Mass Effect 3 Single Player Shows Mars

By Jim Rossignol on January 21st, 2012 at 11:31 am.

Not the best quality video, for some reason, but the chaps at Evil Avatar spotted a Bioware trailer showing off Mass Effect 3 single player and talking to developer Mac Walters. I’m not sure if this was the video Bioware intended to release as it seems to cut out at the end there. I’ll have a look around and see if there’s a fuller version. Oh: there’s a full version on GTTV.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Wut The Melon says:

As is actually mentioned in the video itself (… : P) , it’s part of a GTTV episode with some more ME3 footage. Link: http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/144?ch=1

2. codename_bloodfist says:

Okay, who’s willing to bet that the franchise will just end with a deus ex machina appearing on Mars?

3. MSJ says:

Nobody yet? Good!

Get your Mass to Mars!

4. iARDAs says:

This game will be the ERIC CARTMAN of all games. Simply EPIC.

5. Orija says:

Ka-me… ha-me…

6. SlyTheSly says:

I’m playing Mass Effect 2 (with all DLC) right now and well… I like the game overall, but there are some problems… It’s been way too simplified (no numbers to tell you which weapon is better, no selling stuff, only 4 abilities per character, smaller areas, etc.).

I’d say it’s not a very good RPG, not a very good TPS, but a good game :p

(The probe thing is kinda awful though, I’m part of the minority who liked driving on the planets during the first episod…:( And this probing also wastes a lot of time in my opinion…)

I hope that Mass Effect 3 will improve the quality of the fights (the TPS part) and be a bit more subtle than “wow, a big room with tons of cover, i’m really WONDERING what will happen here where I step in…”.

If the choices, the characters relationships, etc. are still there, and the scenario is good, I think it can be pretty good.

Problem : EA, origins and the DLCraps.

Typically the game I won’t buy before 2014 except for a very good deal. But no Steam, no Steam sales…so… we’ll see… (and if buying a few DLC costs more than buying the actual game…hum…-_-)

• InternetBatman says:

I agree with the good game, bad shooter / rpg. I enjoyed it a lot, but for a good portion of the game I simply ignored cover because I didn’t need it.

• westyfield says:

Driving around in the Mako was fun up until the physics bugged out and you got stuck on a tiny rock.
      Probing was fun up until you did it.

Also, re: weapons – I quite liked not having a big THIS IS THE BEST GUN indicator. Meant I actually tried out the different weapons and decided which ones best suited me.

• NathanH says:

One thing that the shooting in ME2 does quite well is scale quite nicely with difficulty. If you play on Normal it is straightforward and you are a powerhouse of destruction, which fits quite nicely with the lore and is quite satisyfying. As you increase the difficulty, you have to play it in a noticeably different way, but the game still holds up quite well.

I enjoy playing on Normal and I enjoying playing on the second-highest difficulty (the top one is a bit OTT). There aren’t too many games that let me do that.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

I loved the Mako…

• Caleb367 says:

I liked the no numbers thing. ME2 gets one thing right and that’s weapon management – no weapon is better or worse than another, it all boils down to your playstyle and preferences. For example, have you tried playing at a high level with the starting handgun instead of its “upgrade”? It’s not worse, it’s just… different. Don’t think to use that as a cheap sniper rifle substitute in which you line up headshots at long range, slowly and carefully; instead it works like a sidearm, the thing to unload in a vorcha’s knees as it charges towards you.

• Maktaka says:

@Caleb367 That’s not quite true. The weapon you can pick up on the Reaper ship is a complete upgrade in that category over the ones that came before it. E.g. the Widow sniper rifle is a complete upgrade over the Mantis in every way, but you have no way of knowing that because the game doesn’t tell you. The Carnifex IS a complete upgrade over Predator when you look up its numbers on the wiki, but the player is left to think it’s just an alternative because they don’t have the numbers they need to make an informed decision.

