Air Buccaneers HD Is Full Of Hot Air

By Jim Rossignol on January 21st, 2012 at 11:17 am.

Behold! A trailer for the Air Buccaneers HD remake has just floated into view. Blast it from the skies of perception by engaging it with your eyes, or something. It shows the scale of the new game, and also how faithful it seems to be to the original mod. I am genuinely excited about this – we’ll have to organise some more RPS games as the development progresses. It’s not quite clear how far along things are, as they’re still describing it as an alpha, but hopefully they’ll hit beta soon.

, .

1. Squishpoke says:

When I get this game, I want a pilot called Mr. Winslow.

“Mr. Winslow?”

“Aye?”

“Set sail for that rock.”

“But… what about the map, sir?”

2. SlyTheSly says:

Neeeeed, neeeeeeeeeed ! Been waiting for this since…Well since I’ve stopped playing the UT2004 mod, shame on me. Anyway, I’m ready to redeem myself.

3. Davee says:

That looks terrific! And they seem to already have my favourite gamemode implemented – the one with the semi-stationary “fortress” balloon (can’t quite remember what it was called).

And remember that the Pre-Alpha is still available for download and play: http://www.ludocraft.com/games/airbuccaneers/2011/12/22/airbuccaneers-hd-pre-alpha-is-out-for-download/

Let’s just hope they can release a public Alpha build too, soon! :D

• Shatners Bassoon says:

Yarr! Davee tis Aethelwulf from ye olde Vikingr mod. Also a massive fan of the old Air Buccaneers and have been attempting to get Eirikur and the ole Lewes Fyrders in for a game. You must join us some time.

4. SlyTheSly says:

Wow I missed the info about the pre-alpha, downloading now :)
    Thx mate(y).

5. Gary W says:

Looks good. I was worried that they would mess up the art direction, but it seems OK.

• LionsPhil says:

Although, if anything, for a game with “HD” in its name (i.e. they are promoting graphical improvements), it still looks an awful lot like a UT2004 mod, complete with iffy big-billboard-sprite particle fog and explosions.

• noodlecake says:

MEH! The art direction is lovely. You could have the best particle effects in the world and push your graphics card to it’s limit and still have a terrible looking game. I think it looks lovely. But I’m an artist so I would see it that way. :S

• noodlecake says:

Although I never saw the original mod so…

• explodeydendron says:

@noodlecake: It does look lovely. The mod had an awesome atmosphere though, that I’m hoping they’ll try to replicate in some way. It was like a dark alien bayou.

Bastimoo says:

Any server with ppl playing on it online?

7. Network Crayon says:

I’ve gone blimp…

Harlander says:

I may be being stupid, but I can’t figure out the answer to this question from their site:

Is this being made in the new stand-alone UDK thingumer?

9. Hydrogene says:

I’ve never played the mod, but it’s really nice to see people working on totally original ideas. And it looks promising!

10. oldkc says:

A blimp with Santa and Chuck Norris….. I don’t think any of us have a chance against that, not with their track record…..

11. NamelessPFG says:

I tried the pre-alpha 0.1, but nobody was playing. Exactly the same problem I had playing the UT 2004 mod after a while…

Let’s hope that this standalone version picks up an active playerbase. It deserves it.