Blizzard Respeccing The Diablo 3 Beta

By Craig Pearson on January 20th, 2012 at 12:30 pm.

Please nobody fart in here.
“The game’s done, just release it already! Gentlemen: prepare the Onager!” That’s my impression of the angry mob outside Blizzard’s studios, waiting for news of a Diablo 3 release. They want it, but like a monkey gripping a tree in a hurricane, Blizzard are holding tightly onto the beta. They still have a lot to change. A lot. According to game director Jay Wilson’s ‘System Changes’ post on the Diablo 3 site: “We trust in our ability to put out a great game, but we’re not quite there yet.”

So what’s holding them back from greatness? “Crafting, items, core attributes, and inventory”. Blizzard are keen to streamline the game as much as they can, slicing out major elements with a whiff of redundancy. Take the tale of the now cut Mystic artisan: “As we look at the big picture, the Mystic simply wasn’t adding anything to our customization system. Enhancement was really just the socket and gem system with a different name, and it would prolong the release of the game even further to go back to the drawing board and differentiate it, so we’ll revisit the Mystic and enhancements at a later time. Removing her from the game took some time, but it’s nowhere near the efforts that would be required to flesh out a better customization system.”

Crikey! They’re not playing around. Despite not taking much interest in Blizzard games, I do love that they take betas super-seriously. Their games have such a ridiculous level of polish because they’re prepared to iterate over a long period of time, and take difficult decisions. It was rumoured that Diablo 3 was close to release, but with all the changes listed, all of which require more Blizzard’s extensive testing, I can’t see that happening.

Via Eurogamer.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rocketman71 says:

They’re still wrong in what really matters.

2. Teronfel says:

Guess i’ll go play Diablo II then.

• Zyrxil says:

It’s not a real gaming PC unless it weigh 40lbs without the display.

• Brun says:

Only 40? I’m pretty sure mine weighed closer to 75 pounds when I shipped it to my apartment.

3. povu says:

Anything that increases the release gap between Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3 is good news to me.

4. Serge says:

If D3 BETA is anything like WoW BETA, we’re doomed.

• ahluka says:

I’m not familiar with the sentiment. Elaborate or link to some good reading material?

Anyway, I’m less sore about the whole “always online” thing now; WoW is always online and I basically play it like a single player game. I feel kind of silly about kicking up a stink before. I blame mob mentality.

• Icarus says:

But WoW is expressly marketed as an MMO where you share a persistent world with other players. Diablo isn’t; it’s marketed as an ARPG with a strong single-player component. To then have that single-player component still be affected by server lag (especially in hardcore mode where if you die, you lose the character) is pretty much a deal breaker.

• Kdansky says:

D3 is a MMO just as much as Guild Wars is.

• InternetBatman says:

@Ahluka A lot of people played Diablo completely as a single-player game instead of the MMO it’s turning into. The flaws of an MMO are forgivable because the rewards make up for it. Needlessly introducing those flaws into a single-player game, especially one significantly harder than WoW, is a huge mistake.

• Azru says:

I’ve got 99 problems but not being connected to the web while I’m playing games ain’t one. Facts are most people don’t give a damn about D3 being always online because in this day and age with few exceptions everyone can have access to a stable internet connection.

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

@Azru

Just because you, personally, don’t care about it doesn’t mean “most people” don’t care about it.

• Azradesh says:

@ Kdansky

Massively Multiplayer Online Game.

There’s nothing massive about a party of 4 players. Diablo 3 is not an MMO in any form, there’s no persistent and shared world and 100% of the game can be experienced solo.

And yes, Guild Wars 1 is not an MMO, but it’s far closer to one then Diablo 3 will ever be.

• PopeJamal says:

“Facts are most people don’t give a damn about D3 being always online because”

Technically speaking, MOST people don’t care about SOPA. Should I assume that it isn’t a problem as well?

Not that these two things are of equal gravity, but judging the importance of an issue based on whether “Joe Average” is concerned about it is a recipe for trouble in any context.

• Azru says:

@FataMorganaPseudonym
      Obviously it doesn’t. But even if a hundred thousand people (which I find very unrealistic) will decide to not buy D3 simply because they won’t be able to play the game on a train or on the South Pole, 5 milion people will buy it. So I really do think the majority of players do not care. As usual it’s just the vocal minority expressing their unhappiness with some of the features while the majority is content and has no reason to come forward and say “I’m okay with this.” or “I don’t care.”

