women chasing one guy = acceptable, but multiple men chasing one woman = gang rape? World is THAT dumb.

4. laddyman says:

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

5. MegaPigeon says:

poni should poni poni

but seriously, if you haven’t watched the show yet you should. the animation, writing, music and acting are all sublime, and it’s the product of Lauren Faust, so it’s awesome by default (and makes for hilarious irony when people profess their love of PPG and Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends and have an unbridled hatred of all things pony).

also, people raging about cartoon horses is far more cringeworthy than people liking a cartoon better than most things on tv that has cartoon horses in it.

• Grover says:

The obnoxious fans, not what they are fans of (although that is cringe worthy), are why people are getting wound up.

6. ChiefInspectorLee says:

we call *them* the ravagers

7. Jahkaivah says:

Incidentally, does RPS have any plans to do an article on Fighting is Magic when anything playable is released to the public?

Not that I would blame you for being reluctant to do so given the nonsense that we sadly seem to not be above having.

• The Magic says:

I think to not give them coverage because of raging readers would be quite a terrible state of affairs, and something RPS is not known to do. The game certainly looks fun enough to talk about

8. T. J. McCormak - Parent says:

I don’t get it. This is just boring. It’s just a pony flying through the air. A pony! It isn’t even a horse. Or a polat bear. What happens if little Timmy plays this? He’ll go around thinking that pony’s have wings and can fly spreading peace all over the world and being environmentally friendly and making friends with people and sharing cuddles and wont learn that the only right way to do things is a good old fashioned bombing like they used to do back in the day. Honestly, what kind of example do we want to set our children. Apparantly even people the age of my eldest Jimmy, Jr, like this sort of thing. We can’t let out older children be at threat from this pony agenda either. This stuff must be stopped, even if it just boring.

T. J McCormak (Parent)

9. MythArcana says:

Now Skyrim is a true s73@/\/\ release!

*Goes back to playing Vulture Nethack*

10. FunkyBadger3 says:

I had to look up what a brony was. I think that means I win.

ffordesoon says:

I do think it’s funny that pretty much every comment from the bronies in this thread has been totally polite and well-mannered.

“Hello! I enjoy a television show!”

“I HOPE YOU DIE IN A FIRE YOU HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING AAAAAAAAAAA”

“Well, sir, I may disagree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it! Have a lovely day! Cheerio!”

You know?

• Fox89 says:

Sadly mere moments after you said that… it was all ruined :(

ffordesoon says:

Uh, really? I don’t see anything particularly ruinous…

• Woden says:

That touches on the primary source of my fascination with the fandom. I find it endlessly fascinating that an internet subculture can lead its members to become well-mannered and polite. I don’t think that’s ever happened before; certainly never in a subculture as large as the brony culture. It’s the diametric opposite of standard accepted internet behavior (see: John Gabriel’s Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory). Widespread politeness on the internet is an astounding cultural change, and, I think, will wind up being seen as the lasting legacy of the brony culture.

TL;DR: Being a brony makes you a better person, for statistically significant values of “you.”

12. Failcakez says:

Okay okay, so reading all these comments made me really face/palm about the internet. This is a bunch of flamers here, who turn the entire comment page into a huge fucking flame war. Seriously. If you don’t like MLP why are you even here? Why does seeing MLP related stuff on your RSS make you feel agressive? You DON’T HAVE TO download that content if you don’t like it. Also why do you hate on bronies? I’m a girl and I like the show and as a girl I can say: I DON’T THINK MEN LIKING IT ARE GAY OR ANYTHING. And it DOES NOT make you more manry when you don’t like it. Girls who think that way are probably sluts. Sorry to say that ,but yeah… I just feel really insulted with all the hate about ponies. I’m a normal fan and I don’t spamm anyone with it, I just like it and occassionaly draw Fanart for it. And why am I being hated for this now? I didn’t do anything to you, and lot’s of bronies didn’t do anything to you either. There are some bad ones, but not all of them. There are ALWAYS bad ones in any fandom.
    And by the way. I find the “ARROW TO THE KNEE” meme more annoying BY FAR. And do we dislike skyrim because of this? NO.
    Okay so now I became part of the Flame War, but I just had to write that because it makes me sick how immature people are. :x
    I think the mod is funny. NOT BECAUSE OF MY MLP FANDOM, but because its just redicioulous to mix something as FiM with Skyrim. It does SO NOT fit together, that it makes it funny to me.

• TODD says:

Playing “spot the pedophile” is so easy in MLP threads.

• Failcakez says:

I don’t get what MLP has to do with being a Pedophile. Its easier to blame someone watching loli anime for being a pedophile than someone who watches MLP. And not even people watching loli anime are pedophiles most of the time. So how is being a pedo related to liking MLP? o.O

ffordesoon says:

Don’t feed the troll.

• The_Great_Skratsby says:

Well, I physically chuckled.

13. buxcador says:

Wrong song. It should be “By Sword and Shield”, because of “Gearshift found some Vodka” by ZombieZephyr

14. LincolnSmash says:

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the people bitching about MLP make just as big a deal about the show and shit up as many forums and comment sections on websites as the bronies themselves?

ffordesoon says:

Far more, in my experience.

Then again, my experience is limited. I’m sure the show has its hideously annoying and/or downright creepy fans. I mean, I’m also a fan of Joss Whedon and Bioware, and I hate probably ninety percent of both fandoms. Because fandoms are kind of horrible.

• NathanH says:

I have a rough method for determining how much I dislike a fandom. I take the number of people who like the original thing, divide it by the amount of fan fiction. The smaller the number, the more loathsome. Dragon Age leads by a long distance, it turns out.

15. The_Great_Skratsby says:

Not like this RPS.

Not like this.

16. Dances to Podcasts says:

Now how do we tell which comments are real and which are RPS censored?

17. MegaPigeon says:

Hey anyone seen that Adventure Time show?

GOD WHAT SORT OF FAGS LIKE THAT SHOW

DAMN PEDO FURFUG FAGS LIKING SOMETHING

You’ll never catch me doing anything even vaguely related to that show for 5 year old girls.

I’ll be to busy bench pressing cars and arm wrestling grizzly bears.

18. Adriaan says:

So now there is but one thing left to ask… Is Craig Pearson indeed a brony?

19. AMonkey says:

I thought the horribly immature fad that is my little pony would be done by now, how sad I am that I was wrong.

• Dhatz says:

the thing is fads die out, nonfads dont. it’s as permanent as any other comic/animated show fandom. Massivity is the exception, what other fansite has 100 000 000 unique views in one year of existence?

jezcentral says:

I like “Chuck”.

21. dudeglove says:

This brony shit needs to die. There’s nothing wrong with the cartoon in the slightest, it’s the retarded Internet subculture whose bafflingly aggressive determination to carve their niche in society would make the organizers of a gay pride parade blush.

22. Muzman says:

Six Pages of Comments!

Jackablade says:

Excellent work. You’ve flushed out all the Bronies and a significant number of the Arrow in the Knee memetics. Now it’s just a matter of chaining up the doors and razing the thread to the ground. We may lose some good posters caught in the trap, but I think you’ll agree that the casualties will be worthwhile to rid the site of this scourge once and for all.

24. SparkCloud says:

Now I have a reason to buy a $700 laptop and Skyrim. Screw PS3! (still love you PS3)