Guild Wars 2 Due During Mayan Apocalypse

By Alec Meer on January 23rd, 2012 at 10:21 am.

Eddie the Lizard here is going to taste the raw power of 2x anti-aliasing on my GeForce 560 soon, hopefully.

As every complete tool in the world has already tediously blared several dozen times, 2012 is the year we’re all going to die. I think John Cusack’s going to strangle us all or something? Hopefully we’ll get a chance to finally play the 88 billion years in the making Guild Wars 2 before then, though. NCSoft have just revealed that it’s definitely down for a 2012 release, and that there’ll be an open beta in March or April. ‘Select press’ will be allowed in at some point in February, so expect previews to land around about then. Can I be a select press, please? Also it’s my birthday in February. Also the Mayans famously prophesised that I would be allowed onto the beta of a highly-anticipated MMO sequel, and I’m almost certain they weren’t talking about Asheron’s Call III.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Torticoli says:

Good news. I hope SW:TOR will still be around and healthy by then, the MMO market desperately needs some strong competition.

2. Suits says:

I’ll be ‘select press’ too please :|

• Fede says:

“Press Select” and hope for the best!

• Merus says:

I’ve been a paid writer, I’ve written about MMOs in the past, I totally qualify as press, please let me play your pretty game.

3. lunarplasma says:

First DLC will be Mayan Apocalypse costume.

4. Sp4rkR4t says:

I will selectively press on anything they want to be able to play the beta.

5. Valvarexart says:

Where do I apply to be select press?

6. Maxheadroom says:

Ack I read the headline and thought they’d released an actual ship date. I was all set to book some time off work!

‘sometime’ 2012 sounds like Q1 2013 to me :(

• Quine says:

Better book 2012 off just to be sure, though.

I heard the bringer of doom would be James Purefoy…

7. Lobotomist says:

Disappointing is what you read between the lines – and that is the fact that GW2 will not be launched in April , as many believed.

In fact they say that in april they will be ramping up the beta. Which means that release will not come before June…

Times it takes to make games lately is getting ridiculous. GW2 was in production for more than 8 years now… And I dont think that such long development times serve games in any beneficial way.

Quite contrary , they are launching with outdated engines, gameplay ideas that were fresh few years ago. Not to mention that by the time they launch there are allready more innovative titles on horison.

Now I am not saying that this will be the case for GW2

But they are pretty close to that line.

• Screwie says:

Woah, woah. Eight years ago Guild Wars 1 hadn’t even been launched yet.

Development began on GW2 in early 2007, and 5 years is not significantly longer than a typical MMO development timeline.

• Lobotomist says:

Nitpicking.

BTW it was announced 5 years ago. Development began at least year before.

Beside the point -

The MMO developments take too long. And that is a negative fact in the industry.

And GW2 easily takes the torch as one of longest developed.

Now in game industry Longer =/= better

I still expect GW2 to be the best thing since sliced bread. But they are slipping. And it can not be good.

• paterah says:

I don’t think you could be more wrong. Development started on GW2 in 2007 and I certainly didn’t expect it to release in April, in fact Q3/Q4 seemed more plausible. Also what other games does what GW2 does? Cause I honestly can’t think of any and even if they get announced they will be few years from release.

• Chalky says:

They’re not “slipping” just because you had some baseless expectations that they did not live up to. Nobody believed “April” any more than they believed “January 2010″ – and believe me, there are people who believed that too.

Anet have never revealed a date for GW2 that they have not met by virtue of never revealing any dates. These are the first dates, and it certainly seems feasible that they will hit them.

I see no tangible slippage if you take baseless expectations out of the picture.

• Lobotomist says:

Wohoho, hold your horses rabid fanboy gentleman. I am but one of you!

Just saying that MMOs (in general) take way too long to make. And its hurting them.

For example SWTOR would receive much less flak if it was released year earlier.

As for GW2

I dont think it will slip. Or anything like that.
      Just saying that they are close to the border where innovative games become old even before they are released….And not only that.
      Games that are delayed too often, have reasons why they are delayed. And those reasons are often real bad.
      Like gameplay just not being right (and thats just the worst thing that can happen to game)

Example : Tabula Rasa

Or whole engine got outdated : example “Pray”

… etc

• CptPlanet says:

I like how when a user gets debunked he resorts to the fanboi statement for no apparent reason. You still haven’t stated why the engine is outdated btw or why it won’t be innovative even if it released next year.

• Lobotomist says:

To be debunked , you must be debunked of something.
      And if its 6 vs 8 years development time. Bah! I simply didnt check wikipedia.

I didnt say GW2 was outdated or something. But that it MIGHT (key word) get outdated if it slips even more to 2013.

And I was talking GENERALLY (key word) about MMO development taking too long.

Again I am fool to argue about such vague things.

Who gets it gets it. Who dont dont.