• aerozol says:

“As usual it’s just the vocal minority expressing their unhappiness”
      You’ll be surprised to hear that the minority in NZ has a cheap, fast internet connection. Same as many other countries. So already we’re talking millions. But I mean, that’s cool, you and your friends and everyone else that you *know* aren’t affected, so I really shouldn’t be vocal about it : (

I have a fast internet connection btw, but if this uses up a lot of bandwidth, I wont be able to afford it.

• Edradour says:

Im not really up to date regarding diablo, ever since they announced there wont be talent trees i greatly lost interest.
      Will it kick you out of the game if you loose your net connection or will it work like starcraft in that it only deactivates achievements if you arent online? With the later i have no problem but if it would kick you/pause whenever you loose connection it would decrease the chance of me actually buying it by a big deal…
      I got a pretty unstable internet connection if my modem doesnt disconnect and wont reconnect until i restart it my router looses the connection and wont reconnect until i restart it and if those to work the dlan im forced to use screws around ( and yes i send in all of those devices multiple times the problem seems to br my provider but they insist they cant detect any problems on their end >.> )

5. spongthe1st says:

To be honest I’m actually in favour of any game studio deciding to hold stuff back on the basis of ‘getting it right’. Having worked in the industry and seen the damage done by the rush to get stuff out as soon as possible we need more of this sort of thing. ‘Done when its done used to be a common mantra’. These days not so much.

• djbriandamage says:

Any studio willing to delay a game “until it’s done” is golden in my books. Half Life 2 was released years behind schedule but it’s so fantastic I replay it annually.

6. Avenger says:

What news of the “constant online connection required for single player” and “cannot pause, ever” problems?

bglamb says:

Is piracy still rampant on the PC? Check!

No chance of them dropping the definitely-not-DRM always on DRM then.

• Kdansky says:

Not about DRM, and to save time, I have written this a few months ago.

Because you, sir, are wrong on the internet! (xkcd)

bglamb says:

Yeah, I understand your point, but I disagree I’m afraid.

I don’t think it’s entirely one thing or the other. The online-only decision naturally supports both revenue-producing aspects of the game. However the lack of an ‘offline’ mode will, I think, benefit their coffers far more due to the lack of piracy rather than stimulating demand on the RMAH, which you claim.

The RMAH may be a prime reason for their decision, but so is piracy, IMO.

• wu wei says:

Wait, you’re saying that my inability to play Diablo 3 without a constant internet connection is so you don’t get penis envy from other people cheating in single player?

He may be wrong, but you may be bat shit crazy.

• Kdansky says:

@wu wei: Pretty much exactly that. Didn’t you catch those news about MW and COD selling by the millions because they appeal to e-penis envy as hard as they can? You personally may not be cynical enough and too self-controlled to realize that the vast majority of people are still governed by ape-subroutines, always going for bigger cars, louder stereos and blonder women.

If anyone can have anything for no effort, stuff is not worth anything. RMAH and no-offline enforces scarcity in a medium where copying is otherwise free.

“However the lack of an ‘offline’ mode will, I think, benefit their coffers far more due to the lack of piracy rather than stimulating demand on the RMAH, which you claim.”
      Are you buying into DRM propaganda now?

bglamb says:

Well, let me put it like this: Diablo 3 is likely to be the only game I buy this year, and I know a lot of other people who are in the same boat.

I just don’t see this horde of apes your talking about. Maybe you do, but we’ll just have to disagree on that I guess!

• Kdansky says:

You only buy a single game a year? I am not sure what you want to imply by that…

I’d recommend buying indie games though. You can get about 10-20 great titles for the same 49$ instead.

• InternetBatman says:

The no-offline mode will be a good business decision. The RMAH will make them millions. But that doesn’t automatically make it a good design decision. It causes several changes in gameplay. Loss of pause and lagspikes are the two largest, and you should have mentioned pause in your article because that’s huge.

But, I think there will be three unforeseen effects. One is a greater influx of gold farmers; I don’t know if you’ve played WoW, but most players HATE goldfarmers. It’s one of the few things they’re united in. Another is the devaluation of your own grinding. Why should you try so hard to get the absolute perfect gear loadout when some jackass can get it with no time expenditure at all? Also, if you’re someone who’s bought the perfect gear, the game can no longer reward you. You can play multiplayer arenas for a while, but the majority of the challenge goes out of single-player once you level cap and have great gear. To ensure that players have to keep on getting great gear, they will have to unnecessarily rebalance the game while releasing yearly expansions, both of which will make your real world investment meaningless.

