Clock-Watching With Doctor Who

By Alec Meer on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:30 pm.

Please don't let Alex Kingston be in the next series Please don't let Alex Kingston be in the next series Please don't let Alex Kingston be in the next series

Aha! Missed this last week – a trailer for the upcoming ‘proper’ Doctor Who game, The Eternity Clock, which is due out on PC, PlayingStation 3 and Vitalite later this year. I don’t know what I was expecting it to be – I guess more slightly awkward point’n'click adventure fare – but so far as I can tell from this it’s a sort of side-scrolling shooty platformer.

Puts me slightly in mind of Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light, only with more Alex Kingston breathlessly saying the name of famous Who monsters. Her River Song appears to be doing plenty of shooty-bang-bang, but I can’t work out what it is the Doctor (real name Malcolm McDoctor) himself is doing when she’s doing her gunwoman thing. Is he an NPC chaperoned and protected by player-as-River? Is he purely jumpy? Does he have sonic screwdriver-waving deus ex machina abilities? Will there be collectable Fezzes hidden around the levels for achievement fiends? Oh, I don’t know. Just watch the trailer, why don’t you?

Hmm. Well, maybe it’ll be better than the last Christmas special. Which wouldn’t be hard, admittedly.

, .

Keymonk says:

Hm… I wonder what LEGO Dr. Who would be like.

• Nevard says:

I can’t think having a pacifist main character would much fit the traditional Lego Adaptions framework, sadly

• Optimaximal says:

Why not? He could just be a character who could interact with the environment with his screwdriver whilst the companions do the hitting and shooting.

Has everyone forgot that the first LEGO Star Wars had characters that couldn’t do everything?

• CMaster says:

The Doctor isn’t a pacifist. He just restricts himself to mass murder, never bothering with murder on an individual scale.

• Starky says:

Kill one man it is murder, kill a million men and it is statistically Dr Who.

2. Red_Avatar says:

Doesn’t look that bad, actually. They could have gone for another lame 3rd person action “RPG” but at least the premise allows for something more original.

3. Nevard says:

Why’s it still got that annoying child singing a nursery rhyme at the end?
    Not only was that not particularly creepy or dramatic the first time it was introduced, I’m pretty sure they already entirely dealt with what it was related to it in the plot.

• Porkolt says:

Actually, I’m pretty sure they’re going to be tying that in constantly as ominous foreshadowing of what will happen in this year’s series.

4. nblake42 says:

I’ve waited twenty years for a really good Doctor Who computer game.

I don’t have high hopes for this.

5. pmanpman says:

Reminds me of the christmas special where the doctor was locked in a box and timed was deleted

6. Tams80 says:

“Playstation and ” ” are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Eh?!

The game looks interesting anyway. I do want to play as The Doctor more though. River Song is cool and all, but nowhere near a cool as The Doctor. Fezzes trump all though.

• Nevard says:

Hey! I saw plenty of spaces in your post.
      That’s copyright infringement!

• Wabznasm says:

Haha! Well spotted.

Plainly Sony’s lawyers have laid claim to the spaces between words.

Nowweallhavetotypelikethis.

• Tams80 says:

That’scopyrightinfringement!Iswhatyoumean’ttosayNevard.

7. Bostec says:

That last Christmas special really was dire. What on earth were they thinking? Then again it was the worst Christmas on TV I’v ever seen. Its a good job I don’t watch TV unless something good comes around and thats about every six months.

• Nevard says:

The most recent series in general was Dire, and this was going into it already expecting at least half the episodes to be fairly uninteresting.
      But hey, you have to watch it. It’s Doctor Who!

• Acorino says:

The last series made me a fan. A true, utterly obsessed fan. Heck, I even started watching the classic series now, and I’m enjoying it a lot. Mostly, anyways.
      Season 6 wasn’t perfect, but there is truly nothing else like it on TV. And while the quality of the stories fluctuated wildly, it reached more heights than past seaons.
      The wait for season 7 is annoyingly, nail-bitingly long…
      But yeah, the christmas special. Didn’t like it much either. Mainly the main plot on the forest planet was pretty uninteresting and didn’t involve me at all. And the sentimentality, I guess which is so typical of Christmas stories, was annoying. But then, the end scene with Amy and Rory was pretty sweet.

• Tams80 says:

The last series wasn’t too bad, but I found the Christmas Special plain boring. Just as I though something interesting might happen, it ended, though because I read something somewhere about it I could tell it was the end.

8. Jahkaivah says:

I swear by the time they make a Doctor Who game with Weeping Angels in it the rest of the video game world will have done the “they only move when you aren’t looking” thing to death. They’re even a Minecraft mod for crying out loud.

Also how the hell are the Silence supposed to work? Is this going to be the first video game to inject amnesiatic drugs into the player? (Or at least the only one I haven’t consequently forgotten about…)

• Vinraith says:

Overuse a type of villain and it ceases to be any kind of threatening. It happened to the Daleks in Who and the Borg in Star Trek, it’s already starting to happen to the weeping angels. It’s never going to happen, but I truly wish sci fi writers would be more sparing in how they use their great villains.

• Baf says:

On the other hand, “they only move when you aren’t looking” has a much longer history in videogames than the Weeping Angels. Really, the Weeping Angels should be considered an imitation of the ghosts in the Mario games. The Mario ghosts even cover their faces with their stubby little arms when you turn around!

• Acorino says:

I really wish they wouldn’t recycle old enemies for this video game. Why can’t they create some new Whovian enemies instead showcasing all the old ones?
      I love the variety of Doctor Who, so seeing the Daleks and Cybermen again in the trailer didn’t excite me, instead it made me sigh.
      We haven’t seen too much of the Silence so far, so I’m okay with them, but I wonder how they will work in the game.
      Well, let’s see. The game might still be good. But I wouldn’t bet on it.

9. Atrak says:

I wholeheartedly agree with your alt text… fingers crossed the Dr Song arc is done with forever!

• Prime says:

Dear Lord, yes. As much as I like her character it’s a terrible thing to have a song stuck in your head that you just can’t get rid of…

10. CaspianRoach says:

Wow. A great idea ruined by the gameplay being a 2.5D platformer.

11. Neurotic says:

What’s “Vitalite”? Sounds like some kind of diet spread you’d find on Ryvita in the morning.

12. Prime says:

Am definitely buying this. I don’t think it will be very good as a whole but I’m absolutely certain it will have tiny little moments peppered through it that will make my inner Doctor Who Fan squee with delight.

13. Jahandar says:

I’d be curious to know where the story is coming from, who’s writing it. I think that will make or break this game.

• Prime says:

{From Supermassivegames’ website] “Written in conjunction with the Cardiff production team”,

Whatever that means.

14. wodin says:

I actaully really enjoyed the last Xmas special…I found the Xmas before to be rather poor though.

I am a massive Dr Who fan..Tom Baker being my favourite with Matt in second.

15. Prime says:

Arse, damn and blast it to buggery! Sony-machine exclusive! No PC release in Europe! >:(

• Dismus says:

Read your own link. “The game is still on track for a PC release.”