• Screwie says:

Well then, about the point you’re trying to make…

MMO development takes a long time as its the nature of the genre. There are games in the market that are still relevant and popular that were released 7 or more years ago (shortly after GW2 was announced!). Few other game types have to deal with that level of competition. As such every new MMO has an difficult bar in terms of content and polish – one which is ever-raising, too – before you even look at the added costs of newer graphics or innovation.

Many MMOs have been released earlier in their development, and generally they have been really buggy, unpolished and/or lacking in content – and they’ve been critically panned for such as a result. Early release has been tried and its failed over and over. Now, with RIFT, SWTOR and GW2 among others, the trend is moving toward “when it’s done”. I think that’s better for the life of the game and the genre as a whole.

I honestly think if SWTOR was released a year ago it would have been unfinished and unplayable. Some things really do just take a long time to make.

Also there are plenty worse things to complain about in the MMO business than developmental tardiness. I wouldn’t even worry about losing an innovative edge as the genre’s demonstrated itself to be particularly resistant engaging new ideas. The best concepts in older games (that aren’t WoW) are only just being picked up by other developers now. Sidekicking in good ol’ City of Heroes. The Secret World is using an equip-able skills system very much like Guild Wars, a game which must be over 10 years old by some peoples’ reckoning. That is a long time to wait for evolution.

So basically, I disagree. Just be patient and wait for the game to be finished to the developers’ satisfaction. The genre’s not going to leave it behind, because it’s barely moving at all.

8. Screwie says:

Speaking as a jaded MMO player who’s been burned by pretty much every game launch since my first one, I… actually really cannot wait to get my hands on this game.

I am surprised and a little scared by how much their talk of design innovations has eroded my many layers of calcified boredom and disappointment.

Nice to see that the end of the wait is finally in sight.

• Dominic White says:

I like that it’s not just them talking big – they’ve been letting people play the game and record hours of live footage of it over the past two years now, and it looks like a genuinely fun game. They’re confident in it and want to show it off.

Recent PvP show-matches have been particularly impressive. It does seem to have a very fast (nobody is standing still and cycling skills, ever) but quite deep combat engine.

• Tacroy says:

What the combat really reminds me of is a vastly expanded and modernized version of Nox. Fast-paced and closer to arcadey, with customizable class-based abilities.

• Merus says:

I flew in to PAX in 2010 and checked it out there, having heard little about it and having to be convinced to give it a try. It was really, really impressive.

I’d always thought that to get some real innovation in the MMO space, you’d need an established company with enough money to launch strong to build a game that was initially reminiscent of WoW, but had a combat system that greatly increased the skill ceiling, eliminated the holy trinity and asked all players to actively contribute, and made it incredibly simple for friends and strangers to play together and get something out of the experience.

I was convinced Valve would be the only ones to do it. But Guild Wars 2 is totally that game – it may not invert the MMO genre as WoW did back when it first came out and improved substantially on Everquest, but at least it will fail in new and interesting ways.

• Dominic White says:

When you think about it, the game has a very Valve like design-ethos to it. It’s still surprising that Arenanet seem to be the first big MMO studio to ask ‘Why is it this way? Why can’t it be different?’ regarding most standard design elements in the genre.

I’m personally looking forward to the world-vs-world PvP stuff. Big Planetside-esque shared map that everyone fights over with various objective points to capture/hold. Could be fun.

9. Orija says:

That the beta in March and April will be open isn’t really mentioned.

10. Reikon says:

I wish Asheron’s Call III were true if it was like the original and not the horrible sequel.

• deadly.by.design says:

Seconded. I have many good gaming memories from Asheron’s Call. (woo, Thistledown server!)

• Kaltano says:

I immediately went to google thinking, wait when was AC3 announced?! how did i miss that?

• Reikon says:

Wintersebb! And my brief experience on Darktide running for my life whenever I saw another player.

AC was probably the only MMORPG I played that I didn’t care about leveling too much. Running around exploring was what made it so fun. Nowadays, it’s all about going to the next set of NPCs with markers above their head so they can tell you exactly what to do. :(

11. aeromorte says:

Mayans predicted the release of Guild Wars 2 thats why they stopped thier calendar … there will be no better mmo after that

12. Misfit410 says:

That Concerns me, the Mayans were known for having a solid grasp of things to come, that is why they had such strong survival skills and are still around today.

13. jjujubird says:

Really can’t wait. Hoping that SWTOR and GW2 have successful 2012s for the sake of competitiveness in the MMO market.

14. blazeandfrost says:

Guild Wars 2 is shaping up to be a very diverse MMORPG, and by that I mean its races. Races are an important part of MMOs. They offer options to the player and help make the in game world feel whole. We have gone over the races that we will have the opportunity to play as, but many of us have forgotten about the other races. We will be able to explore their villages and cities, accept quests from them, and even meet them on the battlefield. Given all this interaction with them, it makes sense that a lot goes into these races, even if we won’t be playing as them. So let’s go over what makes these races awesome, and not just a random race put in for players to get a few quests from. Have you check out guild wars 2 beta keys?