The problem with that whole set of changes is that ARPGs are not hard to make. It’s hard to get the perfect risk-reward hierarchy going, but Blizzard is going to be interrupting that with the paid marketplace. And you’re only as good as your last work in entertainment fields. How long until someone like Gameloft or Runic or someone else entirely takes their place?

• Nevard says:

You can’t pause in combat but any time you have 2 seconds of time to cast a spell, you can return to the central town hub where there are no monsters and nothing will eat you if you stop paying attention to let the dog out, then teleport straight back to where you where
      Which is only slightly less convenient than pausing

• MrPyro says:

@Kdansky: your counter to the connectivity argument in that article appears to be “Well I have a good connection so who cares?” Other people still have flaky connections that occasionally drop.

3G networks do have fairly good bandwidth, but while travelling can often drop out as you move between towers. And obviously not functional at all on planes.

• Khatzen says:

@Kdansky

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. You claim the lack of effort by “cheating” has a psychological effect on the non-cheaters, thus giving them little reason to play.

I say the lack of effort from people handing over £100 for the best items destroys my will to play. Playing to earn items or playing to earn ingame currency for items is the only logical way to balance the “e-penis envy”.

With their silly real money auction house in mind they could of introduced the more logical system of when someone uses the “Online Auction House” the Blizzard server reads data stored in some form about their items that tells the server where the item dropped/at what date and time/using a specially derived serial code so It can’t be duplicated.

The current system is mostly for DRM purposes, theres no denying that.

• ScubaMonster says:

@Kdansky Don’t get me wrong, I think the indie scene is great, but let’s be honest here; a lot of those indie games are crap you probably wouldn’t touch more than once or twice. For every good indie game there’s probably at least a dozen crappy ones. Hardly a replacement for AAA games.

• ScubaMonster says:

@Khatzen I disagree with you on the real money aspect. If I can make cash from playing Diablo 3 over and over, hell yes.

• Bhazor says:

The whole online DRM thing is just to protect their RMAH. Look forward to being constantly spammed either by Blizzard advertising their latest DLC, or gold farmers (who run the same dungeon again and again and again), or scammers (now your account will have direct access to credit card details) or a host of bots. Seriously “prevent cheating”? In a co-op game? Blows my mind.

But still, it doesn’t matter to me I because I won’t be playing the game. I’d like to. But I really honestly can’t.

• Brun says:

@InternetBatman:

Blizzard’s rationale behind the RMAH (re: gold farmers) is that it will provide a legitimate front for paying real money for in-game items (and indirectly, currency or gold). I think their theory is that the RMAH will “out-compete” the shady gold selling websites, but realistically all it will do is shift those transactions into the gameworld in their entirety. The real risk here is not that gold sellers will be attracted to the game, but that their activities will come to dominate the in-game economy.

As for the always-connected business, I really think that’s more about anti-cheating/anti-duping/anti-spoofing than it is about preventing piracy. Anyone who played Diablo II online knew how much of a problem hacking and spoofing were. The anti-duping/spoofing elements tie in with the RMAH. I am willing to believe, however, that anti-piracy was sort of a bonus to this whole scheme, rather than the intent behind it.

• dahools says:

At least the pirated version will be off-line only

• zergrush says:

What most people seem to forget when making the “Everyone will just spend a million bucks and get crazy strong” argument is that the only reason you could do that in D2 is duping. If Blizzard manages to make D3 dupe-free then the rare items will actually be RARE, so even with the RMAH most people won’t have Enigmas and shit because they will be subject to the intended low drop rates.

bglamb says:

“At least the pirated version will be off-line only”

No, there won’t be a pirated version. My understanding is that all of mobs, loot, NPCs, etc will be sever-side. If you hack the client to run without the server, you’ll just be running around an empty gameworld.

Even if someone makes their own server, you’ll be relying on them for the mob spawns, loot tables, etc. A vastly inferior experience in all regards, and one that is barely feasible.

And to those who say that the RMAH is the point of ‘always-on’, this doesn’t really explain why there isn’t an offline mode for characters that you never intend to take online. The RMAH doesn’t dictate that you can’t have a char for single-player only.

• Azru says:

So where do you guys live if you have problems with being online while playing? I’m from Poland, not the most technologically advanced country in the world with only borderline decent internet infrastracture and in the last year I was disconnected from the net only 4 times and not once was it for longer than few hours. So again, why would I or anyone not living in the middle of a desert care about D3 being always online?

Just askin’, don’t hate.

• Bhazor says:

@ Arzu

Actually a decent connection will disconnect maybe a dozen times a week. You just don’t notice because it’s only down for a second or two. The problem is if that happens in D3 even for a second your version wont be the same as the server side version. So you’ll be kicked back to the start again.

Thats not going into the inevitable server side problems or for people like me who spend most of their game time on the train,

• Azradesh says:

@ bglamb

Actually there’s been work of a server emulator for quite some time, it’s amazing how far they’ve gotten with just the beta to work with.

bglamb says:

Server emulation will never be able to match the mob/loot tables Blizz have designed.

And my internet (in London) has been off for 2 weeks now. I’m having to use a hugely expensive data-plan for my phone. Irritatingly, without the net, Steam wouldn’t let me log on (need to be online to enable offline mode apparently) and Starcraft wouldn’t let me play (same deal with offline mode). Steam also won’t log on through my phone’s internet, so my whole Steam account (almost 200 games) has been unplayable for a fortnight. But I can’t stay online for a multi-hour gaming session without breaking the bank.

But what about when I visit relatives. Most of my family have internet plans limited to a few gig a month. Or on the train. Or at college, university. Or, like I used to, living on a boat. Or just being a cheapass. Or whatever else.

I’ve never felt piracy is morally justified, but this recent net-less experience made me feel like such a class-A-idiot for actually spending money on the faffing things, when I could have been playing pirated versions if I’d just thought to download them instead of giving them all my faffing money.

• InternetBatman says:

@Azru The problem is not getting kicked off for hours, it’s the regular lag spikes that happen daily. In WoW it was not uncommon for a mob to get five or ten free hits while the network worked whatever kink out. That was in the US on a campus with a huge fiberoptic connection. It’s rare for me, on US cable in two major cities, to play a game like LoL without three or four five second lag blips in thirty minutes.

• RandomGameR says:

This setup is no different than Guild Wars except for the for pay auction house (which I have mixed feelings about).

Given server stability of WoW and its ability to cope with those seconds of disconnection I’m not concerned (also given my experience in beta I’m not concerned, save for whenever they release new invites and things get hairy).

It’s just not much of an issue.

• Joof says:

@Bhazor
      The internet isn’t that fragile. If the gamestates don’t match, it will just resync as soon as it gets over it’s lag spike. The drop would have to be for substantially longer than a second for it to boot you. Probably closer to 10-15 seconds, if not longer.

Hell, playing WoW, I’ve accidently turned off my Wi-Fi Adapter for a several seconds, turned it back on, and reconnected to my Wi-Fi network without getting booted to the login screen. The game will just say, “Hey, give me the gamestate.” and once it gets it, will update where everything is and you’ll be good to go.

• Azru says:

@InternetBatman

I must say I find what your describing really really odd. I’m a LoL player myself and I’ve played WoW for about 1.5 years and I must say I have pretty much never encountered random lag spikes in League of Legends on my connection (same goes for WoW). Or at least I never noticed any. Server-side issues on the other hand are a completely different matter and those, I agree, happen more often and can be annoying. But to be perfectly honest during the 18 months that I’ve played WoW there was only of handful occurances of lag that had any impact on my play experience. I simply do not understand the huge outcry from some people because from my own and my friends’ experience this is such a minor issue and with the internet connectivity getting better and better every year it will be even more negligible.

• Thants says:

The League of Legends launcher is the laggiest piece of software that I’ve ever used.

7. talon03 says:

It’s good to see a company treating a beta as what it is, a chance to pick out the bugs, fix systems in the game that aren’t working and generally make improvements so that their released product is as near to perfect as they can get it. As opposed to how betas are being treated more and more nowadays, just a re-branded time-limited demo.

Bluerps says:

An angry mod? First I thought that it might be one for Skyrim which makes all the people shout very much or something like that – but Wikipedia tells me that the mods were in fact a british youth culture in the 60s.
    … so, why is there an angry mod outside Blizzard’s studios?

Edit: Looks like the mod has gone home.

9. EmS says:

so what they are saying is: “we fucked up something and developed it this way anyway” to be true its not like they have no control what they are creating and all this stuff they are complaining about seems like stuff that you think about way before actually going into heavy development.
    or short
    it’ll sell millions anyway so why bother bringing it out yet

• InternetBatman says:

It’s more like they had a good idea, but it didn’t turn out well in the testing. Betas aren’t normally the place to add or remove features, but it’s much better than releasing the game with a lame or broken feature.

