CryCraft: Mod Minecraft Into Crysis

By Craig Pearson on January 20th, 2012 at 1:35 pm.

Fist of Fun was good, wasn't it?
Would you call Minecraft in the Crysis engine Mynecraft or Minecryft? I prefer the second, because the first could be a typo, whereas the only legitimate reason for coming up with the second is if there’s a Crysis mod that adds Minecraft to it. Wait, there is! And it’s called… what, ‘Craftable‘? Seriously?

How does Minecraft work in the Cryengine? There are limitations: there’s no randomly generated structures, no weapon crafting, no mining. Just a lot of blocks and space for you to build. It’s closer to a proof of concept than an actual mod, but I like that it exists: it mocks the original engine’s ability to make realistic vistas by dropping some classic 8-bit style visuals on the terrain. Depth of field and motion blur are all well and good, but look: we have coloured blocks!

You have a flat map, and the ability to pick and place blocks, just like in Mojang’s adventure game. There are 30 different blocks to place, although they’re only eye-candy: the TNT does not bring the bangs. Q brings up the selection menu, and you sort of punch the blocks into existence. Crysis always did good punching. From there it’s up to you to build what you want. Just like Minecraft’s Creative mode, you have unlimited blocks to make your masterpiece. Like I did. Observe!

Crysis should come with some sort of spellchecking software
Wait… damnit! Oh well, a video is a better way to see the mod in action.

, , , , .

LTK says:

I gotta admit, making Minecraft in Crysis is a lot more impressive than making Crysis in Minecraft.

2. Moni says:

Doesn’t half look gorgeous with those crepuscular rays coming off the roof.

I liked to imagine the suit announcing whenever a block was selected. “Maximum brick, maximum dirt, maximum pink fluff”, and so on.

3. SquareWheel says:

Oh, I love that music.

Lambchops says:

These posts by Craig Pearson make me sad. Not because Craig Pearson is a lachrymator, in fact he seems a lovely chap. No, it’s just that it reminds me of the arrivals of both of the Smiths which coincided with a member of the Hivemind saying goodbye. And that would be sad. Someone say it ain’t so!

5. Brosepholis says:

Glass casts shadows. Dude needs to fix that.

6. Heliocentric says:

I need to take this block building to the main campaign. Brick up the cave to the bad bits and write out “the end” on the wall.

Bugamn says:

There was at least one room that I found without floor.
      I mean, there was something down, but if I steped on it I would go throught right to my death being compressed by gravity at the center of Earth or so I suppose.

I could have used those blocks to get to the other end of the room.

• dee says:

There is no gravity at the center of the Earth.

Bugamn says:

There’s no going through the ground in the surface either, but that didn’t stop the game.

7. Inigo says:

I still find Monkey Island 2 in Crysis to be more impressive.

8. Text_Fish says:

It’s funny because if somebody went to the ModDB forums [or somewhere similar] and posted “HEY GUYS I had a great idea! We should remake Minecraft in Crysis!!!” they’d be flamed out of town for being derivative. But look, someone did it! Unlike 99.9% of mod ideas, this one actually has something to show for itself.

Actually, is that funny? I don’t know. Maybe it’s just sad that somebody with the knowhow to create a working mod is working on recreating something that already exists instead of investing their expertise in one of the thousands of genuinely original but sadly unfinished mod ideas out there.

Yeah. At first I was happy, but now I am sad.

• Inigo says:

Where did you think Minecraft came from?

• Blackcompany says:

This is exactly how I feel about things like this and Ponies replacing Dragons in Skyrim. Kudos that you could pull it off. Really.
      ……
      But is there nothing else you would rather see in games like Crysis and Skyrim than Ponies and Minecraft? Something…i don’t know…original?

• Tei says:

This is because 99.99% of the people that post on one of these forums “I want to make World of Warcraft, in Visual Basic, but with the characters of Star Craft” normally have not idea how to program, never did anything more complicated in his life than a sandwitch, and is actually hiring people more compotent than him to make the idea for him, and he to claim all the popularity.

But you have a point. If you have a idea like that “Make X with Y”. Don’t go to a forum for help, because on most forums people is tired of these questions.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

I’m just glad that people make mods, even really stupid proof-of-concept ones. Perhaps the experience gained in making this mod will contribute towards something more wild and innovative in the future.

Nogo says:

Most of these goofy mods are made in a short amount of time as learning exercises or experiments, so it’s a bit odd to ask that they apply their know-how to something original when chances are this is how they’re gaining said know-how.

9. Andrew says:

They should call it “Crynecraft”. Clearly.

• Urthman says:

I find this disappointing, because to me the essence of Minecraft isn’t building stuff with blocks, it’s that infinite proceedurally-generated terrain. If he can do *that* in Crysis, I’d be amazed.

10. returnString says:

Every time I see someone use Flowgraph logic in our engine to build game mechanics, I cry a little inside.

11. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Judging from his shadow, it looks like Steve’s been working out!

Morlock says:

Minecryst.

Mine, die, respawn

13. Bhazor says:

Anyone else think that block selection interface is a huge improvement from the Minecraft one?

• Tei says:

Horrible. Much slower than learning the key, but can be a interesting interface for a console minecraft clone.
      Also, how you drag and drop blocks from that?

• Bhazor says:

Since when did having an inventory screen prevent you having a quick select bar? It could be press tab to open inventory and then each block has its own hotkey.

• Urthman says:

You mean the way he has to do a 180-degree turn to get to half his blocks and can’t even see them all at one glance? Compared with a single screen with everything a few inches from each other that you can click on instantly? Fantastic.

You love the Skyrim interface too, don’t you?

• Bhazor says:

I forgot. Videogames are all about effeciency aren’t they.

“I don’t care what it looks like or the atmosphere or the artistry. Just so long as I can finish the game five minutes faster.”

The Skyrim interface has plenty of problems (mostly related to dual wielding) but the stars was not one of them. Meer’s wierd anger at the star based character screen was probably my biggest RPS disapointment last year. Seriously, its a game, it’s not meant to be an efficency test. The fact it took all of 10-20 seconds longer to pick your skills seemed to genuinely upset him.

I’ll take atmospheric, in universe swishy inventory/interfaces over Microsoft Excell efficiency any day.

Aninhumer says:

The efficiency of the interface is very important because you’re using it all the time. If you make a pretty but ultimately clunky and slow interface, the first few times you see it you’ll think it’s neat, then after a while the novelty wears off and it’s just irritating. I’m not saying interfaces shouldn’t be pretty, but never at the cost of convenience.

14. cpy says:

You know what? I still like minecraft minecraft better. Nice but, it’s not minecraft, it’s not generated world where you can do ANYTHING you want only limited by imagination and 16×16 textures. :)

15. Inglourious Badger says: