Use Wallet On Charity – The AGS Bake Sale

By Richard Cobbett on January 20th, 2012 at 5:09 pm.

He's probably looking for his wallet.

Another day, another games bundle? Yes… but more importantly, also no. The AGS Bake Sale is a collection of 14 mostly point-and-clicky games that even the most hardcore adventurer won’t have played yet, because all of them were written specifically for it. In addition, every last penny earned will be going straight to Child’s Play, possibly in a big blue collection plate. The developers are taking nothing. Not even chocolate money. That is how much they care!

The games are an eclectic selection, including 9 Months In, about a pregnant, wrongly accused prison inmate out to prove her innocence, the somewhat Bastion-resembling Falling Skyward, and even a platform game written in the AGS engine because why not called Indiana Rodent and the Raiders of the Lost Cheese. Check them all out right here.

As ever, you get to pick your own donation, from a minimum of $1.50 to whatever your heart deems appropriate. The more you give, the happier you’ll make a lot of sick kids.

Update: Looks like the site is currently under heavy load. If you know you want to donate and don’t need to see the games first, here’s a direct link to the (external) purchase page.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. engion3 says:

Is that the dude from Dungeons of Dredmor

2. wccrawford says:

“Service Unavailable” :( So very sad. :(

3. roryok says:

I guess we’ll all have to wait till later, site is down again

4. MisterS42 says:

I wasn’t interested until I saw that RAM Ghost game and it mentioned Little Computer People!!! I can’t tell you how much I missed that game and have tried to find an emulator to run it… Sold!

5. the.celt says:

I’m not really understanding their methods. It might be a way of handling website overload, but I can’t find a description of what’s avalable. The links above lead to a “Contact Information” page that begins the purchase process. The links at the top of the page (Home, Store, etc) have nothing to say about a bundle either.

Confused am I.

6. Igor Hardy says:

There’s a mirror (or rather direct link to the store): http://www.twin-design.com/ags/bakesale/

7. Zarunil says:

All I get is the checkout page. I’d like to know what I’m tossing my money at, so I’ll wait a few hours.

8. LionsPhil says:

Blue mug in the screenshot. I see what they did there.

9. fartron says:

Child’s Play is stupid.

Buy games if you want.

Stop pretending it’s for charity.

• Treebard says:

I’ve got nothing against charity + games, per se, but I do wish these bundles would realize there are plenty of other (better) charities I’d rather throw my cash at than Child’s Play.

• FionaSarah says:

I’m glad someone said it before me. I am absolutely sick of everyone giving money to Child’s Play. Sure it’s a charity, but it’s one of the most least worthwhile charities imaginable and it’s annoyingly that it’s everyone’s first port of call is because it’s kinda related to games I guess.

I always feel like a dick bringing it up, but I’d much rather people gave their money to charities organising relief efforts, humanitarian aid or important medical research. I was in hospital as a kid, they had a half-broken down 386 machine with Prince of Persia installed. It was great. It doesn’t matter if they get X-Boxes. With all the money that has been given to Child’s Play you could probably buy each sick child in hospital their own X-Box.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Your mom is stupid.

• aerozol says:

Breaking news!
      Fartron on RPS claims that Childs Play is stupid! Was-on-the-scene-for-a-few-days-as-a-kid-way-back-when opinion holder FionaSarah brings ground-breaking street-level evidence that sick kids don’t need entertainment! Raiyan 1.0 brings the heat with his sharp observation to the contrary!
      Stick with us folks, who knows what’ll happen next!

10. DaveGilbert says:

Hi everyone. The site is having a bit of teething troubles at the moment. We received a lot more interest than we bargained for! The website should be working normally now.

-Dave

• Parable says:

Hi Dave, I know I’m not alone when I bring this up, and I do so with the greatest of delicacy. I was wondering if there were perhaps a more warranted charity to donate to? Child’s Play is great and all but I feel as though my money is wasted, there are plenty of worthwhile charities and more importantly global charities that I feel better deserve my money.

• Llewyn says:

I fail to see the problem. Purchase the bundle at a low amount, knowing that you’re giving some money to the charity that the games’ developers have chosen to support (bearing in mind that while we’re contributing money they’re contributing their time to charity). Then make an additional donation – separate from any regular giving you might make – for the difference between that and the amount you’d have donated to a more worthwhile cause, directly to your chosen charity.

You could then go further and email one/some/all of the developers telling them what you’ve done, and who you’ve chosen to support in their name. I cannot imagine that any of them would be offended by this – I think it’s more likely they’ll be delighted to hear that their efforts are having a wider impact, and that people value what they’ve done enough to use it as a catalyst for giving to other charities.

Actually, I might do this myself.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Well said indeed, Llewyn…

Unfortunately the human condition dictates that most people will continue spending the same time commoanting than the time it takes to take the action that would save them having to commoant on.

Go on whingers – prove me wrong, I dares ya!

11. Llewyn says:

Arghreplyfailhell.

12. phlebas says:

Bought! So – which are the good ones?