Lars Westergren says:

> or short it’ll sell millions anyway so why bother bringing it out yet

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. If they only cared about the money and not about the quality of the game or their reputation, they would release it NOW and get the cash in hand immediately, not increase development costs by delaying release.

• Bhazor says:

Especially when you can just sell that feature later on in your auction house for $10. Very shrewd.

Autopanda says:

Thats the first time I’ve looked at the inventory screens, etc.

Isn’t it all rather…Torchlight-y? Far more cartoony items, etc?
    NB: I am aware of the GrimDarkAngsty whining about the initial videos, etc.

• Matt says:

Don’t forget the “wow gayness”

• derbefrier says:

all i can do is laugh at that OMG THERES MORE THAN 3 COLORS ITS CARTOOOOONY

theres nothing resembling torchlight in this game. but i would guess torchlight has things that resemble diablo which i think is were you are confused

11. po says:

Dear Jay Wilson, shut up ‘shut up PvP guy’ guy.

In my opinion all the good Bliz devs left to work for SOPA opposing companies like Red 5 Studios (Firefall), Runic Games (Torchlight 2) and Riot Games (League of Legends).

What’s left is a bunch of talentless hacks, leeching business off the reputation of a company that was built by better men (and women).

This is how a good MMORPG developer is run. Not like this (also this, this, this, this and this)

12. DickSocrates says:

As long as it’s good. There’s a lot to be said about not getting interested in any game until it’s already out. I didn’t look at a single piece of Skyrim preview and didn’t think about the game until it was out. I plan to do the same for Diablo III and not drive myself insane. I did that with Arkham City for months, and look how that turned out.

13. Dominic White says:

And again, despite all the articles written on RPS about the game, there has still been absolutely no mention that the game is region-locked. Get the European version? Have friends in America? Well, fuck off because the internet has oceans now and the bytes can’t swim across them.

Apparently Blizzard are ‘trying hard’ to get this limitation removed, but are making no promises. Funny how I’m talking – with video and everything – with someone in America RIGHT THIS INSTANT without any problems, but Blizzard can’t seem to figure out how to manage basic intercontinental connection.

• Kdansky says:

The issue is again the RMAH: Money leaving the country? What about taxes and gambling laws? This is a huge legal issue they have to tackle.

And also their WoW server architecture (which they use as a back-end for SC2 and D3) wasn’t designed to do this, and rewriting that is certainly not trivial. People who actively demand this feature are a (vocal) tiny minority. Your wishes are being ignored because they are too expensive and Blizzard won’t see significant extra sales with that feature.

• freeid says:

Sorry to piss on your chips here mate but everything you just wrote is bullshit. There is no region locking in Diablo 3… at least no more than there was in Diablo 2.

You will however need to decide what region to have your chacters in, although you can play in any region, you cant transfer chacters between them.

couple of quotes for you

“With an NA account you’ll be able to play everywhere, but you’ll only be able to use the currency-based auction house in NA.”

“Just for normal play, imagine it like Diablo II. On every region you have access it’s a completely separate database, different gold auction house, and you have a different set of 10 characters available. Each region is a separate ‘realm’ of the game. We’ll have more information about the whole cross-regional play closer to launch.”

• Dominic White says:

So, the official Blizzard line has changed? Because through most of 2011, they had confirmed that it would work like Starcraft 2. You CAN play with people in other regions… if you pony up an extra $60 on an imported copy and create a new Battle.net account in that region. If they’ve finally somehow worked out how to make the internet work again? That’s cool. Still inexcusable that they had to work TOWARDS that point.

• Nevard says:

• Dominic White says:

Funny how they managed to do region-free online play right up until Starcraft 2. Yes, we should totally excuse them for removing these basic features that have been in place since the 90s because they went out of their way to set up a network infrastructure that somehow stops bytes from moving across the oceans.

People have told me that I’m whiny and have an entitlement complex because I ask that I be able to play with my friends in online games, and that I should feel bad for Blizzard because they’re trying REALLY HARD to work out basic IP to IP connections, because they’ve forgotten how they work. Fuck that noise.

• Nick says:

“It’s not inexcusable if you know how the server framework that they are using works or have any idea how much a pain in the ass network coding actually is ”

Sorry, but do YOU?

• po says:

Companies like Blizzard have no excuse, other than being crap at coding. Quakeworld was a player made mod, that at the time had the best network code out there for multiplayer gaming, allowing people to play with each other, even across trans-atlantic distances in some cases. The basics of TCP:IP or UDP networking have not changed much since then, and in fact the infrastructure of the internet has improved so that lag from the hardware has lessened.