And then there’s the DLC weapons, which are always straight upgrades over other weapons.

• soldant says:

Mass Effect was ridiculous when it came to weapons though. How many Lancer II assault rifles and Polonium Rounds I upgrades do I need? Once you got the Specter gear all the other guns were useless. 98% of what you picked up in ME was junk and fit only to be sold, and it was made infinitely worse by that abysmal interface. I’m glad they changed ME2′s weapon system so that I didn’t end up with a scrolling list of pointless weapons I was just going to sell… when I already had a fortune in credits anyway.

7. siegarettes says:

I should be more excited about this game. Spent many an hour in the second, lost myself in the lore and conversation. Maybe it was because the Guns N Conversation was relatively new. The second had a relatively intimate story, mostly focusing on the crew members.

This new one is all large scale and about invasion. That and the gameplay they are showing off just reminds me of Gears of War, which isn’t encouraging storywise. I’m hoping its all just for marketing.

• Network Crayon says:

My sentiments exactly.

It gives the impression of being like ‘hey remember how much you loved building a relationship with your squad/cross section of interstellar society?’

‘well guess what!? we’ve made you Gears of Halo instead!’

Hope we’re wrong…

• bleeters says:

Advertising that a Bioware product involves a hefty amount of character-interaction driven narrative would be akin to announcing that the sky is blue. It’s been their thing for around a decade now.

• MSJ says:

It seems silly to say they will completely abandon the conversations and character interactions. None of the Mass Effect games have been famous for either the combat (which most players think of like they think of air; it’s just there) or the ‘RPG mechanics’ (I have only heard of them annoying people in ME1). It’s always “did you kill Wrex”, “Holy God, they are walking ON the Citadel Tower”, “Whoa, Mordin is singing” and “[RIGHT HOOK]“.

• Burning Man says:

This is true and does give me hope that the game will indeed be about character development. Wouldn’t be ME without some disengenuous assertations, after all. However, no pre-orders, no going near the game until most of the internet has formed an opinion I can peruse. I really hope it will be good, as we haven’t had a good SP Bioware game in a while, but I don’t trust them.

8. Prime says:

American TV presenters have always appear to me to be adult versions of the Children of the Corn. Not quite human. I have real trouble taking them seriously. Those Disney-trained facial expressions, the super-eagerness, the robotic way they rattle through sentences…it’s unsettling.

9. cjlr says:

You know how sometimes you can really look forward to something and yet at the same time be really apprehensive about it because you’re worried it is going to seriously disappoint your own eager anticipation?

Yeah.

• Inarborat says:

Yep. I have absolutely no faith in Bioware’s writers after DAII and ME2. All their talk of chasing the big gun titles (COD, Assassin’s Creed, GTA games, etc.) in terms of sales figures is a tad off putting, too. It’s a nice goal to have but they need to humble their expectations a bit.

I’m still a bit miffed it was my fault I didn’t like Dragon Age 2 according to their dev team. I didn’t appreciate the innovations they brought to the game nor did I appreciate how rushed and unfinished the game was.

• MSJ says:

Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect are handled by completely different teams. I don’t think they are even in the same city. It’s like Ion Storm, who made both Deus Ex and Daikatana.

• Burning Man says:

They’re on different floors of the same building IIRC. They claim to collaborate on stuff. So no, it’s not paranoia.

• MSJ says:

They don’t have the same writers, though. And the Mass Effect developers are clearly better if you go to the forums and follow Casey Hudson’s twitter.

10. akeso says:

If I were Bioware, I wouldn’t do ANYTHING that confirms story data from that god awful leaked script.

This however does just that.

11. Gira says:

ME1 was average, ME2 was abominable and embarrassing, and ME3 will likely destroy humanity with its awfulness. But it will sell a lot of copies in the interim.

12. Cirdain says:

Lighting in this video is fucking god awful…… But I’m sure they were just showing a beta build or somin’ but, godamn it’s shitty.

Comment on this story