Meanwhile, I played 32 player games of BF2 on a server the other side of the Atlantic, with a lower ping than I get playing games with similar player counts on Blizzard’s WoW servers the other side of the English Channel, which tells me that the majority of the lag is from the server’s network coding. This is backed up by the fact that when playing on US WoW servers, the lag does not increase significantly due to the added distance.

If I can take an active part in an Alterac Valley BG, comprised of 80 players, on a server located on the other side of the Atlantic, then it’s clear that the people Jay Wilson was responsible for hiring to develop Diablo III, simply do not have the level of competence required to produce good network code.

That seems to be a theme that runs right through Blizzard. Up to their neck in talented artists, who can make the games look good, but severly lacking in coding talent, so they have to ration them out between their many projects, most likely because many have left for other companies.

• Nevard says:

• RegisteredUser says:

Unlike the Hulk, I actually like you when you are angry Dominic.

14. Uglycat says:

Path of Exile is looking a much better alternative.

15. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Path of Exile. Check it out.

• mondomau says:

Yes, I would love to. Except I’ve been on the waiting list for the closed beta for nearly 6 months now and am clearly not getting in – the open beta is some vague time in 2012 and there’s precisely fuck all info on when it will launch properly.
      I am very much looking forward to the game but it’s been mentally shelved alongside D3 as ‘no point getting excited for a long time yet’.

• UncleLou says:

@mondomau
      I am in the PoE beta, and occasionally get a key to pass on. I’ll see what I can do, but I have no idea when I’ll get the next one. Do you have a Eurogamer nick so I could send you a message there?

• Demarcate says:

Well, I have a key if you want, it’s been rotting in my beta account for ages, and I don’t see why should I not pass the love around a bit.

Unfortunately, RPS does not conveniently provide an email to send to, so you’ll have to generate one personally.

• alseT says:

Hey if mondomau doesn’t respond I’d be super grateful for that key. You can find me at alset85 (splat) yahoo (blot) com

• derbefrier says:

yeah the game is looking pretty awesome i am pretty excited about this as well. this is shaping up to be a good year for ARPG fans with this and some of the other games mentioned here i am gonna be in ARPG heaven

16. Milky1985 says:

“So what’s holding them back from greatness?”

The ability to play the game on the train without a internet connection?

17. Gary W says:

It’s easy to tell what happened. They played Dark Souls and immediately went back to the drawing board.

Simple.

• Velvetmeds says:

That makes no sense.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It makes sense in the sense that any thread on any game, whether it’s RTS, FPS or hidden object, has to have a post saying how great Dark Souls is.

It’s an internet thing.

18. rollermint says:

All the D3 delays is getting me a strong vibe of “We need to make some more changes to D3 in order to accomodate and be more accessible to the console crowd”.

Yes I know they said they are just “exploring” the idea of a D3 console port but I’m convinced that they already decided on the matter.

• FataMorganaPseudonym says:

Well, in that case, at least it would be accommodating and accessible to someone. They’re certainly not interested in making changes to D3 in order to accomodate and be more accessible to the PC crowd (e.g. remove the always online connection requirement) after all.

• derbefrier says:

from what i have been able to dig up in the forums this change isnt dumbing down anything just making gear itemization and things like that a little easier and a little more diverse. with he old system everyone from the squishy mage to the barb was going to be wanting 2H weapons because of the way the old system worked. I know people like to speculate and because of a few design choices like the always online people like to assume the worst but come on this is blizzard here not freaking UBIsoft they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

19. Dys Does Dakka says:

So, when’s Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2 coming out?

• Nevard says:

I don’t know, why not try looking up an article for one of those games instead of asking about it on a different one?
      Or maybe try Google.

20. Etherealsteel says:

At this pace, D3 will be out at WoW’s next expansion.

21. derbefrier says:

unlike a lot of you speculators I have played the beta and its fine, works great and is a really fun fucking game. this is going to be the best ARPG since diablo 2. torchlight 2 is going to pale in comparison and we will all be like torchlight 2 what? oh you mean that little indie game no one cared about as soon as diablo 3 was released? :D

22. RegisteredUser says:

From what I read they are taking all the good ideas that Torchlight had and telling us they’re shit and that constantly breaking you out of the actual core slaughter-loot-fun gameplay is a good thing.

Well, given that they also think always on DRM that fucks you over and takes any control, fun or pause out of your game is a good idea, too, this is all consistent logic.

How there are > 0 fanboys for the Diablo games after Diablo 1(the one I played through) is beyond me to be perfectly honest.